• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Athalon VS Intel??? Major problems with running the game?
howler_27
+90|6710
I've been trying to find out if there is one processor that runs BF2 better than the other.  I've recently had a new system completed and have the Athelon 3200+ processor, and have had nothing but problems with the game since I have switched from my Intel.  My friend has the similar internal componants that I have, accept for the Intel, and has had no problems with Bf2 what-so-ever.   

My systems problems include crashing to desktop, being kicked for hacks that I supposidly have(I have never hacked, and it stated that from the beginning of running the new setup), occasional kicks for hacking(AFTER I've played multiple rounds in the same server), and various sanity warnings for the memory. 

I've updated PB, and now the pc won't even allow me to re-install the game.  Sometimes, it'll install up to SF, but won't allow any patches, not even 1.03.   I've had the system back to the shop three times now, and still have similar results  in the system locking up, dumping, or just not running anything.  Everything shows up clean. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!  It's been over 7 weeks now of not being able to use my system, and I'm ready to snap like a fucking rubber band!

My systes is as follows:

AMD Athalon 64 3200+ Processor
BFG GeForce 7600gt video card
500W power supply
2 1gb sticks of Corsair Ram
ASUS A8N32-SLI  Deluxe Motherboard (2nd board) Was told my 1st (A8N-SLI Premium) was the problem.

Bottom line is that I'm sick of all of the recent problems.  If the problem turns out to be the processor, I'd happily spend the coin to correct it, but I feel that after what I've spent, it should be running properly.

Last edited by howler_27 (2006-07-06 06:21:20)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6672

Back up all your nessisary files, and reinstall. Should solve everything.
howler_27
+90|6710
I've had everything re-installed, including windows, for the 3rd time.  The shop working on it has had many problems with the BF install locking up, which also has them re-installing windows everytime to try and figure it out.  I appreciate the help.  Please keep the suggestions inbound.
=TFF=Omen_NataS
+60|6563
you build it yourself right?
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6670
I used to have a 2600+ and now I have a 3700+ and both are running very smooth with bf2

I experienced a lot of crashing after setting up my new system but I found out eventually that my raid refused to work correctly (the drives work fine seperatly tho) - maybe thats the cause for you? if you have a raid system that is
howler_27
+90|6710

=TFF=Omen_NataS wrote:

you build it yourself right?
I bought all of the components new through Milwaukee PC.  My friend assembled and downloaded everthing for me.  He's built 3 computers prior to that with hundreds of trouble free hours.  I brought the system back to MIL-PC and was told that it was a 90% chance that it was the motherboard.  After bying a new board on honor, I had them install it.  Needess to say, I'm in belief that it has nothing to do with the board.  They currently have the system at this time.   It's pissin' me off, due to my distance from any decent PC services(30 mile drive to the nearest city with a population big enough to support such a store).  After logging over 250 miles to go back and forth, I'm gettting pretty sick of it to say the least.
Eboreus
+46|6670
seriously after rereading your problems once more this sounds like a complete BF fuckup... CTD is patch related, PB errors have appeared more often after patches as well and I had the sanity errors as well but they disappeared after i switched from raid to normal mode
howler_27
+90|6710
Eboreus, I'll check it out when I get the system back.  I'm fairly illiterate with pc terms, but I appreciate all of the input.  As stated earlier, my buddy has a similar system, and has no problems with BF at all.
Eboreus
+46|6670
I hope you get that solved - I know how shitty stuff like this can get if you invest hours of time to make it work

technically spoken a raid system links two harddrives together and "they act as one" - there is a very common system, in which you use 2 identically harddrives to increase the performance

now in my system i tried it and both hard drives work fine seperately but once linked they act like hinterlandschmocks...
szrz
+0|6531
HI Howler_27
I have exactely the same problem.I spent many weeks trying patch the game, reinstall windows,reinstall game.
I wasnt satisfied with my old Pentium4
and upgraded to:

Pentium D 2.8 dual core with Hypertreading, 64-bits architecture supporting

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro

Hard drive:  ST3300622A        Barracuda 7200.9        300 GB        Ultra ATA/100        7200 RPM         ms avg        DPC

RAM: 1GB DDR2  GEIL 667 MHz

Grafics card: LEADTECH GeForce 7600 GT 256MB RAM

Sound card: CREATIVE   Soundblaster X-Fi

...and problems started immediately:
- unable to patch the game and play on ranked servers
- system crashes  after playing maximum 2 maps

There is no sense now for me to buy special forces or other booster packs because i wont be able to install it without patching the game before. So I hope we will see us soon on unranked servers where we dont even need the orginal game!
The problem will grow pretty fast because people are buying new PCes.
Im just courious how much time needs EA to realise existing problem.

All we can do is : send to each other PATCHERROR file to compare if we realy have exactely the same problem.
This file can be found in your game folder eg. C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield2... after you tried patch your game.

I wont even send it to EA because i see how they response to things like this( i tried to follow their advices in support section)

I play on AFTER-HOURZ servers

... and never punish for team kill even those of u who kill me to get in the chopper or jet
taxi2you
+22|6667|Missouri
Which anti virus are you running?  I have panda and I have to turn it off and the firewall to do any EA downloads.  Sometimes I can't play the game with it on at all and it really hates the EA downloader.  Also could be the new nvidia drivers not getting downloaded completely correct.  The newest one has caused some of my friends a lot of lag and crashes to the desktop.  They rolled back the driver and everything works fine.  Lastly make sure the MB is configured correctly to run the ram you have.  Asus has trouble with some of the higher end ram and has to be set up in the bios to run properly.   

Just some thoughts after my first trial and error home built PC has been running faithfully for 2 years now.
howler_27
+90|6710
I'm running a Spybot Spyware program, Zone Alarm, and Norton(All turned off during play).   I'm not going to give up on it. Hell after 8+ weeks of patience, what's another few going to do?  Anyways, as stated earlier, my friend is running a very similar system accept for the intell processor and has had hardly any crashing or PB problems.  There has got to be some hope in getting this biaaaach up and running.  It kicked some serious ass when it was working, and now that I had some taste of what the updated system was like, I need to get my fix, lol.
-=5TON3D
+42|6557|u.k
i had major probs with zonealarm once i upgraded my mobo & cpu,new cpu amd 4000+ & msi nforce 3 ultra mobo.soon as i installed zonealarm on it windows would boot then restart straight away until i booted in safemode & uninstalled za,been using the same version of za for a year on my old 2800 sempron socket a with no probs with bf or windows till the new cpu,tried about 4 diff versions of za till i found one that never crashed windows but after i started playin bf with it i'd get neverending connection probs & disconnects.
that was on the previous patch before 1.3,soon as i fucked za off & changed to a basic version of norton with just firewall & antivirus bf's give me no probs,other than the fuckups 1.3 has caused with connection loss & servers crashing.
try uninstalling za & just using norton for firewall & it might help you some,i also dissable windows firewall & security bullshit along with sys restore & a load of other useless crap windows dont need to have running.

good luck man,hope you sort it soon.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739
conroe is better.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6718|Mountains of West Virginia

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

conroe is better.
ook?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

Snipedya14 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

conroe is better.
ook?
Conroe (or core 2 duo) are faster and cheaper than AMD's cpu
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Snipedya14 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

conroe is better.
ook?
No need to educate me mate. I have been around in the IT field for a few years now, and keep up on the lastest and greastest.

What I am saying is, he already made a uprade, why say "conroe is better" Obviously he is not looking to buy another CPU, hell tey are not even out till the 21 (I think) and with all the demand It will be hard to get one.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739

Snipedya14 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Snipedya14 wrote:

ook?
No need to educate me mate. I have been around in the IT field for a few years now, and keep up on the lastest and greastest.

What I am saying is, he already made a uprade, why say "conroe is better" Obviously he is not looking to buy another CPU, hell tey are not even out till the 21 (I think) and with all the demand It will be hard to get one.
woops my bad, i read it as "im deciding to get a new 3200+ cpu" im kinda tired now (havnt slept for 24 hours)
AvengingAngel
+3|6554|St Louis
Howler.....you may want to try updating your chipset drivers ....it certainly cant hurt...and may fix some issues...i dont know what os you are using...but im assuming its XP so here is a link for the nforce4 drivers...if you are not using xp DO NOT USE THEM (look under platform drivers for your os) http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4 … _6.70.html  ...and if you want my opinion...zone alarm is nothing but issues...if you are behind a router....thats more than enough firewall with some decent av software you will be fine...software firewalls=issues
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Snipedya14 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

woops my bad, i read it as "im deciding to get a new 3200+ cpu" im kinda tired now (havnt slept for 24 hours)
I hear ya man, Its just me fielding the help desk calls, as my other classmates (who run the schools helpdesk) are out on vacation. Im very tired as well.
a fly
+105|6667|The netherlands

howler_27 wrote:

I'm running a Spybot Spyware program, Zone Alarm, and Norton(All turned off during play).   I'm not going to give up on it. Hell after 8+ weeks of patience, what's another few going to do?  Anyways, as stated earlier, my friend is running a very similar system accept for the intell processor and has had hardly any crashing or PB problems.  There has got to be some hope in getting this biaaaach up and running.  It kicked some serious ass when it was working, and now that I had some taste of what the updated system was like, I need to get my fix, lol.
i stopped reading here.

dude, did you turn off your FIREWALL, the thing that BLOCKS most hackers? your asking for trouble!!!
bf2_zspyvin
+17|6707|The Netherlands
Uninstall, go to EA site and typ in how to delete BF2 manuale i worked for me

btw dont play bf2 with progrmms PB will maybe see then as a cheat

Last edited by bf2_zspyvin (2006-07-04 15:31:52)

Canterwood
+4|6543|Canada

howler_27 wrote:

I've been trying to find out if there is one processor that runs BF2 better than the other.  I've recently had a new system completed and have the Athelon 3200+ processor, and have had nothing but problems with the game since I have switched from my Intel.  My friend has the similar internal componants that I have, accept for the Intel, and has had no problems with Bf2 what-so-ever.   

My systems problems include crashing to desktop, being kicked for hacks that I supposidly have(I have never hacked, and it stated that from the beginning of running the new setup), occasional kicks for hacking(AFTER I've played multiple rounds in the same server), and various sanity warnings for the memory. 

I've updated PB, and now the pc won't even allow me to re-install the game.  Sometimes, it'll install up to SF, but won't allow any patches, not even 1.03.   I've had the system back to the shop three times now, and still have similar results  in the system locking up, dumping, or just not running anything.  Everything shows up clean. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!  It's been over 7 weeks now of not being able to use my system, and I'm ready to snap like a fucking rubber band!

My systes is as follows:

AMD Athalon 64 3200+ Processor
BFG GeForce 7600gt video card
500W power supply
2 1gb sticks of Corsair Ram
ASUS A8N32-SLI  Deluxe Motherboard (2nd board) Was told my 1st (A8N-SLI Premium) was the problem.

Bottom line is that I'm sick of all of the recent problems, and I've pretty much lost all trust in the people working on it.  If the problem turns out to be the processor, I'd happily spend the coin to correct it, but I feel that after what I've spent, it should be running properly.
Reformat and reinstall all/ update gfx drivers/sound card/ chipset / make sure anti virus isnt running when you install bf2. I dont think you hardware is the problem, your running common compoents. Just start from scratch and you should be fine. Oh and dont forget to update windows.
howler_27
+90|6710
Thanks for all of the tips.  Hopefully, I'll be picking up the system later this evening.  I won't have time to attack it for a day or so though.  All of the comments are appreciated, and will be looked into.  Thanks again.
howler_27
+90|6710
Ok, here's a quick update.  I picked up the PC and talked to the guy working on it.  We spent an hour over closing time in the shop to try and get this bad boy up and running, so I appreciate the effort.  It shows that I've got a dedicated service tech.  Anyways, the hard drive was wiped 4 times and it finnaly installed the neccessary programs to run.  I took it home and managed to get about 2.5 hard ours of ranked server play and had an awesome experiece, though I still don't feel out of the woods(normally, it screwed the PC after about 3 hrs).  Things that were changed...

...Removed a 3rd stick of RAM that was from my old PC(due to possible memory leakage or corruption). Now, I only have the two 1gig sticks on the board.  Also completely removed ZONE ALARM, as well as slipped the dual drivers to turn off the RAID, or at least separate their functions.   

Thanks again to those who dropped suggestions.  IF the situation changes, I'll definately post it.  I'd hate to have anybody else go through the total headaches that I've experienced.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Athalon VS Intel??? Major problems with running the game?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard