Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6744|Toronto, ON
A short guide on how to be a player close to my calibre

Requirements:
1) The mouse matters.  I don't care what anyone says, this is the be-all and end-all of close range sniping.  You should have either one of the following mice:
Logitech MX518
Logitech G5
Logitech G7
Razer Copperhead
Any mouse that does not have sensitivity changing on the fly is complete crap if you want to pursue this road.

2) Display settings should optimally be:
- 1280x1024 and up
- All settings at high but turn shadows and lighting to the lowest possible setting
- Viewing distance set at 100%

3) VoIP turned ON.  You will be the squad leader most of the time, you will be leading the flock of sheep so please do so with your voice, not by typing.

4) Nyte's mindset.  You are the sniper-from-hell.  The enemy team dreads your type.  You're the headshot king.  You can fend off a whole squad capping a flag.  You can cap a flag all by yourself in a contested base.  You don't care about your stats, you care about WINNING the game.  You don't know the meaning of "missed a shot".  You don't care what others say because you KNOW you can beat them more than they can beat you.  You ARE the epitome of what all in-your-face snipers should be.

Let's get started
From the least accurate to the most accurate sniper rifle:
M95: Takes all targets down to 2 bars of health. Lowest bullet drop. Largest reticule. Medium bullet travel time. Great for "noob" ejecting and doing the solo dance in the chopper.
M24: Takes all unarmored targets to 2 bars of health (Medic, Sniper, Engineer, Spec-Ops). Takes armored targets to 40% of their health (Support, Assault, Anti-Tank). Medium bullet drop. Medium reticule. Fastest bullet travel time. (Personally I prefer the M24 over the L96A1 when the situation calls for it)
L96A1: Takes all unarmored targets to 2 bars of health (Medic, Sniper, Engineer, Spec-Ops). Takes armored targets to 40% of their health (Support, Assault, Anti_tank). Highest bullet drop. Smallest reticule. Slowest bullet travel time.
Excluded SVD/Type88 (I don't use these often so I won't comment on it).  Takes 4 shots to kill armored targets and 3 for unarmored targets (Unless headshot of course).

If you are planning on pursuing this road, the M95 is the only rifle you will ever use.  Their are some perks with using this as well, all kits are damaged the same, you can kill through vehicle windshield, and you can snipe pilots (friendly or enemy).

The first thing you will need is to set you DPI to a low enough level so that you can consistently and smoothly lead targets.  Most of the snipers out there are not up-to-par all because of this simple rule.

I suggest 400 DPI (The lowest for Logitech G5, the one I use).  You have much greater control when you have this setting.  I've seen friends of mine set their's at 1600 DPI because they think bigger numbers = bigger penis.  Ding dong, here comes the clue train: 1600 DPI is impossible to snipe with.  Make me a FRAPS video of someone streaking in the 10's and I might change this sentence but until then, no way in hell is anyone ever going to snipe successfully at that high of a DPI setting.

Aiming:
I can't really give any tips for this as this is solely gather-from-experience.  One thing you need to know is that this applies to ALL games.  You HAVE to know your mousepad and mouse and how far they generally move on the screen without actually moving it.  If you know the movement distance of your mouse by memory alone, you're ready.  And please, if you intend to learn aiming well, DON'T buy a new mousepad/mouse every couple of months, it effectively "resets" your "memory" of your mouse/mousepad combo.

When going in for flag cap:
Make sure to know your surroundings well, place claymores at the choke points leading to the flags.  When capping, don't be afraid to have your sniper rifle as your main weapon.  Given the distance seperating the flags from walls, ALL maps give you ample room to close-range snipe while capping.  Even the hotel at Karkand (The smallest flag cap area in all the maps) has plenty of room.

When going in for the kill:
This depends on which kit you manage to face off against.
Sniper: This is either the hardest or the easiest depending on who is sniping.  You can tell by the skillset of the opposing sniper from the following characteristics: They go prone and stay there shooting at you (Amateur), they prone-crouch-prone-crouch (Higher than normal skillset), they jump while turning around and prone (Highest skillset).  If you are facing the latter sniper, they normally have amazing accuracy (This is how you should play), these snipers tend to do the 180 degree turn during a jump to fool you but when they land-prone, they are facing you and have the perfect shot lined up.  The only counter I have for this is you do the same thing.  The other 2 types of snipers are easy kills as they tend to be living in the breathe-shoot mindset, just do a jump-prone-shoot-crouch-repeat and they will miss 99% of their shots.

Support: These are the easiest players to take out.  Nearly all of them will either go prone and shoot, or dolphin dive and shoot (when they land, that's your chance to take them out).  The only problem I see with support players is when they spam grenades (But all classes suffer from the same tactic so I won't go into that here).

Anti-Tank These guys are almost as easy to take out as the support players due to their poor main weapons.  Treat them as you would treat support.  The only thing that you should watch out for is the DAO-12 in extreme close quarters, it gets even the best of players (including me).  Another thing to look out for is the SRAW/ERYX sniper.  The amateur ones will usually stand/prone still while shooting/aiming the rocket, a simple jump-prone-shoot takes care of those.  The PRO ones can move around while aiming the rocket (ie. The Anti-Tanker from HELL), in these situations, it is a 50/50 chance on who gets who first... just remember that jump-prone-shoot-crouch-repeat is your friend.

Engineer: Depending on the situation, this can be easy or your worst nightmare.  If the distance between both of you is less than 10m, a sniper rifle will NOT do and you will have to either rely on your pistol OR a grenade.  Anything greater than 10m should not be a problem because engineers can't accurately shoot that far anways.  If the situation is the former, my favorite tactic is tapping the right mouse button so the grenade falls to the floor while jumping away, most of the time the engineer will chase you with their shotgun and get killed by the grenade you leave behind.

Spec Ops: A little bit harder than support.  They have fairly accurate guns and they do not rely on proning so headshots are a bit harder.  In these situations, it is ok to hit them in the body with the sniper rifle, just switch to pistol fast and fire some shots at them to take them out.  Most spec-ops players will run when they have 2 bars of health, this is the perfect opportunity to take out your pistol.  Some spec-ops players will actually continue to try and kill you even with 2 health bars, a pistol or grenade will do in this case.

Medic: Same as Spec Ops.  Watch out for the pro medics.  You can tell if you they throw a med pack in front of them and jump-prone on it while shooting at you, in these situations you usually have only one shot because if you hit their body, guess what, they're back to full health while their G36E hammers you down.

Assault: One of the hardest to take out due to their grenade launcher.  A pro assault player versus a sniper will usually end up in victory for the assault.  I myself have trouble taking on these types, the best bet is to get that headshot on your first shot, otherwise, drop a claymore and run.

Some general tips:
- The animation where the player goes prone is misleading... As soon as they hit prone, their hitbox is already on the floor while their animation model is not.  AIM FOR THE PRONE POSITION even if their animation model is not on the floor yet.  It may be hard at first because your brain doesn't adjust like that but by doing this, you effectively kill your targets 100% faster because you don't have to wait for the animation model to actually hit the floor.
- Even the zoom on the rifle has some tricks to it.  As some of you probably discovered, there is a bug with double zooming on the rifle.  This only happens if you don't time the zoom-in/reload correctly.  After you fire a hit, wait for the bolt-reload ANIMATION (not the SOUND) to finish playing, once it's finished, you can zoom in again without fear of the doublezoom bug.
- Putting a dot in the middle of your monitor (You can use a small sticker).  You might be thinking about non-scoped kills. HELL NO.  The dot in the middle of your monitor is solely for zooming in on the target without much deviation.  Most snipers usually zoom in close to their target but never ON the target, they therefore waste time trying to center their reticule on the enemy.  By using the dot, you can zoom in fairly close to your target every single time and thereby reduce line-up times.  I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world due to this strategy alone.
- The M95 has a sweet spot for aiming.  The bottom of the reticule crosshair should be used for aiming and only the bottom.  From experience, the bullets tend to travel through that.  Never use the "center" of the reticule crosshair for aiming, it works at the center only for distances less than 50 m.

Against vehicles
For gunners: Gunners on top of tanks/vehicles are the easiest to take out.  The exception is Anti-Air armor gunners, they are alot harder because the mounted seat moves along with the turret.
Vodniks vs HUMVEES vs NJ2046:  The HUMVEE and NJ2046 have the advantage of exposing the driver from the back.  The Vodnik on the hand doesn't and therefore you won't be able to pull off the snipe-driver-as-hes-driving-away.

For pilots: If it's moving, it's all chance, otherwise the only other time you'll ever need to use it against a pilot is when you're stealing it for your team while its starting to take off.

To address the 1.4 prone->crouch delay.  This patch has made it SOO much more easier to take down enemies because they tend to stay in the prone animation longer (with the assumption that all spamming forms are gone).  Well, they are wrong.
The new bullet dodging system is the following:
1)Jump->Prone->Shoot->Crouch.    If Missed, then repeat over and over until target dead.
2)Crouch Spam, it makes your head look like its bobbing up and down constantly.

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by Nyte (2006-09-12 00:36:45)

Alpha as fuck.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6725|St. Andrews / Oslo

Nyte wrote:

Please! STFU!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6574|Eastern USA

Jenspm wrote:

Nyte wrote:

Please! STFU!
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6731|The Hague, Netherlands

i'm sure its a great guide for people who wanna learn sniper/or wanna learn something new. but what Jens said that first line is a bit too much........
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
easy-skanking
+43|6528
stop writing guides you are garbage

either that or name it how to suck ass like nyte
Jenspm
penis

"I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world" isn't that good either...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6712|Scotland
+1 tbh
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6785|Jupiter
God has spoken once again, Get down on your knees and kiss his feet.
kn0ckahh
+98|6731|netherlands, sweet lake city
you are probably very good    but your arrogant
RD_The_Dog
+87|6529

Jenspm wrote:

"I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world" isn't that good either...
Agreed.  Saying stuff like this is not a good thing to do.  People hate that sort of crap.  It makes you seem pompous and arrogant.

But from your stats, and your time playing sniper, you do have a lot of experience to share, so this should be a very good guide.  So +1 for you.
acidkiller187
+123|6623

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

i'm sure its a great guide for people who wanna learn sniper/or wanna learn something new. but what Jens said that first line is a bit too much........
i wanna learn on how to have sex with your sig
kn0ckahh
+98|6731|netherlands, sweet lake city

RD_The_Dog wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Agreed.  Saying stuff like this is not a good thing to do.  People hate that sort of crap.  It makes you seem pompous and arrogant.

But from your stats, and your time playing sniper, you do have a lot of experience to share, so this should be a very good guide.  So +1 for you.
whahaha look at the time difference between our posts   1 sec

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2006-06-07 09:43:49)

Jenspm
penis

lol
RD_The_Dog
+87|6529
lol!  "Arrogant" was used as well.  LOLIES
Jenspm
penis

"lolies"

Last edited by Jenspm (2006-06-07 09:51:15)

GermanLegionaire
...performing headshots!
+46|6577|Hamburg / Germany
the only thing i like in nyte's stats is his sniper rifle acc. the rest seems very average to me.
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6725|Oslo, Norway

SaladForks wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Nyte wrote:

Please! STFU!
Chillin&killin
+27|6667|Manchester,England
lets face it the i wont argue you cap alot of flags and kill alot of people but if your style of gaming works on the servers you play on then the oppostion are noobs being consistantly killed by close range snipers is a sign that you should not play. i havent capped many flags but i play methodically not attack gung-ho like you my k/d ratio proves it.

Last edited by Chillin&killin (2006-06-07 10:04:01)

davblos
+4|6732|Melb, Australia
Some nice tips.
Delphy
+45|6577|Bristol, UK
Yeah, I rarely try and cap flags as sniper, some asshat always seems to jump me, and I die... i'm pretty crap at situations where you need to make a headshot or you die. I'm good at long-range, stealtho sniping though.

And yeah Nyte is arrogant, but have you seen his vids? He is good.
I really like the assault one, you use single shot well.

Last edited by Delphy (2006-06-07 10:16:00)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6744|Toronto, ON

Chillin&killin wrote:

lets face it the i wont argue you cap alot of flags and kill alot of people but if your style of gaming works on the servers you play on then the oppostion are noobs being consistantly killed by close range snipers is a sign that you should not play. i havent capped many flags but i play methodically not attack gung-ho like you my k/d ratio proves it.
Your W/L is VERY impressive.  But isn't 1500 Karkand games kind of much?

I try my best to diversify across maps but almost all servers out there rotate Karkand like every other game.
Alpha as fuck.
Chillin&killin
+27|6667|Manchester,England
yeah i am strinking from karkand playin a bit of sf and wake, just the continuous loading of different maps gets annoying so sticking to 24/7 servers mean you play alot of rounds
=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6618|Britain and Damn proud of it!

Nyte wrote:

Chillin&killin wrote:

Your W/L is VERY impressive.  But isn't 1500 Karkand games kind of much?

I try my best to diversify across maps but almost all servers out there rotate Karkand like every other game.
Come on one of our TV2 24/7 servers we got most maps 24/7 with 20 rounds a game, its pretty fun.

Oh nice guide BTW you obnoxious sniper you.

Last edited by =|A mere Shadow|= (2006-06-07 11:08:01)

irok100
+114|6642
Nyte... all i have to say,l is your acuracy is high because u don't take alot of risky shots....Most of the people who praise ur vids don't snipe much. Yes you get alot of kills, but the way you play alone doesn't make u a sniper idol, and god.. pft, ur not THAT good, i think we can reserver the god position for a better sniper out there... and i can't wait for your montage, set the bar, so i cn make a better one im much less time
Hyper
Banned
+154|6743

GermanLegionaire wrote:

the only thing i like in nyte's stats is his sniper rifle acc. the rest seems very average to me.
and we all know accuracy with a sniper rifle is a joke

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard