Poll

Who would you prefer to be the dominant superpower in the world?

China6%6% - 25
U.s.a.38%38% - 145
India1%1% - 4
Russia2%2% - 9
Brazil/Latin American Coalition1%1% - 6
E.u.23%23% - 88
Other11%11% - 43
Go Fuck Yourself13%13% - 52
Total: 372
Janysc
+59|6706|Norway
None, for obvious reasons. The US is on the way down, China rising... I'd rather just live on another planet sometimes.
messfeeder
+31|6551|Gotham

Spark wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I voted other because there is no country on this planet that I would trust with being the "predominant" super power.
Plus, why is 'go fuck yourself' always an option?
Maybe he likes to jack off? Who knows...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

easy-skanking wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

We will be returning to a multi-superpower world shortly.
define shortly ? 40 years ?
EU shouldnt even be on there you act as if the EU is some sort of cohesive power. The army is NATO ..the EU is little more than a market and currency system.

CmaeronPoe wrote:

At least China aren't imperialistic and tend to leave everyone else the fuck alone...
really? i think you chould ask korea japan hong kong taiwan and vietnam if they think china is a really nice group of folks that leaves "everyone the fuck alone"

ask south korea / japan / every other country we had a conflict with if the united states is an imperial power in thier country. give it a rest with the imperialistic crap..
I think you'll find China haven't done ANYTHING in recent history (~30/40 years at least) to suggest that they have imperialistic deisgns on any of the countries you mention. In fact - weren't China on the RECEIVING end of imperialism in WWII?

I will concede that China have issues in Tibet and Taiwan but I don't think the rest of the world need to be worried.

I put the EU as a choice .... for others - it's a POLL .... I don't believe they are or will be a superpower but hey - things change as time goes by. The EU may someday have an army and a consitution.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667

CameronPoe wrote:

easy-skanking wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

We will be returning to a multi-superpower world shortly.
define shortly ? 40 years ?
EU shouldnt even be on there you act as if the EU is some sort of cohesive power. The army is NATO ..the EU is little more than a market and currency system.

CmaeronPoe wrote:

At least China aren't imperialistic and tend to leave everyone else the fuck alone...
really? i think you chould ask korea japan hong kong taiwan and vietnam if they think china is a really nice group of folks that leaves "everyone the fuck alone"

ask south korea / japan / every other country we had a conflict with if the united states is an imperial power in thier country. give it a rest with the imperialistic crap..
I think you'll find China haven't done ANYTHING in recent history (~30/40 years at least) to suggest that they have imperialistic deisgns on any of the countries you mention. In fact - weren't China on the RECEIVING end of imperialism in WWII?

I will concede that China have issues in Tibet and Taiwan but I don't think the rest of the world need to be worried.

I put the EU as a choice .... for others - it's a POLL .... I don't believe they are or will be a superpower but hey - things change as time goes by. The EU may someday have an army and a consitution.
im not too sure but I always thought that China and Vietnam got into it sometime in the 70's or 80's. 

but, to counter the Taiwan/Tibet thing.  History has shown once you give a mouse a cookie, hes gonna want a glass of milk.  If we let China take Taiwan, where are we gonna stop.  If you say China has the right to control Taiwan, then you could say they have the right towards the whole of asia.  at one time or another china was the landlord.  To assume the Chinese arent gonna ever want more is silly I think, given human nature.  But ofcourse these are all my opinions and I dont have too high a regard for human nature
messfeeder
+31|6551|Gotham

CameronPoe wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Not really - none of the bad stuff in the world generally happens to us here in peaceful old Europe. It doesn't really matter a toss who is pulling the strings.
I cant believe you wrote that? Are you thinking " Last 4 years " Not 10, 20 50. ?
Well I kind of meant the EU - I couldn't give a toss about the plebs out east until they accede. In the EU we seem to live in a nice protective sphere where shit goes on all around us and doesn't seem to impact on us....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3500452.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4399748.stm

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/d … id=3379357

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/interna … 61,00.html

http://www.saag.org/%5Cpapers17%5Cpaper1615.html

What?
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6607|Finland
Finland, or... I should rule the world.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584

easy-skanking wrote:

really? i think you chould ask korea
China warned the US not to approach it's borders, when they did it went in to assist North Korea

easy-skanking wrote:

japan
Uh.......China never successfully invaded Japan, AFAIK, Japan, on the other hand

easy-skanking wrote:

hong kong
What does that have to do with anything?  It was traded to Britain under the old Chinese empire, and China now has it back.  What does it have to do with imperialism.

easy-skanking wrote:

taiwan
I don't really want to get into this again, suffice to say that it's a bad example because it's highly debatable

easy-skanking wrote:

and vietnam
Uh......China invaded Vietnam under the old system w/ the emporer, it is hardly the same China anymore.  That's like saying that Australians are nomads because Aborigines tended to move camp a lot.

None of this is to say that I'm a fan of China, just that your examples have nothing to do with their imperialism or otherwise.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-06-27 02:01:03)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667
BUBBALO you make it so bloody easy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

how many more times i gotta prove you wrong

EDIT: yeah go ahead and read the whole thing then realize you were wrong about your facts AGAIN and never return to this thread, like so many others.  TAP OUT

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-27 02:02:39)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584
Yeah, I've read it:

1)  What about the rest of my facts?

2)  The war wasn't imperialistic, they didn't attempt to occupy

3)  Why the fuck should I know about a war 30 years ago that had no real affect on anything?
easy-skanking
+43|6559

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

im not too sure but I always thought that China and Vietnam got into it sometime in the 70's or 80's.
youre not mistaken the chinese invaded vietnam in 79' called the sino-viet conflict. they also participated in the korean war.

while they havent taken military action in hong kong and taiwan *yet* i bet they dont say the chinese "leave them the fuck alone"

i also read in the news we sent missile defense systems to japan.. they dont trust china or korea. i think the japanese would attest to America not being imperialistic.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667

Bubbalo wrote:

Yeah, I've read it:

1)  What about the rest of my facts?

2)  The war wasn't imperialistic, they didn't attempt to occupy

3)  Why the fuck should I know about a war 30 years ago that had no real affect on anything?
all of a sudden, lol......

those damn chinese emperors and their horse archers, DAMN THEM!

wow, why should you know about a war that took place 30 years ago when you seem to have known so much about imperial china two seconds ago.  I know I CANT be the only one reading this.
you crack me up bubba, keep up the good work

the only reason the ROC is not the PRC is because of the United States.  If we didnt have their back, youd be seeing that red flag flying there too.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-27 02:14:27)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584

easy-skanking wrote:

while they havent taken military action in hong kong and taiwan *yet* i bet they dont say the chinese "leave them the fuck alone"
Again, bad examples, as Hong Kong is part of China, and Tawain's sovereignty is highly debatable.

easy-skanking wrote:

i also read in the news we sent missile defense systems to japan.. they dont trust china or korea. i think the japanese would attest to America not being imperialistic.
Allies tend not to say things which might cast you in a bad light.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

messfeeder wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

I cant believe you wrote that? Are you thinking " Last 4 years " Not 10, 20 50. ?
Well I kind of meant the EU - I couldn't give a toss about the plebs out east until they accede. In the EU we seem to live in a nice protective sphere where shit goes on all around us and doesn't seem to impact on us....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3500452.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4399748.stm

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/d … id=3379357

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/interna … 61,00.html

http://www.saag.org/%5Cpapers17%5Cpaper1615.html

What?
Hey - that kind of stuff is rife in ALL parts of the world and far, far worse in MOST other parts of the world. I still say we have it easy here in glorious Europa.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-27 02:16:53)

I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6742|Melbourne, Australia
Russia!! W00t!
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

wow, why should you know about a war that took place 30 years ago when you seem to have known so much about imperial china two second ago.  I know I CANT be the only one reading this.

the only reason the ROC is not the PRC is because of the United States.  If we didnt have their back, youd be seeing that red flag flying there too.
What did I say about Chinese emperors? (and, btw, Mongolians were famous for their horse archers.  They're the ones the Great Wall was supposed to keep out.

Re knowledge of issues: China has a huge effect on the world at large, and the Chinese Empire was a powerful force.  It had a great affect on how modern China turned out.  The little skirmish you talked about did nothing.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667

Bubbalo wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

wow, why should you know about a war that took place 30 years ago when you seem to have known so much about imperial china two second ago.  I know I CANT be the only one reading this.

What did I say about Chinese emperors? (and, btw, Mongolians were famous for their horse archers.  They're the ones the Great Wall was supposed to keep out.

Re knowledge of issues: China has a huge effect on the world at large, and the Chinese Empire was a powerful force.  It had a great affect on how modern China turned out.  The little skirmish you talked about did nothing.
at least 70,000 dead chinese and vietnemese might think other wise. again.  dude, dont fuck with a history major.

Mongols do not have the monopoly on horse archers

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-27 02:21:20)

easy-skanking
+43|6559
hong kong is part of china again becuase they threatened (simliar to taiwan) that they either joined the prc or they will take it. the premise that hong kong joined was to avoid conflict.

the allies *united states* "tend not to stay" becuase it is not an imperial power...

taiwans soverignty is not debateable.. they are soverign and if china messes with them we'll be there.

also the mongols invaded japan constantly
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584
70,000?  'Cause that article you link to suggests it's around 50,000.  Around meaning it could be less.  History major, eh?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667

Bubbalo wrote:

70,000?  'Cause that article you link to suggests it's around 50,000.  Around meaning it could be less.  History major, eh?
can you read english man?

WIKIFUCKINGPEDIA wrote:

To this day, both sides of the conflict describe themselves as the victor. The number of casualties is disputed, with the Vietnamese claiming that the Chinese suffered 60,000 casualties and 20,000 deaths. The Chinese claim they suffered casualties of about 20,000 to 30,000 with Vietnamese losses at about 40,000 to 60,000.
I sadi vietnamese and chinese and I gave a conservative number because both sides claim different. 

you make it easier everytime

cmon bubba you're playing with the big boys

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-27 02:24:43)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

easy-skanking wrote:

hong kong is part of china again becuase they threatened (simliar to taiwan) that they either joined the prc or they will take it. the premise that hong kong joined was to avoid conflict.

the allies *united states* "tend not to stay" becuase it is not an imperial power...

taiwans soverignty is not debateable.. they are soverign and if china messes with them we'll be there.

Hong Kong IS an undisputable part of China. The Chinese LEASED it to the UK for a period of 99 years. The lease ran out and the UK returned Hong Kong to China. The Chinese agreed to allow capitalism to continue in Hong Kong for a period of 50 years - hardly tyrannical.
easy-skanking
+43|6559
just to add some more derailment they both claim victory according to casualties

so in vietnam the nva lost 2-5 million and the us lost 50k

man we kick ass
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6573|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
This topic has changed from "which country would you like to be the superpower of the future" into "which country, should rule the World".  A superpower does not rule the World at all. 

I mean, the US is the current "superpower" and do they directly govern what other countries do?  No.  Of course, they have the biggest indirect input on most other countries, but other than the US's economic performance, the States don't have any affect on other nations more than any other country. 

Most of the big decisions that the US get critisised for aren't really about the superpower status and more to do with the countries makeup.  Kyoto was really about the fact the US has a big car using population rather than the fact they are the superpower.  If a small country with a small population wee the superpower, no fuss would have been made over their refusal.

I don't like the term superpower anyway.  It implies a country has more power over the globe than another country which just isn't true.  The US have a say in NATO (But no bigger than anyone elses) and that's about it in terms of their "powers".  I'd like top see the US telling Cuba what it can and can't do.........
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584

easy-skanking wrote:

Or because it was a part of the Commonwealth and was handed back in accordance with the deal, but whatever.....

easy-skanking wrote:

My point was that of course US allies want call it imperial because it has negative connotations.  I'm not sure what you're point is.

easy-skanking wrote:

It isn't a nation according to the UN, and is only a nation according to 27 countries.  The US isn't one of them.

easy-skanking wrote:

Funnily enough, Mongolians aren't Chinese.  Mongolians come from Mongolia, Chinese come from China.  Crazy, I know.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

WIKIFUCKINGPEDIA wrote:

To this day, both sides of the conflict describe themselves as the victor. The number of casualties is disputed, with the Vietnamese claiming that the Chinese suffered 60,000 casualties and 20,000 deaths. The Chinese claim they suffered casualties of about 20,000 to 30,000 with Vietnamese losses at about 40,000 to 60,000.
I sadi vietnamese and chinese and I gave a conservative number because both sides claim different.
Conservative would mean a low number, yours was high.  And you said at least, which would be what you'd say for a minimum estimate.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Then why do you have so much trouble?

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Yeah, well, the rest of the adults look down on you, but I figure even boys have some intelligence.  Maybe I was wrong.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667
The United States told cuba to find another source of 1950's pop culture
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667

Bubbalo wrote:

easy-skanking wrote:

Or because it was a part of the Commonwealth and was handed back in accordance with the deal, but whatever.....

easy-skanking wrote:

My point was that of course US allies want call it imperial because it has negative connotations.  I'm not sure what you're point is.

easy-skanking wrote:

It isn't a nation according to the UN, and is only a nation according to 27 countries.  The US isn't one of them.

easy-skanking wrote:

Funnily enough, Mongolians aren't Chinese.  Mongolians come from Mongolia, Chinese come from China.  Crazy, I know.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

WIKIFUCKINGPEDIA wrote:

Conservative would mean a low number, yours was high.  And you said at least, which would be what you'd say for a minimum estimate.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Then why do you have so much trouble?

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Yeah, well, the rest of the adults look down on you, but I figure even boys have some intelligence.  Maybe I was wrong.
bubba im through with you for tonight lets see what other people gotta say about this tomnorrow.  Your posts really are good for humor.  thx for the laughs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard