Poll

is global warming a real threat

yes71%71% - 337
no28%28% - 135
Total: 472
herrr_smity
+156|6651|space command ur anus
its my opinion that we are fucking the world up at a rate that is just stupid.
we won't get another chance at fixing this, scientist think that within ten year we may have gone past the point of no return.
And as long as we have a petroleum based economy and a Bunche of politicians and corporation's that are more interested in profits then the health of OUR home i don't think that we can solve this shitty situation.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6740
i would agree w/ u... this world is all about money and no coorporation really gives a shit, i would agree that global warming is a threat
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6564|vancouver

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

i would agree w/ u... this world is all about money and no coorporation really gives a shit, i would agree that global warming is a threat
qfe
jarhedch
+12|6693|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st
not a threat, a boat load of media hype, look at the temperature records, wqarming and cooling is a NATURAL trend that has ahppened for millions of years, and climate change has yet to be proven in response to global warming. and that "great" institution known as the UN has become less accurate with their figures the more studies they have done. Sound like progress huh?
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6554|Sydney, in 1978
screw you hippies were not gonna be around to see the world end and were more likely to kill each other before the worlds get too hot to live in, so in the mean time enjoy your big block chevys before there is no fuel left to run them on
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6871
I sort of assumed it was a given until I read the novel State of Fear written by Michael Crichton.  While it was obviously a fictionalized story, it included significant real historical data to suggest the evidence is at best equivocal.  The focus being on which glaciers are melting while ignoring those increasing in size.

The counter suggestion being that the weather cycles are significantly longer than man has recorded them, ergo the world may have gone through similar weather extremes in the past.  So when you significantly lengthen the line of history, what we term "extreme" - becomes a tiny ripple in the time line.

It was an interesting read if for no other reason than to spark the debate in another direction.

Last edited by Ronball9 (2006-06-25 01:14:17)

Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6616|Lexington, Kentucky

jarhedch wrote:

not a threat, a boat load of media hype, look at the temperature records, wqarming  and cooling is a NATURAL trend that has ahppened for millions of years, and climate change has yet to be proven in response to global warming. and that "great" institution known as the UN has become less accurate with their figures the more studies they have done. Sound like progress huh?
According to a broad review of scientific data requested by Congress: Climate Change has been proven. Sorry about that, mate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060622/ap_ … _warming_1

"For all but the most recent 150 years, the academy scientists relied on "proxy" evidence from tree rings, corals, glaciers and ice cores, cave deposits, ocean and lake sediments, boreholes and other sources. They also examined indirect records such as paintings of glaciers in the Alps.

Combining that information gave the panel "a high level of confidence that the last few decades of the 20th century were warmer than any comparable period in the last 400 years," the academy said.

Overall, the panel agreed that the warming in the last few decades of the 20th century was unprecedented over the last 1,000 years, though relatively warm conditions persisted around the year 1000, followed by a "Little Ice Age" from about 1500 to 1850.

The scientists said they had less confidence in the evidence of temperatures before 1600. But they considered it reliable enough to conclude there were sharp spikes in carbon dioxide and methane, the two major "greenhouse" gases blamed for trapping heat in the atmosphere, beginning in the 20th century, after remaining fairly level for 12,000 years."

Now, lets think about this for a minute. We have a few billion automobiles, power plants, etc. Each one is spewing pollutants into the atmosphere. On what is essentially a ginormous spherical space-ship. Can this be good? No.

So essentially after a while, we might as well pucker our lips around the arse-end of a ford, and breathe deeply.

Sorry for the long post, but this is one of my "hot-button" issues.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
My opinion is that nobody has any real idea - because the whole thing has become politicized. Scientists cannot publish real, objective data because they are all too aware of who's funding their salary. Environmental organisations are stuck with the policies of the 1970s. 'Industries' are a bit too concerned about profits.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS

Ronball9 wrote:

I sort of assumed it was a given until I read the novel State of Fear written by Michael Crichton.  While it was obviously a fictionalized story, it included significant real historical data to suggest the evidence is at best equivocal.  The focus being on which glaciers are melting while ignoring those increasing in size.

The counter suggestion being that the weather cycles are significantly longer than man has recorded them, ergo the world may have gone through similar weather extremes in the past.  So when you significantly lengthen the line of history, what we term "extreme" - becomes a tiny ripple in the time line.

It was an interesting read if for no other reason than to spark the debate in another direction.
That book was the spawnpoint of a very long debate (with myself) - which ended with that view.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jarhedch

Mongoose wrote:

screw you hippies were not gonna be around to see the world end and were more likely to kill each other before the worlds get too hot to live in, so in the mean time enjoy your big block chevys before there is no fuel left to run them on
well heh, guess you got me there, i'll drive my 18.6 liters of 4 cars until the well pumps dry, but it doesnt change the way i feel.

Last edited by jarhedch (2006-06-25 01:21:49)

jarhedch

Spark wrote:

My opinion is that nobody has any real idea - because the whole thing has become politicized. Scientists cannot publish real, objective data because they are all too aware of who's funding their salary. Environmental organisations are stuck with the policies of the 1970s. 'Industries' are a bit too concerned about profits.
precisely, the hype is created to fund scientists, who will only creat more hype to get mroe funding and support their data. and trust me, the world has been hotter than this, and ice core samples have shown that the level of CO2 was far higher a few thousand years ago than they are today and the erath wasn't that much warmer. ALL the facts toigtehr (i.e. reading all glacier samples, not just thinning ones, etc.) suggest that the earth is still very much in balance.
iamangry
+59|6669|The United States of America
Global warming is occuring, there is no doubt about that.  The questions are why and for how long?  The reason temperatures are at a 4 century high is because of a period that ended in the early 1800's called the little ice age( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2000 … arison.png ).  Why did we come out of the little ice age?  Was it because the natural cycle had ended, or was it because of the industrial revolution?  If you examine the following graph, youll see that there's an interesting jump in the WWII time period ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Inst … Record.png ).  Does this correspond to a warm spell, or to the continual churning of more factories, tanks, planes, ships, and bombs than at any time in history?  The fact of the matter is that we just do not have enough data to project a cojent hypothesis.  Any responsible scientist will tell you that, jarhech (btw, as a physicist I really resent that comment).  However, there is interesting theory behind the chemical processes involved in global warming which cannot be denied, and while we cannot be sure that human emissions have not changed the climate patterns, we cannot be sure that they have not changed the climate patterns either.  As there is evidence to suggest both, and neither can be ruled out, it is only logical to take steps to reduce emissions.  While there is a chance that our actions could have deleterious consequences, we should be responsible as a people and work to correct the problem.  For if the proliferation of CO2, SOx and NOx do prove to be hazardous in the long term, it is in our best interest to act now, for the damage would also likely be a long term effect.
nev
+23|6610|Land of OZ

Anfidurl wrote:

According to a broad review of scientific data requested by Congress: Climate Change has been proven. Sorry about that, mate.

So essentially after a while, we might as well pucker our lips around the arse-end of a ford, and breathe deeply.
agrees

have a + 1 on me
Mackaronen
+18|6660|Uppland, Sweden
If we did not have global warming we would have an ice age about now. So by that global warming is our friend.
But i might get out of hand soon. Then it becomes our enemy.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6745|Sydney, Australia

Mackaronen wrote:

If we did not have global warming we would have an ice age about now. So by that global warming is our friend.
Evidence?

Mcminty.
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6699|Moscow, Russia
Guys, when the shit starts to hit the fan, we won't be able to anything. When the ice of the North Pole starts to melt (it already is) half of Europe will be under water. Don't know about other countries though.
MorbidFetus
+76|6575|Ohio
It's too late to reverse any man-made increase to the natural warming process of the Earth. All current debate is in hype format.

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-06-25 09:26:14)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6553|Global Command
One large volcano or asteriod impact= end of global warming.
Global warming is a natural event offset by other natural events.
Mars is a dead planet because of global warming and last I checked, no cars factories or Americans to screw it up.  A million years of unoffset warming will destroy a atmosphere, but one hundred years of fossil fuel usage will not.
herrr_smity
+156|6651|space command ur anus

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

One large volcano or asteriod impact= end of global warming.
Global warming is a natural event offset by other natural events.
Mars is a dead planet because of global warming and last I checked, no cars factories or Americans to screw it up.  A million years of unoffset warming will destroy a atmosphere, but one hundred years of fossil fuel usage will not.
you must be living in a dream world
TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6747|New Hampshire
We truely are fucked.  I can't link to a source about this (sorry) but I heard on the news a while back that if we stopped using fossil fuels in EVERYTHING in the world tomorrow, the temperature of the planet would still rise by 1 degree celsius within a year.

If fossil fuel useage had nothing to do with it, isn't it kind of coincidental that after what, 4000 years of human existance, it's only in the past 100 where we started burning shit that things have been going down hill?  If you don't believe me, check weather almanacs - things are getting worse.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6553|Global Command
https://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1682/beatdeadhorse9wk.jpg

Last edited by Alexanderthegrape (2006-06-25 10:19:26)

daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6599
World gets flooded, cars stop getting used/destroyed + other polluting things. World slowly cools down.

Or EA and Dice know whats gonna happen and are showing us with 2142
Mackaronen
+18|6660|Uppland, Sweden

mcminty wrote:

Mackaronen wrote:

Evidence?

Mcminty.
Not on the web but in a Swedish Science magazine. But i think it was considered a very controversial idea and it was just one science team who had come to that conclusion. It had started when Chinese farmers started growing rice. Evidently the rice fields produces a lot of gases that causes global warming. But the article also stated that, now we are overdoing it a bit and are probably gonna end up in a world of sh*i where the survival of the fittest rule will apply.
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6568
Don't rely on others to give you information that you can research yourself.  Weather records are readily available.

My personal belief is that a gradual warming trend is occurring and that it is part of the Earth's natural cycle.

Never trust what others may think however because you NEVER know who is paying them to say what they are saying.
Fred[OZ75]
Jihad Jeep Driver
+19|6783|Perth, Western Australia
We do have temperature and CO2 records from the last 400,000 years...
http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precau … /New_Data/

This shows that the inter-glacial period we are in is common but we have managed to extend it, also CO2 levels we currently have have not been seen in the last 400,000 years, we have pushed the CO2 levels straight up compared to this recent data.

We ain't going to destroy the environment, but we will make it different and how quickly that changes will be affected by us. All major extinctions always occur when there is rapid changes in the climate. True there have been many times in geological history where there have been vastly more CO2 in the atmosphere but every one of those periods include massive amounts of volcanic activity... the earth is currently rather quite in volcanic activity and yet we see a high and ever increasing CO2 levels... the ONLY explanation is us humans burning the last 250 million years of accumulated carbon into the atmosphere in the last 200.

Last edited by Fred[OZ75] (2006-06-25 16:11:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard