Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6771|Dallas
Hi friends, it's that asshole Cougar again!!  I hope everyone is doing great today (actually I don't care), and I got another little mini-guide I thought I'd share with you all.

So, you're sitting there thinking to yourself, "BF2 is starting to get old" or "I'm sick of all the bullshit".  I feel ya, I am too.  Ever since 1.3 came out I have almost completely lost interest for the game and I am sure there are many like me.  I've pretty much decided to ditch BF2 and move on to greener pastures until the real professionals, the modders, take center stage with the engine.  But what to do in the meantime?  Well, being a player born of Battlefield games, I didn't realize how many other popular games were out there, and the one's I did, I played off as being second rate to BF. 

Until last night.

A friend of mine talked me into downloading Steam and purchasing Counter-Strike.  Now personally, I had always looked at Counter-Strike like a red headed stepchild next to the BF series and had always brushed it off as non-sense.  But under the circumstances and my friends perfect timing I decided to try it.  My friend had caught me right after I had logged off a BF2 in a near rage after loading it up and clicking "refresh" on my favorites page only to have ALL of them disappear, then load into one server twice because the first time it crashed to desktop.  After I get in the second time I spawn in to see the entire team as AT and sniper and we are getting the ever living shit kicked out of us, but not to worry, theres a squad leader at the factory!!  Ohh wait, no, can't spawn on him.  We lose....horribly and to add insult to injury, the very next round our new commander types in "HEY, I JUST GOT THE WCR AND I HAVEN'T DONE SHIT!!".  Fuck you EA.  I disconnect from the server and decide to check out BFHQ and guess what.....its ALL fucked up.  At this point I said to fucking hell with EA, Dice, BF2, and all the other garbage they've been cramming down my throat for the past year.

So, I go download Steam.  Now at first I thought I was going to have to go to Wal-Mart and purchase CS for 30 bucks and bring it home and install it, but HEY, you can download CS right from Steam.....AND HOLY SHIT you get a $10 discount for downloading it.  But wait, thats not all...I seen that they had value packs of 30, 40, 60, and 80 dollars.  I choose the one for $60 dollars and got over 20 games!!!  I got the entire Half Life 1 and 2 series, the entire Counter-Strike series, 5 demos, a game called Darwina and a game called Kung Fu Rag Doll.  For $60.  Now I start thinking to myself, BF2 cost $50 alone, $45 for SF, $10 for Euro and $10 for AF, a grand total of $115 for 1 game and some add-on's.  I felt ripped off from the fact alone.  Then I sat there and thought about all the glitches, bugs, how many patches I have downloaded, how much stuff was fucked up still, how many things they fucked up with each patch, how they nerf everything that is worth a shit and then nerf medals and ribbons just so people will get them and buy BF2142.

NO!  FUCK YOU, NOT GOING THROUGH THAT AGAIN!  BETA TEST YOUR FUCKING GAMES FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS FIRST, THEN RELEASE ASSHOLES!  EA JUST LOST A 4 YEAR EXCLUSIVE CUSTOMER!

Now that I am done bashing the fucktards at EA and Dice, lets talk about Steam.  First off I was EXTREMELY impressed with Steam, it ran so smooth and even looked nice, not to mention really user friendly and very self explanatory.  The games downloaded moderately fast for me and the even auto-installed themselves, at the end all I had to do was click the desktop icon and I was playing.  Not once did I freeze up or crash during an entire weekend of playing, I didn't even find and glitches or bugs in the games!  Amazing!  I didn't have to download 15 patches for the games and I didn't have any stupid ROE's to follow set by the game makers.  It was by far the easiest and most enjoyable and relaxing gaming experience I have had in about a year.  I totally went to bed with a boner that night. 

Counter-Strike was also impressive and as a matter of fact, almost completely the opposite of what people who follow the BF series normally say about it.  I loaded in to all my servers in under a minute, experienced little to no lag and usually did find much in the way of client side lag either.  The game play was hard to get used too, but after a while it kinda sinks in, and it is REALLY enjoyable, even while playing alone which is something I never did in BF2.  If I didn't have someone on TeamSpeak to play with, I wouldn't play.  The bomb objective was awesome and gave method and purpose to the mayhem, unlike BF2 where it's just a bunch of random jackasses doing whatever they can to get #1 and a bunch of stupid medals.

I played Half Life 1 and 2, which I had never done before.  Uber fun.  Loved the storylines and loved the multiplayer action, which I didn't know existed for Half Life.  Apparently CS is a mod of Half Life or something?  Yeah, see what a noob I am at it still, I haven't figured everything out yet, but I do know that it is a very good game and very good engine.  I probably sat and played HL for over 5 hours and it managed to keep my attention so much that I didn't even realize I had been playing for 5 hours.  Excellent!  The other Demos and stuff I haven't got to try out yet but they look alright from the websites.

So guys, if your getting worn out on BF2, try Source if you haven't already, it's definitely worth a try.  EA is definitely going to have to pull some major stuff out of their ass if they expect me to pay another 50 bucks for 2142.

Also, I know there are going to be about 546868 flame replies and -karmas from this so here is my Fuck you in advance:

FUCK YOU

To everyone else, have fun and give it a try!

-Cougar
yerded
Bertinator
+255|6643|Westminster, California
Variety is the spunk of life.
Slink
+17|6704
/jeer, or was that /cheer? 

CS, or CS:S?
FriiginChomper
+41|6708
that was long, i only read the part about EA/DICE making bad patches.

at least i think that was what it was about : /
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6653
I hear ya, this is how i enjoy myself now in bf2, 1 jeep loads of c4, then i drive in enemy and friendly and laugh as everything blows up
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6587|England
I played CS:S at a decent level and my freind pointed out bf2 to me so i guess our roles are reversed .

The games is full of hacks which steam has a problem banning and keeping up to date with all the new ones that come out.

The maps i must admit are good and the gameplay is fast ,but tbh you dont really need any skill to play it as 2 shots anywhere takes a player down .

The missions like on bf2 (taking flags) CS:S (bombs/hostage) wear thin after a while like all games.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are the best single player games out there and i dont think anything cant touch it .

I rather us E.A. downloader then steam because it is so much faster .

But then again its your choice and good luck with it .I played that game to death and played with some of the best players around and had fun .But i rather play this buggy game with a few hackers out there,then play that piece of shit cs:s with countless thousand hacking .
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6783|UK
Welcome to CS:S my child
Daysniper
+42|6642
I gave you +1. Thanks for the tips...
Arcano-D.E.S
+13|6553
I have played both and though I did like CS I got annoyed by the lack of depth. I know you get a lot for 60 bucks but quite frankly you should because it isn't worth more than that. I don't think BF2 is worth what I paid for it either.

I honestly don't think it is that good of a deal.
SiMSaM16
+48|6700|United States of America
All I have to say is...

Wait til you've played BF2 and STEAM games long enough until you've had enough crap from both of them. Yes, STEAM is nice and convieniant. Wait til you're getting shot in the face as soon as someone steps around a corner or they spray a whole clip at you to hit you once in the face. There are hackers in BF2, I myself have never seen one. In STEAM, like CS and DoD. You'll see one once a day. So many little kids (elementary school) play those games, and you can hear their voices which makes it a whole lot better.

You may be satisfied with STEAM now... you won't in the future.

Last edited by SiMSaM16 (2006-05-27 16:47:16)

Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6771|Dallas

[netsas]knight wrote:

I played CS:S at a decent level and my freind pointed out bf2 to me so i guess our roles are reversed .

The games is full of hacks which steam has a problem banning and keeping up to date with all the new ones that come out.

The maps i must admit are good and the gameplay is fast ,but tbh you dont really need any skill to play it as 2 shots anywhere takes a player down .

The missions like on bf2 (taking flags) CS:S (bombs/hostage) wear thin after a while like all games.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are the best single player games out there and i dont think anything cant touch it .

I rather us E.A. downloader then steam because it is so much faster .

But then again its your choice and good luck with it .I played that game to death and played with some of the best players around and had fun .But i rather play this buggy game with a few hackers out there,then play that piece of shit cs:s with countless thousand hacking .
Yeah, I haven't had much experiance with CS yet (about 2 hours worth) but it seemed extremly easy to kill someone, which OTOH explains why people would come around the corner and put one in my head before I could react.  Very tough to play as a newbie on a big CS server.  Trial by fire I suppose.  As far as the DL'ers go, I average 120k per sec on EA's and 285k per sec on Steam, so for me it was faster.  Maybe it has something to do with file server locations or something, IDK?  I havent had any encounters with hackers yet, but hey I've only been playing for about 2 hours and I'm sure BF2 has it's fair share of hackers too so it's nothing new.
Swiss
+20|6552
Play both Bf2 and steam as much as one another, both very different styles of shooting. I don't see any hackers on BF2 but i see very few hackers on cs:s...less than one/100 hours of gameplay. Maybe it's because i play mainly on the surf servers...haha.
killerkebab
+6|6648
I was a CS man before BF2 but I must admit I agree with you completely. The Steam service is far better than the EA download service. Steam has had its ups and downs but in its current form, it really is the greater package.

Patches and fixes go out very often with Steam. No one is expected to put up with shit for very long. There are hundreds more servers on CS than there are on BF2, and then there are other mods to play if CS bores you. The Steam service offers more choice than just HL and its series of mods, such as Darwinia, for instance.

Extra maps and skins in CS come for free from Valve. EA expect you to pay, and for what? Six new maps, a few skins for vehicles, and two new medals you can win?
Valve's support is what EA's should strive to be. That being said, I still play BF2 more - large outdoor maps and bigger battles with vehicles won me over, but I still feel saddened by the poor deal I am getting to be able to play this, and that is why I sometimes go back to Counterstrike for a good game.

Seeing a hacker once a day is something which has yet to happen to me. Maybe there are hackers, but a quality way to make sure you don't get those is to simply leave and join a different server! There are so many servers you'd have to be a total tool not to find another on the same map. It takes all of thirty seconds and you're raring to go again. No stats to worry about tracking (although stats may appeal to some such as myself, being able to hop in and out of games is sometimes a nice refreshment), and no scores to care about. No ROE to follow.

Valve deliver.
EA don't.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6748

I Played CS:S fr about A Week. I Had it, and I Was getting Sick of BF2. I Ahd the Box Edition of HL:2, which also featured Counter Strike. The Game Is Awesome, the Loading Times are 1 Minute MAX, and there is Quick and Smooth Gameplay. But After A Week of Pure CS:S, I Started to Crave the Variety of BF2. It Has Planes, Tanks, Cars Everything!!!
Im Not Saying Counter Strike is Bad, but I found that the Maps Get Repetitive. Theres Only So many Times You can Rush Site A in Dust with a Heap  of Enthusiasm. It Gets Boring. Also, I was Getting Sick of the AWPS, which Haunt You Every Corner. Camping In CS:S is Much Worse than In BF2, and Remember, when You Die in CS, you have to Wait for all The Noob Campers to Die. And Considering that their Camping, that Can Take a Long Time.

As for Mods, CS:S is Awesome. Surf maps are Awesome, once you get the Hang Of It, and theres All Kinds Of Shit out There that You an try in Cs:S. Thats why Afro is Still working On Smug. Becuase BF2 is Such a Big Game. I Still Rather BF2 over CS:S. I was Getting Bored, especiialy of Dust. Back when i played it Before BF2, you had To Wait 2 Hours on A Server to play the Same Map again. Now it Seems that Every Server is just Dust/s, Aztec, Office and Assault.

BF2 FTW.

As For Half Life, ive never played a Game with Such a Good Storyline, or Graphics. The Textures On That Game are Unbelieveable.  And The Multiplayer Action is Quite Good.

They are Both Excellent Games, they Both have their Pros and Cons. But For Now, I'll Stick With BF2.

Cheers,
Jestar12345

P.S Yes EA are Money Hungry Bastards.....
[GPIII]_Maj.Bong
+5|6631
I have actually been playing some Brothers in Arms and Call of Duty just so I don't get sick of battlefield.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6771|Dallas
Yeah, the Call of Duty series is pretty good as well.  I even re-installed BF1942 a few months ago but got tired of it rather quickly.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6584|Arlen, Texas
After HL2, BF2 looks kinda ugly. Day of Defeat is a lot of fun, too.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6716|Charlie One Alpha
Welcome to the world of Steam and Valve!
I already pronounced Half-Life the best game in the history of everything.
Half-Life 2, not so much, but still pretty darn entertaining.
I play CS:S from time to time, because it's so stress-free compared to BF2.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6681|Canberra, AUS
I still think BF2 is the best FPS around. CoD is good - but a bit too hacky for me (no PB)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6691
Well... there is some hope in the coming months as well...

check it out -->  http://www.enemyterritory.com/
|Vap0rXX|
+10|6590
The man speaks the truth, especially the whole load of patches that have been brutally rammed down our throats for a year.

About time EA feels the wrath of customers they've screwed

I must say im leaning towards the "Fuck EA" corner

+1 for sure
J=MAN
+25|6665|OZ
Yeah the server dodginess introduced by the new patch has driven me out of the game, but I'll be buggered if I'll go back to CS or try CS:S. And I'll be buggered if I'll buy BF2142 or even AF, which I was kind of looking forward to...

Maybe I'll do some of the things I used to do, like read books and play bass!

Shit yeah!

Nice rant, though +1
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6587|Melbourne, Australia.
Counter Strike sucks. Its boring and 1 dimensional.
hutchy52
+12|6761

Spark wrote:

I still think BF2 is the best FPS around. CoD is good - but a bit too hacky for me (no PB)
COD2 got PB with its last patch
darkcrystal
First Aid! Here!
+12|6694
steam has been around for what?  almost 3 years now?  valve and steam have gone thru MANY changes.  steam was horrific when it first came out and it took a while to work all the kinks out...hmmm sound familiar?  stop praising a program that you have little experience with.  give bf2 some time.  i played cs/tfc since the beginning, and i can tell you that i would take WON over steam any day of the week.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard