Poll

Would you like to pull out of the Commonwealth?

I am Canadian, I want out and to become a Republic!11%11% - 8
I am Australian, I want out and to become a Republic!26%26% - 19
I am Canadian, God Save The Queen, let's stay in!19%19% - 14
I am Australian, God Save The Queen, let's stay in!16%16% - 12
I am Canadian, and don't know what you're on about???16%16% - 12
I am Australian, and don't know what you're on about???8%8% - 6
Total: 71
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6558|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Just wondering what our friends in the colonies think of being part of the commonwealth.  Although, it is obviously not the same as hundreds of years ago when you were ruled by us, would you like to break away from the fact that the Queen is your head of state?  I believe she is even printed on Canadian money isn't she?

There are benefits to being in the Commonwealth but would you be prepared to lose them for your "independece"?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6778|AUS, Canberra
I'm Aussie and i don't see the point of being in the commonwealth, although kicking ass at the games is rewarding.

but apart from that who really needs it.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

You know you can stay in the commonwealth and be a republic.
I just wrote a B+ essay on the topic for Political Science if you're interested, although it's on New Zealand.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
Hell yes!  I think, atm, the worst part is that the Queen has kindly (and I say this with no sarcasm) decided she won't choose the Governor General.  Instead, it gets chosen on the advice of the PM.  WTF?!?!?!?!?  What the hell is the point of having someone who's prime purpose is to stop the PM being untouchable AND LETTING THE PM CHOOSE HIM!!!!!!!!!
allfive6
+18|6711|Victoria BC or Karkand
who cares the queen really does not have any power in the country and she is not hurting anyone so whats the diff in or out. no one in there right mind would think Canadian and Australian don't live in free and independent country's
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

"He." Heh, that seems kind of strange to me. Our PM is a woman, our Governor-General is a woman our Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is a woman our Speaker of the House is a woman our MAYOR OF THE CAPITAL CITY IS A WOMAN!!!
But ah well, we still get a Male for Mayor of the biggest city.
Dick Hubbard! Breakfast-cereal tychoon!

Serious now:
Queens never choose the Governor General but delegate power to them. It's basicly a sign off thing that means very little. If a PM nominates a Governor-General the Quen will reckognise and honor that.

The Queen is still our head of state, the Governor General is nothing more than a representative of the Queen's power. They rubber-stamp legislation, that is their primary purpose. They can refuse to give the final sign-off on legislation, but most likely in that case parliament will recall them. It's a power balance.
However, the Governor-general reserves the right to dismantle Parliament. It's only something given to them to make sure they do actually have some power as the representative of the Head of State, but if used would probably just fuck up everything.

Anyway, I've already written a 1500 word essay on this. If anyone's interested I have it on this computer somewhere.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6554|Canada
I don't mind being part of the commonwealth.  I know the government set-up is a joke.  But I think it's working better than the republic system in the US.  At least we have 4 major parties, not just two.  It would be better to have an elected senate, but all the power would still lie with the majority party and ultimately with the party leader(s).  In Canada it seems to working, but like any system it can always be improved.  As for the Queen, she and the royal family are part of our nation's history.  And in Canada we don't have a very long history, so we should maintain that tie to the UK.
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6653|Nova Scotia

Point&Shoot wrote:

At least we have 4 major parties
What's the fourth?
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6775
I am not sure what changes would happen if we did become a republic. Anyone know?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

BN wrote:

I am not sure what changes would happen if we did become a republic. anyone know?
Very little. It would mean that the head of state would be a Canadian/Australian and that the republic has a different status in the world. there is no need to withdraw from the commonwealth, indeed most commonwealth countries are republics. the Crown has also expressed that if any of the dominions wish to become republics it would not effect immigration or work visas at all.

It's more a symbolic thing really. With Australia, Canada and New Zealand, we struggle to find our own identities, (Oz and NZ more than Canada.) becoming a republic is really just the final step of us having our own solid national identity.

Basicly the main anti-republican argument is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," which does make sense, but people still seem to find it odd that the head of state is not from their country, (i.e: not an Aussie, Kiwi or Canadian.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
jamiecracker
+17|6755|Wollongong,Australia
i think it would be a waste of time and money that could be better spent on health...i magine how much cash it would cost just to change the stationary in all the givernment departments Australia wide
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
Don't see any point in a constitutional monarchy. Better that we have our OWN head-of-state.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6665|Australia

Tyferra wrote:

You know you can stay in the commonwealth and be a republic.
Thats exactly right. Thats what i believe Australia should do. Being apart of the British Monarchy just doesnt work - we are on the opposite side of the world. They are in Europe, we are in, well technically Australia is a continent, but im going to say Asia for the purpose of this argument. And besides, the British havnt had any rule over us since the Australia Act of i THINK 1986. As soon as we can agree on a Republican style of government, i say we take it.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6558|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
I'm suprised by this.  Canadians seem to be quite happy whereas Australians are wanting out.   I find this strange as Australia (as we know it) is a younger country than Canada and nearly all the white population decended from the British so you think they would want to keep its ties with us.  Also, Australia would have to make the most changes if they were to seperate from the Queen.  Australia Day would have to go, as that celebrates the day the British established their first colony there, and you would have to design a new flag.

Here is some more info on what being in the commonwealth means, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe … 554175.stm

Tyferra wrote:

It's more a symbolic thing really. With Australia, Canada and New Zealand, we struggle to find our own identities, (Oz and NZ more than Canada.) becoming a republic is really just the final step of us having our own solid national identity.
I understand what you're saying here but you could easily flip that around to support the Monarchists.  They could argue that all three coutries have a history and national identity with the Royal Family being part of that; becoming a Republic wouldn't give you a different history overnight.  You would be starting from scratch and would need to wait hundreds of years before you could say we have a unique history/identity from the rest of the World.  Look at America, they still have moments of identity crisis
JahManRed
wank
+646|6635|IRELAND

I'm in part of the Commonwealth, Northern Ireland and I personally feel that the royal family and all the customs are part of the English way of life and culture and I'm agreeable with that.Every country needs its culture and identity. The royal family and all the English traditions were forced on the Commonwealth through invasion and war erasing 1000s of years of indigenous culture. Part of my Taxes (I'm also in the UK) go to paying for the royal family's opulence, already one of the riches families in the world on their personal fortunes alone. Yet they still get millions from the people.  I say let the English pay for them, they are their Royal Family. I like Charlie and his outspoken views on Architecture and the environment think he could be abit of a maverick when his mum passes on. I think its time for all the countries in the world to shake off their colonial past and stand up on their own and establish your own national identity. Look to the past before colonial rule. Canadians, look to your Native Indian past, Newzelanders look to your Maurie past and so on. I know most ppl in the Commonwealth come from white settlers but still.
[RTC]invaderzim69
+19|6563|newcastle australia
I dont realy care. Being part of the commonwealth now days just involves turning up to the games (and dominating i might add).

p.s. NewZelanders i wouldnt call your PM a woman. She is  seriously very scarry! lol

jj
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6778|AUS, Canberra

jamiecracker wrote:

i think it would be a waste of time and money that could be better spent on health...i magine how much cash it would cost just to change the stationary in all the givernment departments Australia wide
hey with two parents in the public service that stationary took me through school!
BVC
+325|6703
The reason why theres not a New Zealand option is coz the brits just can't bear the thought of us leaving
[RTC]invaderzim69

the_heart_attack wrote:

Hey with two parents in the public service that stationary took me through school!
lol thats funny
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6548|vancouver

JahManRed wrote:

I'm in part of the Commonwealth, Northern Ireland and I personally feel that the royal family and all the customs are part of the English way of life and culture and I'm agreeable with that.Every country needs its culture and identity. The royal family and all the English traditions were forced on the Commonwealth through invasion and war erasing 1000s of years of indigenous culture. Part of my Taxes (I'm also in the UK) go to paying for the royal family's opulence, already one of the riches families in the world on their personal fortunes alone. Yet they still get millions from the people.  I say let the English pay for them, they are their Royal Family. I like Charlie and his outspoken views on Architecture and the environment think he could be abit of a maverick when his mum passes on. I think its time for all the countries in the world to shake off their colonial past and stand up on their own and establish your own national identity. Look to the past before colonial rule. Canadians, look to your Native Indian past, Newzelanders look to your Maurie past and so on. I know most ppl in the Commonwealth come from white settlers but still.
QFE

I'm Canadian and I don't have anything against the royals as individuals but I'm glad they don't get our tax money!  The commonwealth is a throwback to colonialism and frankly, it's a bit weird that the Queen of England's head is on all our money, like we're some kind of outpost or, um... colony.

What exactly are the benefits of being in it, anyway?  I read that link to the BBC and it said something about promoting "economic and social development and the alleviation of poverty".  Crikey, is that how we're the only G8 country actually running a surplus?  Better stay in then, I guess...
dctcool
+27|6739|Gold Coast Aussieland
This is interesting for me

I'm Aussie AND Canadian
[RTC]invaderzim69

dctcool wrote:

I'm Aussie AND Canadian
can i touch you?
jamiecracker
+17|6755|Wollongong,Australia

[RTC]invaderzim69 wrote:

dctcool wrote:

I'm Aussie AND Canadian
can i touch you?
oooooooooooooo nice canadians
Rosse_modest
+76|6783|Antwerp, Flanders
Yes.
Oh wait... We're not in the commonwealth.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard