spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6753|Michigan
I am very limited on funds and I want to upgrade my mobo.
I have one question before I buy.

First my current specs:
Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHz
Frontside Bus speed  266 MHz
Processor architecture  Socket-A (PGA462)
Chipset  KM266
Hard drive  40 GB 
Drive RPM  5400 RPM 
Memory max  1 GB
Memory speed  2100 MB/Sec 
Total DIMM sockets  2-184 pin 

Now, I want to save money by keeping my processor and the mobo I want is different than the one I have because it supports 3gb of ram.
The problem I'm having is trying to understand if my processor will work with the mobo.
I know it will fit but the frontside Bus speed of the new mobo is400/333mhz.
Maybe I'm confused on the whole frontside bus speed thing.
Will this mobo work for me?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813138234

Any advice from a good hardware minded tech head would rock!
Like I said I have very limited funds.
This mobo seems to support everything I have right now. My ram is the same and dual speed. pc 2100/2700
I also only have 200watt power supply but found a 300watt in one of my old puters.
BallisticallyYours
+23|6654|Chicago, IL
Is your cpu a 939 socket...? whats your budget? 90-150 bucks, is the average. Are you looking to upgrade other components later like the graphics card? There are alot of questions to ask, but I would stick with ASUS, decent boards, lots of price ranges. But no matter what that board will work with your current setup, don't know how the BIOS setup will go, goog luck.

Last edited by BallisticallyYours (2006-06-10 14:45:12)

BallisticallyYours
+23|6654|Chicago, IL
Sorry, just checked the link, a 462? Hmm, I think the 462 might be outdated, considering AMD is releasing a 989 socket sometime, if you buy that board your stuck with increasingly outdated hardware. It has an AGP slot which will severly limit your Graphics card choices since they are all going pci express and sli\ crossfire. 3 gigs of ram is a nice thought, but alot of mobo's now carry 4 with newer sockets. Are you sure you want to stick with the 462? I think if you check around you can get a 939 board and a decent processor combo.. cheap. Any one else have any options? Stick with an invidia northbridge, with sli preferably, this way you can kinda keep up.
MOBO-Item #: N82E16813131571
CPU-Item #: N82E16819103537     both on newegg.

Last edited by BallisticallyYours (2006-06-10 14:43:16)

spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6753|Michigan
Well, I have an Agp geforce 6800 and basicly I don't have much money. I'd be happy with what I have but my mobo is only upgradeable to 1gb of ram... that's my whole prob!
I just want the faster loading times and it would be nice to get more out of my graphic card. At the moment, I have to have shaders off and everything else on med for BF2.
If I understand correctly, more ram would fix this.

By the way... I'm limited money wise cause my job sucks and messed up on the payroll and I'm making less money than I should and I have a wife and two kids to feed!
You all know how it is.

Thanks for replies.

oh, under $100 cause I want to get more ram.

Last edited by spacebandit72 (2006-06-10 14:45:32)

BallisticallyYours
+23|6654|Chicago, IL
Ram will definately help if nothing else, I see your prob. Got twin girls of my own, one income, I know how it is, good luck, IT WILL get you by.

I don't believe you need more than two gigs, save the third stick for a rainy day.

Last edited by BallisticallyYours (2006-06-10 14:49:04)

Breadman
+27|6756|Southern New Jersey
www.pricewatch.com  has sites with deals on mb/cpu combos under 200 bucks. Should also add another gig of ram also for playing BF2.

Last edited by Breadman (2006-06-10 14:58:16)

AvengingAngel
+3|6554|St Louis
you cant use that mb with your current cpu...as u know...your current cpu has a fsb of 266...the mb doesnt support that.if you can...try and find a 3200 barton...those run @ 400...and then find some pc3200 memory...your still going to be limited on your systems preformance(due to socket A limitations) but i understand your budget issues.even assuming you could get your current cpu to work with the mb you are looking at....honestly...you would be wasting what funds on you have..and not gain a thing.one more thing...if money is REALLY tight...and you have no choice but to stick with that cpu.....have a look at this mb...ive used several over the years...and they work well.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ … hp?UID=436

Last edited by AvengingAngel (2006-06-11 07:10:12)

spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6753|Michigan

AvengingAngel wrote:

.have a look at this mb...ive used several over the years...and they work well.
Very cool. Thanks for a point in the right direction!!!
I know it sounds stupid to stick w/ my current processor but at the moment I have to.
I'm thinking around tax time next year... I'll be able to do a good upgrade. Untill then I just want faster loading times and better graphics.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas.
slo5oh
+28|6684

spacebandit72 wrote:

Well, I have an Agp geforce 6800 and basicly I don't have much money. I'd be happy with what I have but my mobo is only upgradeable to 1gb of ram... that's my whole prob!
I just want the faster loading times and it would be nice to get more out of my graphic card. At the moment, I have to have shaders off and everything else on med for BF2.
If I understand correctly, more ram would fix this.

By the way... I'm limited money wise cause my job sucks and messed up on the payroll and I'm making less money than I should and I have a wife and two kids to feed!
You all know how it is.

Thanks for replies.

oh, under $100 cause I want to get more ram.
Wait and watch.  You should be able to get a good 754 chipset a64 or semperon DIRT CHEAP.  I just bought an a64 3000 boxed cpu with mobo for $69 +tax at Fry's last week.  Thats a lot of bang for your buck.  The mobo is an ECS Nforce3a so it still has AGP and you can keep your current video card.
As old as your CPU is, I'd recommend you even consider a good sempron (754 chipset) with new mobo.  The sempie 3100s ran better than the XP 3200 (barton) chip did... factor in that the sempron 3100 is a great over clocker and you've got a good system for dirt cheap.  Go to fatwallet.com and watch for deals.
Breadman
+27|6756|Southern New Jersey

spacebandit72 wrote:

AvengingAngel wrote:

.have a look at this mb...ive used several over the years...and they work well.
Very cool. Thanks for a point in the right direction!!!
I know it sounds stupid to stick w/ my current processor but at the moment I have to.
I'm thinking around tax time next year... I'll be able to do a good upgrade. Until then I just want faster loading times and better graphics.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas.
For not that much money you can get a good agp motherboard and a  939 Athlon 64 3000+ or a 3200+. For under 200 bucks. http://www.asrock.com/index_english.html Asrock makes motherboards with both AGP and PCI Express together. Asrock makes mb's with multi cpu support 754,939 and AM2. Asrock is owned by Asus So they should be decent quality at a lower price.  NewEgg sells Asrock here's link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … ategory=22

Last edited by Breadman (2006-06-14 21:39:29)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6665|Deep In The South Of Texas
Socket A and AGP are both dead tech, you'd be better off saving your money until you have enough to get a 939 board and CPU.

Example:
Athlon 64 3000+ @ $96

This motherboard supports AGP and PCI-e video cards, so it would work with the one you have now and also allow you to upgrade to new tech later.
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 @ $67.99

Total= $170.66 shipped

This would get you a huge step up in tech without spending much more over your $100 budget.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard