Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6666
This isnt a debate. More of a rant on my part or "serious" discussion.

Anyway though. I am a construction worker by trade. I know that is a very broad term but I am in the excavating end of the buisness. If I'm not driving a big offroad dump truck hauling dirt around the jobsite or something I get to help other crews out like laying pipe or doing any other odd jobs.

Well anyway to get to the point. If you drive a vehicle on the road, you people need to realize that construction workers diverting traffic or working near roads dont do it to irritate people. We do it because we have a job to do. Today I got to help out a crew that is putting sewer pipe in with a horizonal drilling machine. Well, the nature of this particular job creates alot of slippery mud that has a tendancy to pop up just about anywhere and cause problems. So we have to have a vaccume truck on the side of the road to keep this mud from getting out of hand while its coming up out of the ground, simply to keep people from having an accident. If we were not there chances are good that mud would boil up and out into the road and make it just like ice. And on a two lane state road with a 50mph speed limit this would not be very pretty. So anyway, my job today was to direct traffic around this vaccume truck taking up one lane. Well while I'm directing traffic, traffic starts to get out of hand by the time I have to make it stop to let the next batch go by, I managed to piss off a few people, my partner did too. Also this other asshole comes by and flipps me the bird and cusses at me, then goes down the road and does the same thing to the other guy directing traffic. Now honestly, this is all unneccesarry. I dont understand why people feel that they need to behave like this.

People only have one god damn thing on their mind and thats to get down the road as quickly as possible. Anything holding them up, weather its a man standing in the middle of the road risking his life to keep everybody else safe, or a slow moving piece of equipment that needs to go to another job or is working in the general area, is always a big problem and people always got to get pissed off and aggrivated over the inconvienance.....

Well, people need to learn to not think that way. We are out to do a job, that is all. We are not out there to ruin your day, purposly slow you down on getting to work, school, grandmas house, or some other place, or anything else.

Please next time your in a construction zone or nearby where there are flaggers directing traffic. SLOW DOWN, PAY ATTENTION, PREPARE TO STOP, AND OBEY THE PEOPlE IN THE ROAD. Our lives are in your hands. Trust me it benifits both of us.

Last edited by Drunken_Tankdriver (2006-06-20 18:06:33)

https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6543|Global Command
Dude, how dare you maintain our roads during working hours. Just kidding. He's right slow the hell down many caltrans workers are killed every year.
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6790
People, some are smart and have things under control (like yourself) and others (like him) who are total duches....thats life!

Tuff
KungfuBeer
The King of Beers
+31|6744|SoCal

Drunken_Tankdriver wrote:

People only have one god damn thing on their mind and thats to get down the road as quickly as possible.
That used to be the case before Cell phones, now everybody doesn't want to go anywhere, unless as in your situation, there is road construction.

Freaking idiots, when the road is clear, they take their time, but when its being worked on, they get pissed!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6695|Disaster Free Zone
hmmm nothing personal, Just council workers seem to go to work to have an 8 hour ciggy break.

But yeah being rude to anyone for just doing there job is uncalled for.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2006-06-20 18:22:21)

MorbidFetus
+76|6565|Ohio
My only complaint are the fucking rubberneckers. Ever notice when you get up to the accident site you're back up to speed but two miles before it you're doing 25 on the interstate? It's like goddamn bus lines. Why does it take so goddamn long to get off the bus? If everyone is walking at a constant speed (factor in a minimal slowdown for people getting up, going down the stairs, etc.) why does the line speed up to a normal pace once you are just about to get off?

*And fat people. I hate fucking fat people. They're always walking two or three abreast down the aisle of a store blocking those who just want to get in and get the hell out.

**Old people too. Why does every old bastard own a Ford pickup and drive like they hump?

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-06-20 21:53:10)

alpinestar
+304|6610|New York City baby.
I wish I had flashbang for every rubbernecker I see, I would have a blast
xixspyder
AnthraX
+25|6587
If a situation like that happens to me, I normally get over to the opposite side as far as I can. I do the same thing with cops. Oh and if there is a wreck please do not slow down to 35mph in a 55mph zone and stare at it. PLEASE I HATE THOSE PEOPLE.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6541|Portland, OR USA
Bob and Tom (radio hosts from here, syndicated nationally, but anyway) have a comedian with a joke about this ...

Comedian approaches man with "SLOW" sign in car and is stopped.
"Hey, tough work, eh 'slow guy'?"
"Hey, you're drivin' a Honda, that cost someone a job, you better shut up."
"You know, you could be replaced by a bucket of SAND!"

Now I don't say that with any disrespect regardless of how it may sound, just cracks me up.  That being said, I fully realize that the construction workers don't want to stop traffic any more than traffic wants to be farmuch a simple wave or other niceties can go.  So anyway, until we find something that doesn't crack after the first freeze, concrete will continue to suck.  So, here's to you, "SLOW" guy.  ;-)
Mackaronen
+18|6651|Uppland, Sweden
It´s the same here in Sweden, on road side constructions they put up 30km/h signs where there usually is 50km/h, but people do not give a damn.
I work as a welder and i often work at road sides, this is what happened do me today:
I was driving my Volvo to my little pit o´ mud where the pipe lies. My pace is exactly 30km/h, just like the sign says. But then another car comes up my rear and is going to overtake me. But a bit up the road my colleges are standing by the road side trying to unfold a hose, not easy when it looks more like a ball of yarn than a hose.

Not wanting the other driver to run them over or anything i carefully steers out in his way. That pissed him of bad so he honks at me and goes out in the oncoming lane, almost forcing a old lady out in the ditch. When he passes my friends, about 1 meter from them, he probably holds 90km/h.

What can be so important that you are willing to risk other peoples life to get there a couple of minutes earlier? Hell, next time i´m gonna force him of the road, kill him and use him as a filler in the pit.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6622|Sweden

Mackaronen wrote:

It´s the same here in Sweden, on road side constructions they put up 30km/h signs where there usually is 50km/h, but people do not give a damn.
I work as a welder and i often work at road sides, this is what happened do me today:
I was driving my Volvo to my little pit o´ mud where the pipe lies. My pace is exactly 30km/h, just like the sign says. But then another car comes up my rear and is going to overtake me. But a bit up the road my colleges are standing by the road side trying to unfold a hose, not easy when it looks more like a ball of yarn than a hose.

Not wanting the other driver to run them over or anything i carefully steers out in his way. That pissed him of bad so he honks at me and goes out in the oncoming lane, almost forcing a old lady out in the ditch. When he passes my friends, about 1 meter from them, he probably holds 90km/h.

What can be so important that you are willing to risk other peoples life to get there a couple of minutes earlier? Hell, next time i´m gonna force him of the road, kill him and use him as a filler in the pit.
heres what i think about this scenario

it is a very dangerous thing to do to play police as a civ. there are a hell of a lot of nutcases out there who would do what u said, ram it up at 90km/h without thinkin twice cuz they get upset.

In most cases i believe policing urself can only hurt more than it helps.

Myself, beeing a proffesional driver, i work for the postal office of sweden (not as a mailman tho) i always drive at the limit, ive seen to much crap and i know what speed does. also ive seen the police and i wudnt wanna get ticked

and to my point, ive seen alot of assholes on the roads. i do believe that more than half of the speedfreaks will just turn out doing double speed if someone irritates them.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6666

puckmercury wrote:

Bob and Tom (radio hosts from here, syndicated nationally, but anyway) have a comedian with a joke about this ...

Comedian approaches man with "SLOW" sign in car and is stopped.
"Hey, tough work, eh 'slow guy'?"
"Hey, you're drivin' a Honda, that cost someone a job, you better shut up."
"You know, you could be replaced by a bucket of SAND!"

Now I don't say that with any disrespect regardless of how it may sound, just cracks me up.  That being said, I fully realize that the construction workers don't want to stop traffic any more than traffic wants to be farmuch a simple wave or other niceties can go.  So anyway, until we find something that doesn't crack after the first freeze, concrete will continue to suck.  So, here's to you, "SLOW" guy.  ;-)
Small world, I live in the same town you do. The street I directed traffic on was SR267 between B-burg and Avon.
https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
Rosse_modest
+76|6790|Antwerp, Flanders
Never had any problems with road workers, I'm usually more aggravated by the traffic jams the road works cause than with the road work(er)s themselves. Never seen a road worker regulate traffic though, they're not authorized to do that here. What bothers me most are other drivers who are either a) extremely arrogant or b) extremely incompetent (I had to pay good money for driving lessons and exams to get my license but these fucks got one too? - I want my money back!!!) and cyclists who think they own the road and cry havoc whenever you displease them or an accident occurs which in most cases they are responsible for since they all seem to take great pride in not obeying traffic laws (which are there for their own fucking safety).
Mackaronen
+18|6651|Uppland, Sweden

xXSarnathXx wrote:

it is a very dangerous thing to do to play police as a civ. there are a hell of a lot of nutcases out there who would do what u said, ram it up at 90km/h without thinkin twice cuz they get upset.

Myself, beeing a proffesional driver, i work for the postal office of sweden (not as a mailman tho) i always drive at the limit, ive seen to much crap and i know what speed does. also ive seen the police and i wudnt wanna get ticked

and to my point, ive seen alot of assholes on the roads. i do believe that more than half of the speedfreaks will just turn out doing double speed if someone irritates them.
It´s not like i drive around trying to be the cop, but in this case i think it was justified. With the people on the road and all, otherwise i do not give a crap. Plus i had started to signal that i was going to turn. In my eyes he is a bastard that do not deserve to keep his license.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6622|Sweden

Mackaronen wrote:

xXSarnathXx wrote:

It´s not like i drive around trying to be the cop, but in this case i think it was justified. With the people on the road and all, otherwise i do not give a crap. Plus i had started to signal that i was going to turn. In my eyes he is a bastard that do not deserve to keep his license.
yeah, my intention was not to paint u up as a bad guy

yeah, he was the smuck, no doubt about it. my stuff was just general ranting ^^

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard