TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6842|Netherlands
Curious about, using all ur video card,    like i do, to             > highest settings,  i seen some screenshots,      with different settings,      so i noticed,     the thing it does is provide u with much more undergrowth,              and details,      on the specific map,     so u think u can hide and stay unseen?,             but,    how about the opponent?,     when he has his settings to,  >  low,     thus have lesser undergrowth?     bushes and whatsoever, wil he see me?  iaw,  his map has lesser detail,       so easier to spot enemy?;                                                       so my visual map is  more trouble spotting??
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6860|Bryan/College Station, TX
There are both benefits and disadvantages to having  a very high graphic setting.

Benefits comes from being able to see in better detail. Hence you see further, see movement easier and you can distinguish a soldier prone next to an object better than someone who simply see a boxy shape move. Easier to aim long distance shots.

Disadvantages comes from the fact that you can see everything including tall grass, bushes and all the neat stuff that makes the game pretty. Shadows, lighting, shaders. Someone with a lower setting does not have to worry about many of the bushes because they are not actual permanent models and are just pretty scenary. Hence you may think you are hiding behind a bush but in actuality to the person with lower graphics you are hiding in the middle of the open. Easy shot. Also you may think you are hiding in a nice dark alcove which is hard to see into. The person with the lower graphic settings may see no shadows at all and instead you are night and lit on his monitor. Bang easy shot.

So higher graphics = viewing distance, detail movement, pretty game.
Lower graphics = no unnecessary bushes and grass, no shadows and light flares.
Frame rate might also be a factor for some.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6842|Netherlands
Then why are there no  servers,   with high settings only,    for those who can deal with it?  ;p .  and i wish to have ladders= stairs..  laying around, so we couldt climb on, and in more buildings....or structures.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6865|"Frisco"

The server can't force a client to change their video settings.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6787|AUS, Canberra
i think most people would rather run everything on high if they could, thats why people upgrade there comps all the time..
thinner44
+1|6826

kilroy0097 wrote:

You mean, all the time I've been running and hiding from bush to bush, someone may see me out in the open ducking and diving for nothing.... I don't know whether to laugh or cry

New mod for future games: sandwich board that says 'I'm here!!!'
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6842|Netherlands

thinner44 wrote:

kilroy0097 wrote:

You mean, all the time I've been running and hiding from bush to bush, someone may see me out in the open ducking and diving for nothing.... I don't know whether to laugh or cry

YEP!  loool
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

thinner44 wrote:

kilroy0097 wrote:

Well keep in mind there are two types of ground cover.

Static pretty ground cover and Static object ground cover.
Those big fern palm bush things are static object ground cover. Hence if you hide behind them then you are really hiding behind them. If someone shoots at them with a big ass cannon it will hit the palm and not hurt you behind it. Yea I know its stupid but that's how objects work.

Then there are pretty bushes that look like holly bushes and really tall grass that waves across fields. Yea no use going prone and sneaking around... I see you the entire time. And if I was a sniper you would be dead.

If you really want to find out what you see that I don't see then set your graphical settings in the medium and low range. It will look crappy but at least you will learn but to hide behind and in and where not to hide.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
=[4th]=Lynx
+0|6786|Scotland
i run all my settings on low, only because my pc wont handle high settings

im going to upgrade my motherboard and processor (cant upgrade my processor without getting a new motherboard caus it sucks!)     anyone got any sugestions on what motherboard and processor to get so i can run all settings on high........

i have 1GB of ram but if i got a new motherboard id probaly upgrade that to 2GB+   
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

=[4th]=Lynx wrote:

i run all my settings on low, only because my pc wont handle high settings

im going to upgrade my motherboard and processor (cant upgrade my processor without getting a new motherboard caus it sucks!)     anyone got any sugestions on what motherboard and processor to get so i can run all settings on high........

i have 1GB of ram but if i got a new motherboard id probaly upgrade that to 2GB+   
Upgrade your motherboard you will probably have to upgrade your ram. I would look into first before you assume you can keep your ram. You may have to find someone who will buy the Mainboard, Processor and Memory off you as a package deal.
McCullough
+7|6855
I run my settings on Medium and it works fine, wnat to run on high though so i'm going to upgrade my graficcard and increase my ram to 2GB.
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6830
Its alot harder to hit a moving enemy with 30 FPS than it is with 60+

Plus AA makes it alot easier to hit long range targets.
thinner44
+1|6826
kilroy0097, before you'd told me all of this, I wouldn't have had a clue. But now I look back at some games, it makes sense. I must have looked pretty damn stupid to some people and now I think about it, all I can do is laugh my socks off
I've always used medium settings and assumed everybody saw what I saw. You've opened up a can of worms for me
OholibaH
The Disconnected
+0|6853
Dynamic Lightning is very useful. It allows you to spot enemys who are around a corner when they shoot, because of the flash
Got me quite a lot kills this setting

But i wonder if there are any differences between the viewing distance at different computers... i have set mine to 100% and model details to high, but my buddy sees my helo before i can see his AA... with the same settings. only difference is, i've got a radeon9600 Pro and he got a Radeon9800...
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6803

I turned off lighting because I couldn't see shit in the shadows... stupid bf2 and not having gamma settings
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6793|UK
I have to run my game settings on low 800x600, but from my understanding i'm sure i should be able to run it higher than this without low FPS. A quick glance at my setup is:

3.2Ghz P4 w/ 800mhz FSB
1.5GB of RAM
Radeon 9800XT 256MB    8xAGP
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
1xMaxtor 40GB HDD - for OS and system files.
1xSATA RAID Drive 160GB - games n' shit
Not too sure on my motherboard.

I was experiencing problems with the game screen lagging when certain sound files played so I added the soundcard as I thought that this would have been down to the onboard sound milking the CPU it worked and now runs seamlessley but not on any other setting. I've installed the game on both HD's but to no avail.
What should i upgrade now? Please help me as i've not been keeping upto date with the latest technology this past few months. Thanks in advance.

Back ontopic: Yes i do beleive low settings holds more advantages than higher. I find it's mainly because of the shadows when my friend thinks he is well hidden in a shadowy corner I tell him that he's sitting in the middle of a bright magnolia coloured room wearing dark green & black camo and sticks out like a sore thumb.
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6857|Scotland!
OK i have the Geforce 5200 FX (which is BELOW min reqs) so I'm forced to set everything on low.

Since I am mainly an avaitor, i can only give it to you from my POV, but it's a SEVERE disadvantage.  I cannot see planes or targets in the distance, and occasionally cannot see cliffs.  As you can guess it's a bit of a nightmare, locking on and following a target you cannot see!

SO yeah.... Good graphics for the win!
Heerst
+0|6779
I usually disable shadows in multiplayer FPS games, because you can see much better in what would normally be dark and shadowy areas. In BF2 set lighting on low. With lighting on medium or high, the game does look a lot better but some areas like alleyways or indoor locations are simply too dark, and you may not be able to see a hidden enemy soldier.

If you set geometry on medium or high, the level of detail on vehicles increases. You'll be able to see them from further away. This is especially useful if you're flying a jet or heli, because you can see enemy jets/helicopters or AA vehicles in the distance.

Enabling dymanic shadows gives soldiers and vehicles a shadow. Under the right circumstances this can be useful for spotting a soldier standing around the corner. You can see muzzle flashes if you enable dynamic lighting, which could give you an advantage.

I prefer playing with a higher resolution instead of more AA. At first I was playing at 1024x768 and 4xAA, but then I switched to 1280x1024 and 2xAA. It makes the graphics look more clear (especially in the distance), thus making it easier to hit targets at long range.
Mr_Self-Destruct
+0|6779|Gilbert, Arizona
hmmm. i just got a new Gateway GT5014, and i want to put a Radeon 9550 in it because stock it has an ATI Theater 500.

so out of the box it has:

Intel Pentium D 820 Processor (dual-core, both @ 2.8GHz; 8000Mhz FSB; 2x1 MB L2 cache)
1024 MB DDR2 dual-channel memory
250 GB SATA HDD (7200 RPM w/ 8MB cache)

so what i am asking is, with a Radeon 9550 (because i am pretty sure the Theater won't handle it), will i get a fairly good display kicking out without stalling and sh*t? (i've had problems with this before. Compaq's are POS's. but then again it was fully stock and we only had 2 128 sticks in it. and then it got raped by spyware and the like.)

and on top of that, i will be using my main drive because, unfortunately, i don't have an auxiliary to use for gaming. so i have to sacrifice just a bit.

Last edited by Mr_Self-Destruct (2005-10-23 14:51:45)

=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6850

McCullough wrote:

I run my settings on Medium and it works fine, wnat to run on high though so i'm going to upgrade my graficcard and increase my ram to 2GB.
Same... I have 1GB ram and a 6600GT and I run on Medium and everyhting looks great. but I want high graphics. so I'm getting(soon I hope) another gig of ram and probably a 6800GT.. and if I have the money, a 7800GTx.
CplClarkUSMC
Semper Fidelis
+0|6789

Mr_Self-Destruct wrote:

hmmm. i just got a new Gateway GT5014, and i want to put a Radeon 9550 in it because stock it has an ATI Theater 500.

so out of the box it has:

Intel Pentium D 820 Processor (dual-core, both @ 2.8GHz; 8000Mhz FSB; 2x1 MB L2 cache)
1024 MB DDR2 dual-channel memory
250 GB SATA HDD (7200 RPM w/ 8MB cache)

so what i am asking is, with a Radeon 9550 (because i am pretty sure the Theater won't handle it), will i get a fairly good display kicking out without stalling and sh*t? (i've had problems with this before. Compaq's are POS's. but then again it was fully stock and we only had 2 128 sticks in it. and then it got raped by spyware and the like.)

and on top of that, i will be using my main drive because, unfortunately, i don't have an auxiliary to use for gaming. so i have to sacrifice just a bit.
your computer is good for high settings, but your graphics card is crap, and the radeon 9550 is crap too.. get a radeon x800 or better , should be able to get one for 200 or so now that the x1800 and such are out, i have an x850 and its outstanding..
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6830

Milk.org wrote:

I have to run my game settings on low 800x600, but from my understanding i'm sure i should be able to run it higher than this without low FPS. A quick glance at my setup is:

3.2Ghz P4 w/ 800mhz FSB
1.5GB of RAM
Radeon 9800XT 256MB    8xAGP
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
1xMaxtor 40GB HDD - for OS and system files.
1xSATA RAID Drive 160GB - games n' shit
Not too sure on my motherboard.

I was experiencing problems with the game screen lagging when certain sound files played so I added the soundcard as I thought that this would have been down to the onboard sound milking the CPU it worked and now runs seamlessley but not on any other setting. I've installed the game on both HD's but to no avail.
What should i upgrade now? Please help me as i've not been keeping upto date with the latest technology this past few months. Thanks in advance.

Back ontopic: Yes i do beleive low settings holds more advantages than higher. I find it's mainly because of the shadows when my friend thinks he is well hidden in a shadowy corner I tell him that he's sitting in the middle of a bright magnolia coloured room wearing dark green & black camo and sticks out like a sore thumb.
Thats better specs than my
2.8 P4
2gb generic 3200
and 9800 Pro

Have you tried playing with your video settings in your display properties? Your settings might be set to performance (high AA/AF/Res).

I play with 2xAA - 1024x780 and all medium and high with around 50 - 70fps
US|dirtysouth
purple sticky punch
+0|6831|englewood FL.

Locarno wrote:

OK i have the Ge-force 5200 FX (which is BELOW min reqs) so I'm forced to set everything on low.

Since I am mainly an aviator, i can only give it to you from my POV, but it's a SEVERE disadvantage.  I cannot see planes or targets in the distance, and occasionally cannot see cliffs.  As you can guess it's a bit of a nightmare, locking on and following a target you cannot see!

SO yeah.... Good graphics for the win!
LOL.....i have the same card...and own most i come upon, btw my spell check pick up some errors..i fixed em for ya..
but ya i neveR fly them dam death traps!

Last edited by US|dirtysouth (2005-10-24 06:36:57)

FFOLKES
+39|6780
I snipe with ultra high settings all the time and have never had a problem hiding behind any grass or plant.  I only get spotted when a commander scans/uav or I when I miss a headshot and give away my position through noise or the direction of my hit.

So I think the argument with low/medium versus high is overrated.

If you can play with high/ultra high settings then do so.
pinky_81
+1|6806|Denmark
I've read an official review somewhere: They programmed BF2 so if an enemy can't se the grass you are hiding in he can't see you either (based on distance I believe)...
You can't turn grass off, but obviously it might be easier to spot you with low settings, but you should still have way more advantages with your higher settings as you should be able to spot him first...
On distance you can get in trouble if the enemy can't se the grass, obstacles etc behind you, but that is true for all settings (based on distance).
The most unfair settings must be the dynamic shadows allowing some people to "see in the dark"...

Try googling for battlefield 2 tweak guide...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard