CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
Given all of the criticism of US foreign policy in this forum in recent times I think we need a new discussion. I invite everyone from outside the US to submit what elements of US society and culture they like and admire, in an effort to show that we non-US citizens are not anti-American, just anti-US warmongering/neoconservatism.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-13 06:39:45)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

They have an awesome country. Nice food. People are friendly too.

Ummm... That sort of covers all the main things of any country.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
For me the main thing is that the country is so diverse - from San Fran, LA & Vegas to Chicago, New York, New Orleans & Miami there are a million amazing things to see and do, all packed into one (albeit vast) country. The open road aspect of America is really something.

The majority of American people I've met have been hospitable and friendly, especially in Chicago and New York, which surprised me given how big these cities are and the reputation New Yorkers have.

The architecture in Chicago is the finest modern architecture I have ever witnessed.

Some of the great scholars and minds the country has produced have benefited not just Americans but all citizens of the world.

In terms of their military endeavours I have to express admiration for the resilience of the US troops in the nightmare that was the battle for pacific islands during WWII, a very just war, on which the future of free thought hinged. There was also no real need for the US to engage in WWI, a war against imperialism, and hence a just war, and they must be thanked for that. Unfortunately though - if they hadn't intevened Ireland might have been a 32 county republic and not a 26 county one!! D'oh! Oh well - Our Day Will Come: Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Also, some of the more independent, non-Hollywood movies released in the US are up there with the best of European cinema.

Although I am a big fan of the fact Europe's many language preserve our cultural identities it is nice to travel anywhere in the US with only problem being that someone might not understand your accent.

Music: America has given us Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, The Doors, The Pixies, Nine Inch Nails, Talking Heads and more besides (still prefer my Pink Floyd/Smiths/Radiohead/Aphex Twin/U2/Led Zeppelin however!).

The fact the euro is stronger than the dollar right now means that shopping in the US (and online) is so much cheaper.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-13 07:35:20)

syndicat111
+39|6671|UK
yeh they r real friendly (in general ) and i like the theme parks 
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6584|Scarborough Yorkshire England
I like the country's, scenery, different landscapes etc. (damn I wish we won your war of independance j/k). some of the food is amazing, other food not sure on. All the Americans I've met have been really cool people, I think hollywood has painted a bad picture of Americans especially non whites.  I love the over the top way of american life, everything is big and loud and proud.
Would love to have a camper van and just tour round USA seeing the county and meeting the people.
And most Americans seem to love us Brits.
Snakestyles
+17|6730|South Africa
All the non-commercial music film and art.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
i like the people and the military tech.
=SAS=Teardrop
+0|6623
i always like the optimisme they have, they really have a positive drive to achieve things
[PED] soul76
hand me the gun and ask me again
+18|6525|Mülheim a.d.R. | Germany
same as all the others, everyone i met was friendly, interested and generally nice.
washington state got the coolest landscapes & nicest towns ever, would be my place of choice if i had to move somewhere. 
i can´t say anything negative about the places i´ve been, seattle, tacoma, la, sf and some smaller ones, people were always cool. an old guy at a yard sale even apologized for bombing my town back in WW" - i was at a loss of words. i was told that the bible belt is another story entirely, though, but i guess thats just regionalism.

also there´s mac & cheese, donut shops with 50+ selections and nice old school muscle cars.
Jepeto87
+38|6677|Dublin
The diversity there's so much to see in America, and the food was great when I was there! And everythings much cheaper than over here!
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

I lived in the Mission in San Fran for awhile. 20 000 or so Irish live amongst a million Mexican/Americans. I loved the fact that I felt like I was living in Mexico, street signs in Spanish etc. Bespoke Mexican architecture and colors. Then a 5min tram ride down town and you are into the sky scrapers.
I am involved in organizing and promoting parties, raves festivals and thats what took me to the states the three times I have been, to put on a party!! What I liked the most about the American culture. If you want to do something dangerous and aren't in danger of harming others, then go right ahead. Some of the shit we had on at the parties in the states wouldn't be allowed over here. You want 100ft high flame throwers guys with 10000volts coming out of their heads.......go right ahead, just make sure you print on the tickets that their is a chance you could get killed at this event and you are covered. We are bogged down in Health and Safety Bullshit over here.
Ive been to New York and was shocked, given the reputation, of how friendly New Yorkers are. We arrived and couldn't find our contact and therefore place to stay. A random guy in a bar took us in, feed us and let us sleep on his floor. I think it helped he was from Irish descendent's.
All in all I like the diversity of culture and different ways of life. I think the individual state laws have helped retain the feeling of little countries inside one big country.
Ohhh and I can buy clothes that actually fit someone my height and build!!!! For me to walk into a shop and pick a pair of diving flippers and say can I have them in UK14s plz without the assistant falling over laughing with the usual, "what do you need flippers with feat that size joke" was pleasant.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6533|vancouver
This is just off the top of my head -- there's no way I could do this topic justice unless I devoted a whole day to it, which is not gonna happen.

Too many good bands to mention.  Many excellent filmmakers, writers, etc.  Some of the funniest comedians that ever lived and/or are working today.  Some decent TV shows, before they inevitably get cancelled for not appealing to a large enough number of people.  Exemplary service in the field of interactive entertainment and related technologies!

A widespread genuine commitment to what I consider worthwhile ideas and values, that tends to survive seemingly endless unscrupulous attempts to hijack the names of those ideas and values.

An unusually open system in terms of government documents and records that make it possible to see the thinking behind policy.  It's too time-consuming to be feasible for most people, but at least the data is available.

The considerable historical contributions of its citizens to the fight against global fascism, particularly in WWII.

Finally, extremely friendly and generous people (those I have met, at least), with a predominant if not quite universal ability to see the funny side of many things, including themselves.

There are probably many more things that didn't spring to mind while I was writing this, and not necessarily because I consider them minor or negligible.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6543|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

spastic bullet wrote:

The considerable historical contributions of its citizens to the fight against global fascism, particularly in WWII.
America entering the war because of fascism? LOL, they were still persecuting black people until the '60s so I don't think the US could have used that as the reason to going to war.......
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
Of the people I have met that aren't from the U.S., it always seems to be the same no matter where they come from.  The Non-U.S. people usually like Americans in general , but the chief negativity comes from disagreement in foreign policy.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6570|Florida
As an American, Its nice to hear some of the things that foreigners have to say, and see that not everyone thinks Americans are arrogant pricks who think we are the coolest people on the planet and everyone else is worthless.  Dont get me wrong, some people are that way.  But like I said, its nice to see that most people like our country and people in general, although they may not agree with some of the things our government does.  I would really like to visit the UK, Australia, and France/Germany sometime.  Ive not even been to Canada lol.  I could just drive up there, since its like 7 hours away or so....but I dont have the $ to pay for it.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

Wow, this is the first thread I've seen i a while that doesn't piss me off LOL!!

I'm a big outdoorsman, and I love America for it's beautiful land. Did you know that we are the only country in the world that has all 5 climates? Deserts, Rainforests, etc..
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
bigp66
+63|6540|memphfrica-memphis,TN

CameronPoe wrote:

Given all of the criticism of US foreign policy in this forum in recent times I think we need a new discussion. I invite everyone from outside the US to submit what elements of US society and culture they like and admire, in an effort to show that we non-US citizens are not anti-American, just anti-US warmongering/neoconservatism.
CameronPoe everyhtime I see you you are always posting only..almost only n debate and serious talk so i guessing you love debate right?...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

bigp66 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

CameronPoe everyhtime I see you you are always posting only..almost only n debate and serious talk so i guessing you love debate right?...
Pretty much. I've never used chatrooms before so this a novelty to me. I have to admit it's quite addictive.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-14 16:48:26)

bigp66

CameronPoe wrote:

YOU people can't experiance the United States without barbeque pork barbeque that is...So go to Memphis Tennessee because in Memphis where I live Im blessed to live in the home of the best pork barbeque in the world.
j5f5ff
+11|6742

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

As an American, Its nice to hear some of the things that foreigners have to say, and see that not everyone thinks Americans are arrogant pricks who think we are the coolest people on the planet and everyone else is worthless.  Dont get me wrong, some people are that way.  But like I said, its nice to see that most people like our country and people in general, although they may not agree with some of the things our government does.
same here
bigp66

CameronPoe wrote:

bigp66 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Pretty much. I never got involved in chatroom stuff before so this is all a novelty to me. I have to admit it's quite addictive - hopefully it won't get in the way of my work too much!
Sometimes i don't agree with you but dam your a good "debater"
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6533|vancouver

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

spastic bullet wrote:

America entering the war because of fascism? LOL, they were still persecuting black people until the '60s so I don't think the US could have used that as the reason to going to war.......
Please learn to read.  The reasons for the US leadership entering the war are not relevant to my assertion.

I am aware of the apparent hypocrisy you point out, but that does not change the fact that many Americans fought and died fighting fascist regimes which did in fact have potentially global reach and influence.  I appreciate their sacrifice, regardless of their leaders' failings in other areas.

Perhaps you feel that Winston Churchill's advocacy of poison gas attacks on "uncivilised tribes" to "spread a lively terror" somehow undercuts the sacrifices made by British soldiers?
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6690

I just live here.
bigp66
lets get back on topic now what do you all think of the best barbeque in teh world which is from memphis

and it is true... a bunch of old black women and men who have cooked it thier whole life useing the best cedar wood slowly cooked in a pit for 12 hours ooo man it is good you should try the famous  Corkys the rondavoo ( dont no how to spell it) interstate barbeque and teh Germantown commisarry
Arkanon
+3|6687|London, UK
I like the fact that a guy at a pedestrian crossing can just start talking at you about something, then walk off happy to never see you again. Casual conversation is quite refreshing. In London, if someone starts talking to you uninvited, they're either an American tourist, or a fucking nutcase. So people in London do not talk to each other.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard