JudgeDredd1824
+32|6673|Wigan an proud of it mate !

JG1567JG wrote:

If you dont like the commercials dictating the sport in america then blame the network tv stations not the sport since they are the ones that put the commercials in.
I do, thats why my first post bitched about the management of the sport not the sport itself. The networks don't get away with this crap without the sports teams managements agreement.  Let me quote myself:

"back to the original post, American sports are not crap... Its the people running those sports that are wankers. If it wasn't for those twats, then Baseball, American Football etc, would be fun to watch and play, and be a great addition to the "world" of sports."
JG1567JG
+110|6607|United States of America
What does the management do that you dont like in these sports?
JG1567JG
The networks have to sell commercials to make money.  The NFL and other sports only work out deals to get their cut of the money.  They dont actually get any money from the commercials all their money is worked out in multi-year tv rights to certain stations.  In NFL football certain stations get sunday games and another gets the sunday night game and another gets the monday night game all worked out before any commercials are sold.  The NFL just chaanged the sunday night and monday night games.  ABC will no longer hold the monday night game. I think ESPN has monday and ABC might have gotten the sunday night game. ABC has had the monday night game for probably about 20 yrs or more.  Just some info from america

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-06-02 11:09:52)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6569|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

JG1567JG wrote:

Not ment to flame anybody but those of you that pay attention to the world cup and soccer about how many players can you name from your team and other teams.  I could probably name at least 100 NFL players just off the top of my head but that is the sport that I like to follow.  I'm just curious as to weather it is the sport of soccer/football that you like or the national rivalry that goes on when two teams play.

Edit--->The commercials and timeouts give you time to check on the other games going on.
No it's the game of football I like.  Our main rivalries are our neighbours (n.i, wales, scots) and Germany (for obvious reasons) and although there is a hightened sense of excitement when we play these teams I ma just has happy watching us play Lithuania. 

JG1567JG here are some good examples of great play (there are goals too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bWsOK- … ronaldinho
JudgeDredd1824

JG1567JG wrote:

What does the management do that you dont like in these sports?
Put profit over the game itself. Please don't tell me that you agree with hundreds of commercials interlaced with the game. No-one would or should think that is a good thing. Let the guys play their sport without interruption from outside influences.
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6777|MA, USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

3 out of six is half of the World, not quite all over the World.
I notice you declined to quote what I said about a majority of the world's population.  Anyway, you are splitting hairs.  The point is that it is very widely played outside of the US, and that really isn't debatable.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

whittsend wrote:

I interpreted this:

The Economist wrote:

The co-operative arrangements also make costs stable and predictable. Mr Vrooman reckons that even if another American sports league, or a big European football league, were to have similar cashflows to the NFL, the American league's teams would still be 50-60% more valuable because their business is so much less risky.
To be referring to European Soccer leagues.  This is a British journal, so Football=Soccer.  The clear implication of this statement is that the cashflow of the NFL is higher than other American sports and European Football leagues.  Seems simple to me.
It says if "A" European Football league were to compete, singular.  The Premiership, La Liga, Serie A and The Bundesliga combined would dwarf the NHL, and tha's not mentioning the rest of the other big non-European leagues and other smaller Euro leagues.
So what you are saying is that if you combined every Soccer league in the world they would make more money than the NFL?  Which means what?  That the rest of the world combined manages to just edge past one sports league in the US?  I'm sure that would tickle the NFL mightily.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

This just shows your ignorance to economics and maths.  The reason it costs more to advertise per second with the Superbowl is because it reaches a massive number of rich Americans whereas the World Cup has to cater for markets of many economic climates.  America is the richest country in the world remember!
Revenue generation is based making the most you can.  They can make a lot.  I don't see how that changes anything.  In any case, I'm sure you will find that most of the money the World Cup will generate comes from wealthy Europeans.  It really doesn't matter, the 'where's' of it aren't at issue.
Edit: What I wrote here was argumentative, so I changed it.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Secondly, you're wrong and I can prove it.  Read this article here and then it's time for a small maths test...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business … 39,00.html

Okay, so the world cup will generate 1 billion dollars in advertising revenue, the Superbowel gets $2 millions per 30 secs of advertising. So,

1,000,000,000 divided by 2,000,000 = 500...times 30 secs = 15,000 sec = 250mins = 4.2 hours.

So the Superbowl would have to sell 4.2 hours of advertising to generate the same amount as the Wotld Cup.  Somehow, I don't think so.......
Just out of curiosity, how many hours will it take the World Cup to generate what the Superbowl could generate in 4.2 hours?

The Observer wrote:

ZenithOptimedia says the amount spent by the world's leading companies on TV commercials, press advertisements and outdoor advertising will break the $1bn barrier for the first time....

The Olympics remains the world's biggest sporting event in terms of advertising spend, mainly because it attracts large television audiences in America. Despite global popularity, football is still a minority sport in the world's largest advertising market.
Now, $1Bn is a lot of money, and it might very well be that, over the whole month of the contest, the World Cup may generate more revenue than the Superbowl (I can't be sure, I haven't found bottom line figures for either one).  Nevertheless, there are a few important points one must to consider:  The whole $1Bn isn't all revenue for the world cup.  To be fair, neither is the $2M/30s all revenue for the NFL.  Even so, the World Cup is a month long contest with many games, while the Superbowl is one game.  Pro rate the income in any way you care to, and it is clear that the Superbowl is huge.  Given the amount of money it generates in ONE GAME I'd say it is still easily in the running for the biggest sport event.  That is, I concede, a matter of opinion at this point (we are never going to agree on how to measure it) but the fact that it is even in serious contention against an event consisting of, for all intents and purposes, the entire world, shows just how big it is.

I don't think you are taking the revenue generated by the NFL seriously.  This Time article is titled 'The American Cash Machine.'  And note that all the money they talk about is revenue which goes straight to the NFL.

http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article/0,9171,1009631-2,00.html  wrote:

The real winner, as it is every Sunday, is the National Football League. "We compete against each other for three hours a week," says Robert Kraft, owner of the defending-champion Patriots, speaking of his gridiron adversaries. "Otherwise we have aligned interests."

Exquisitely aligned, in fact. Call it the m formation, as in money. In a world of $100 million players, $1 billion franchises and $10 billion television contracts, the scale of the sports industry has grown dramatically in just the past decade. More than any other league, the NFL has been able to capture that rising value while profitably using technology like the Web to reach fans in new ways...

Last month the NFL renewed two network TV dealswith CBS, a division of Viacom, and with Fox, a division of News Corp.that will guarantee $8 billion for broadcast rights from 2006 to 2011. Another News Corp sibling, DirecTV, is paying $3.5 billion for satellite rights through 2010. There are still cable and Monday Night Football deals to be concluded. Finalizing them will mean that 52% of the league's revenues are in the bag. And that's just the television money. The league sells about 94% of its available seats, and many teams have waiting lists for season tickets. There are long-term naming rights to stadiums and signage and luxury-box deals. Merchandise? About $3 billion at retail annually.
If you extrapolate that out, assuming that the cable and Monday night deal is worth about $2.5B/yr combined, we are talking on the order of $9Bn in revenues ANNUALLY.  That's a hell of a lot of cash.

Last edited by whittsend (2006-06-02 11:38:27)

spacepelle
Kniven Gaffeln Skeden
+37|6684|Sweden

howler_27 wrote:

They aren't shit, and they are played all over the world. World league football,as well as  baseball, and basketball.  Please feel free to do some research before you post something as biased as your statement.

And as for football(soccer), I prefer not to support a sport who's fans throw bags of blood and urine at the opposing team.  The last time that I checked, I didn't see the fans in the stands erupt into killings, riots, and fires that destroyed stadiums due to differences between two teams fans.   Hooligans suck, low scoring games suck, and basiclly futbol sucks in my book.
Please feel free to do some research before you post something as biased as your statement.
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6777|MA, USA
And to whoever -Karma'd me for this post:

whittsend wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Someone gave me -1 saying 'have I ever been to the US and played these sports..no..so stfu'
That is unfortunate...people shouldn't give - karma because they disagree with the opinions of others.  Having said that...what the hell did you expect?  You come in here spouting blatant anti-american opinions, and then you are surprised when someone gets pissed off?  Get real.
That's just lame.  The fact that you wouldn't even comment or identify yourself is even more lame.
JG1567JG
I dont like the commercials except in the Superbowl.  The commercials are taken at strategic times during American Football.  During timeouts and inbetween plays.  Sometimes they will cut to a commercial and just show one commercial since the game started back then they will go back to commercial say inbetween plays or ball possesion change. 

I do agree that nobody that wants to watch their team in any sport wants to be interrupted by commercials but that is a chance to see how other teams are doing or grab another BEER
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6568|Southeastern USA
You forgot bury the bone and pocket pool!!!!

and please do get started on American cars, keeping in mind that Mick's AC Cobra is actually an AC Ace given steroids by Aston-Martin's top driver, Carroll Shelby, an American. Racing is a sporting phenomena in the US. People do it legally on tracks in their spare time. Not to say I don't like those awesome Iceland uphill rockclimbing, and those Aussie Falcons (new and classic) are the Shizznit. You'll be hard pressed to find a car manufactured anywhere without an American influence in it's design, save a few like the Nissan Skyline or the TVR Cerbera. A small example of this is the fact that Ford owns; Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, MAZDA, VOLVO, JAGUAR, ASTON-MARTIN, AND ROVER.

can I borrow the cluebat?
JudgeDredd1824

JG1567JG wrote:

I dont like the commercials except in the Superbowl.  The commercials are taken at strategic times during American Football.  During timeouts and inbetween plays.  Sometimes they will cut to a commercial and just show one commercial since the game started back then they will go back to commercial say inbetween plays or ball possesion change. 

I do agree that nobody that wants to watch their team in any sport wants to be interrupted by commercials but that is a chance to see how other teams are doing or grab another BEER
Grab another beer ? That's what my wife's for. She's gotta be useful for something !
JG1567JG
Any car on the road has an American Influence since we invented the wheel.
That neanderthall man was American you know.    J/K

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-06-02 11:34:28)

JudgeDredd1824

JG1567JG wrote:

Any car on the road has an American Influence since we invented the wheel.  J/K
And not forgetting "drive by shooting"...
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6568|Southeastern USA
In addition to inventing air with which to combust the fuel.
alpinestar
+304|6615|New York City baby.
sports are what media makes them to be this is true for US, sports are what people make them to be this is true for the rest of the world
JG1567JG

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

Easy JudgeDredd thats for a different thread and I dont want to get started.
JudgeDredd1824

JG1567JG wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

LOL........
JudgeDredd1824

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

LOL........
Course you do know that drive-by's are only possible coz of the US's fascination with automatic transmissions (only one hand needed to drive). Us stone-age Brits prefer a "stick-shift" as you call 'em (need both hands hence no drive-by's).
Maybe we should introduce legislation to outlaw auto-trannies, might reduce the drive-by problems
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6569|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Whittsend - You're going off the trail with this debate.  The original question was why are Americans sports only played in America when the rest of the doesn't care and you keep trying to have an argument about how big the NHl is compared to any single European Football League.  This is not about what is the biggest league in the world and I will concede that the NFL is probably the richest league but I would query whether it was the most watched.  This is how the sport as a whole and Soccer dwarfs (not slightly, dwarfs) American football in every department.  NFL gets a lot of viewrs because America has a big population and since you want to compare this a "single game basis" then the Superbowl is just a final of the tournament so let's compare it to the the World Cup Final itself.....

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/32295

100million views versus over 1 billion!!!!

See, natural chauvanism to assum the SB, ergo typical US attitude.....

P.S In that quote from times it says "$100 million players", well Chelsea offered Barcalona £50 million for Samuel Eto'o which is more than $100m so you can't even say individual players are worth more...

kr@cker wrote:

You forgot bury the bone and pocket pool!!!!

and please do get started on American cars, keeping in mind that Mick's AC Cobra is actually an AC Ace given steroids by Aston-Martin's top driver, Carroll Shelby, an American. Racing is a sporting phenomena in the US. People do it legally on tracks in their spare time. Not to say I don't like those awesome Iceland uphill rockclimbing, and those Aussie Falcons (new and classic) are the Shizznit. You'll be hard pressed to find a car manufactured anywhere without an American influence in it's design, save a few like the Nissan Skyline or the TVR Cerbera. A small example of this is the fact that Ford owns; Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, MAZDA, VOLVO, JAGUAR, ASTON-MARTIN, AND ROVER.

can I borrow the cluebat?
You obviously haven't watched Top Gear then?  They hate American cars and I must agree, the Chevy is shite!  Just because Ford "own" those brands that is just intellectual property rights and the cars are still designed, produced and made in the countries they orginated.  I would call the mini a British car even though technically Germans own the branding now. I have had many discussions with Americans and lots of them are willing to admit they prefer European/Japanese cars.

And on the same subject, NASCAR is certainly only followed in the US and is tiny in comparison to F1 which the rest of the World follows.  Sick money involved in that sport!!!!!

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2006-06-02 11:55:22)

l41e
+677|6667

So we play our own sports, what's it to you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

Well, by at this point I think we all know that the OP based that post on opinion rather than fact.
l41e
+677|6667

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Well, by at this point I think we all know that the OP based that post on opinion rather than fact.
topthrill05
+125|6597|Rochester NY USA
Baseball = Best sport. IMO
IA_Ace_oF_H4DES
+1|6674|The Cat House

RicardoBlanco wrote:

e.g american football, baseball, basketball (to a lesser extent).

They are played almost solely in the US and the rest of the world has very little interest. European sports on the other hand, e.g Football, Rugby, Cricket are played by million all over the world.

Is this proof that american sports are indeed SHIT or are we missing something?

*I'd like to amend the title of this topic to read 'Are american sports shit?'. The current one is a little too much of a statement and this was unfair. Unfortunately it won't let me.
Hey you stupid assclown, let me ask you a question........

What is the USA's FIFA world  ranking?  5th.......in the whole god damn world.  What is Englands?  10th....... I guess that means the we are better playing "your" sport than you are.  Its gotta hurt you to know that soccer is a distant 4th in popularity over here, but yet we still are pumping out quality players (does Casey Keller and Tim Howard ring a bell?), and have the MLS (although not the best quality soccer), and we can still grab a #5 ranking in the world. Go brush your teeth buddy.

I cant believe you would post this gibberish.  How much money, revenue wise, does cricket make worldwide versus NFL Football?  I would venture that the SuperBowl, which boasts being televised to over 700 million homes, makes quite a bit more than the "Limey Bloke Cricket Championships".  You wanna know why alot of countries play "your" sports?  Look in the history books at how many countries have been "colonized" by England over the last 400 years.  Do you think India would've ever played cricket if you didnt set up shop over there?  NO!!!!  How about South Africa????? NO!!!!  Carribean Islands??????  NO!!!!!!

How many places has the USA colonized?  Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.  Thats why our sports isnt played in countries throughout the world.  We didnt Occupy lesser countries for 200-300 years and impose our sports on them.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6645|Sea to globally-cooled sea
My favorite sport is hockey

and most of the guys in the NHL aren't american, either.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard