Should we require an IQ test to breed??

Absolutely!56%56% - 116
No way, free love, man ...35%35% - 74
What's an IQ test?7%7% - 16
Total: 206
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6533|Portland, OR USA
Question really says it all.  It's something I've thought for a while, even made it into Starship Troopers (you know, that coed shower scene ... but I digress)

So yeah, welcome to our gene ool.  You'll notice there's no "P" in it, please keep it that way.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6639|USA

puckmercury wrote:

So yeah, welcome to our gene ool.  You'll notice there's no "P" in it, please keep it that way.
i sorta agree and that line.....made me think then laugh...i like it. put it in yo SIG
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Naughty_Om wrote:

puckmercury wrote:

i sorta agree and that line.....made me think then laugh...i like it. put it in yo SIG
Heheh, I like your thinking - +1
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6751|Houston, TX
Gotta disagree here.  I vote 'no' because I believe prerequisites for reproduction sounds too much like trying to make a better race. We have to take the bad with the good, stupid with the smart, etc... 

This topic has a bazillion branching topics that spawn in my thoughts as I'm typing this.  Aryan races, Genetic research, moral ethics in cloning....

Interesting... 

Replies? Thoughts?

KJ

As a follow up line to the gene 'ool,  if I only had a nickel everytime I've wanted to shout:

*Loud whistle*  "You, yeah you, in the shallow end of the gene pool, GET OUT!"
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6687|Dayton, Ohio
Not an IQ test, too many smart mpeople have no common sense.  Lets do a common sense test or both.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6639|USA
also, the IQ test has been thrown out. there are better tests now.....just mor expensive GO TAXPAYERS!
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Kung Jew wrote:

Gotta disagree here.  I vote 'no' because I believe prerequisites for reproduction sounds too much like trying to make a better race. We have to take the bad with the good, stupid with the smart, etc... 

This topic has a bazillion branching topics that spawn in my thoughts as I'm typing this.  Aryan races, Genetic research, moral ethics in cloning....

Interesting... 

Replies? Thoughts?

KJ
And see I thought about that before I posted it and almost put in a disclaimer that I wasn't trying to be Hitler-esque, but didn't want to open the debate here that was raging the in offensive names thread.  Given your handle, you seem at a particular disposition to be sensitive obviously.  I guess I certainly understand that POV, but I just see stupider people doing more asinine things at higher levels of control than should be happening.  Because it ultimately is true that more intelligent people have fewer kids.  I just struggle with watching such a trend.  Please understand I mean no racial connotations in this.

KnowMeByTrailOfDead wrote:

Not an IQ test, too many smart mpeople have no common sense.  Lets do a common sense test or both.
Yeah, if you can test that - you get a Nobel Prize.  Reminds me of the Farside "Midvale School for the Gifted" cartoon with the kid trying to push on the pull door ...

Ignorance I can solve, stupidity I can only ignore.

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-06-19 08:21:34)

aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6798

Kung Jew wrote:

That's just it, there's too many bad, stupid, evil, etc. people in the gene pool at the moment.  The planet is over populated (generally by old people who cost more to keep than not) and something needs to be done about it.  While rounding up all the people over 65 (or whatever the pension age is in your country) and bombing them would be distasteful to many, I think it's the way forward.

Either that or remove some people from the gene pool.  I'd vote for criminals - if you get sent to prison, you get your knackers chopped off - rather than having an IQ test.
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6739|Oslo, Norway
i get your thinking but i get to reminded by nazi germany (i do not mean to offend anyone by saying that!)
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

aardfrith wrote:

While rounding up all the people over 65 (or whatever the pension age is in your country) and bombing them would be distasteful to many, I think it's the way forward.
Didn't they do that movie already?  Logan's Run I think ... ;-)

I totally agree something needs to be done.  Ultimately something as arbitrary as an IQ test probably isn't the answer, but just seemed as a good doorway to open the floor.  However, I'm not really addressing the tax on society by elders here, more the entrance into society by the galactically stupid.

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-06-19 08:30:31)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6639|USA

puckmercury wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

While rounding up all the people over 65 (or whatever the pension age is in your country) and bombing them would be distasteful to many, I think it's the way forward.
Didn't they do that movie already?  Logan's Run I think ... ;-)
in the movie soylent green. anyone who is about to die, or over the age of 80 was turned into food in order to feed the overpopulated cities.......
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6687|Dayton, Ohio
The reason I say common sense is that this has to be instilled into the next generation early in life.  It is more a way of thinking and any real knowledge and it seems to be that it is not something you can teach an adult.  Unfortunatly it is something that is passed on generation to generation.  I see it is subsections of my own family.  My father did a great job teaching common sense but his brother did not.  My father has 6 kids all going through college and working to achieve something, my uncle has 4 that can't seem to get on their feet at all.  It is all about the process of decision making.  "You are standing in the hallway and the room adjacent to you is on fire, the door is closed.  Do you open the door?"  Thought proccess, is anyone else in the house, do I have something to use to grab the door knob ot keep from burning myself, did I call 911 yet?  All questions you would hope one would consider before opening the door but not all things considered in the heat of the moment (no pun intended).
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6659

aardfrith wrote:

That's much more humane than my solution of avoiding world wars (and the subsequent baby boom) which leads to a large population all retiring at the same time 50 years later. 
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

That's much more humane than my solution of avoiding world wars (and the subsequent baby boom) which leads to a large population all retiring at the same time 50 years later. 
Wait, why does a world war always equate to a baby boom.  Ooooh, you're talking about the "sex" aren't you ... /amused
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6659

The reason I say common sense is that this has to be instilled into the next generation early in life.  It is more a way of thinking and any real knowledge and it seems to be that it is not something you can teach an adult.  Unfortunatly it is something that is passed on generation to generation.  I see it is subsections of my own family.  My father did a great job teaching common sense but his brother did not.  My father has 6 kids all going through college and working to achieve something, my uncle has 4 that can't seem to get on their feet at all.  It is all about the process of decision making.  "You are standing in the hallway and the room adjacent to you is on fire, the door is closed.  Do you open the door?"  Thought proccess, is anyone else in the house, do I have something to use to grab the door knob ot keep from burning myself, did I call 911 yet?  All questions you would hope one would consider before opening the door but not all things considered in the heat of the moment (no pun intended).
Surely common sense would precede the entire scenario: 'should I leave this pan of chip fat on the heat and close the door while I play battlefield?'
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6659

puckmercury wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Wait, why does a world war always equate to a baby boom.  Ooooh, you're talking about the "sex" aren't you ... /amused
Something like that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-World … _baby_boom
CameronPoe
+2,925|6561

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Surely common sense would precede the entire scenario: 'should I leave this pan of chip fat on the heat and close the door while I play battlefield?'
I think we can dispense with the IQ tests and allow nature to decide who is 'fit' to procreate. IQ is not hereditary anyhow and only consitutes one particular type of intelligence, of which there are several.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

CameronPoe wrote:

I think we can dispense with the IQ tests and allow nature to decide who is 'fit' to procreate. IQ is not hereditary anyhow and only consitutes one particular type of intelligence, of which there are several.
I was using IQ test in more of a generic way than the actual recognized IQ test I suppose.  However, intelligence absolutely is hereditary, make no mistake.  As with any trait they can come up on their own accord, or don't appear when they should.  There are no real concrete rules in genetics, mutations are always possible.

As for nature doing an adequate job of deciding who is "fit" to procreate, its apparent failure in that area is the genesis of this thread of conversation.  Who or what IS fit to decide is somewhat the topic of debate.

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-06-19 08:42:34)

KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6687|Dayton, Ohio
I had a wonderfull class in college that i wish they would teach eariler in school, Logic.  The prof taught how to argue, but in doing this he taught how to analyze a situation and how to see points of view.  He was practically teaching common sense to a bunch of college students.  The book was simple and full of commic strips that illustrated the ideas so that even a young child could understand.  You left the lecture hall not even realizing that you had learned something.

Well at least we always have the Darwin Awards.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6687|Dayton, Ohio

CameronPoe wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

It could be argued that Nature is what causes the problems to begin with.  Nature drives young kids to want to have sex, not to procreate, but it does happen.  14 or 15 year old gets knocked up not yet prepared to raise a child, child has to be very lucky to get a good education along the way, grandparents or someone capable steps into guide the growth of the child.  If no one is there to pick up the pieces then nature has failed us again and we have another well fare case.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6715|Wilmington, DE, US
IQ scores are bullshit
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6751|Houston, TX

puckmercury wrote:

And see I thought about that before I posted it and almost put in a disclaimer that I wasn't trying to be Hitler-esque, but didn't want to open the debate here that was raging the in offensive names thread.  Given your handle, you seem at a particular disposition to be sensitive obviously.  I guess I certainly understand that POV, but I just see stupider people doing more asinine things at higher levels of control than should be happening.  Because it ultimately is true that more intelligent people have fewer kids.  I just struggle with watching such a trend.  Please understand I mean no racial connotations in this.

Yeah, if you can test that - you get a Nobel Prize.  Reminds me of the Farside "Midvale School for the Gifted" cartoon with the kid trying to push on the pull door ...

Ignorance I can solve, stupidity I can only ignore.
Offense - none given, none taken.  

I'm alot less sensitive than people believe, but the reply was appropriate and nice to see, thank you.
As for the stupid people doing stupid things, I really agree with that.  It saddens me to see humanity come to a resting plateau, instead of aspiring to do better for itself.  It shouldn't fall upon those who are both blessed with intelligence and willing to make themselves better, to carry the burden of the rest of the world. 

concerning the Far Side - great stuff

KJ
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6847|Missoula, MT
LOL...funny poll. 
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722
wtf has it gotta do w/ reproduction? its not like their children are gonna be retarded (unless they marry w/ family members that is...) Look at einstein, smartest man in the world and he couldnt make a cup of cofffee.  he couldnt do daily things since he was always thinking about physics and science all the time.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6687|Dayton, Ohio

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

wtf has it gotta do w/ reproduction? its not like their children are gonna be retarded (unless they marry w/ family members that is...) Look at einstein, smartest man in the world and he couldnt make a cup of cofffee.  he couldnt do daily things since he was always thinking about physics and science all the time.
Not saying that we should restrict breeding, becaus I did not vote, But think of it this way.  Nature and Nurture.  Yes idiots can have very inteligent children, however, becuase the parents are lacking the child had a higher chance of not achieving their potential and is more likely to endup being a leach.  Take the constant arguement that if you are poor your children will be stuck in the same cycle.  It is not the childs fault.  It is the parents fault for giving up hope and letting the cycle continue.  Yes there are alot of success stories about people rsing up from the ashes but there are twice as many stories about feel sorry for me because......  The only way to raise the standard of living is to raise the expectation of everyone and try to find a way to motivate people to stick to it.  Maybe a minimum income level, or some other restriction that forces people to prove they are ready to have children and that they have the determination to raise them properly. 

This would be an intrusion on peoples right and there for should not happen, but it is an idea that make you think.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard