KtotheIMMY
+513|6754
Apart from the fact that it's not even six in the morning and I don't have to be awake for, oh six or seven more hours, these thoughts came to me during my brief holiday from unconsciousness. I apologize if my thoughts aren't all that concise or precise. Everything sounded good in my head.

1. What is YOUR personal definition of a n00b?

2. What does it take for a person to qualify as a non-n00b?

3. Can the term n00b be used in a positive manner? "I have a great idea, let's kill all the n00bs! It will be fun", does not qualify as being positive.

Last edited by KtotheIMMY (2005-10-27 15:56:46)

Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6754

n00b: newbie who just doesn't get any better nor smarter.

newbie: not good nor smart

a newbie turns into an amateur over time.

n00bs do not.

go sleep.
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6815|Germany
n00b: game would be better without him

ah yes: sleep! ^^ stats server down anyway

Last edited by AndrewPoison (2005-10-27 02:49:44)

Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6765|Hamburg, Germany
hm... everyone ecept me
pinky_81
+1|6780|Denmark

AndrewPoison wrote:

ah yes: sleep! ^^ stats server down anyway
Ea's stat server? Damn - havent played for a little week and now my many points from yesterday are lost again?? not feeling lucky here... ??

Pinky
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6815|Germany
well, the server are now up again.... was just a couple of hours.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6832|Cologne, Germany

I believe the definition has slightly changed over the years. Here goes.

Newbie ( or noob, n00b, b00n, naP ) used to be a term describing someone being new at s.th. and therefore asking seemingly stupid questions and acting foolishly. It is important to note that the term was not derogatory or meant as an insult, because that specific person's mistakes didn't not result from simple stupidity but rather from a lack of experience and knowledge. Accordingly, After gaining some exp, you would eventually stop being a newbie ( i.e. you knew what you were doing and talking about after some time ).

These days, and especially within the gaming community the term noob has developed into more or less a general insult.

My terminology goes like this:

If you have more than 50 global hours playing BF2 and still act like it's only 2, you  are simply stupid. That has nothing to do with being a noob.

A noob in my definition can improve and learn to be better at whatever it is he is doing. A stupid person will never improve noticeably.

Accordingly, if you stop making those mistakes that result from lack of experience or lack of knowledge, you are no longer a noob to me. A non-noob will know how the game works and what needs to be done to win it.
FLaXCarnage
+1|6777|Florida
noob=idiot who runs in front of moving vehicles thinking that it will make them get out.
non-noob=patiently waits his turn for a ride.
noob+positive=no such thing.
McCullough
+7|6829
A n00b is a person that acts as a selfish 10yearold. It's a person that acts childish and dont care about anyone else but him/herself. A n00b is a person that spawncamps and baserapes and things like that cus it's the only way for them to get points. A n00b is a person that TKs his teammates cus he/she wants to try their weapon or he/she wants the vehicle the m8 is in. n00bs do also punish for EVERYTHING.
A n00b is the worst kind of players.

Last edited by McCullough (2005-10-27 04:47:31)

Rakasan
+7|6828|California, USA
Rookie/newbie/someone new who has no clue.  When it comes to bf2s.com, probably someone who creates 1 of the 10,000 "Which unlock should I get?" threads without bothering searching or checking out the UBAR section.    In BF2, ppl who run into artillery strikes, ppl who put claymores in stupid places, ppl who run over friendly mines, ppl who don't realize getting flags helps you win, etc.

Last edited by Rakasan (2005-10-27 05:15:55)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6749|Brixham, UK

KtotheIMMY wrote:

Apart from the fact that it's not even six in the morning and I don't have to be awake for, oh six or seven more hours, these thoughts came to me during my brief holiday from unconsciousness. I apologize if my thoughts aren't all that concise or precise. Everything sounded good in my head.

3. Can the term n00b be used in a positive manner? "I have a great idea, let's kill all the n00bs! It will be fun", does not qualify as being positive.

Now for the really important question... should I go back to sleep or play BF2 until lunchtime?
1. n00b to me is simply an idiot who fails to function like a normal human would. I find Newbies and n00bs to be comepletly different things. Newbies are completly acceptable - we were all one once...

2. Simply, to not act like a moron.

3. I doubt it, if you use my definition.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6772

noon - doesn't play the game correctly.  Origninally this was reserved for people new to the game that didn't know how to play real well.  Unfortunatly, there are many experienced players who don't play the game correctly who also fall into this category.  Three instances: tking for vehicles, punishing unfairly, flying a plane while being commander.

non-noob - plays the game correctly.  understands both the strategy and the etiquette of the game.

positive noob - a newcomer to a game who genuinely wants to get better: asks questions, listens to more experienced players, takes the time to learn what it mean to play the game right...and most importantly learns from mistakes.  nothing wrong with someone that wants to learn.  greatest example i can think of was a guy who kept jumping in a tank with me as my gunner.  even when he got to the tank first he would let me drive and he'd gun.  when i asked him why he said he was new to the game and wanted to learn more about armor combat (tactics, physics, strategies) before he started driving.  to me that's a good noob:)
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6832|Missoula, MT
I like this one:

The label 'newbie' is sometimes applied as a serious insult to a person who has been around (insert whatever) for a long time but who carefully hides all evidence of having a clue.

Oh, and I agree with superfly on the positive idea. 

Last edited by CMDR_Dave (2005-10-27 05:29:18)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6832|Cologne, Germany

"the good noob"...sounds like a song...
Incontrovertible
+1|6763|Brisbane, Australia

KtotheIMMY wrote:

Now for the really important question... should I go back to sleep or play BF2 until lunchtime?

(9am now and I haven't done either yet! *sigh*)
1. Someone who just started the game and hasn't 'learnt the ropes'.

2. When they have 'learnt the ropes'.

3. Yes, but only between friends. Anything else is considered an insult by pretty much everyone.
Wadoki
+1|6748
If there wasn't noobs then who would I get my pistol badge on?
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6765|NRW,Germany
1. For me a noob is a newbie, and so I either try to help him or use his flaws against him. Noobs usually don´t know certain things (like the correct way of throwing a grenade) and end up killing teammates or just themself several times before they learn the correct techniques.

Most noobs are an easy kill but there still are those who learn quick, wich leads to point 2.
Someone who manages to perform well with his weapon/vehicle of choice without endangering his teammates and killing lots of enemies is a non-noob for me.
But even non-noobs sometimes act quite noobish but in the end their stats look better ^^

3. I don´t think noob is such a bad word that it can only be used in a bad meaning. In the end everyone was a noob when he started playing and everyone makes mistakes. And when the noob-era of your gaming life is over you remember your stupid mistakes and start laughing.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6751
For me a newb/newbie is a new person with little knowledge of the game. He seeks to learn.

A noob is a newbie who doesnt seek to learn, but seeks to have fun from annoying others.
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6754

To me a noob is anyone who kills me in a manner that angers/infuriates because of how lame it was. This pertains to the fact that there is no way to avoid noobism. Friendly or enemy, they can all be noobs. Also, when I am playing really bad everyone in the server is a noob.

Newb/Newbie is when a player is a beginner or inexperienced, whether it's first time playing the game, or maybe using a kit or anything. If you are good, you can compensate for their mistakes and be mad only at yourself.

Example for newb... an inexperienced gunner when I am pilot on cobra. It's easy to correct/compensate for newbie mistakes such as not hovering above a tank expeting them to TV missle the crap out of it.

Example for noob... idiot who keeps trying to take me out with plane while I am in cobra but manages to ram me every single time. Nothing I can do about that, pure noobiness.

Exceptions: Medic revives before killing the enemy that is around us is just plain stupid, doesn't even deserve the term noob. Jumping out of your tank cause enemy came up running behind you... and then LOSING the tank because they jump in is also beyond newb/noobiness... you should just be shot.
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6838|Germany
Everyone.
Everyone is a noob.
If not even a n00b.
I use it everytime I can in my personal psychological warfare in the BF2 "chat to all" (j).

Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6811
Calling someone a n00b these days is like telling someone "fuck you". It just doesn't offend anyone anymore. Infact it only serves to make the other person feel good because somehow in someway they've pissed you off.
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6804
n00b - Jumpers/bunny hoppers/exploiters/idiots/people who suck/intentional TKers/punishers/racists/dumbasses
non - n00b - Fair players/skilled/balanced/friendly
KtotheIMMY
+513|6754
Have you actually come across racists on BF2?

Greenie_Beazinie wrote:

n00b - Jumpers/bunny hoppers/exploiters/idiots/people who suck/intentional TKers/punishers/racists/dumbasses
non - n00b - Fair players/skilled/balanced/friendly
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6804
Unfortunately, yes - there's an Aussie clan called SS. They're anti-semites who used to play FH as Germany and now they've moved to BF2. I havent seen much of it lately, but back the day everything was nigger, sand-nigger or gook with them...

Edit: Gotta mention something here, i just played  a round of VC2 with a nice SS dude, he says their clan is Sharp Shooters and not anti-semetic at all. There is, however a SS clan out there who are based on the storm troopers.

Last edited by Greenie_Beazinie (2005-11-16 06:04:21)

FLaXCarnage
+1|6777|Florida

superfly_cox wrote:

positive noob - a newcomer to a game who genuinely wants to get better: asks questions, listens to more experienced players, takes the time to learn what it mean to play the game right...and most importantly learns from mistakes.  nothing wrong with someone that wants to learn.  greatest example i can think of was a guy who kept jumping in a tank with me as my gunner.  even when he got to the tank first he would let me drive and he'd gun.  when i asked him why he said he was new to the game and wanted to learn more about armor combat (tactics, physics, strategies) before he started driving.  to me that's a good noob:)
That would be a newbie noobs play the game for a long time but never raise there skill so they turn to spawn camping and base-raping.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard