sneakysegan11
+13|6585|York, PA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817121012 <<< Ok I talked to some people about this one and they said that it was a fairly decent one. Anybody have any opinions on whether or not this is a good one????
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6569|Portland, OR USA
if you do decide to overclock, depending on what you overclock to, that can eat up extra watts as well.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6736|Mountains of West Virginia

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

-r3-anubis wrote:

sneakysegan11 wrote:

Hello I just bought a new GFX card, the XFX GeForce 7900 GT overclocked. And I was just wondering if I should buy a new PSU just in case i need it.

The one I have now is 420W, but I have 5 fans hooked up, 2 HD's, 4 neons, fan controller, neon controller, and of course the main stuff I need.
450 Watt is the minimum to keep the card stable
Im suprised your 420W is not dead from all of that.
who the fuck told u that. 450 watt? thats more power hungry than a 7800gtx! 350 watt is eonugh for 7900gt.
Yes, The card and system need 350 watts. But, cheap PSUs do not give out what they say they do. Let me explain

Cheap PSU Powmax for example. THey may advertise the PSU rated at 500 watts. That 500 watts is calculated at 99% efficiency at 15 degrees Celcius.

But put that Power Supply in the real world, where it will be running at 30 degrees celcius.

Then PSU could be running as low as 45% efficiency! This is hypothetical of course, but it is how chaep PSUs still maintian the high wattage rating systems.

You must also consider Amps. A 300 Watt PSU may be enough wattage, but few put out enough Amps to run a hig end video card.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Snipedya14 wrote:

uhm, Wattage is a measurement of power, which is a product of voltage and amperage.  A transformer can switch between the two as long as the product is always the same.  Power is power, you can turn it into high voltage w/ low amps (as is transmitted along power lines to minimize power loss) or high amperage with low volts ... which will kill you very quickly.
sneakysegan11
+13|6585|York, PA

Snipedya14 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

-r3-anubis wrote:

450 Watt is the minimum to keep the card stable
Im suprised your 420W is not dead from all of that.
who the fuck told u that. 450 watt? thats more power hungry than a 7800gtx! 350 watt is eonugh for 7900gt.
Yes, The card and system need 350 watts. But, cheap PSUs do not give out what they say they do. Let me explain

Cheap PSU Powmax for example. THey may advertise the PSU rated at 500 watts. That 500 watts is calculated at 99% efficiency at 15 degrees Celcius.

But put that Power Supply in the real world, where it will be running at 30 degrees celcius.

Then PSU could be running as low as 45% efficiency! This is hypothetical of course, but it is how chaep PSUs still maintian the high wattage rating systems.

You must also consider Amps. A 300 Watt PSU may be enough wattage, but few put out enough Amps to run a hig end video card.
Ok, so was that a YES it is a good one or a NO it's not.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me

puckmercury wrote:

Snipedya14 wrote:

uhm, Wattage is a measurement of power, which is a product of voltage and amperage.  A transformer can switch between the two as long as the product is always the same.  Power is power, you can turn it into high voltage w/ low amps (as is transmitted along power lines to minimize power loss) or high amperage with low volts ... which will kill you very quickly.
I may of picked the wrong wording in my last post. What I was trying to get to was the derating of a PSU.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derating

So you mean that a PSU cannot have a drop in wattage? I am a bit confused by your post.

Im not a expert in elctronics just a CS major, so the more you can educate me the better.

Was I was really trying to say in laymans terms, Cheap PSUs do not put out the (peak) advertised wattage. No 18 dollar 500 Watt unit is going to be able to compete with something from the likes of Antec or Enermax.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Snipedya14 wrote:

puckmercury wrote:

Snipedya14 wrote:

I may of picked the wrong wording in my last post. What I was trying to get to was the derating of a PSU.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derating

So you mean that a PSU cannot have a drop in wattage? I am a bit confused by your post.

Im not a expert in elctronics just a CS major, so the more you can educate me the better.

Was I was really trying to say in laymans terms, Cheap PSUs do not put out the (peak) advertised wattage. No 18 dollar 500 Watt unit is going to be able to compete with something from the likes of Antec or Enermax.
A PSU can lose functional wattage due to heat, sure - heat is energy, energy is power spent over time.  What I'm saying is that if you have a 350W PSU, you can have 350V at 1 amp or 1V at 350amp, or any other combination who's product is 350.  There are many factors that go into why one PSU is more than another such as PFC, multiple rails, etc

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-07-12 15:22:17)

sneakysegan11
+13|6585|York, PA
Ok, it sounds to me like all of you know what you talking about. But nobody answered my question yet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817121011 <<<<<<< is this a good PSU or not, i need to know so i can purchase as soon as possible. Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
sorry, got caught up in the geekitude.

Well, it is modular which is good, and appears to be SLI/Crossfire ready with good cooling.  That being said, the efficiency is a bit low and it has no PFC.  Also, the total lack of any review raises an eyebrow with me too.  I would propose this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817194003

comparible pricing with a negligible drop in max wattage while gaining a recognized name in PSUs.  Ultimately, the higher efficiency will probably make up for that any way.  It has received good reviews and has active PFC and maintains your SLI ready certification as well as the modular cabling.  Not as flashy ... but unless you're sporting an all acrylic case you won't see much of it anyway.
sneakysegan11
+13|6585|York, PA

puckmercury wrote:

Well, it is modular which is good, and appears to be SLI/Crossfire ready with good cooling.  That being said, the efficiency is a bit low and it has no PFC.  Also, the total lack of any review raises an eyebrow with me too.  I would propose this:

comparible pricing with a negligible drop in max wattage while gaining a recognized name in PSUs.  Ultimately, the higher efficiency will probably make up for that any way.  It has received good reviews and has active PFC and maintains your SLI ready certification as well as the modular cabling.  Not as flashy ... but unless you're sporting an all acrylic case you won't see much of it anyway.
Ok thanks for the info. Also what is PFC?
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

sneakysegan11 wrote:

puckmercury wrote:

Ok thanks for the info. Also what is PFC?
power factor correction

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/pfc.html
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
Never worked with a Kingwin, but those 12v Rails look Strong. But then agian, I have worked with enermax, nothing but stability.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard