BVC
+325|6696
Okay first off, lets try and keep the thread clean.  No bashing of either the US or Mexico, no liberal commie/conservative redneck carry-on, whatever...lets make it a good, clean talk

Mexico and the United States fought what was basically a land war in the mid-1840s.  As I understand it, the US won and acquired California, New Mexico and some other bits of land in the process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-Mexico_War

What if Mexico had won?  How different do you think the world would be today?

Last edited by Pubic (2006-06-21 04:07:03)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

The world would be eating delicious healthy Burritos instead of shit in a tray McDonald's etc.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6562
Not very.  The US is powerful due to it's size and economy, and I don't think that Texas/California contributed greatly to either of these.  Having said that, my knowledge of US economic history isn't great, and I could well be wrong.
joewardog
+6|6691|Great Plains (USA)
It would depend on how victorious Mexico was.  The war started over a dispute between the boundaries of Texas and Mexico.  If Mexico won the right to move the boundary past the Rio, it will only postpone the growth of the US.

Basiclly the US will continue to grow, while Mexico was still in a state of political strife (Santa Anna over-threw his own government he established).  This would probably mean a delay on the US Civil War, as the US would start a military build up for the next excuse to go to war to Mexico.

Now if Mexico won by going all the way into the southern USA and maintain a certain political stability.  There is no doubt that Mexico would be the major power on the continent.  Until of course civil war would tear it apart.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
The economic expansion of the western US would have been substantially different.  The transcontinental railroads would have developed in different locations.  Therefore, the economic centers and many of the current and former railroad towns would not be where they are today. 

The US definitely would not have made the Gadson purchase!

Joewardog has it pretty accurate, IMO.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

if you would to look around now at the border you would guess that they did win, with as many of them on the US side with no english signs, no english speaking people, its almost like "North Mexico" has been established

Last edited by SEREMAKER (2006-06-22 13:55:07)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6632|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

Not very.  The US is powerful due to it's size and economy, and I don't think that Texas/California contributed greatly to either of these.  Having said that, my knowledge of US economic history isn't great, and I could well be wrong.
considering california alone is in fact considered the 6th largest economy in the world i think you are wrong!
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6656|United States of America

Pubic wrote:

The Mexicans wouldn't have to swim across a river before they jumped the fence to get into America.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
The nation would have weak property rights, rampant litter and poor civil engineering.
It would have crappy building codes and little zoning.
I could go on, and my wife is 1/2  Mexican so please  don't   call me a racsist.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6673|Colorado
This is serious talk, Mexico never had the army nor the resources to win, what if they did? It wouldn't have changed much except the Mexicans would have whites jumping the boarder to be in Cali, the gold rush would have been the end of the boarder, if the mexicans didn't have a 1337 army waiting.

The Indians didn't stop them, the Mexicans didn't stop them, nothing will. The white man is the single most aggressive race ever, watch out he watching you

Interesting post...
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

Pubic wrote:

Okay first off, lets try and keep the thread clean.  No bashing of either the US or Mexico, no liberal commie/conservative redneck carry-on, whatever...lets make it a good, clean talk

Mexico and the United States fought what was basically a land war in the mid-1840s.  As I understand it, the US won and acquired California, New Mexico and some other bits of land in the process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-Mexico_War

AY CARAMBA! Yo hablo espanol. Ay Dios MIO! Es imposible! AY! mi cojones! Ellos estan moreno! Madre! Porque? Porque? PORQUE?!?!?!?!?!!?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

TrollmeaT wrote:

This is serious talk, Mexico never had the army nor the resources to win, what if they did? It wouldn't have changed much except the Mexicans would have whites jumping the boarder to be in Cali, the gold rush would have been the end of the boarder, if the mexicans didn't have a 1337 army waiting.

The Indians didn't stop them, the Mexicans didn't stop them, nothing will. The white man is the single most aggressive race ever, watch out he watching you

Interesting post...
whoooooaaaa.. the white men got really freaking lucky by living in places with a lot of resources (in europe) vs the (colored) africans surrounded by sand... i truly doubt that skin color has much to do with it.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6701|MoVal So-Cal
It they would have won the war....the was was started bassically by American settlers moving into Mexican territory, the mexicans sent an army and the Americans were killed (Alamo) Americans sent an army and mexicans were killed...If mexico would have won then there would have been a second war with mexico. really though, i dont care because my white ass wants to give the dude that invented the taco and margarita a fuckin hug...those things are bitchen

Last edited by Pernicious544 (2006-06-22 23:00:23)

specops10-4
+108|6744|In the hills

JahManRed wrote:

The world would be eating delicious healthy Burritos instead of shit in a tray McDonald's etc.
Oh and burito's are SOO healthy!!  But anyways, there are too many possibilities, like what is "win" qualified as?  And there are just too many other possibilities.

P.S. If burritos were as popular as mcdonalds, we would have a worse global warming porblem cause all the methane released by all the bellies stuffed with combo burritos.
BVC
+325|6696

Superior Mind wrote:

AY CARAMBA! Yo hablo espanol. Ay Dios MIO! Es imposible! AY! mi cojones! Ellos estan moreno! Madre! Porque? Porque? PORQUE?!?!?!?!?!!?
I know very little spanish, and what I do know is not the sort of stuff you could say to your mother, I assure you!
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6656|United States of America

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

The nation would have weak property rights, rampant litter and poor civil engineering.
I could go on, and my wife is 1/2  Mexican so please  don't   call me a racsist.
So, that just proves you are 1/2 racist. 

And you forgot about being crappy drivers, at least from what I saw when I visited my relatives in Tecate.  And don't call me racist because my wife is 100% American, with 100% Norwegian Ancestorial Lineage.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command

Major_Spittle wrote:

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

So, that just proves you are 1/2 racist. 

And you forgot about being crappy drivers, at least from what I saw when I visited my relatives in Tecate.  And don't call me racist because my wife is 100% American, with 100% Norwegian Ancestorial Lineage.
Your right, it's always a grudge fuck because I'm racsist
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
wheres bubbalo and more examples of his flawed thinking

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-23 11:13:13)

rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6561
"Yo quiero Taco Bell"
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6669|Sydney, Australia
There wouldn't be hollywood.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6561

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

You cant base your idea on just a visit to TJ or another bc city. Go into the heart of the country and it is rich with culture and art. The cities are immaculate and have modern infrastructure. Visit Guadalajara and you'll see what I mean.
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6683|Stillwater, Ok
My gf is 100% mexican...and even she hates wetbacks.  There is a difference between a Mexican and a wetback.  Wetbacks are basically the niggers of the mexicans.   No im not racist but just like Whites have trailer trash, blacks have niggers, and mexicans have wetbacks.  Lazy and don't work for anything and expect everyone to help them.  These are her words exactly which left me stunned.  Both her parents came from mexico legally and couldnt speak any english.  Well they have a hard time speaking spanish at times now becuase they never use it anymore. 

But it seems all the illegals jumping the fence happen to be the wetbacks with a small % that actually try and make something of themselves.  The ones that do you can tell they dress nice, spend money wisely, and send kids to college usually.  THe other slam their trucks to an inch off the ground and go from an 17" alloy wheel to a 10" 100 spoked rim.  Cram it full of family in a brand new Ford F-150 and live in a house with 2-3 other families.  You think I'm bullshitting you on this go to the Panhandle in texas in the cattle towns.  Its horrible.

Last edited by 2ndLt.Tucker (2006-06-23 19:55:43)

tangoxmas44
Professional Noob
+4|6818|Temple,TX,USA

Bubbalo wrote:

California is the world's 3rd strongest economy,as of 2005.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6701|MoVal So-Cal

tangoxmas44 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

California is the world's 3rd strongest economy,as of 2005.
PWNED!!!
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Pernicious544 wrote:

It they would have won the war....the was was started bassically by American settlers moving into Mexican territory, the mexicans sent an army and the Americans were killed (Alamo) Americans sent an army and mexicans were killed...If mexico would have won then there would have been a second war with mexico. really though, i dont care because my white ass wants to give the dude that invented the taco and margarita a fuckin hug...those things are bitchen
youre talking about the war for Texas independence, not the mexican-american war. look up manifest destiny.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard