_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6850|Riva, MD

Snipe=UKLF= wrote:

you'd be able to pick 1 up cheaper there, thats 4 sure!
What model is it then?
Snipe=UKLF=
+17|6750|UK
Ok update time...

Spent last night fiddling with ATI Tool and it did the job.. no flickering and can adjust the gamma levels using hotkeys!..great i thought, problem solved!

However, i later realised there is no option in ATI Tool to enable crossfire, and im 90% sure i am only using 1 card    (so its no different to the old solution of disabling crossfire in CCC)

So is there anyway to use ATI Tool and still run in crossfire mode?..also when OC'ing what max temps should i be looking at, i had a few lock ups and the monitor would occasionly turn off. I think its a bit more complicated finding the max limit when having to switch back and forth between the two cards.

Last edited by Snipe=UKLF= (2006-06-30 06:01:31)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6701|NYC / Hamburg

Snipe=UKLF= wrote:

Ok update time...

Spent last night fiddling with ATI Tool and it did the job.. no flickering and can adjust the gamma levels using hotkeys!..great i thought, problem solved!

However, i later realised there is no option in ATI Tool to enable crossfire, and im 90% sure i am only using 1 card    (so its no different to the old solution of disabling crossfire in CCC)

So is there anyway to use ATI Tool and still run in crossfire mode?..also when OC'ing what max temps should i be looking at, i had a few lock ups and the monitor would occasionly turn off. I think its a bit more complicated finding the max limit when having to switch back and forth between the two cards.
as far as i understand it: what you have to do is enable CF in CCC and then in ATI tool select each card independently to make the changes (select them here). then you should be running CF (because CCC is stll partially enabled) and have the option to control each card independently for ATI tool.

As for finding the max oc: try each card independently first. dont use the auto oc because it only causes problems. What i did is to bump the voltage to 1.4 set the ard to stock 3d speeds and then up the core speed by 10 MHz, test for atifacts with the scanner for about 10 min, close 3D view, save to a temp profile, bump the speeds again, etc.. when windows frroze i went another 5 MHz, that didnt wor so i went 1 MHz wise. Same goes for RAM except that you dont change the V. then do the second card. Try bumping the speed to 15 MHz less than your max oc on the other one to see if it works, then continually increase the speeds until you reach the limit.

Also a cheap way to check if CF is working is to put the setup through a couple of rounds of 3Dmark 06 (or 05) and see if the fans on both cards speed up with a big load.

Last edited by max (2006-06-30 06:18:48)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Snipe=UKLF=
+17|6750|UK

max wrote:

as far as i understand it: what you have to do is enable CF in CCC and then in ATI tool select each card independently to make the changes (select them here). then you should be running CF (because CCC is stll partially enabled) and have the option to control each card independently for ATI tool.
So i have to install CCC again..grrr so much for gettin rid of the resource hog..

max wrote:

As for finding the max oc: try each card independently first. dont use the auto oc because it only causes problems. What i did is to bump the voltage to 1.4 set the ard to stock 3d speeds and then up the core speed by 10 MHz, test for atifacts with the scanner for about 10 min, close 3D view, save to a temp profile, bump the speeds again, etc.. when windows frroze i went another 5 MHz, that didnt wor so i went 1 MHz wise. Same goes for RAM except that you dont change the V. then do the second card. Try bumping the speed to 15 MHz less than your max oc on the other one to see if it works, then continually increase the speeds until you reach the limit.
Yes i was doing this last night but having crossfire means i do not need to OC my cards to there limits.. i am more interested about reaching maximum performance at bearable levels of fan noise, hence why i asked what the max temp is for an x1900xt?
max
Vela Incident

thats how i have the fan set up. i guess if you run below 70°C in gaming and not much above 80°C in torture testing that would be ideal. 100 is the max it should ever go, however.

As for CCC needing to be installed ... Maybe ATT has an option for CF?

Last edited by max (2006-06-30 09:42:19)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6850|Riva, MD
Without the overclock I tried 2x AA on BF2, it looks good but it crashes and restarts the computer every hour of playing, so i'm gonna turn of AA next time I play.  It's shame that it gets hot so easily or the card might actually be able to do AA in BF2.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-06-30 10:44:05)

Snipe=UKLF=
+17|6750|UK
Ok after hours of fiddling i've come to the conclusion that i can't play BF2 with crossfire enabled (unless i leave the brightness/gamma levels on default settings!).

Instead of flickering, i now have a nice transparent checkerboard effect with the lighter squares getting more distinct as i increase the gamma/brightness.. i think i will be playin with crossfire disabled until ati sort it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
max
Vela Incident

Snipe=UKLF= wrote:

Ok after hours of fiddling i've come to the conclusion that i can't play BF2 with crossfire enabled (unless i leave the brightness/gamma levels on default settings!).

Instead of flickering, i now have a nice transparent checkerboard effect with the lighter squares getting more distinct as i increase the gamma/brightness.. i think i will be playin with crossfire disabled until ati sort it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
too bad .. sorry that it doesnt work. Hopefully that problem will be fixed with a new version of CCC. As a last try did you try Ati tray tools?
TMavC5
+1|6683

Snipe=UKLF= wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or can suggest a fix.

I've recently built a new system with x1900xt crossfire and everything is working fine except for this 1 really annoying issue!

- When i load BF2 it is too dark and i need to increase the brightness/gamma.
- So i go into Catalyst Control Center and increase the brightness/gamma for Full Screen 3D.
- When i load BF2 i get what i can only describe as a "flicker".. its like its constantly changing (4-5 times per second) from the default settings to the new values i have just changed.

If i disable crossfire, it seems to work ok and i can also run BF2 windowed (uses the desktop brightness/gamma settings) with no problem.

I am currently using v6.6 Catalyst drivers, had same problem with v6.5... any suggestions would be much appreciated

PC Spec
Thermaltake Tai Chi Case
620W Liberty PSU
Asus PSWD2-E Premium
Pentium 4 805D (@ 3.8ghz)
OCZ 2GB  PC8000 DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
ATI Radeon X1900 Crossfire Edition
ATI Radeon X1900 XT
2 x 74Gb Raptor
Hi, I don't have exact same problems as yours but my system just take me to the the desktop if Crossfire is enable, however it ran fine without Crossfire enable.  Also, all games ran perfectly with Crossfire Enable, with the exceptions of Battlefield 2.

Here are my configuration:

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
CPU E6700
TT PSU 750W
TT Armour LCS
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Dell 2405FPW
ATI X1900 Crossfire Edition
ATI X1900 XTX
2 x 150 WD RAPTOR(RAID0)
(Current ATI Drive of 6.8)

I don't know where to turn to except gaming community.   ATI help desk is a joke.  Maybe someone here can enlighten me of where to go and how to fix this problem of mine.

TIA.

Last edited by TMavC5 (2006-09-06 20:31:06)

Snipe=UKLF=
+17|6750|UK
Yeah i get that too..sometimes it works fine other times i get sent back to desktop just as BF2 is about to reach the main screen.. you know the 1 with the message from EA.

I'm yet to work out the cause but i know it does it for a while then few weeks later i think "ill give crossfire a go" and it works!! then few days later ill go to play and get sent back to desktop. So i have to disable crossfire to play again.

Very weird, if i ever manage to work out whats going on ill let you know.

Cheers

Snipe
TMavC5
+1|6683

Snipe=UKLF= wrote:

Yeah i get that too..sometimes it works fine other times i get sent back to desktop just as BF2 is about to reach the main screen.. you know the 1 with the message from EA.

I'm yet to work out the cause but i know it does it for a while then few weeks later i think "ill give crossfire a go" and it works!! then few days later ill go to play and get sent back to desktop. So i have to disable crossfire to play again.

Very weird, if i ever manage to work out whats going on ill let you know.

Cheers

Snipe
Well, I don't know what I did, I can't retrace my steps.   But I got this bad boy to run under Crossfire Enable.
Snipe=UKLF=
+17|6750|UK
GJ.. hope ya get some play time in before it mysteriously stops working again

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard