Poll

Do you think that US Soldiers like killing people, seriously?

Yes29%29% - 102
No51%51% - 179
I don't know11%11% - 39
Do not wish to comment8%8% - 28
Total: 348
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604
Yes, they do have (IMHO) a very good chance of winning the Iraq War atm.  But then, they're currently using terrorist tactics.  If they stopped, they'd fact serious issues, not least because they'd have to make sure their bombs only killed soldiers and the like, and didn't harm civilians.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6582|The Lost Highway

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

this debate with you cant be won then, because its not a debate.
That's odd, because Bubbalo and I seem to make some good points to each other. If that's not debating, it must be idle chit chat. Or both.

Last edited by mKmalfunction (2006-06-14 05:55:34)

mKmalfunction

Bubbalo wrote:

Yes, they do have (IMHO) a very good chance of winning the Iraq War atm.  But then, they're currently using terrorist tactics.  If they stopped, they'd fact serious issues, not least because they'd have to make sure their bombs only killed soldiers and the like, and didn't harm civilians.
Yeah, but they could defiantly do less to kill civilians. They target 'em. Gettin' them and the enemy at the same time is one thing, but targeting civilians alone is another.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604
I know, but what I'm saying is that if they stop attacking civilians their chances drop drastically.

Neway, I'm off to bed, be back tomorrow (hopefull at school, think I've found a way past the firewall ).  Cya.
mKmalfunction
Night.

Nice convo.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6744|New York

mKmalfunction wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

I think the poll should have been, "Do extremist Muslims Enjoy Killing people" Then it would be a good poll. Our soldiers Kill during war, and while Fighting for people who dont have the means to fight for themselves.
The muslim extremists are at war, so far as they're concerned.  As far as fighting for people who don't have the means to fight for themselves goes, I fell I should refer you to Iran, where the US supported an unpopular Totalitarian regime, and Vietnam, where the US could have had public support if the fuckwits in charge hadn't propped up a corrupt government.  But then, you'll probably just explain those away, along with any other examples I bring.  After all, America can do no wrong

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

The extremists Kill for the sake of killing and the warped belief in a religon that is suppose to be peaceful.
Here's a hint: get at least a basic understanding of their grievances before you start saying why they kill.  Historically, the earliest muslim terrorist groups were made in the Palestinian refugee camps.  Al Qaeda was funded and trained by America to fight the Russians in Afghanistan, then turned to the US when the USSR collapsed.  Perhaps that tells you something about how America appears to the Middle East.

mKmalfunction wrote:

Last I checked, that hadn't been proven yet. And if it did happen, they had an equal chance of being killed by the Insurgence.
It's pretty obvious that they were.  The remaining question is in what manner they were killed, and what, if anything, the soldiers did wrong.  Besides, call me crazy, but I think if the public has an equal chance of being killed by the insurgents and their "defenders", something's going wrong.
The way I look at it is, shit happens. Civilian casualities are never a good thing, but it happens in war. Look at what we did to Dresdin in WWII. A cultural center bombed during a parade.

It's funny how people can defend those fuckers over there, when the same ones they defend are more than willing to remove their head for 'em.
IDIOT, They have NO reguard for WHO they are killing. I think YOU need to understand. They target ANYONE no matter race or religon. Get a clue before giving me Neg Karma Shithead.  I wont Give ya neg karma like you did me, because i feel sorry for you.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6880

Spearhead wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

I think your on drugs.  Honestly, your delusions and Bugs Bunny style of representing politics are pathetic
What an argument! The Geometric logic, your verbal gymnastics astound us, one and all.
Sorry, I just don't feel like wasting another 10 minutes just to have you ignore facts and post what you think is reality.  Sue me
If you say it, its a Fact If. I say it it isn't. good line of reasoning here.

The post wasn't even aimed at you, What brought you running ?
mKmalfunction

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

I think the poll should have been, "Do extremist Muslims Enjoy Killing people" Then it would be a good poll. Our soldiers Kill during war, and while Fighting for people who dont have the means to fight for themselves.
The muslim extremists are at war, so far as they're concerned.  As far as fighting for people who don't have the means to fight for themselves goes, I fell I should refer you to Iran, where the US supported an unpopular Totalitarian regime, and Vietnam, where the US could have had public support if the fuckwits in charge hadn't propped up a corrupt government.  But then, you'll probably just explain those away, along with any other examples I bring.  After all, America can do no wrong

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

The extremists Kill for the sake of killing and the warped belief in a religon that is suppose to be peaceful.
Here's a hint: get at least a basic understanding of their grievances before you start saying why they kill.  Historically, the earliest muslim terrorist groups were made in the Palestinian refugee camps.  Al Qaeda was funded and trained by America to fight the Russians in Afghanistan, then turned to the US when the USSR collapsed.  Perhaps that tells you something about how America appears to the Middle East.

It's pretty obvious that they were.  The remaining question is in what manner they were killed, and what, if anything, the soldiers did wrong.  Besides, call me crazy, but I think if the public has an equal chance of being killed by the insurgents and their "defenders", something's going wrong.
The way I look at it is, shit happens. Civilian casualities are never a good thing, but it happens in war. Look at what we did to Dresdin in WWII. A cultural center bombed during a parade.

It's funny how people can defend those fuckers over there, when the same ones they defend are more than willing to remove their head for 'em.
IDIOT, They have NO reguard for WHO they are killing. I think YOU need to understand. They target ANYONE no matter race or religon. Get a clue before giving me Neg Karma Shithead.  I wont Give ya neg karma like you did me, because i feel sorry for you.
I didn't -1 you. But feel free to -1 me. Forum karma is useless.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6696
If genuine, this might easily be interpreted in a bad light:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 6450546087

Top brass appear to disapprove anyway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5077858.stm

Of course, it's not known if it's genuine or not yet.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6694|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

You mean there?

Regardless, my point is that as a US soldier, he only sees it from a US soldiers point of view.  Newsflash for you, btw, where do you think the media get their reports?  Do you think they just magically appear out of thin air?  No, they are made by reporters.  Reporters that are, y'know, in Iraq.  I think that the attempt to cover up Haditha tells us a lot about the typical US military view.
Another news flash....Soldiers don't care about ratings and as such have no bias. and thanks for correcting my grammar.

Not to mention that those reporters are there in hopes of something, anything will happen that will be news worthy.

Last edited by lowing (2006-06-14 15:53:29)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604

lowing wrote:

thanks for correcting my grammar.
np, just return the favour next time I screw up

lowing wrote:

Another news flash....Soldiers don't care about ratings and as such have no bias. and thanks for correcting my grammar.
Sure, but he's not likely to believe he's doing the wrong thing is he?  In fact, if he does, his commanders are doing something wrong.

lowing wrote:

Not to mention that those reporters are there in hopes of something, anything will happen that will be news worthy.
The state of affairs is pretty newsworthy, at least in Aus.  Maybe the rest of the world only cares about gunfights, I dunno.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6744|New York
No we dont Like to hear about gunfights, But rest assured you wont hear any possative news out of Iraq unless you can find an unbias or non left reporter. I have MANY letters from Friends serving there that are possative and Show Why we need to be there and why we needed to go there. When it comes straight from the horses mouth, its kind of hard to ignore the facts that the news WONT report.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6694|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

thanks for correcting my grammar.
np, just return the favour next time I screw up

lowing wrote:

Sure, but he's not likely to believe he's doing the wrong thing is he?  In fact, if he does, his commanders are doing something wrong.

lowing wrote:

The state of affairs is pretty newsworthy, at least in Aus.  Maybe the rest of the world only cares about gunfights, I dunno.
Well what I meant by news worthy is, The reporters are hoping for the next terrible thing to happen.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604
There's plenty of right bias news in Aus, and yet I don't get that much good news.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6880
in general wars are bad news even on a good day, most people seem to be aware of this.

Try comparing this war to any other in terms of length, cost, casualties, commitment, logistic, etc. the tangible things.
Bravo39
+0|6568
One day when I'm 18 i'll do my duty for my country ( Sweden )... And i'll do it gladly. You have to fight for what you hold on to in this world. There are to many people just sitting in their homes and says: "If there are no soldiers, there will be no war..." . But they are wrong. Conflicts are a part of humanity, there are some fine exampels in your home: How many times don't you fight with your brother / sister?? It's the same thing in the "real" world. Big brother U.S fights with their little brother Iraq... Why: Because the U.S finds Iraq as an enemy, just as you can see your brother / sister as an enemy for your candy .   So: there will always be wars, and hopefully soldiers to fight them. If there are no soldiers it will be the, so called "civilians", who will have to fight the war, because it will always be there (war)...

There are two ways of dig: You can die, trying to make a diffenrence, or you can die just watching... I'd chose the first alternative, Would you?

PS. You'll have to excuse my, not perfect, english. I'm 14 years old and Swede so...   And one more thing: Sweden will beat England in the worldcup
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6880

Bubbalo wrote:

Any chance of you showing all how it should be done? you have noticed they aren't in Uniform so any dead people ( even if insurgents killed them ) are casualties of " George Bush's  bumbling coalition forces "

As for all the " Right Bias " in the News , there is an entire post on this. and no one was able to name another staion that isn't Left save for Fox News. Not that they are " Right leaning" they just don't lean left.

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-06-17 15:21:08)

spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6583|vancouver

Horseman 77 wrote:

As for all the " Right Bias " in the News , there is an entire post on this. and no one was able to name another staion that isn't Left save for Fox News. Not that they are " Right leaning" they just don't lean left.
It's all relative to the observer, Horseman.  You may well believe Fox is the only unbiased news source, but you can't say "no one [is] able to name another station that isn't Left" and think this is somehow an objective fact.  The only thing it reflects is your ability or willingness to acknowledge the existence of views that don't match your own.

From my perspective, all mainstream news organizations lean right to varying degrees, and mostly pretty heavily.  This is just my view, but it is based on some objective observations:

1. They are privately owned businesses and therefore competing with each other.
2. A business must maximize profits to provide value to their shareholders or it will perish.
3. The overwhelming bulk of their revenue comes from advertising, the point of which is normally to increase sales for the advertiser, usually also a privately owned business (see 2).

So basically, I don't see that any of this has much to do with "people's right to know", "informed decisions", or individual citizens in general.  None of that stuff has any real relevance to the editorial policy of a mainstream news organization.  What matters is the bottom line, and that means attracting the most advertising revenue.

When was the last time you had to decide which networks you wanted to advertise on?  Or which you wanted to punish for pushing "unfriendly" editorial content?

Enjoy Democracy™.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6880
and the one you named as  " Right Bias " is........... ???
CameronPoe
+2,925|6598

spastic bullet wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

It's all relative to the observer, Horseman.  You may well believe Fox is the only unbiased news source, but you can't say "no one [is] able to name another station that isn't Left" and think this is somehow an objective fact.  The only thing it reflects is your ability or willingness to acknowledge the existence of views that don't match your own.

From my perspective, all mainstream news organizations lean right to varying degrees, and mostly pretty heavily.  This is just my view, but it is based on some objective observations:

1. They are privately owned businesses and therefore competing with each other.
2. A business must maximize profits to provide value to their shareholders or it will perish.
3. The overwhelming bulk of their revenue comes from advertising, the point of which is normally to increase sales for the advertiser, usually also a privately owned business (see 2).

So basically, I don't see that any of this has much to do with "people's right to know", "informed decisions", or individual citizens in general.  None of that stuff has any real relevance to the editorial policy of a mainstream news organization.  What matters is the bottom line, and that means attracting the most advertising revenue.

When was the last time you had to decide which networks you wanted to advertise on?  Or which you wanted to punish for pushing "unfriendly" editorial content?

Enjoy Democracy™.
Spastic Bullet - I don't think anyone who is still possessed of their senses could ever describe the odious neo-con voicepiece 'FOX News' as unbiased. Scary channel. It is THE US-Israel-Big Money propaganda machine. I trust Horseman knows that it is biased too.

PS I'm not trying to say there are not equally biased liberal news channels.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6592|Southeastern USA
as i have stated before they take their journalistic credibility very seriously and on their NEWS SHOWS they try to paint an even handed picture of world events, everyone keeps focusing on their EDITORIAL SHOWS and yelling "BIASED!", and even then the shows balance their speakers viewpoints, the best reason i can see that they "lean right" is that they are in the middle of the road and all their critics and competition are to their left
CameronPoe
+2,925|6598

kr@cker wrote:

as i have stated before they take their journalistic credibility very seriously and on their NEWS SHOWS they try to paint an even handed picture of world events, everyone keeps focusing on their EDITORIAL SHOWS and yelling "BIASED!", and even then the shows balance their speakers viewpoints, the best reason i can see that they "lean right" is that they are in the middle of the road and all their critics and competition are to their left
I would disagree to a certain extent with that. If you compare their website to other news websites when a story breaks you will find that a story that doesn't reflect well on the right or on the war in Iraq is tucked away in a hard to find place and played down considerably whereas elsewhere it is reported like any other story.
Also the 'balance' they provide is unbelievably weak when it comes to representing anti-neo-con views. They also subliminally report things in their ticker with a bias, in particular with respect to the Israel-Palestine conflict. Other biases they have introduced is the use of the term 'homicide bomber' as opposed to 'suicide bomber'. There are many examples but it is all very subtly done - right down to the now-meaningless subliminal 'TERROR ALERT: ELEVATED' warning that flashes along the ticker every two minutes to remind Americans of how much 'danger' they are in (lol).

Personallly I think editorials and opinion section should either not be allowed or should be heavily regulated on any news channel (whether left leaning or right leaning). It's propaganda pure and simple. And the 'mindless masses' are very susceptible to subliminal bombardment with ideas and concepts. How do you think that crazy loner Hitler managed to dupe so many people. That's obviously a ridiculously extreme example but subliminal messages and constant bombardment with one mans vision led to a once-great nation's destruction. IN GENERAL, the only people who take a critical view of news stories they hear or read are the middle and upper classes - the masses are wide open for brainwashing by those with the money to promote their ideals through the media. This is very dangerous indeed.

PS ON the balance issue - I hardly think cutting someons microphone when they say something disagreeable is very balanced...

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-17 18:26:44)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6717|Canberra, AUS
Uhhh... who neg'd me for this?

Spark wrote:

Only psychotics like to kill others. And I seriously doubt the US would recruit psychotics very often.
'Cos your comment makes me think you meant to +1 me...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6583|vancouver

kr@cker wrote:

kr@cker, there are two separate issues here.  The first is that editorial policy doesn't just pertain to "EDITORIAL SHOWS" -- it also determines (1) what stories end up airing on the "NEWS SHOWS" at all, (2) how much time each story gets, (3) which sides of the story get any mention at all, (4) how each side is presented/edited, and so on...  There are only so many hours in a news day and 6bn people on the planet -- all "news" is editorial.

The second issue is whether explicitly labelling something "EDITORIAL" removes the need for any journalistic credibility.  Sure, it's good to know that it's just Bill O'Reilly's opinion that Bush sees the Gitmo detainees as POWs, but it's still 100% fact-free.  I don't know if this makes him a liar or just an idiot, but it's clear that some people watching will take his word for it.  How does this not hurt FOX's credibility, except in the event that viewers don't find out it's not true?

Lastly, if "all their critics and competition are to their left" but "they are in the middle of the road", that's a lot of road just going to waste.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6592|Southeastern USA

spastic bullet wrote:

Lastly, if "all their critics and competition are to their left" but "they are in the middle of the road", that's a lot of road just going to waste.
pretty much

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard