Should using .50 Caliber weapons against humans be illegal

Yes21%21% - 81
No78%78% - 296
Total: 377
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

mikkel wrote:

Nice selective quoting there
A bit of the pot calling the kettle black, really.

whittsend wrote:

mikkel wrote:

I'm kinda torn on the subject, and just trying to add some weight to the other side. I think being able to bury your loved ones intact and preferably in an open casket makes things a lot easier on the survivers. I know my grudge would be a lot more intense if some invading country literally shot him to pieces than if he could be laid to rest peacefully. War is brutal, and war should be brutal at times, but some things really should be avoided if possible, not for the sake of combat, but for the sake of human decency.
I don't think I'm missing anything:  You believe that .50s tear up bodies, and therefore should be avoided.  Contrary to your protestations to the contrary YOU HAVE NOT OFFERED ANY OTHER REASON WHY .50s SHOULD NOT BE USED AGAINST INFANTRY.  I believe that is a pretty poor reason for limiting their use.  If I missed something, please clarify.
Yes. And .50's are far from being the only conventional weapon capable of tearing a body apart or otherwise rendering it beyond recognition. The argument for why they should be banned when others are left in use is beyond me.
scouseclarky
+10|6599
rdx-fx have you actually fire a 5.56 at a paper target then gone and checked the target after wards i have and you get normal bullet holes as well as elongated bullet holes i know the 5.56 tumbles because as a former British army medic I've seen the training videos of actual wounds inflicted by rifles like a soldier hit in the clavicle in the Falklands war it hit his collar bone and bounced around his body before exiting through his groin the damage caused by a 5.56 mm round is one of the reasons the SA-80 is the standard weapon of the British army it replaced the 7.62 mm SLR (self loading rifle)
scouseclarky
+10|6599

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

heres something you might be able to clear up

whats the difference between the 5.56 rounds with the green tip and the 5.56 rounds without.  i always thought the ones without were the older versions of the ammo that will work with the older m16's and the ones with the green wont

you know what im talking bout
i dont know mate i thought they were tracer rounds the same as the red tipped ones just differnt coulor of magneium used and differnt distance before it ignited
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662
25mm HE from the Bushmaster turns people into speghetti with meatsauce and anyone standing near the trajectory, but the splash damage kinda blows.
scouseclarky
+10|6599
7.62 general purpose machine gun or gpmg fire creates what is know in a beating zone ( cone shaped) anything inside that zone gets turned as my instructor used to say into pink mushy stuff unfortunately you have to change the barrel every 1000 rounds as it warps due to heat and when used in sf role it can fire a lot of round
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662

scouseclarky wrote:

7.62 general purpose machine gun or gpmg fire creates what is know in a beating zone ( cone shaped) anything inside that zone gets turned as my instructor used to say into pink mushy stuff unfortunately you have to change the barrel every 1000 rounds as it warps due to heat and when used in sf role it can fire a lot of round
switch out or completely replace it?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6673|United States of America

scouseclarky wrote:

rdx-fx have you actually fire a 5.56 at a paper target then gone and checked the target after wards i have and you get normal bullet holes as well as elongated bullet holes i know the 5.56 tumbles because as a former British army medic I've seen the training videos of actual wounds inflicted by rifles like a soldier hit in the clavicle in the Falklands war it hit his collar bone and bounced around his body before exiting through his groin the damage caused by a 5.56 mm round is one of the reasons the SA-80 is the standard weapon of the British army it replaced the 7.62 mm SLR (self loading rifle)
Yeah, you shoot a bullet though jungle foliage and it will tumble and richocette.  I have shoot many many rounds.  .223 out of a rifle do not tumble in air.  Any bullet tumbling at 2500+ fps muzzle velocity would not hit anything at 100+ yards or have any downrange energy/velocity.  Anyone suggesting that the army had deployed such a gun is not very smart on the subject.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662

rdx-fx wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

heres something you might be able to clear up

whats the difference between the 5.56 rounds with the green tip and the 5.56 rounds without.  i always thought the ones without were the older versions of the ammo that will work with the older m16's and the ones with the green wont

you know what im talking bout
Green Tip 5.56mm is the M855, used for M249 and M4/M16's model A2/A3/A4 (not the M16A1, though)
Heavier bullet - more energy, more powder (more velocity).  M16A1 barrels don't have enough twist to stabilize it.

Standard 5.56mm was the M193, used for the M16A1. 

M193 can be used in any of the above weapons, M855 'green tip' should only be used in the newer A2+ weapons and SAW.  M16A2/A3/A4 and SAW have more than enough twist to stabilize the M193, but the M16A1 has just enough to stabilize the M193 and not nearly enough for the newer M855.

..Hmm..  y'know, you might get tumbler effect from using the M855 in an M16A1 - but your accuracy would be horrid past 100-150m....
bullet science kicks ass. is it true 5.56 rounds from an M4 rise and drop after like 200 meters
scouseclarky
+10|6599
just change the barrel it only takes a couple of seconds but in a fire fight  those lost seconds count

rdx-fx i cant tell you about us weapons but i can tell you that the rounds from a l98a2 can and do tumble when they hit a human target yet the weapon is still accurate and effective up to 900 meters
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662

Major_Spittle wrote:

scouseclarky wrote:

Yeah, you shoot a bullet though jungle foliage and it will tumble and richocette.  I have shoot many many rounds.  .223 out of a rifle do not tumble in air.  Any bullet tumbling at 2500+ fps muzzle velocity would not hit anything at 100+ yards or have any downrange energy/velocity.  Anyone suggesting that the army had deployed such a gun is not very smart on the subject.
gun? when did artillery get in this. you were in the army right?
l41e
+677|6666

If using .50 cals were illegal, then why for the love of God would B-52s, cruise missiles, and the 5-inch guns on destroyers be legal?
scouseclarky
+10|6599
all ammo does it leaves the barrel and arcs it never travels straight to the target which is y if you engage a target at 300 meters and your sights are set at 300 you have to aim higher
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6776|MA, USA

mikkel wrote:

whittsend wrote:

mikkel wrote:

It's never good to lower chances in war, but I don't fully agree that the needs of war transcend human decency. If extreme range is needed, and no other ammunition can do what the .50cal can do, then we're back to where I'm saying that I'm not against it if it can't be avoided.
You understand the inherent contradiction in saying that war need not transcend human decency, I hope?
War is inevitable. It doesn't mean you have to go about it in the worst possible way.
I'll take that as a 'no'.  To concede an andvantage in war for humanitarian reasons only, is suicide.  War exists because someone believes a point is worth killing over.  If it is important enough to kill over, you can be sure that the killing will not always be nice.  While I would agree that deliberate cruelty as an end itself is wrong and uneccesary, you seem to be unwilling to concede that some cruelty is incedental, yet purposed, delibarate and necessary.   An example of this is the .50.  Giving up it's use against infantry is to concede an advantage.  If one is willing to concede an advantage in this way, one has no business going to war in the first place; if one is willing to kill over a point, than simple concern for the disposition of an enemy soldier cannot be considered more important than the point.  If it is, the point isn't worth killing over, QED.  The only way I can make this clearer to you, is to invite you to sign up and put yourself on the line.

mikkel wrote:

whittsend wrote:

Given that no other ammunition can do what the .50 can do, I guess you aren't against it after all.
You're getting closer, but you're overshooting. The world isn't black and white. Read and comprehend my posts and you'll spot my stand.
And you say you don't tapdance.

Given this:

mikkel wrote:

If extreme range is needed, and no other ammunition can do what the .50cal can do, then we're back to where I'm saying that I'm not against it if it can't be avoided.
and this:

whittsend wrote:

no other ammunition can do what the .50 can do
Then this:

whittsend wrote:

you aren't against it after all.
I know what you are thinking...you are thinking,"I said, 'if it can't be avoided!'"  But seriously, how do you think it is going to be avoided?  A sniper staring through a scope on a .50 is not going to switch weapons if his target is within range of his 7.62, and to suggest that he should is ridiculous.

Here's black and white for you:  If you are holding a weapon, regardless of your duty position, and an enemy comes into range of that weapon, you fire.  If your weapon system is not capable of taking out that soldier you MIGHT try to switch to one that is, but you will not EVER switch to one of a lesser capability, even if it is within that weapon's capability to take out the enemy.  By the time you do, you will have probably lost the shot.

If you can find a soldier with combat experience who disagrees with that I will be very surprised.  If you find me someone with no combat experience who disagrees, that person simply doesn't know.

If you do not believe that the soldier should switch weapons (i.e. that having the .50 in hand causes the incident to fall into the category of 'cannot be avoided') then I submit to you that there is NO situation in which a .50 is currently employed which you would disagree with, as few snipers carry two long arms on a mission.  If I am wrong, I invite you to illustrate with a hypothetical situation in which you believe the use of a .50 is wrong.

Last edited by whittsend (2006-06-01 12:01:12)

scouseclarky
+10|6599

Major_Spittle wrote:

scouseclarky wrote:

read what i wrote then call me thick i never said it tumbles through the air i said it leaves the barely slightly off its center of gravity which means when it hits the target IE your chest it (tumbles) ricochets around the body. please read properly before you make a stupid comment
scouseclarky
+10|6599
o yeah i nearly forgot to mention that 5.56 ammo does not leave the muzzle of a rifle at 2500+ fps the SA80 has a muzzle velocity of 956 fps the lsw or light support weapon ( basically a longer version of the SA80 has a mv of 980 fps i would like to see a 5.56 mm rifle with a muzzle velocity as high as u described it it would break most of the record for rifles and probably your shoulder with the recoil it would have
scouseclarky
+10|6599

whittsend wrote:

mikkel wrote:

whittsend wrote:

You understand the inherent contradiction in saying that war need not transcend human decency, I hope?
War is inevitable. It doesn't mean you have to go about it in the worst possible way.
I'll take that as a 'no'.  To concede an andvantage in war for humanitarian reasons only, is suicide.  War exists because someone believes a point is worth killing over.  If it is important enough to kill over, you can be sure that the killing will not always be nice.  While I would agree that deliberate cruelty as an end itself is wrong and uneccesary, you seem to be unwilling to concede that some cruelty is incedental, yet purposed, delibarate and necessary.   An example of this is the .50.  Giving up it's use against infantry is to concede an advantage.  If one is willing to concede an advantage in this way, one has no business going to war in the first place; if one is willing to kill over a point, than simple concern for the disposition of an enemy soldier cannot be considered more important than the point.  If it is, the point isn't worth killing over, QED.  The only way I can make this clearer to you, is to invite you to sign up and put yourself on the line.

mikkel wrote:

whittsend wrote:

Given that no other ammunition can do what the .50 can do, I guess you aren't against it after all.
You're getting closer, but you're overshooting. The world isn't black and white. Read and comprehend my posts and you'll spot my stand.
And you say you don't tapdance.

Given this:

mikkel wrote:

If extreme range is needed, and no other ammunition can do what the .50cal can do, then we're back to where I'm saying that I'm not against it if it can't be avoided.
and this:

whittsend wrote:

no other ammunition can do what the .50 can do
Then this:

whittsend wrote:

you aren't against it after all.
I know what you are thinking...you are thinking,"I said, 'if it can't be avoided!'"  But seriously, how do you think it is going to be avoided?  A sniper staring through a scope on a .50 is not going to switch weapons if his target is within range of his 7.62, and to suggest that he should is ridiculous.

Here's black and white for you:  If you are holding a weapon, regardless of your duty position, and an enemy comes into range of that weapon, you fire.  If your weapon system is not capable of taking out that soldier you MIGHT try to switch to one that is, but you will not EVER switch to one of a lesser capability, even if it is within that weapon's capability to take out the enemy.  By the time you do, you will have probably lost the shot.

If you can find a soldier with combat experience who disagrees with that I will be very surprised.  If you find me someone with no combat experience who disagrees, that person simply doesn't know.

If you do not believe that the soldier should switch weapons (i.e. that having the .50 in hand causes the incident to fall into the category of 'cannot be avoided') then I submit to you that there is NO situation in which a .50 is currently employed which you would disagree with, as few snipers carry two long arms on a mission.  If I am wrong, I invite you to illustrate with a hypothetical situation in which you believe the use of a .50 is wrong.
the use of a 50 cal would be unwarneted in the ocupational role of pest control lol
scouseclarky
+10|6599
i cant tell u y it does it i just know that even if a 5.56 mm round fire from a brand new SA-80 hits flesh it will tumble and tear trough flesh rather than punch through
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6673|United States of America

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

scouseclarky wrote:

This is my weapon this is my gun..... I was in Armor, we shot guns.  Big ones, little ones.  Do I have to talk about "weapons" by nomenclature on this forum now???? About deploying weapons????  The only thing military I deploy now is the P38 on my key chain.
l41e
+677|6666

scouseclarky wrote:

o yeah i nearly forgot to mention that 5.56 ammo does not leave the muzzle of a rifle at 2500+ fps the SA80 has a muzzle velocity of 956 fps the lsw or light support weapon ( basically a longer version of the SA80 has a mv of 980 fps i would like to see a 5.56 mm rifle with a muzzle velocity as high as u described it it would break most of the record for rifles and probably your shoulder with the recoil it would have
Yes it does. The M16 fire 5.56 ammunition at 3200 feet per second, which is 984 meters per second.
Capt. Foley
+155|6606|Allentown, PA, USA
Im still amazed that .50 cal sniper rifles were made ilegal by the UN. Anyone else think they need to be reorganized.
scouseclarky
+10|6599

k30dxedle wrote:

scouseclarky wrote:

Yes it does. The M16 fire 5.56 ammunition at 3200 feet per second, which is 984 meters per second.
yep your rite i got my feet and meters mixed up i was thinking he ment meters my bad i'll admit it
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6673|Lancaster Ohio, USA
I believe that .50's should be legal...both on the battlefield and on the home front...I believe in this very strongly and the state of California's legislation is nothing more than a feel good law that does no good what so ever...it is the civilian market, namely Barrett rifles, that has developed such wonderful weapons as the M82A1, or as the military calls it the M107. Without this rifle our soldiers would be vulnerable to attacks that the standard 7.62 mm rifles just can't handle. If there is an enemy combatant behind a wall I don't care how far away he is, if I have a Barrett I'm gonna shot at the son of a bitch and the round will punch right through that wall and make him into swiss cheese if not rip him in half. There have been many instances of Marines using the Barrett to protect other Marines and many stories involve the target being put into multiple pieces, now if you say we should take the Barrett away we are leaving our troops naked. For civilian use I think it is fine as it is, who are you to say that I can't have a certain rifle when I can kill you just as dead with my Springfield Armory M1A in .308? I plan on owning a Barrett one day, and I understand if one doesn't see that point in buying one, a large calibre rifle just isn't for everyone. And as for Major_Spittle , the .223 cartridge was desinged to tumble upon impact, when it is fired it leaves the rifle like a standard round, but it is just on the outside edge of balance, once it hits a target it tumbles inside the body which is one of the reasons it is such a deadly round...
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6644|Sea to globally-cooled sea

JG1567JG wrote:

As far as the .50 cal being able to defeat all body armor is true but to the best of my knowledge any high powered rifle (i.e .308, .223, 7.62)  will defeat regular law enforcement bullet proof vests. I dont know about the military body armor but I think the only way to stop a high powered rifle round is to use a ceramic plate in the vests.
that is true about the ceramic plate in the vests.  However, it's a one-time use.  the ceramic will stop a single bullet, but the vest will consequently shatter like a dinner plate would.  the second shot would be right through you.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6662

Major_Spittle wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

This is my weapon this is my gun..... I was in Armor, we shot guns.  Big ones, little ones.  Do I have to talk about "weapons" by nomenclature on this forum now???? About deploying weapons????  The only thing military I deploy now is the P38 on my key chain.
no wonder you said gun. 

"the big gun"
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6651|USA
hmmmm no.....the only 2 weapons i say that are illegal, biological, chemical (which includes incendianary devices AKA white phosphorus, napalm etc etc)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard