.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6817|Marathon, Florida Keys
June 6 1944 was the historic D-day invasion into normandy, and it occured 62 years ago to the day.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6705

My grandfather was apart of that.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6687|Broadlands, VA
Just take a moment to remember all those who were in the attack force.

A moment of silence who lost their lives during & after the assault.

A moment of respect for those who lived through it and fought on.
No 1 Gooner
coopj Dependant
+98|6579|England
Both my grandads and so was five of my great uncles. well one of those,my great uncle alec was in the SAS during ww2 but we didnt know till he died in 1977 and got full honours burial! Very proud of em all! i have most of their medals and ribbons too,which i treasure! what they did was amazing!

Last edited by No 1 Gooner (2006-06-06 11:44:02)

=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6634|Britain and Damn proud of it!

Kaosdad008 wrote:

jmarkham
+3|6648|USA
I agree.  Let's honor our heroes on D-Day.  Everyone is talking about 6/6/6 and satanism when we should be honoring our veterans on this special day.

Thanks to all the veterans old and young who put their lives on the line and fight for our country.  I have humble respect for courageous men & women in the military.
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6741|Oslo, Norway

A mere Shadow|= wrote:

Kaosdad008 wrote:

acidkiller187
+123|6638

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Give thanx and Praise xD
jmarkham
+3|6648|USA

Kaosdad008 wrote:

ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6710

jmarkham wrote:

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Viper38
+118|6678

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

jmarkham wrote:

Kaosdad008 wrote:

smg1
+1|6543|Sweden
In Sweden we never fought in ww2 except some border fights up in norway but the germans never declared war. But we we agreed to let the germans bypass our borders to attack Finland and iam not proud of it.
We was a neutral country but not so neutral in my eyes,
Now a silence Minute to the heroes on the Gold,Juno,sword,Utah and Omaha beaches
mp30
Cynicism is an art, right?
+13|6738|It Rarely Rains in Seattle
I am proud to see that at least a few individuals in this forum are not hyped into foolish number references and understand what this day actually does represent.
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6736|Louisiana
Respect to those who gave their lives for our freedom. Our daily troubles seem miniscule when compared to the sacrifices they made.
Black Vaine
+43|6629|K-Town, Sweden
I think I speak for many people when i say... NEVER AGAIN! ... R.I.P all 50 million casualties during the Second World War... and the thousands whom lifes ended on the beach and land of ... Sword – Juno – Gold – Omaha – Utah – Pointe du Hoc – Brécourt Manor – Villers-Bocage – Cherbourg – Epsom – Goodwood – Spring – Cobra – Bluecoat – Lüttich – Totalise – Tractable – Falaise – Brest – Paris.

On the beach

53,700 dead,
18,000 missing
155,000 wounded

On inland :

200,000 dead, wounded and missing
200,000 captured

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Normandy
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6651|England
I am fucking disgusted. Today at school people went around spewing bullshit of how we will all die.

I was probably the only one who remembered the soldiers who lost their lives on that beach or were injured and it made me so depressed.

Tomorrow I wil make it up to the souls of the brave soldiers for putting this crappy date first. God Bless You All.
yerded
Bertinator
+255|6644|Westminster, California

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

jmarkham wrote:

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

True, respect and all, but we're WRITING! Sound dosn't really play an issue.

Serious now:

I've been to the Normandy beaches and seen masses of graves stretched out in a never-ending field of white-lined-green. When you learn on documentarys or books about 12,000 people dying, it's just a number. To see that number represented in white crosses... it's just amazing. You can't get that effect through writings or telivision or even films.

Omaha beach itself - it's eerily calm. It looks like a fairly nice place to have a beach house, but there is a distinct feeling about the place. I saw some people swimming in the water and I kind of felt it wrong. The Maori have a word for something that sacred - Tapu - and I think the landing beaches should be Tapu.
Gold and Sword beaches, the other landing beaches I visited, didn't really give the same feeling, (nor, as a side note, did Anzac cove in Gallipoli,) but one thing that you can do is see the old naval gun emplacements, just as the Allies had left them after they overran the Germans, all spiked and bent.

There is also a cinema you can go there which is kind of interesting, a 360 degree cinema, where you stand in the middle of a circular room and they show images of the countryside and footage of the battles all around you. The strangest thing was that I went there before going to see the battered naval guns, and the film had footage of them in action. It's really quite strange.

Going to Pointe Du Hoc, where a band of US rangers scaled a cliff to take a German garrison on D-Day. They stayed there with no relief after wave after wave of German conter-attacks tried and failed. There the signs of battle are amazingly obvious. The grass hasn't even grown properly in the crater-holes. The concrete and iron workings are still clearly visible, although in a state of repair you'd expect for an area being shelled repeatedly.

I suggest to all of you if you're interested in this history to go to these places. You get something out of it that you can't from books or films. It is still very recent history and the land hasn't changed much so I urge you to go there.

I may post some of my photos if I can get my scanner working later.

Oh yeah, and fuck the 666 meaning of this date. It's happened ever century for ever and nothing bad has happened. Remember those who died in battles not some media-hyped devil day.

Last edited by Tyferra (2006-06-06 17:58:09)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6782|Nova Scotia, Canada

Tyferra wrote:

Oh yeah, and fuck the 666 meaning of this date. It's happened ever century for ever and nothing bad has happened. Remember those who died in battles not some media-hyped devil day.
Yes! There was so much hype about this 666 in school today. I was thinking, don't these people know what today actually is, not just some bullshit superstitious thing.....
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6687|Broadlands, VA
Ty-  Your description of the beaches is profound.  THANK YOU for sharing!
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6724|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Prodie wrote:

Tyferra wrote:

Yes! There was so much hype about this 666 in school today. I was thinking, don't these people know what today actually is, not just some bullshit superstitious thing.....
Amen to that
Darky
Hi..
+71|6569|Here.
Much respect.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6585|Florida
Much respect goes to the people who faught there.
Poppycock
+16|6550|Bellevue, NE
I to honor those who fought and died on D-day. But I would like to specifiy that I support the people fighting on both sides. Many people look over the fact that the Nazi's (while yes, they where commanded to do HORRIBLE things) also fought and died for their counrty. Everyone who fought in these battles should be remembered for what they did. Fought for what they believed in.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6700|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

yerded wrote:

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

jmarkham wrote:

I've talked to some veterans who were there on Omaha Beach and Gold Beach. They are truly some of the bravest men I've talked to, and people I look up to.

Today at my high school, I went around and did a poll asking "What does June 6th mean?" After compiling the numbers, I got this out of 500 people (my school is 3600 people) I asked:

483 told me "It's 6/6/06! Day of the Devil" and other responses along that.
17 told me that "It's D-Day. One of the most important days in history."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard