Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6693|UK
what time did the competition start?

i was there at about 7:00-7:30PM GMT and there was people in tanks, inside the karkand hotel, all sorts.

So i left and never got a proper go.!??!?!
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6578|England
By the looks of nyte did well with a shit ping ,and if there where people in the hotel on karkand why werent the admins kicking/banning them ??
plastic_budgie
+114|6749|England : East Yorkshire
Lol it was a Joke Karkand i got Spawn raped by apc killed by tanks , Assult kit with his g3 killed me alot:(   Only decent round's where wake where every one played properly I left kubra as it draged got a bit boring no targets lol as every one was sniper and that map is HUGE... gd fun tou
LordDragonclaw
RPK-74 Whore
+26|6580
It was fun but I never did anything worth anything
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6625|Warlord

(EUS)Gen.BadSnipaDay wrote:

I got kicked for going medic
You're not serious are you? The point of this is that there should be nobody on the field who isn't a sniper; that way deaths are deaths.

Samtheman53 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too... and what server was this on? And where were we supposed to find this out? Was this after or before the set time of 19.00 BST 'cause I popped in slightly ahead of time and things seemed to already be in full swing.

Samtheman53 wrote:

i was there at about 7:00-7:30PM GMT...
We're on summer time now aren't we?

This needs to be organised better the next time (no offence duffry, I know it's hard to try and get a bunch of guys from all over the world together in one spot at a given time even before we get to the technical difficulties) and I think the rules need to be really rigid. I propose:
full unlocks obviously;
no artie;
no armour use, period;
and you can't get any sort of proper reading on this if you're having to watch out for some stupid dickless moron armed with a PKM so there should be an instant kickban for anyone seen not wearing a ghillie suit or, even better, seen not to be a sniper in the list, so there needs to be one non-playing observer for each team with admin status;
I'm of two minds about supply crates - you might live long enough to need the ammo, much less want to have your health topped up;
as for UAV and satellite spotting to aid the natural skills of each person, that seems almost like cheating too although it is a reflection of the normal gaming environment in BF2.
vqsnapp
+5|6657

Nyte wrote:

wetworks.de for the win.
here here

I second that and not just because he is my squadmate. DE is a badass sniper anytime he holds the rifle. We had bad pings being from the North American side of things but still managed to do ok.

duffry props for getting this going and not just letting the idea float off in the breeze. Much respect to all the snipers, Sharqi was fun we had a squad who in the middle of things decided to go hunting nyte lol. I would definately be up for it again and I am sure DE would as well.

**DE stands for DeadEye btw

Last edited by vqsnapp (2006-06-10 19:37:47)

irok100
+114|6647
im pissed cuz i had to be at a party
and i missed it
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6768|AUS, Canberra
i was gona play but your day = my sat night...sooooooo......it wasnt to hard to decide where i was gona be....
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6785|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
I thoroughly enjoyed my brief showing in the matches. Despite whatever cons; jets tanks etc whatever, I think the main point to focus on would be the rather large 'showing' from our beloved BF2s forums. Personally I was unable to bring my 'A' game to the event due to distractions at home. To be quite honest: In my first few maps...I was slightly disturbed with my performance, upset even..totally agrevated. I told meself that 'Seamus, your rusty, not your fault, you've been away from sniping for months" etc etc. By the 4th map, I saw today for exactly what it was.........

Today, IMHO lads, wasn't about stats, kills, sniping or even KDR's (KPH, just for you Nyte:). Today Gentlemen, was about Comraderie. The personalities in the server were as diverse as I've ever witnessed, yet we all have a inner love/pride in our own scope abilities and those that share a similar passion of the kit. Each of us understand why we and others enjoys our style of gameplay, whether long, short, combat or precise, there is a common denominator....We are Snipers.

I recall when in the summer last year I entered the top 1000 in "sniper rifle", I was pleased to say the least. A month later I reached Top 250, I was very pleased. Top 100, Top 50, 25,20,15,10,5 needless to say I was quite feckin' happy:) I was chasing the almighty "Little_Chinky_But" in those days (#1 for 1/2 year i believe), Ember75, Admiral Montiero, Grafisk, Dub1, Junchan, DevilDog, Slynicoli etc etc. I never had too much competition in  my quest for top 5, until LEG*Weigon. Leg and I went back and forth for #8 and #9 for several weeks, It was kinda funny, I'd goto bed #8, wake up #9, he'd goto bed #8 and wake up #9. Lotta laughs actually.

I worked ruthlessly to obtain 100-150 kills per day (I'm retired btw:) all the while improving my K/D. I worried about K/d also due to my dearest friend, Books_DCDF (this flashy bastard had a 4.0 when I had 2.0).

THIS is the point of me rather lengthy post: (a few pints of whiskey also helped:)

I played BF2 since it came out for meself, my stats, my awards, my satisfaction...Until this up and comming Sniper started 'stalking' me. We met on a roof in Mashtuur...and to be completely honest..Books_DCDF changed my BF2 experience equally as much as my out of game life. I now had a collegue that would be on at roughly the same times I enjoyed playing, he had the passion for a scope, courteous, intelligent, we thought alike, played alike, and always enjoyed the friendship. Our wives must have thought we were carzy:) rofl.. I showed him a few tricks I've acquired and he recipricated tricks as well as a new map. Kubra Dam, A snipers heaven without the adrenaline, high intensity gameplay, 100% strategy and a GREAT k/d inhancer. It was through this snipe team that I began to appreciate the "kill assist" as much as the "kill", we work well together and enjoy each other's company. Throughout the months we've included several 'newer' up and comming scopers in our murdering squad: Tahadar, Roly or Mystic3470, Mporlier, Livelytoaster, Death_to_bunnies / MantisBoy, Todd Angelo (a fellow Irishman:) and a few others. To me, it was through these frienships that this online game transcended being a game and became a true social enjoyment.

<sidetracked, another whiskey please>

My point, once again is this: I began playing for my own goals, achievements and reasons. Like today, in the 'competition' (which IMHO, it wasn't really) a chance for Snipe aficianado's from around the world were gathered in one central server. Some meeting for the first time, some being on the same side of the scope for once and not 'searching'  for them to put a notch on our rifle stock, some clanmates, rookies, experts, young and old..enjoying a Saturday afternoon in each other's company. Duffry and his admins in one day, brought together some of the best and most passionate snipers in one sever at the same time and allowed us all to meet in game vs. just being a name on the leaderboards. Ranked/unranked, tanks, jets and jackasses aside, IMHO today was a huge sucess for what it will bring many of you off of that server. I truly hope that each one of us that participated were able to text, VOIP or in any small way respect, admire or at the very least meet and anjoy another new sniper acquaintence in BF2..Thank you everyone for making this happen.

I hung up my rifle a month or so ago when I became an Admin with EA and BF2RS, I've since slid down the leaderboard which I worked soo very hard to obtain...But in truth; it's the friendships of the lads I mentioned earlier and hopefully the many more to come which now, to me, takes presidence over a Global Ranking. It's definately about the frienships......

Slainte and Headshots,
Sinny

Last edited by [GDC]SinnFein (2006-06-10 21:57:27)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON

[GDC]SinnFein wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed my brief showing in the matches. Despite whatever cons; jets tanks etc whatever, I think the main point to focus on would be the rather large 'showing' from our beloved BF2s forums. Personally I was unable to bring my 'A' game to the event due to distractions at home. To be quite honest: In my first few maps...I was slightly disturbed with my performance, upset even..totally agrevated. I told meself that 'Seamus, your rusty, not your fault, you've been away from sniping for months" etc etc. By the 4th map, I saw today for exactly what it was.........

Today, IMHO lads, wasn't about stats, kills, sniping or even KDR's (KPH, just for you Nyte:). Today Gentlemen, was about Comraderie. The personalities in the server were as diverse as I've ever witnessed, yet we all have a inner love/pride in our own scope abilities and those that share a similar passion of the kit. Each of us understand why we and others enjoys our style of gameplay, whether long, short, combat or precise, there is a common denominator....We are Snipers.

I recall when in the summer last year I entered the top 1000 in "sniper rifle", I was pleased to say the least. A month later I reached Top 250, I was very pleased. Top 100, Top 50, 25,20,15,10,5 needless to say I was quite feckin' happy:) I was chasing the almighty "Little_Chinky_But" in those days (#1 for 1/2 year i believe), Ember75, Admiral Montiero, Grafisk, Dub1, Junchan, DevilDog, Slynicoli etc etc. I never had too much competition in  my quest for top 5, until LEG*Weigon. Leg and I went back and forth for #8 and #9 for several weeks, It was kinda funny, I'd goto bed #8, wake up #9, he'd goto bed #8 and wake up #9. Lotta laughs actually.

I worked ruthlessly to obtain 100-150 kills per day (I'm retired btw:) all the while improving my K/D. I worried about K/d also due to my dearest friend, Books_DCDF (this flashy bastard had a 4.0 when I had 2.0).

THIS is the point of me rather lengthy post: (a few pints of whiskey also helped:)

I played BF2 since it came out for meself, my stats, my awards, my satisfaction...Until this up and comming Sniper started 'stalking' me. We met on a roof in Mashtuur...and to be completely honest..Books_DCDF changed my BF2 experience equally as much as my out of game life. I now had a collegue that would be on at roughly the same times I enjoyed playing, he had the passion for a scope, courteous, intelligent, we thought alike, played alike, and always enjoyed the friendship. Our wives must have thought we were carzy:) rofl.. I showed him a few tricks I've acquired and he recipricated tricks as well as a new map. Kubra Dam, A snipers heaven without the adrenaline, high intensity gameplay, 100% strategy and a GREAT k/d inhancer. It was through this snipe team that I began to appreciate the "kill assist" as much as the "kill", we work well together and enjoy each other's company. Throughout the months we've included several 'newer' up and comming scopers in our murdering squad: Tahadar, Roly or Mystic3470, Mporlier, Livelytoaster, Death_to_bunnies / MantisBoy, Todd Angelo (a fellow Irishman:) and a few others. To me, it was through these frienships that this online game transcended being a game and became a true social enjoyment.

<sidetracked, another whiskey please>

My point, once again is this: I began playing for my own goals, achievements and reasons. Like today, in the 'competition' (which IMHO, it wasn't really) a chance for Snipe aficianado's from around the world were gathered in one central server. Some meeting for the first time, some being on the same side of the scope for once and not 'searching'  for them to put a notch on our rifle stock, some clanmates, rookies, experts, young and old..enjoying a Saturday afternoon in each other's company. Duffry and his admins in one day, brought together some of the best and most passionate snipers in one sever at the same time and allowed us all to meet in game vs. just being a name on the leaderboards. Ranked/unranked, tanks, jets and jackasses aside, IMHO today was a huge sucess for what it will bring many of you off of that server. I truly hope that each one of us that participated were able to text, VOIP or in any small way respect, admire or at the very least meet and anjoy another new sniper acquaintence in BF2..Thank you everyone for making this happen.

I hung up my rifle a month or so ago when I became an Admin with EA and BF2RS, I've since slid down the leaderboard which I worked soo very hard to obtain...But in truth; it's the friendships of the lads I mentioned earlier and hopefully the many more to come which now, to me, takes presidence over a Global Ranking. It's definately about the frienships......

Slainte and Headshots,
Sinny
Here here. Cheers to all the faces that were/weren't able to make it that day.
Alpha as fuck.
Entertayner
+826|6568

Nice one sinny, I agree with that 100%! It's a shame we couldnt play on that unranked i was starting to own with the ol' m24 and was first for ages anyway... heres my longest shot entry.

https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6524/bf2200606102111302ln.th.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
Some dude and I used the BH to get ontop of the Mosque at Mashtuur.. we completely owned on that map.  Can't remember who it was but we killed probably a solid 20-25 enemies from that position.

GG
Avarice
+41|6570|London, UK
Well done to everyone involved, I couldn't make it unfortunately. I think Nyte has proven himself, being second in most rounds

Big up to Duffry for getting this rolling, must've taken alot of work and even more effort. Did he even have enough energy to play?

So erm, next time lads, and don't shoot me, it's like shooting a disabled kid out of his wheelchair
duffry
Moderator Emeritus
+148|6837|Cheshire, UK

Prodie wrote:

So what do the top scorers win?
Kudos mostly though I'm making some new 'awards' for them as well.
Watch this space.

Samtheman53 wrote:

i was there at about 7:00-7:30PM GMT and there was people in tanks, inside the karkand hotel, all sorts.
So i left and never got a proper go.!??!?!
It started at 1800 GMT but it sounds like you were on the old server. The last minute switch (which ruined my sunny Saturday completely) was advertised but I forgot to kill the old server. Thanks to Sinny for letting me know that things were confused on the unranked server.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Samtheman53 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too... and what server was this on? And where were we supposed to find this out? Was this after or before the set time of 19.00 BST 'cause I popped in slightly ahead of time and things seemed to already be in full swing.
It started at the advertised time, but not on the server we originally stated.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

This needs to be organised better the next time (no offence duffry, I know it's hard to try and get a bunch of guys from all over the world together in one spot at a given time even before we get to the technical difficulties) and I think the rules need to be really rigid. I propose:
full unlocks obviously;
no artie;
no armour use, period;
and you can't get any sort of proper reading on this if you're having to watch out for some stupid dickless moron armed with a PKM so there should be an instant kickban for anyone seen not wearing a ghillie suit or, even better, seen not to be a sniper in the list, so there needs to be one non-playing observer for each team with admin status;
I'm of two minds about supply crates - you might live long enough to need the ammo, much less want to have your health topped up;
as for UAV and satellite spotting to aid the natural skills of each person, that seems almost like cheating too although it is a reflection of the normal gaming environment in BF2.
I had only a few days to put this into action and once we settled down I think it worked fairly well but I learned a lot and the next one will be smooth sailing all the way (I'll give myself more time too).
There were at least 3 non-playing DMZ staff at anyone time making sure there were no 'smacktards' or 'high-ping' players in (*wink*)
only once in the last 4 maps did someone grab the command position before an admin and they managed a couple of UAVs before being replaced, other than that we kept the commander toys out of player hands for fairness.

[GDC]SinnFein wrote:

...lots...
Thanks for that Sinny and your support on the night.
Myself and ZULU set up the DMZ as a BF2/gaming community last September, we bought a server and opened it up and tried to populate it (with some success). We started to wonder how we were going to get any money to keep the server running and in the end decided we had to start a clan. This we did but we kept the 'community spirit' with it by allowing non-paying members and recruiting based purely on whether we got on with people and not skill or stats.
I say this cos it's that community that we still try to promote within gaming. When there was a BF2 boycott we put some other games on our servers and a load of BF2 players joined us in seeing how the other half live (what? no vehicles?!).
When I read the thread about setting up a sniper competition I saw that it was not hosted yet and thought that it was exactly the sort of community event that I wanted the DMZ to be a part of. At that point I didn't know that it was supposed to be happening that week and not a lot had been arranged at all.
I had a great time and it was, as Sinny says, a real bonus to see so many from the forums in one place. I face going through the battlerecording with some dread but also expect to see some choice moments and hope to bring them to you all soon (still need music for the movie).
Thanks to all those who came and helped make it the event it was. Yes I organised it but it would have been rubbish without so much support.
Thanks also to those who have +1'd me.
You can all help support the DMZ by popping into our servers now and then, patch 1.3 has kinda killed them a bit but we have loads of top quality servers that just need some regular faces, we admin them well (I think) but without regulars we'll lose them and that could end the DMZ. This is my plea to you guys.

Avarice wrote:

Big up to Duffry for getting this rolling, must've taken alot of work and even more effort. Did he even have enough energy to play?
Energy I had but was too busy admining, maybe next time.
0akleaves
+183|6611|Newcastle UK
yeah nyte did well with his ping but i killed him 4 times and a knife kill, i think we should only include the results for sharqi 1 and 2 but 2 is more important
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Entertayner
+826|6568

I don't i did absolutely S HIT!! on sharqi lol, heres the vid of my long shot Click here to watch 603m-sniper-shot
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6758
Could some other kit comps be held? Assault and Engineer would be fun.
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6647|South Korea.
I wana see the match highlights and overal score per player. Oh and my leet "jet bomb".
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6644
ah wud of liked to of seen that i was out! interesting results
TheNaziPredator
+15|6571
Good fun gained a lot of expereience ie. this morning I got 30 kills 0 deaths at mash and 25 kills 2 deaths, hope to have another go at it!
ssonrats
+221|6643
It was fun, but not much of a competition, lol, i just played for fun that is all. I think Arujuna would have won if he stayed, on his first and only round he got 23-3 on kark.
=|DMZ|=ZULU
+4|6784|Birmingham, England
Hey Guys,
Would just like to say thanks again to you all for popping along and making this a fun event. A lot of complaints have been made about the organisation of it, but to be quite frank, with less than a week to organise things, the patch making unlocks unavailable to unranked servers, and the complete load of muppets that thought a server called 'DMZ::BF2s Sniper Competition' would allow the use of tanks, APCs etc, it made the whole thing tough to get right. The main reason why the start was so bad was purely down to the fact that we thought the Kick Vote system would work. However, after those first two rounds of Karkand we realised that there were FAAAR to many players joining not knowing what this event was, and so we deciding that the kick votes werent enough. We threw the ROE out of the window and decided to kick anyone and everyone who wasnt using the sniper kit (which we can see in our admin tool). So if you were another kit, chances were you would have been kicked within about 30 seconds. We also tried our best to kick anyone seen shooting from the APCs/Tanks. I said it in another thread - did anyone see a guy with a high score who wasnt a sniper or was using armour/aircraft? I certainly didnt, and think that was about as good as we could have done bearing in mind it was a ranked server :) We really had a lot of adminning to do! Seriously, we must have been kicking like 50 players per round!!!!!

Now we know just how bad ranked servers will be for this kind of thing we can prepare better. Hopefully though an unranked server will allow for unlocks however, once EA sort this patch out. You never, know, the next competition might be more like a competition if we arrange it well enough, so keep posted ;)
Entertayner
+826|6568

I've been sucking since the sniper competition lol, i think it might be cos i've got a headache or cos nazi is constantly telling me how good he is, i dunno... anyway well played everyone and i cant wait for someone to make a vid of it
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

the_heart_attack wrote:

i was gona play but your day = my sat night...sooooooo......it wasnt to hard to decide where i was gona be....
BS excuse M8   
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6589|Your attic
I was there for the pre-match stuff, but I don't think I ever got to actually take part in the comp. Pity as I was playing really well in the unranked, and then played ok in the larger ranked server. ahh well, heres to next time.

oh and cheers to all the guys from DMZ, server was great, and even though a few people obviously can't read, it was still good.
Towelly

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard