RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6575|Oxford
If this is what the majority of the British public think of americans it'd appear you have a lot of work to do ingratiating yourself to the rest of the world..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh … knews.html

And a response from the american embassy in London..

http://london.usembassy.gov/rss/transcr … jul06.html

The response is the funniest.

Incidentally, I was going to try and make this a little more balanced but I honestly couldn't find a poll, from any country, which saw the american nation in a favorable light...sorry.

Last edited by RicardoBlanco (2006-07-04 11:05:31)

Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6682|Moscow, Russia
Ok dude, so you brought up this article, but what exactly did you want to say with it? And what are we supposed to do serious talk about?
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6575|Oxford

Wasder wrote:

Ok dude, so you brought up this article, but what exactly did you want to say with it? And what are we supposed to do serious talk about?
I think the article speaks for itself. Interesting how the american response is to ignore the poll, conduct their own, and come to a completely opposite conclusion. Convenient eh?

If my country was hated by pretty much every other on the planet I'd have something to say.
[DETX] arabeater
+6|6617|OKC, Oklahoma USA Baby!
Pretty sure no american gives a flying fuck what any Briton or for that matter any fairy ass European thinks about our country. The only time Europeans seem to like us is when Germany gets a wild hair up their ass and decides to invade their country. One minute its like you hate us then the next when you realize your about to get wtf pwned you beg for our help. I dont get it. Either you like us or you dont. Make up your fucking minds. Hopefully the next time when someone decides to fuck up Europe we just sit back and watch your demise. Maybe then you will wish you had'nt badmouthed us so much. I highly doubt that will ever happen though due to us always feeling sorry for some shit you got yourselves into, costing the US thousands of our brave mens lives. Also in that article where it said we were failing to win the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people, thats total Bullshit. I have been there 3 times and I can tell you for a fact that they most certainly want us there. The only ones that dont are a very small minority of radical, crazy assholes that got nothing better to do than start some shit. We are building schools. houses, a stable government and bringing in income from the oil. I dunno who is spreading all that bullshit propaganda in Europe about how we are failing in Iraq but they most certainly are getting all of their news from Al-Jazeera. Which last time I checked was kinda biased. Sorry for my Europe bashing at the beginng but thats how alot of Americans feel about Europe. So maybe before you start bashing us take a look at how you have treated us. I personally love Europe and want to go back someday. I just think instead of listening to the news to get your status on how Iraq is going how about talking to a few vets that have served there. I'm sure some vets have had some bad experiances and all like the rest of us but I was with a few Brit Royal Marines last year and they seemed to love being there and helping with the rebuilding process. Maybe someday the US and Europe can be pals again.
Mackaronen
+18|6644|Uppland, Sweden

[DETX] arabeater wrote:

Maybe someday the US and Europe can be pals again.
I hope so to!
But i think the thing about Europeans hating America is totally exaggerated. Sure, we might not agree all the time, but most people i have spoken to have nothing against America.
And i think its nice of you people to stand up to the terrorists as you do, both in Afghanistan and Iraq. And i also hope no more American soldiers will have to lay their lives on the altar of freedom, or British nor Danish soldiers either for that matter. And i also like to thank you for the huge sacrifice your country made to rid Europe of the Nazis.
The Last Black Winegum
Mmmm! Winegums
+52|6612|Lancashire, UK
Is it just me or on the audio statement does he say Off-timistic,  instead of Optimistic?

Right at the end.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6549|Texas - Bigger than France
So 12% of the British public supports US foreign policy.

For comparison, was there a poll of British public's support of other country's foreign policies?

I want to see how the US ranks, for instance what's the poll on British public's support of Britain's foreign policy?

Thanks in advance.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6844

RicardoBlanco wrote:

If this is what the majority of the British public think of Americans it'd appear you have a lot of work to do ingratiating yourself to the rest of the world...
Well most of us don't really care about ingratiating, We let others do the sucking up, it seems some people enjoy it and excel at it. Feeding and protecting...thats another topic is it not?

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-07-05 12:53:46)

[DETX] arabeater
For whoever -1 karma'd me it doesnt matter if you +1 or -1 me i'm pretty sure you just wasted your time with that because as long as im getting paid and getting laid i'm happy. For all I care everybody can -1 me all day everyday for the rest of time, it wont hurt my feelings. Also I saw you -1 me for being a bad boy! Please elaborate a little more on that. Anyways, Horesman you're right I'm glad we're not sucking the rest of the worlds tiny penis just to look good. If we have a job to do we dont go out and beg for help. Hellz Yea on another birthday for the USA today! Nobody can stop us! Just kidding! Well except for maybe ourselves.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

Everybody always ignores Australia. ANZUS (New Zealand hasn't deployed to the recent conflicts in the middle east so they are being ignored for good reason.) still exists.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6723

Flecco wrote:

Everybody always ignores Australia. ANZUS (New Zealand hasn't deployed to the recent conflicts in the middle east so they are being ignored for good reason.) still exists.
shh... we want them all to forget about Aus... so that our nearly finished trained army of elite kangaroos w/ AU-88's go dominate asia.... then china... then the world!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6774

Flecco wrote:

good, ignore us. We are isolated from the rest of the world. lets keep it like that!! I am quite happy on my island.
[DETX] arabeater
Guess what whoever -1 karma'd me? I DONT CARE! USA still rocks and your just jealous! Seriously this whole karma thing that was added onto here is retarded. Who really cares about +1 or -1 Karma? Are you gonna be destroyed if somebody -1 you? Or are you gonna feel like a god if you get +1? Jeez I hope not. If they gave out prizes for say a gift certificate to TigerDirect.com for every +100 karma you receive then maybe I would give a shit. Well back on topic I really hate poles and the idea of them being implamented. Have you ever known anybody that was ever poled? Who do they ask? Im guessing they ask people that they know will give them the results they want to hear.
l41e
+677|6655

An idea for the US government: Leave everyone else alone until some maniac starts a war. When someone does a 180 and comes asking for help deny the request.

"Requesting reinforcements, over!"
"NEGATIVE"
Starfleet1403
...to bodly spawn where no one has spawned before!
+66|6629|Born in West-Berlin

[DETX] arabeater wrote:

Maybe someday the US and Europe can be pals again.
I always considered the US as a friend of the Federal Republic of Germany. I mean let's face it. They liberated Europe from German Tyranny in World War II. For that alone, Europe should eternally grateful to the US. What did the US after they won the War? Did they treat us bad? On the Contrary, they helped us getting back on our feet (Marshall Plan). Remember the Berlin Air Lift? Without US help, Germany wouldn't be what it is today.

Btw, I was born in West-Berlin during the Cold War. I was surrounded by evil communist troops (well, we thought they'd be evil), so I felt a lot more safer with the US Berlin Brigade around.

Thanks America.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6716|Wilmington, DE, US

Telegraph wrote:

Most Britons see America as a cruel, vulgar, arrogant society, riven by class and racism, crime-ridden, obsessed with money and led by an incompetent hypocrite.
While I won't disagree, I'm tired of Britain asserting it has no race problems.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6575|Oxford

[DETX] arabeater wrote:

Pretty sure no american gives a flying fuck what any Briton or for that matter any fairy ass European thinks about our country.
..oh or anyone from Africa, Middle East, South America, India, Russia, China/ Far East and it even looks like your government doesn't really give a flying fuck what it's own people think of your country either. Sounds like a pretty sad state of affairs to me..
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6575|Oxford

Ikarti wrote:

Telegraph wrote:

Most Britons see America as a cruel, vulgar, arrogant society, riven by class and racism, crime-ridden, obsessed with money and led by an incompetent hypocrite.
While I won't disagree, I'm tired of Britain asserting it has no race problems.
I'm not sure that is one of our assertions. I'd be the first to put my hand up and say there are far too many immigrants living in England; they put a huge strain on our schools, hospitals and other services and sponge vast sums of taxpayers money from the government. They bring down the general standard of the community they invade and cause tension amongst the population. I'd like to fuck the vast majority off back to their own countries but unfortunately it's not my train set!
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6783|UK
Dudes seriously don't take facts on British opinions from the fucking Telegraph newspaper they don't speak for us all.

The Telegraph is a notorious liar and if you make your opinions based on their facts you're just as retarded as they are. Nuff said.
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6757|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
I think what's funny is that I likely agree with the outsiders more than the US folks...blame it on extensive travel...

I'm very fiscally conservative and socially pretty darn liberal...which makes me an odd-ball in modern American politics and culture. I sat in a bar in Taipei with an Aussie and a Irish guy in October before we invaded Iraq. They were quite surprised that I didn't get it, didn't support it, didn't think it made any sense.

OTOH, the UN was supposed to eliminate genocide...it was one of their main charter points...and their track record in the last 20 years alone is SO bad that we can't really take them seriously. The UN is so burdened by politics that they are completely ineffective on most fronts. What other body could seriously consider a human rights forum valid when some of the worst offenders are voting members?!

So, where does that leave us?

The world wants US power to enfoce things...but the world can't make up its mind on what we should exert that power...the US does it's best to work with the world community, but the world community is so fractured and broken that it is impossible to please anyone, any time...

And we act like a 13 yr old boy, desparately trying to help as requested, but with contradictory guidance. And we make a mess of things...and given the UN and European propensity to "talk" forever, we get impatient, too. Keep in mind that most of the painful 20th Century events were caused, in part, by Eurpean desires to use diplomacy. Negotiating with the mugger that already has your wallet and is threatening your life is brittle at best...

Oh, and I've OFTEN heard from Brits that they don't have racism...lol then they talk about the damn Pakis or what-have-you...and we are riven with CLASS distinction?! That's incredibly rich commentary coming from one of the most rigid class structures this side of India.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6526|Πάϊ
Its funny how the americans think they made europe a favour in WWII. Know that it was your involvement in this war that made you the dominant power in the world today, and that if you had stayed out of it Hitler would've kicked your asses as well. So enough with all that bitching about how you saved us and how good people you are and how grateful we should be.
Its time to realise that you are today what germany was back in '39. So do your thing, and the rest of us will do our thing. At least the germans weren't looking for sympathy while trying to conquer the world.
ƒ³
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6783|UK
FFS does every fucking thread in "Debate and Serious Talk" end in the same fucking argument?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6701|San Francisco
There's quite a difference between a country being angry at another's foreign policies and them being angry at the actual society/people of the other country.
nieker
THE FLYING DUTCH PENGUIN, THE NINTENDO PENGUIN
+191|6634|The Netherlands
lol here in holland we have a newspaper caled de telegraaf thats pretty the same =p
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6575|Oxford

Milk.org wrote:

Dudes seriously don't take facts on British opinions from the fucking Telegraph newspaper they don't speak for us all.

The Telegraph is a notorious liar and if you make your opinions based on their facts you're just as retarded as they are. Nuff said.
Sorry, had to nip this one in the bud. Can everyone please ignore this comment, it is complete bollocks! The Telegraph is one of the most reliable, objective and, dare I say, well respected papers (broadsheet, not tabloid) in the UK.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard