Poll

Is the middle east becoming the new Vietnam?

Yes41%41% - 47
No28%28% - 32
Don't know/Don't care6%6% - 7
Go fuck yourself24%24% - 28
Total: 114
alpinestar
+304|6594|New York City baby.
Would you allow police to search your home if you knew you don't have anything illegal ? And they do not have any evidence against you.
It is pride my friend and self respect, think for your self ,question authority. Then again CNN is a network that is.. well everyone knows about CNN.

Last edited by alpinestar (2006-06-20 21:45:36)

MorbidFetus
+76|6550|Ohio
Comparing Iraq to Vietnam is like comparing Bush (or anyone else for that matter) to Hitler. Fucking retarded. Iraq certainly has the potential to drag on for a long time but I doubt you'll see the U.S. death toll even hit 10,000 in the next four years. In Vietnam, U.S. forces had a heavy concentration of pothead draftees that didn't want to be there. From what I've seen/read/heard from vets (I haven't been to Iraq so I honestly don't know) the focus and discipline is generally high. Public opinion is may not be high for the reasons why we went to war, but the public actually suppoprts our troops. During the Vietnam war it was the cool hippy thing to piss on our returning GIs when they got off the plane. Vietnam battles were planned in the White House. In Iraq, it seems the military actually runs it's own war (Rumsfeld may think he's a McNamara, but he ain't no McNamara). The U.S.'s technology compared to Iraq's make Rosie O' Donell look like something you want to stick your cock into. The Vietnamese fought the Chinese for independence for 1000 years. They kicked out the Mongols and the French. Another 20 years fighting the U.S. was nothing to them. Iraq, shit..., Iraq was just been half-assed fighting itself for who knows how long. North Vietnam had a standing army and the Viet Cong. Iraq has a shitload of fanatical nutjobs who can't even aim a weapon straight. I don't know about you, but I'd be more afraid of a dedicated, indoctrinated force than a bunch of Muslims who just "graduated" from the hometown madras with nothing more than IED and jungle gym training.
x.:Shackleton:.x
Quick on the draw...
+33|6542|the land of plenty
Not unless it gets about a 36 month rainy season.

-Shack
MorbidFetus
+76|6550|Ohio

alpinestar wrote:

The "Downing Street memo" is a valid evidence against US for taking unlawful actions against IRAQ
Of course the information was falsified. I remember watching documentaries and news shows about the Neo-Cons' plans for toppling Iraq back in the late 90s. I remember Hans Blix saying that Iraq either destroyed all it's WMDs or destroyed the paperwork that proved it had destroyed their WMDs (I'm sure they shipped shit out to other countries though). I remember the "imminent threat" and the aluminum tubes  that "proved" Iraq had WMDs and intent to use them. I remember the White House claiming that they knew exactly where the WMD stocklpiles were.

I honestly cannot fathom how shocked people were when they were officially told that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and did not pose a WMD threat to the United States. We drove through Baghdad and nothing. This would have been the perfect time to use them. Why not? Did Hussein think that if he held off on a chemical attack that the U.S. would say "Oh, my bad, I guess you don't have WMD since you didn't use them when we invaded your capital. We'll just go home now like nothing ever happened." If Iraq had WMD after the U.N. inspector period, they surely inteded on using them to keep Iran in check, not the U.S.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

This is a reason why the left is so whacked. They dont look at the Whole (Big) Picture. +1
What the fuck are you on?  Many people on the left don't look war because it only ever solves anything in the short term.  Actual progress requires social change, not men with guns.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560
Yep.  He's Irish and, as any Pom will tell you, Irish are all either drunk or terrorists
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America
No, to the Vietnam part.
CameronPoe, no offence but you don't live here in the U.S. so how do you know what the public opinion to the war in Iraq is?  I hope it's not from the news and their crazy polls or from the people on these forums.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6539|vancouver

MorbidFetus wrote:

[...] (Rumsfeld may think he's a McNamara, but he ain't no McNamara). The U.S.'s technology compared to Iraq's make Rosie O' Donell look like something you want to stick your cock into. The Vietnamese fought the Chinese for independence for 1000 years. They kicked out the Mongols and the French. Another 20 years fighting the U.S. was nothing to them.
Oh man, have you all seen Fog of War?  McNamara is like 800 years old, but he sounds like he's 30!  Not bad for a guy who stared down the apocalypse, and oversaw the slaughter of millions in Southeast Asia.  All for a good cause, of course.    That movie is fucking awesome.  It should be compulsory viewing pretty much everywhere.  BTW, that sentence about Rosie O'Donnell actually made my dick fall off in self-defence, just as a precaution.  Thanks.
spastic bullet
+77|6539|vancouver

JG1567JG wrote:

No, to the Vietnam part.
CameronPoe, no offence but you don't live here in the U.S. so how do you know what the public opinion to the war in Iraq is?  I hope it's not from the news and their crazy polls or from the people on these forums.
God bless the www...
http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm
MorbidFetus
+76|6550|Ohio

spastic bullet wrote:

Oh man, have you all seen Fog of War?
Multiple times. Have you seen Rumsfeld's War?

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-06-21 01:04:30)

spastic bullet
+77|6539|vancouver

MorbidFetus wrote:

spastic bullet wrote:

Oh man, have you all seen Fog of War?
Multiple times. Have you seen Rumsfeld's War?
No I have not.  Thanks for the link!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

CameronPoe wrote:

Well is it? Similarities include the fact that the wars there were arguably needless in the first place (certainly in the case of Iraq anyway) and the fact that US public opinion is turning against military action there. Discuss...
In response to various ill-thought-through responses and karma negs I'd like people to note that nowhere in my original post do I suggest that I myself believe the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan to be 'the modern Vietnam'. I propose a theory and leave it open for discussion. The story of Iraq-Vietnam similarities is currently doing the rounds in European media, hence the reason I posted the topic.

PS I prefer the term 'Freedom Fighter' to 'Terrorist' please.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

CameronPoe wrote:

Freedom fighter is a matter of perspective, terrorist isn't.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

Bubbalo wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Freedom fighter is a matter of perspective, terrorist isn't.
I'm aware of that. I was jokingly referring to the references made about me looking like a 'terrorist'.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-21 01:31:04)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm aware of that. I was jokingly referring to the references made about me looking like a 'terrorist'.
Ah, I see.  Cows go moo.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-06-21 02:48:37)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

Bubbalo wrote:

Yep.  He's Irish and, as any Pom will tell you, Irish are all either drunk or terrorists
STFU you generalizing asshole.
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6684|Hell's prison

Minnesoter wrote:

You look like a terrorist.  I refuse to discuss this with you.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

Ok sorry B for the mistake. 
Cameron BTW you look alot like me. I'm a ginger too, but taller I think. Suppose i look like a terrorist too then.
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America

spastic bullet wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

No, to the Vietnam part.
God bless the www...
You dont live in the U.S. either so how can you know what public opinion on the war on Iraq is?

The link you showed was from a University and some news channel. I dont believe any polls I see on tv or in newspapers.  What I believe is what people tell me when I talk to them about Iraq.

Edit--I may have to take back what I said about Iraq not being like vietnam. A "Fair & Balanced" news channel just pointed out one thing that is very similar.  In vietnam there was way too many restrictions on our soldiers and the military. i.e certain cities off limits to bombing untill the end of the war, soldiers not being allowed to engage the enemy when they crossed International borders like cambodia.  In Iraq these restrictions, though different, are in place also. 

There should be martial law in Certain areas of Iraq with a curfew at night.  The soldiers should be allowed to shoot first and sort it out later during the curfew hours.  Just my opinion on how to squash the insurgency.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-06-21 03:15:38)

spastic bullet
+77|6539|vancouver

JG1567JG wrote:

spastic bullet wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

No, to the Vietnam part.
God bless the www...
You dont live in the U.S. either so how can you know what public opinion on the war on Iraq is?

The link you showed was from a University and some news channel. I dont believe any polls I see on tv or in newspapers.  What I believe is what people tell me when I talk to them about Iraq.

Edit--I may have to take back what I said about Iraq not being like vietnam. A "Fair & Balanced" news channel just pointed out one thing that is very similar.  In vietnam there was way too many restrictions on our soldiers and the military. i.e certain cities off limits to bombing untill the end of the war, soldiers not being allowed to engage the enemy when they crossed International borders like cambodia.  In Iraq these restrictions, though different, are in place also. 

There should be martial law in Certain areas of Iraq with a curfew at night.  The soldiers should be allowed to shoot first and sort it out later during the curfew hours.  Just my opinion on how to squash the insurgency.
You do realize how many people live in the US, right?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560
You're right.  I mean, you waited for the Afghanistan government to be good before you left, and look at how well they're doing.  Tribal warlordism, a resurgence in Al Qaeda, and the drug trade now characterise the country, whilst nations who assisted with the war are now redeploying troops.  Go team!
alpinestar
+304|6594|New York City baby.
to idiot who left a notice in my karma, I don't care about Karma read under my fucking sig moron. And america didn't win cold war fuck head it is you who should read the history books.
MorbidFetus
+76|6550|Ohio
One of the main goals of the Cold War was to spend the Soviet Union into collapse. It worked.

Last edited by MorbidFetus (2006-06-21 12:11:50)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835
Iraq a Vietnam ? not even close, Note: if jewish people lived in Vietnam We would have won it. People don't care about Asians or Arabs as much.

Reagan's ( out spend them because the cant develop technology as fast or as easy ) was one of many great strategies that he had. He was the only leader ( US or other ) with the balls to stand them down. Now that we have all their sensitive Files. We know they really were an Evil Empire. The USSR was scum, TY Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-06-21 12:42:33)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6525|Portland, OR USA

alpinestar wrote:

to idiot who left a notice in my karma, I don't care about Karma read under my fucking sig moron. And america didn't win cold war fuck head it is you who should read the history books.
By definition, we kinda did.  The opposition crumbled in on itself.  Not to go on a "Yay us" rant by any means, but that is the reality.  Whether they self destructed or we undermined them is something to file away with, "Did the British sink the Bismark, or did the Germans scuttle it?"  Ultimately the cost of winning may end up being outside the scope of its worth.  While I don't believe the middle east has reached Vietnam status, I do think it is rapidly on its way.  We have a loosely defined reason for being there, yet don't seem to be fully committed to accomplishing whatever that is as it has not been clearly defined.  Furthermore, public opinion back home is rapidly moving against them.  I say this as a generalization and not as personal opinion.  I will always appreciate and support my troops in whatever venture they embark upon regardless of my opinions with respect to WHY they are there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard