Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6783
Pure genius. Crashing bugs aside (which havnt really affected me), this patch is genius. Mainly down to two things.

Artillery - The most annoying thing in BF2. And now it takes about twice as long to reload. So you actually have time to spawn and move before getting baseraped. Finally.

Squad Hopping Removal - Finally, more skill involved in atatcking bases than "all out atatck and respawn on the next guy". Less enemies ducking behind a crate a returning with 5 squadmates. When you kill people they stay dead now.

Vehicle Drops: Actually gives the commander something to do. Adds many new tactics to the game (dropping on buildings for high up turrets, dropping behind enemy lines.)

Thank you, DICE. Keep it up.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6570|Canada
Good points, but I think the squad-hopping was almost a necessary aspect of the game.  How many times has the US been pinned down on the carrier and getting one guy to the island with others spawning on him gave the US a chance.  Now I guy doesn't stand a chance unless he happens to be an established squad leader.  A decent Chinese commander can pick out any invaders pretty quick.

I was never one to squad hop much, but sometimes when you're surrounded by the enemy you need that out.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6762|Comber, Northern Ireland
then there is all the problems

CTD's- you have sat and loaded a server for about 6 mins only to find that yiur game decides to screw you one over and return to desktop.

Network data corruption- agen u sat and loaded a server only for it to not let you in

longer loading times- servers i used to be able to load in a few minutes now take up to 10 fucking mins

Vehicle drops, commanders dropping jeeps onto the carriers causing people to get ass raped when they spawn
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6570|Canada
+1 david, but EA is trying to improve gameplay, believe it or not
H.O.O.K.F.I.N.
+0|6566
its not your game that decides to screw you and send you back to the desktop, its your computer. Again, perhaps these things could work better with the operating systems, but in the end its the operating system 9 out of 10 times that is causing the problem.

This is one of many many occasions (posts) were there has been a patch or update and people come forward with these tons of tech issues, and they scream about the game, yet here I am for the umpteenth time not experiencing a single one of these issues. Clearly I got the same product you did... so what is the difference??? The system that its being used on.

Wouldn't it be great if the software would play nice with EVERY SYSTEM IN THE WORLD, but think of all the ridiculous amounts of variables from PC to PC that are out there. Put that in the oven and let it cook for a few minutes.

Personally, I think they've done a great job. I have no feeling on squad hoping, the vehicle drop seems a bit random just because in all the forums I can't ever remember reading a "wouldn't it be great if jeeps fell from the sky" thread, but... eh... roll with it.
Daysniper
+42|6658

Point&Shoot wrote:

+1 david, but EA is trying to improve gameplay, believe it or not
They may be trying, but they aren't doing a very good job of it!
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6783

Point&Shoot wrote:

Good points, but I think the squad-hopping was almost a necessary aspect of the game.  How many times has the US been pinned down on the carrier and getting one guy to the island with others spawning on him gave the US a chance.  Now I guy doesn't stand a chance unless he happens to be an established squad leader.  A decent Chinese commander can pick out any invaders pretty quick.

I was never one to squad hop much, but sometimes when you're surrounded by the enemy you need that out.
Judging by the way you describe "The carrier" and "the island", I suggest playing another map once in a while.
)ONS(Geordo
+12|6580|whitehorse, yukon
i actually find my load times are better.  and squad hopping isn't something to flood the forums with tears about.  i never knew about the arty time being increased.  makes it a little harder to make good points commanding.  oh well.  i havn't been hit too too hard with the bugs. so... i don;t mind the new patch too much
[BBF*EF]Stuka
Junkers Ju 87
+58|6601|Phoenix, AZ
Actually, I don't think they changed the arty time . If they did, find me the release notes on it.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6705|Canada
EA:
"you are the worst squad I have ever had the misfortune of seeing"
"my grandmother could do better"
lobo76
+2|6732

Talon wrote:

Point&Shoot wrote:

Judging by the way you describe "The carrier" and "the island", I suggest playing another map once in a while.
i think you r the one that needs to play more maps. For a start, Dalian (other than Wake) have islands/mainland and carriers...
j5f5ff
+11|6773
Pretty fun dropping autos on the choppers too.
mr_whippy94
+2|6601
well it is so much fun getting cars on the carrier on wake and running ppl over.  thats just so funny.
davblos
+4|6762|Melb, Australia
Love the new patch, I just wish they'd fix the crashing issues (serverside).  I had 4 out of 5 games crash mid-game today before I gave up...   I am getting withdrawls.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS

mr_whippy94 wrote:

well it is so much fun getting cars on the carrier on wake and running ppl over.  thats just so funny.
Yeah, I really want to be commander now. Problem is, so does everyone else, and all I have is a diamond, not some big, shiny bar.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kontrolfreq
+50|6627|Cambridge UK
You're playing on the wrong servers! I quite often get accepted as commander, even as a 'lowly' staff sergeant. I can't say i've noticed any difference in the arty reload times though. I also don't miss squad hopping as i've never used it.

I like the new patch, i get occasional CTDs and obv the server crash is annoying. Vehicle drops are useful, a few times they've saved me a 5 minute hike after a chopper bail or something... Although i think boat drops over water would have been helpful... and stroke, stroke, stroke....
Jainus
+30|6599|Herts, UK
I hate the new patch. It has utterly ruined BF2 for me as i can't get one round in full since the patch. Either i can't connect, or i have a "problem with my connection" part way through. I'm lucky if i see 5mins of action in any round on every ranked server i've tried.

I've tried all the "fixes" for it and nothing works. EA has taken a brilliant game and shafted it nicely.

Last edited by Jainus (2006-05-30 05:40:13)

fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6591
I even noticed a change in Artillery recharge times and recently made a thread about it (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=26312). Funny that so many players complained about artillery, now DICE changes the recharge time and only a few players notice this. Maybe due to the lack of frequent commanderplaying?!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard