=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6711|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Here is a 7 min clip from Richard Dawkins' 'Root of All Evil' series on Channel 4, in the UK.  Clinton Richard Dawkins DSc, FRS, FRSL (just known as Richard Dawkins) is a Scientist from Oxford University and has also written many books including the best seller 'The Selfish Gene'; a book about evolutionary science.

In the clip he visits a Pastor from an American Evangelist Church.  It quite quickly becomes apparent that the Pastor's "Christian Values" can be ignored when challenged on the creationism theory.  He becomes arrogant and violent as Dawkins proceeds to make his Bible's version of the events look silly.

Just watch and judge for yourself but if you still feel you have to cling on to belief that there is this magic "God" controlling everything, then at least understand why the rest of us find it weird.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSiLSwFK … all%20evil

Full Episodes (bit torrent)
http://www.torrentz.com/search_root-of-all-evil

P.S.  To UK viewers, there is another good programme on C4 soon called "God's New Army" and is about the possibility of Christian Fundementalism getting more power in The US and its effects.  It's on Monday evening (05/06/06)
=OBS= EstebanRey
Infact, someone has uploaded the whole of the first episode in segments here (they should be in order!!!)

Note:  You may want to pause it when it first starts playing to allow the full file to load.  I have a 6 meg connection and it freezes quite a bit if i try to play the video without waiting.  5 to 10 mins should do...

http://www.youtube.com/?v=CPaD6D54L4o

http://www.youtube.com/?v=TUy-Uq3WuhA

http://www.youtube.com/?v=8GgD3lgspQE

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2006-06-04 08:28:45)

RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6729|Oxford
OMG that was so funny. The scary part is that these people are not in a minority, there are millions of them...
herrr_smity
+156|6788|space command ur anus
if they want to teach "creationism" in schools, then bye bye to reason and free though.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … f+all+Evil
=OBS= EstebanRey

herrr_smity wrote:

if they want to teach "creationism" in schools, then bye bye to reason and free though.

Thanks for the link.  That is the first episode in its entirety and here is the link to 2nd episode.  One woman is actually brougt to tears over her experiences as a child, learning about "hell".

Digital Aura
Git R Dun
+18|6822|Ontario, Canada

herrr_smity wrote:

if they want to teach "creationism" in schools, then bye bye to reason and free thought.
...er...if they want to teach JUST evolution then bye bye to reason and free thought ...I think you mean. Remember. No one can say definitivlely what happened or when... it takes a fair degree of "faith" to believe anything that isn't known for sure.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6854|San Francisco
What would you rather put your faith in?  Something that will never be proved either way (god) or something that has testable patterns and results and is gathering more and more evidence every day, plus something that isn't taught as supreme fact unless what is being taught can be tested and have exact results shown from several different parties (current study of evolution)?

Again, arguing that evolution doesn't belong in a science classroom due it it inhibiting free thought and reason is equal to saying that gravity should be removed as well, since it's still a theory and that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is pushing us all down to the ground with his noodly appendages.
Fred[OZ75]
Jihad Jeep Driver
+19|6920|Perth, Western Australia
Damn... someone used my favorite argument against "it's just a theory", gravity is a fact just how we explain it is a theory... Evolution is a FACT!!! just how we explain it is a theory. Before any creationist claims we don't know how life was first formed well evolution DOES NOT COVER THIS. How life formed from inorganic and organic matter is a completely different study (Abiogenesis).

For the young earth creationists... how come we can see light from BILLIONS of years ago if the entire universe is only 6000 - 10000 years old? (we know this through simple geometry not radio-dating)

In science there is only two remaining strong holds of a "god", how the universe is first formed and how the first living thing came into existence... if you want any chance limit yourselves to these areas of debate.

Also if there is a Christian god why would he (or she or it) make a universe so vast that his primary creation could never see it all?

Last edited by Fred[OZ75] (2006-06-04 21:51:26)

ComradeWho
+50|6855|Southern California

Digital Aura wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

if they want to teach "creationism" in schools, then bye bye to reason and free thought.
...er...if they want to teach JUST evolution then bye bye to reason and free thought ...I think you mean. Remember. No one can say definitivlely what happened or when... it takes a fair degree of "faith" to believe anything that isn't known for sure.
faith and reason are by definition mutually exclusive exclusive, dudicle. faith is defined by a lack of reason - that's what makes it faith.

science is a realm of human activity defined by a set of rules, some of them being scientific method. to be taught a theory in a science class it must be backed up by scientific processes or it is not a science theory. it's really simple. it's just logic. you don't even have to care either way about the outcome of the issue to realize this. there's no reason to teach creationism in a science classroom.  so you might say "ok well we can teach science in science and creationism in another subject" but really - unless i am taking a religious mythology class I don't want to hear the myths of any religion - no matter how popular that might be in the country. if you want to study what people in various religions "believe" our origins are become a religious studies major in college.

I'll try to paraphrase a philosopher named sam harris here: in every area of human life we think that people are insane if they indulge in actions without reasoning. we hold them accountable. if somebody were to tell you that "hitler lives in my ear but don't tell him because he might forget it.. and then i'd have to fly" you would probably think they are disturbed. if you asked them why they think that and they said "i don't have reasons.. i just believe.. i have faith.." you'd think they were crazy. but somehow when we talk about this lack of reasoning in religion it becomes something noble and good.. to "believe" in a magical man in the sky with super power who is watching everything you did and who created the earth in a few days with his magic powers - especially if you have no real reason for believing this is really insane - but when you call it a religious belief and say you have "faith" somehow it becomes different? hmmm.. seems pretty crazy to me.

Last edited by ComradeWho (2006-06-05 02:37:48)

=OBS= EstebanRey

ComradeWho wrote:

I'll try to paraphrase a philosopher named sam harris here: in every area of human life we think that people are insane if they indulge in actions without reasoning. we hold them accountable. if somebody were to tell you that "hitler lives in my ear but don't tell him because he might forget it.. and then i'd have to fly" you would probably think they are disturbed. if you asked them why they think that and they said "i don't have reasons.. i just believe.. i have faith.." you'd think they were crazy. but somehow when we talk about this lack of reasoning in religion it becomes something noble and good.. to "believe" in a magical man in the sky with super power who is watching everything you did and who created the earth in a few days with his magic powers - especially if you have no real reason for believing this is really insane - but when you call it a religious belief and say you have "faith" somehow it becomes different? hmmm.. seems pretty crazy to me.
Good analogy.  Dawkins uses an equally good example in the documentary.  He is challenging those who say you can't disprove that God exists and so believing in him isn't that crazy.  He says, we can't disprove a million things, but that doesn't mean you believe they exist.  If I were to tell you that there was a flying teacup orbiting the sun, you wouldn't be able to disprove it because our telescopes aren't that good but would you believe me just because you couldn't prove I'm wrong?  Now, if we imagine that the story of this celestial teacup gets passed down through the generations, after a while the person who says it doesn't exist is seen as the mad one. 

..and there you have it, Religion in a nutshell......
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6835|Canberra, AUS
ROFL, I want to see Jamdude's reaction when he sees we have our own videos.

Has anyone read 'The Blind Watchmaker'? I want to see what it says on the formation of life - especially on the 'evolution' of proteins.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
=OBS= EstebanRey

Spark wrote:

ROFL, I want to see Jamdude's reaction when he sees we have our own videos.

Has anyone read 'The Blind Watchmaker'? I want to see what it says on the formation of life - especially on the 'evolution' of proteins.
Who's Jamdude?  That is another Richard dawkins book is it not?  I've not read it but are you interested because you're religious or scientific?
SonofASniper
Pump It Baby, Pump it!
+34|6697|Oregon
Ah well that was an interesting quick clip.  I havn't watched the whole program, yet, but I have seen quite a bit of it in the past.

I would like to point out that on the clip, Dawkins is also fairly hostile as well.  Both of them are really.  Dawkins has a little bit of an upper hand because he has the power of editing and also the power of the audience that he is doing this program for.  My general feeling was that Dawkins was simply lecturing to a group of viewers whom he believed all ready agreed with him.  If he was trying to present his views in a way that he hoped would compel a creationist to accept darwinsm, then Dawkins failed.  He failed because he followed the same premise that people in general follow by simply attacking another person's views in a conversation rather than presenting their own views logically, diplomaticaly, and in a calm matter.  Although I admit, the paster could have handled himself better as well, but he was obviously not prepared to debate on the level that Dawkins was and consequently resorted to being hostile rather than "lose face".

In regards to the subject of Creationism Vs. Science, the scientific community is divided.  There is no conclusive evidence which proves either theory one hundred percent correct.  There is evidence that can be used to support either argument however, and (depending on which view hold) many "experts" quickly grab on to those evidences and tout them around as irrefutable proof that they are correct. 

The key evidence that is still needed to conclusively prove either theory, in my opinion, is:  1.) God appearing before each and every person in full and complete magnificent glory, or 2.) Scientists discovering the process that originally created complex life, like what we know, and being able to consistantly repeat it.   Give them around 10 billion years, they should be able to find it by then.

Until either one of those occurs, it really takes quite a bit of faith to believe in either theory.  I would personally like to see both theories presented in public schools here in the USA.  Not a specific religion presented in regards to Creation, but just the theory that we were created by a diety. Leave the religion specifics to a theology class.  There is ample scientific subject matter that could be included to present the Creation theory right alongside the evolution theory.  That would make a good science class and would give students the opurtunity to review both sides and make their own informed decisions. 

Well that is enough for me right now.  I will just sit back and watch the flamers from both sides come out of the woodwork.  Hopefully though, this will spark some good conversation.  I have not had a good evolution vs. creation debate in a long time.

SOS
SonofASniper
Pump It Baby, Pump it!
+34|6697|Oregon

ComradeWho wrote:

science is a realm of human activity defined by a set of rules, some of them being scientific method. to be taught a theory in a science class it must be backed up by scientific processes or it is not a science theory. it's really simple. it's just logic.
Actually, a theory is a belief.  A scientist will form a theory.  They will form a theory that they beleive is correct based on certain evidences, phenomenon, witnessed events, etc. and then set about to prove or disprove that theory by using the rules set forth by the Scientific Method.  Until then the theory is technically not accepted as correct or incorrect.  It is simply a theory, or belief, that is put forth by a scientist or group of scientists.  If it is proved incorrect, than that theory will no longer be valid.  If it is proved correct, then it becomes a scientific law. However, some scientific laws have been rendered invalid at a later time through further study using the Scientific Method. 

I have a theory that I am actually a multi-millionaire.  I would desparately like to prove that theory as valid. However, by using the Scientific Method, I can quite quickly and conclusively prove that I am not a multi-millionare, but instead I am an average person who has debt.

SOS
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6927|UK
I dont believe in god or anything but some science is made up like the strong nuclear force, the only reason we believe it exists is because there has to be something holding a nucleus together. Just pointing out not all taught science is backed up with evidence.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6998
todays science is tomorrows antiquity. beware the miasma !
pfc_toecutter
meatshield
+38|6779|Houston, TX
Just a quick thought...  If God created us in his image, it stands that science would be part of that package.  Or is science of the devil?  What do these fundamentalists think of science?
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
Science is only against young-earth creationists. The guy in that video looked kinda crazy. Richard Dawkins should have talked to Jonathan Wells about evolution and creation, not a pastor.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-06-05 08:06:53)

ComradeWho
+50|6855|Southern California

SonofASniper wrote:

ComradeWho wrote:

science is a realm of human activity defined by a set of rules, some of them being scientific method. to be taught a theory in a science class it must be backed up by scientific processes or it is not a science theory. it's really simple. it's just logic.
Actually, a theory is a belief.  A scientist will form a theory.  They will form a theory that they beleive is correct based on certain evidences, phenomenon, witnessed events, etc. and then set about to prove or disprove that theory by using the rules set forth by the Scientific Method.  Until then the theory is technically not accepted as correct or incorrect.  It is simply a theory, or belief, that is put forth by a scientist or group of scientists.  If it is proved incorrect, than that theory will no longer be valid.  If it is proved correct, then it becomes a scientific law. However, some scientific laws have been rendered invalid at a later time through further study using the Scientific Method. 

I have a theory that I am actually a multi-millionaire.  I would desparately like to prove that theory as valid. However, by using the Scientific Method, I can quite quickly and conclusively prove that I am not a multi-millionare, but instead I am an average person who has debt.

SOS
calling hypothesis belief is a bit of a stretch, especially when using it in a debate about how religious beliefs based on faith (or beliefs defined by a lack of evidence) are combatting scientific theory, and where the point of one side of the argument is that religious belief should be taught in school in science along side scientific theory, because they're "all beliefs." The underlying argument in your post is one that supports this position. I think that I've explained why that is absurd sufficiently.
=OBS= EstebanRey
As Dawkins says in the video, it's the creationists that call evolution a theory, anyone involved in the field calls it fact.......
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
Thats about as accurate as it gets ^
herrr_smity
+156|6788|space command ur anus
all creationists can just stfu ffs
remo
+20|6737
This argument has been going on for as long as there has been written history.  It's just that up until recent history, the church is taking a backseat in the power struggle.  Science is a lot more visible now, and not relegated just to "wizards" and "witches" ... the struggle continues.

Just be glad it isn't like the olden days ... people were hung and burned at the stake for being scientists as early as 200 years ago.  Now if we could only get rid of this stupid "holy war" bullshit we might actually have a chance at getting along as a human race.
SonofASniper
Pump It Baby, Pump it!
+34|6697|Oregon

ComradeWho wrote:

calling hypothesis belief is a bit of a stretch, especially when using it in a debate about how religious beliefs based on faith (or beliefs defined by a lack of evidence) are combatting scientific theory, and where the point of one side of the argument is that religious belief should be taught in school in science along side scientific theory, because they're "all beliefs." The underlying argument in your post is one that supports this position. I think that I've explained why that is absurd sufficiently.
I am trying keep the quotes short, otherwise soon they will turn into multiple pages *LOL*.

First I would like to point out that just because you gave one version of the definitions of words and then made a well written explanation does not mean that you have magically explained your point of view so that all will see the "light".  Never make that assumption in a debate of this nature. You will hardly ever win someone's belief into your side of the argument, and you will more often alienate people to your belief. 

I am engaging in this debate primarily because it is fun.  I enjoy having intelligent conversations with people in general, irregardless of their view.   I am happy to argue either side of evolution vs. creation.  In this forum it appears there are resoundingly more evolutionists then creationists, so I am leaning more towards argueing against evolution.  Now with that in mind....

Theory and a Hypothesis are actually synonems.  The primary difference is that a Theory has a little more evidence than a Hypothesis, but a Theory is still an unproven set of thoughts.     

I am assuming that you are using Wikipedia online definitions here.  One of the problems with relying on Wikipedia is that it can be very eaily edited by anyone, which in turn makes it reflects the bias of the current auther.  Another problem is that Wikipedia usually defines through word usage in an article, rather than giving an actual definition.  Wikipedia is a good resource, and I accept its use in this debate because anyone can look at it.  I would also like to submit Webster.com as a dictionary.   Webster's Dictionary has tighter controls on definitions, and give's good, broad definitions usually without bias. 

Paraphrasing parts of the Webster definiton, Theory is explained as "a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action" or as "an unproved assumption".  Paraphrasing the webster definiton of Belief is explained as "a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing".

In regards to your argument.  You have a belief in a thing, evolutional theory.  A creationist has a belief in a person, a diety.    By definition it is in no way a stretch for me to say that evolution is a belief that requires a certain amount of faith.  Belief and faith are part of the human core.  Everything that each individual does is effected by the beliefs that they uphold and the faith they put into them. 

Creationism is a viable theory that, in my opinion, should be taught along side Evolutionary theory.  There is scientific evidence available that would support either side.   Teaching pure Creationism would not be teaching a specific religuous belief.  It would simply be teaching the theory that we were created by a diety. Keep in mind that prior to the Scope's Monkey Trial,  Creationism was the sole theory that was taught in schools, at that time it was taught strictly from a Christian view.  The Scope's Monkey Trial challenged that under Freedom of Religion and Separation of Church and State.    Today, however, we could certainly teach Creation theory alongside Evolutionary theory without teaching a religious view.  In actuality, that has started in some school districts now thanks to some inteligent and involved parents filing the correct complaints and lawsuits. 

SOS
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6927|UK

remo wrote:

This argument has been going on for as long as there has been written history.  It's just that up until recent history, the church is taking a backseat in the power struggle.  Science is a lot more visible now, and not relegated just to "wizards" and "witches" ... the struggle continues.

Just be glad it isn't like the olden days ... people were hung and burned at the stake for being scientists as early as 200 years ago.  Now if we could only get rid of this stupid "holy war" bullshit we might actually have a chance at getting along as a human race.
exactly, down with religion, down with religion, down wi.......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard