Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6662|Brisbane, Australia

Viper007Bond wrote:

ChrisHXZS wrote:

I dont know much about ram but www.memoryx.net is where you can get cheap ram from.
Cheap != good.

You usually get what you pay for.

www.newegg.com > all
www.woot.com > all
SuB
+50|6682

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

SuB wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

Stays the same unless the RAM goes bad.. in which, your computer wouldn't start up
it can still start up, but can throw memory errors and such at you and BSOD and CTD alot, don't count on something not booting to tell it's fucked.
Eh, no.
It will "start up" but it won't get past POST. All it will do is sit on a black screen and beep.
A complete and successful start-up is after the user has logged on successfully.
eh yes.. there are plenty of times when your ram will be completely FINE until you start to stress it with games/apps
, booting up uses little more than i'd say 25% of your ram, IF THAT... meaning that in theory only that section of ram is being accessed, however when you open a game or do a stress test/ram test.. the whole lot/alot more gets used. thus errors become apparent.
the memory leak errors that pop up with the source engine a bit back are a perfect example.
if you had say 3 sticks of 256mb ram, and it crashed when you got onto larger maps.. this was due to a memory leak, otherwise un-noticed in one of the modules. the game would flag up a hex code, which when converted to 10 base showed 512 or above at that time. showing that module which is being used last out of the 3 has a memory leak/error.
so you take away said module, replace it, and HEY presto.. everything is fine.

overclocking is also a big thing as regards to ram screw ups
you can get happily into one of your "successful start-ups" and still not be able to stress test the system without it hanging or bsoding, since it's unstable BUT will boot and look stable.

so "eh, no" again... sorry mate but your a little wrong on this.
ram and can will only fuck up when u stress it.

Last edited by SuB (2006-05-30 07:36:27)

bennisboy
+829|6652|Poundland
*noob question* my pc has 2 banks of 2. currently I have 2x512mb in it, what would I be best off buying because I know with 2 banks of 2 I need to put in 2 memory modules at a time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard