mallchin
+1|6550
Hello people, I'm new to BF2 and I'm here to say this is the buggiest piece of software I have ever used.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, but for a game that's been in the public domain for over a year I would expect the most basic bugs to have been ironed out, instead they crap all over gameplay and take the enjoyment out of it all.

Here's a shortlist of the most common bugs I've noitced so far:

Intenet Multiplayer menu ocasionally locks up/crashes machine
Joining a game occasionally crashes to desktop
When playing map exits with a connection error
Joining a map fails with error modified content not allowed
First map after game loads makes pc unresponsive for 5 minutes (this is *really* annoying)

Once spawned player cannot move
Health kits don't replenish player
Ammo kits don't replenish player

On another note the following aren't quite bugs but they should have been fixed long ago:

Unable to skip startup movies (come on people, this is a *must*)
Cannot filter games by map
Cannot filter games by server options
Cannot make server a favourite once joined

I spend most of my time trying to find a successful map and playing a complete game, I would say the success rate so far is about 1/8, so for every 8 games I play only 1 works (I get to play a full game and am not switched to the loosing side throughout the duration of play). This is simply unacceptable.

When browsing for a server in the multiplayer menu I filter for servers that aren't empty, aren't full and don't have a password. This usually returns around 800 servers of which only the first 30 or 40 have a reasonable ping. Out of these 20 to 30 usually have less then 8 players, not enough for a ranked game, which leaves 10-20 good servers. Out of these 5-10 are usually full by the time I come to join them, so I'm usually left with 5-10 playable servers. This doesn't provide much of a selection as regards to maps and I am unlikely to find a server that doesn't auto-level teams (see below). All-in-all finding a good server to play on is pants.

The problem is further exacerbated through player mentality of the ranking system. No-one seems to want to finish on the loosing side, so players drop out of matches during gameplay if things aren't going their way. This means the loosing side invariably has lesser players, so new players joining the match are put on the loosing side, and on a similar note not-so-good/newer players are moved from the winning side to the loosing side too. Simply put, your only chances of ending up on the winning side are to play a match from the beginning and make sure you do well so your not likely to be switched over as the server seems to pick lower scorers to subsidise the loosing team. The fact you can't filter for server that don't auto-level teams doesn't help either.

One might point at my PC, but I can play UT2004, HL2, CS:S and CoD2 without any glitches what-so-ever -- seamless, enjoyable gameplay. BF2 simply sucks ass compared to any of these as far as connecting to and playing a simply multiplayer game goes.

I close feeling dis-heartened that whilst BF2 has much potential, it will never become kinetic.

Come on UT2007.

Last edited by mallchin (2006-06-22 16:10:11)

Ki][mE
OMG H4XOR!
+51|6584|I'm a Viking....Norway
skip startup movies by pressing Esc or delete the folder containing the movies
DSRTurtle
+56|6707
join a squad or create your own squad.  that will help cut down on being teamswitched.
mallchin
+1|6550
Thanks for that

I found another thread that suggested renaming the startup movies so I've fixed it for now, but escape ought to work and doesn't here. I'm suprised EA/DICE developers didn't get annoyed at this whilst developing the game.
mallchin
+1|6550
Thanks for the squad tip, I do try to join/create a squad for the points too.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6762

This Should be in the BF2 Help Section, but cause your a newb, we'll let you off.
Welcome None to Less.
mallchin
+1|6550
I wasn't after any help (although appreciated), more a little rant
Purple.Urkle
+2|6564|United States
I am gonna try deleting that movie..thanks..never really thought of that.
DSRTurtle
+56|6707
somethings can be dealt with by reading the tips and suggestions in the forums.  Somethings you just have to suffer with.
ig882000
Banned
+2|6588
go play WoW if u dont like it fag
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6603|Eastern USA
https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6436/wrongforum7pj.jpg
mallchin
+1|6550

Battlefield2Player wrote:

The patch 1.3 caused several server errors, one of which I noticed in your post above (game crashes to desktop when you click "join").  We are hoping they fix this in the next patch.
Me too.

You can skip the movies at the beginning by pressing escape (esc)
Only the main movie, the EA and DICE logos always play.

you actually CAN filter servers by map, server name, ping, players and by game mode.  You can do this by simply typing in the name of the server or map in the box above and press "enter".
Thanks, I'll try that, but more then anything I would like to filter for servers that have auto-leveling of teams disabled. I can't see any way of doing this.

You can make the server a favorite by holding down tab, right clicking, and left clicking on the arrow indicating "server info".  Once you have done this, you can add or remove favorites.  (To get to your "Favorites List", you can click "Multiplayer" and then "Favorites" in the main menu.
You can do this from within a game? I'll try it, thanks. I want to be able to add a server to favourites once I've joined and am playing.

As for your "server-finding" problems, I would suggest setting the filters to "Ranked", "No password" and "Same version only".  These are my filters and I normally have a decent selection of around 2,500 servers.
I negated to mention I have all of these set too, sorry.

I hope this helps you.
I'll be sure to try, thanks!
mallchin
+1|6550

ig882000 wrote:

go play WoW if u dont like it fag
That's the kind of constructive criticism that makes you stand out from the crowd. What was it they called it, aah yes, fuckwit.

Please kep your mindless comments to yourself.
mallchin
+1|6550

DSRTurtle wrote:

somethings can be dealt with by reading the tips and suggestions in the forums.  Somethings you just have to suffer with.
Suffer I do
[PHPR]-SpecialOps
+18|6803|Your six is my twelve
LOL, this game does have more bugs than a $50 apartment and costs infinitly more than any other FPS I know of. Just don't know which one to get.  A lot of the bugs you mentioned can be fixed, but theres a lot more that you haven't mentioned. Just need everyone to pack up and head to CS and we'll be good to go.
mallchin
+1|6550
Well I'm running the latest 1.3 patch and the moto seems to be "This server is running 1.3 patch so it's bound to crash anytime soon -- please rejoin". If that's the sentiment from the people running the servers what are us players supposed to think? Personally I feel for a game that's been out for this long, and had a number of patches already, the major bugs should have been fixed. The fact the first game I join takes well over 10 minutes from load to joining the match, and has a 80% faliure rate is simply unacceptable.

I have CS:S, should give it a try I prefer UT2004 though hehe.

Last edited by mallchin (2006-06-23 07:03:38)

iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6550|Belgium

mallchin wrote:

You can stop the movies by looking for the .bik files in your BF2 folder (i dont remember where, but it isnt hard to find)

Just rename the files to .backup or something, and when you start up BF2 they will have disappeared
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6548|Belgium

Or even easier with the movies, change your link from
"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart

no more movies at the beginning.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6648|Warlord

mallchin wrote:

Hello people, I'm new to BF2 and I'm here to say this is the buggiest piece of software I have ever used.
Haven't played GRAW have you?

mallchin wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept, but for a game that's been in the public domain for over a year I would expect the most basic bugs to have been ironed out...
That is undeniably true. Instead, as you'll probably have learned by now, each patch introduced a new set of problems.

mallchin wrote:

Intenet Multiplayer menu ocasionally locks up/crashes machine
Doesn't happen to me.

mallchin wrote:

Joining a game occasionally crashes to desktop
All-new problem courtesy of 1.3.

mallchin wrote:

When playing map exits with a connection error
Mostly a new problem since 1.3.

mallchin wrote:

Joining a map fails with error modified content not allowed
Doesn't happen to me.

mallchin wrote:

First map after game loads makes pc unresponsive for 5 minutes (this is *really* annoying)
I can imagine it would be annoying but I don't get this. Even when I had only 1 gig of RAM and a lesser graphics card I didn't get this... had about seven seconds of extreme jerkiness when I first spawned (as textures loaded?) but it was pretty okay after that.

mallchin wrote:

Once spawned player cannot move
This has to be one of the most annoying. Only happens occasionally thank God.

mallchin wrote:

Health kits don't replenish player
Ammo kits don't replenish player
Not that common thankfully. Not sure but this might only be since 1.3.

mallchin wrote:

Move 'em all into a subdirectory.

mallchin wrote:

Cannot filter games by map#
Yes you can. See the fields above each part? Type Shar above the map name and hit Enter and you'll get Sharqi only, Kark for Karkand etc.

mallchin wrote:

Cannot filter games by server options
Yeah, this sucks. The All-Seeing Eye is a third-party server browser (for many games, not just BF2) which I think allows you to filter for multiple things simultaneously. It's also blindingly fast compared to the one in BF2.

mallchin wrote:

I spend most of my time trying to find a successful map and playing a complete game, I would say the success rate so far is about 1/8, so for every 8 games I play only 1 works (I get to play a full game and am not switched to the loosing side throughout the duration of play). This is simply unacceptable.
Team switching is annoying as hell but if you're in a squad it'll help a bit not to be autoswitched when you die.

mallchin wrote:

When browsing for a server in the multiplayer menu I filter for servers that aren't empty, aren't full and don't have a password. This usually returns around 800 servers of which only the first 30 or 40 have a reasonable ping.
Well here I commonly have only four or five servers with pings reported in the double digits to pick from, once I filter for map size and name (with ranked, no password and populated ticked too). So this saves me the trouble of having to scroll the list, which is also suckily implemented... no mouse-wheel scroll and clicking in the scroll bar jumps down more than one page.

mallchin wrote:

The problem is further exacerbated through player mentality of the ranking system. No-one seems to want to finish on the loosing side, so players drop out of matches during gameplay if things aren't going their way.
Like they think this won't show as a loss on their stats!

mallchin wrote:

This means the loosing side invariably has lesser players, so new players joining the match are put on the loosing side, and on a similar note not-so-good/newer players are moved from the winning side to the loosing side too. Simply put, your only chances of ending up on the winning side are to play a match from the beginning and make sure you do well so your not likely to be switched over as the server seems to pick lower scorers to subsidise the loosing team.
Doesn't appear to make any difference how well you're doing. I'm usually the top scorer near the start or the game and have one of the higher scores during a game but I'll commonly get switched anyway. Pick one of the nubs with zero for chrissakes!!!

mallchin wrote:

The fact you can't filter for server that don't auto-level teams doesn't help either.
Agreed, but servers like this can be awfully stacked. I was in one once and there were nine or ten more players on USMC than MEC for virtually the entire match!
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6599|Florida
Mallchin, sometimes the ping will show at like 400+ for me, but if I click on it, the ping adjusts to the actual rate.  Occasionally servers I often play show really high pings but when I join, I end up getting like 40.  Might keep that in mind.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard