Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6656
Seeing all these war posts in here made me curious. Do you need to be attacked personally? Do you just need to know that they will attack? Do you feel that war is never justified? I'll post later how I feel.

P.S. Please keep Iraq out of this. I want it to be more philosophical. I'm sick of hearing people bitch about that war.
specops10-4
+108|6753|In the hills
A war is justifiable when a nation, with 50% or more of the people willing to start a war, its allies and its moral reasons and goals are set.  Or (philosopcicaly) Canada tries to invade America cause all their ice melted and they wanted to play hockey in indoor rinks (they all melted for some reason, only in Canada), America should have the right to counter attack and try to return the ice to Canada.  A counter attack would not be justified if we do not return ice to them because they had dug the grave for themselves and without returning ice we would fill the grave

I just had to come up with some stupid story (i like hockey myself eh), no offence to you cannies up there in they north, aye.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2006-05-28 22:09:48)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6654
When the Commander-in-Chief says its time to go.  no questions asked
specops10-4
+108|6753|In the hills
ahhhh my foot, I just had to type it!

LOL

i have never expressed pain in typing (I dropped a can of cat food on my toe)

sry but it really hurt.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6778

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

When the Commander-in-Chief says its time to go.  no questions asked
Hitler said it was time to go.
Xietsu
Banned
+50|6566
A war is acceptable if...
· instability causes infeasibility in an economically important region
· the Geneva Conventions are knowingly breached by a regional, administrative force
· internationally threatening actions -- of a violent and aggressive manner -- are taken
· a totalitarian government is being usurped for democratic use by the indiginous populace
· a counter-attack is in order
· you want to rule the world.
· you want reknown for bringing through your people during a time of war*
· you need to expand the financial bases of your acquaintances*

The last two are asterisked because they are extra special.

(BTW, I hope you would like to reenlist once I'm President of the USA and need to take over the world, Gunslinger. Because I'll need a lot of fighting to be done.)

Last edited by Xietsu (2006-05-29 00:15:37)

BVC
+325|6705
To answer this question properly I'd need to write a thesis, but some situations in which one country (A) would be justified in waging war on another (B) are:

If B attempts to take some/all of A's territory without just cause.
If B attempts to take some/all of A's resources without just cause.
If B attempts to kill some/all of A's citizen's without just cause.
If B attempts to interfere with A's ability to function/survive as a nation without just cause.
joewardog
+6|6700|Great Plains (USA)
The problem with the last post, besides it being so neat and orderly, is what is "jsut cause" ? 

You need to define your terms first

Thanks
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6682|Colorado
we need to try no war, we have tried war for so long

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2006-05-29 00:52:18)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
It is acceptable to declare war on a sovereign nation when that nation has declared war on your nation or is occupying your nation. It is also acceptable if your nation has been agressed against by a conventional army.

It is not acceptable to declare war on a nation to root our guerrilla soldiers that have no connection to the government of a particular country but might reside in or have come from that counrty.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
When is war justified? Simple!

A. You meet the requirements of 'Jus ad bellum' - More info - it's a fairly long essay, so you can just skip down to the 'principles of just ad bellum' if you like.

B. You get attacked by someone - especially if they HAVEN'T met the above conditions. Though defending your country is a good enough excuse in any situation.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Xietsu
Banned
+50|6566
OMGZ THAT ESSAE IS BI A WOOMUN!!! NOH WAE!!!! lawl jk. /sarcazement

Last edited by Xietsu (2006-05-29 03:55:02)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6571
If a foreign country poses a clear and present danger to a nation and/or it's allies, when said nations have posed no threat to the foreign country, then war is justified

OR

If the UN Security Council approves.  This second one is why we need to reform the UN.
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6732|Indianapolis, IN
If the nation is unjustly treating their citizens (i.e. murdering citizens of their country for political and religious motivations)
If the nation poses a creditable, potential threat to the wellness of another country and the willingness to carry out that threat.

(I wish this was a scholarship opportunity for college because I could write quite a long essay on it. )
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

The_Mob_Returns wrote:

If the nation is unjustly treating their citizens (i.e. murdering citizens of their country for political and religious motivations)
If the nation poses a creditable, potential threat to the wellness of another country and the willingness to carry out that threat.

(I wish this was a scholarship opportunity for college because I could write quite a long essay on it. )
that is one reason they attacked iraq. well i would agree with what u said
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6570|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
might is right... go to war whenever you feel like it (long as your sure you can win) and no public opinion doesnt matter... protest all you want hippies its never worked yet lol
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6724|US
SuperSlowYo, it was called Vietnam.  The military lost support, political will evaporated, and the military was forced to withdraw.

I would say it is justified when...
1. A nation is attacked by another.
2. A foreign nation is actively attempting to overthrow another.
3. A foreign nation poses a threat, be it militarily, territorially, or makes a severe economic threat.
4. A foreign nation's leaders abuse human rights
5. A foreign nation's citizens pose a threat and the leadership does not react.
6. An ally is attacked without a justifiable cause.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6656
I guess thinking after thinking it over that my answer is simple:

For self-defense or defense of an ally. It can be aplied in many ways.
joewardog
+6|6700|Great Plains (USA)
Peace is the dream of wise men,
But war is the history of man.

TrollmeaT wrote:

we need to try no war, we have tried war for so long
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

RAIMIUS wrote:

SuperSlowYo, it was called Vietnam.  The military lost support, political will evaporated, and the military was forced to withdraw.

I would say it is justified when...
1. A nation is attacked by another.
2. A foreign nation is actively attempting to overthrow another.
3. A foreign nation poses a threat, be it militarily, territorially, or makes a severe economic threat.
4. A foreign nation's leaders abuse human rights
5. A foreign nation's citizens pose a threat and the leadership does not react.
6. An ally is attacked without a justifiable cause.
Hmph, copy what I said, why don't you.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

Bubbalo wrote:

If a foreign country poses a clear and present danger to a nation and/or it's allies, when said nations have posed no threat to the foreign country, then war is justified

OR

If the UN Security Council approves.  This second one is why we need to reform the UN.
The UN comes other 'right authority'. People < Government < World body.
~ Richard Feynman
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6571
Ah, but the question is not "When would you expect a country to go to war" or "When is it acceptable to a country to lose lives in war", but when is it justified.  Few wars are just.
Y0URDAD
I'ma Eat Yo Children!
+17|6655|Annapolis, MD
What about the countries that are friendly to and support your enemy? Should we not take them out as well?
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6712
WWII in my opinion is the only just war that has ever happened ever. There was no need for the Falklands, no need for Vietnam, no need for Korean.

Though this is my opinion. Compromise should sort everything out. Though people argue.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard