revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6771|Phoenix, Az
Do any of you guys have a Dell XPS? I've recently been talking to Dell XPS users that play on battlefield 2 servers, and we all have the same problem... crashes. We dont know whats wrong with XPS's but it seems that every XPS user that plays BF 2 for a while will have its computer crash into a blank blue screen without an error message... just blank... making a wierd noise.XPS are top of the line gaming-computers so I dont know whatssup. If any of you guys  can help or have the same prob as me... just hit me up... please...This crash is getting annoing!:-(
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6820
Sounds like a software problem, do you have the latest drivers and have you contacted Dell about this first? Perhaps you could find the one thing in common with all those XPS machines you were refering too. I'm sure their not all the same if the people customized them when they bought them.

The error message being displayed on the blue screen would help too.

Last edited by Ryan_Mercury (2005-10-13 14:20:22)

revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6771|Phoenix, Az

Ryan_Mercury wrote:

Sounds like a software problem, do you have the latest drivers and have you contacted Dell about this first? Perhaps you could find the one thing in common with all those XPS machines you were refering too. I'm sure their not all the same if the people customized them when they bought them.

The error message being displayed on the blue screen would help too.
Yep I've emailed Dell , EA , and my video card - ATI. They dont know whatsup.EA.com says that my computer when tested did not meet the video requirements. What the hell is that? My comp meets the requirements.. and how would they know? they havent seen my computer info
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6820
Okay, list your system specs and driver versions and so forth, including the error message.

Otherwise it's like posting a topic saying: "I'm having a computer problem, can someone help me, thanks."
dan500
+57|6847
Are we talking Dell XPS Desktop or Laptop, if laptop..

BF2 dose make clear that some notebook video cards may may be supported;

"Note: Video card chipsets in laptop system may work with this game but are not suppoted by Electronic Arts."

If its desktop, i have no idea

Last edited by dan500 (2005-10-17 17:50:03)

thranx
+0|6766
"dell xps" is far to general as they've now had 5 generations of them and the current line have totally differing models.

I have a gen 3 that I have, I've not been pleased with.  I'm planning to yoink everything and put it on a better mother board.  I've got a P4 3.4, X800XT Plat (512mb) with 2 gigs of amazing quality ram and I'm still not happy with the performance in comparison to a P4 3.2, 5700LE (128) with 1gig of medeocre ram.

Recommendation, don't go with XPS for gaming.   Dell makes excellent, reliable home and business PCs... but they still need to work on the gamer market.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6830|USA! USA! USA!
I have a XPS Gen I laptop.  It rawks.  I know a fair bit about computers and before I bought this one I always built my own desktop.  I haven't ever had BF2 crash to a blue screen.  I did have to reinstall after playing around with some of the files too much.  I also have a friend who has almost the exact same XPS and he has never had a problem.  I don't know anything about the desktop versions though...  I probably wouldn't buy a PC built for gaming from a company.  If I was going to spend that much money on a desktop I would just make it myself.
revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6771|Phoenix, Az

Ryan_Mercury wrote:

Okay, list your system specs and driver versions and so forth, including the error message.

Otherwise it's like posting a topic saying: "I'm having a computer problem, can someone help me, thanks."
okay, 1Gb
ATI-Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition <-- badass
3.6 processor
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Windows Home / Bios A07

mm what esle? i cant think of anything esle.

It's a desktop.
Also there is no error message. Just blank.
addict10n
+1|6777
I had the same problem with ATI Video cards, Screen would go blank after about 1-15 minutes of game time.  ATI has MAJOR issues with VIA chipsets, if you have a via chipset you are screwed. ATI makes awesome video cards, but NVidia, as I have seen (personally now that I have the 7800GTX) makes more reliable and stable video cards.

Check and make sure you dont have a VIA chipset on your Motherboard, If you do, I would recommend a new motherboard or buy an NVidia Card.
CC-Marley
+407|6828
I have an XPS gen3... Its a monster...!st or 2nd on everytime..All settings on MAX...Though lately it has been minimizing BF2 during gameplay from time to time......cant figure out what program is running in the background to cause this...
dan500
+57|6847

CC-Marley wrote:

I have an XPS gen3... Its a monster...!st or 2nd on everytime..All settings on MAX...Though lately it has been minimizing BF2 during gameplay from time to time......cant figure out what program is running in the background to cause this...
BF2 dose that to me, i feel like crying because i think its crashed
fceleita
+0|6822|TX
I have the Gen 4 XPS desktop and I am running into the same problems. Dell even replaced my video card since they thought that was the problem....If anyone finds out what's causing the error let us know so we can try and fixt it!
I am also running dual monitors on my card, are any of you guys as well?? Also what video settings are you using for the game? I noticed that the problem started after I put everything on the highest settings possible. Once I lowered the settings just a tad bit the error seems to have stopped...although the PC should be able to handle with everything set a maximum....?

Fabio
DELL XPS Gen 4 3.6GHZ v.A07
ATI 850 XT PE
Soundblaster Audigy ZS2 Platinum
3 Gigs RAM
X3 250 Gig Hard Disks
revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6771|Phoenix, Az

fceleita wrote:

I have the Gen 4 XPS desktop and I am running into the same problems. Dell even replaced my video card since they thought that was the problem....If anyone finds out what's causing the error let us know so we can try and fixt it!
I am also running dual monitors on my card, are any of you guys as well?? Also what video settings are you using for the game? I noticed that the problem started after I put everything on the highest settings possible. Once I lowered the settings just a tad bit the error seems to have stopped...although the PC should be able to handle with everything set a maximum....?

Fabio
DELL XPS Gen 4 3.6GHZ v.A07
ATI 850 XT PE
Soundblaster Audigy ZS2 Platinum
3 Gigs RAM
X3 250 Gig Hard Disks
yeah they seem to replace verything lol, dell customer service via-email is awesome dont try telephone.. it sucks.. they'll redirect u to some  guy barely learning english in india... anyways...yeah the blue screen sucks doesnt it? it soo damn annyoing.. i have even reduced my playing like 30-45 mins a day cuz im afraid of this bs problem.
MegaBlast
+0|6781|UK
A couple of quick suggestions / questions:

1 - Is the interval between starting game & crashing out always the same?
2 - Despie Dell producing driver updates it can also be a good idea to get driver updates direct from ATI as they tend to be more up to date than Dells version of the same driver.
3 - Are all teh funky power management features for the machine off becuase i have seen situations where power management thinks the machine is idle when you have been in game for 15 mins or similar.

Whats the chipset on the board?  Intel / VIA etc etc? 

Are we talking Intel or AMD processor machines?
revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6771|Phoenix, Az

MegaBlast wrote:

A couple of quick suggestions / questions:

1 - Is the interval between starting game & crashing out always the same?
2 - Despie Dell producing driver updates it can also be a good idea to get driver updates direct from ATI as they tend to be more up to date than Dells version of the same driver.
3 - Are all teh funky power management features for the machine off becuase i have seen situations where power management thinks the machine is idle when you have been in game for 15 mins or similar.

Whats the chipset on the board?  Intel / VIA etc etc? 

Are we talking Intel or AMD processor machines?
Intel
Intel 3.6
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6827|Australia

revolution.inc wrote:

ATI-Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition <-- badass
um i belive the X850XT IceQ II turbo runs at the same as that.. infact i think its better than the 7800gtx. working in a pc place gives e the chance to use both for free
ZZZargo333
+0|6828
please realise that nvidia had a hand in the making of the game thus it will support their cards better than the ATI's dont be suprised when it doesn't like your ATI card...
weigt
+0|6772|USA
are you caertain this is a video issue this may be some handle or some catch during a write process from the OS,, check your service pack if you have sp1 update to 2 if you have 2 id suggest running a chkdsk /r from recovery console and then go to start and run and do an sfc /scannnow with the OS disk in the drive... ive seen this quite often with alot of systems and alot of games and most of the time its related to an os Cache issue...

im of course assuming you still have xp on it since the xps was never available with anything else!!!

Last edited by weigt (2005-10-20 12:28:27)

i've got xps gen 5 and i dont crash i've got g-force 6800 v-card pentium-i or something so maybe its just the software
Buzerk1
+44|6836

Krauser98 wrote:

I have a XPS Gen I laptop.  It rawks.  I know a fair bit about computers and before I bought this one I always built my own desktop.  I haven't ever had BF2 crash to a blue screen.  I did have to reinstall after playing around with some of the files too much.  I also have a friend who has almost the exact same XPS and he has never had a problem.  I don't know anything about the desktop versions though...  I probably wouldn't buy a PC built for gaming from a company.  If I was going to spend that much money on a desktop I would just make it myself.
Here here Sir!!.. I have the same, just upgraded my memory to 2G... it rocks!! I play at medium settings and 1600x1200

Last edited by Buzerk1 (2005-10-20 20:45:02)

~Gooseman24~
+0|6763
I have a dell XPS 600 that I bought in august and got it finally in sept. the first thing I did was wipe the HDD and install the primary companents that I felt nessasary, then installed the BF2, then right away I ran the patch 1.03, did not work meaning by that I got an cd-key not valid, so I hard set the key by way of the registery, no go.  So I manually uninstalled went through the steps to reinstall the game and patch, no go, In the mean time my bro had started his own account and tried to play but had the same error, so after uninstalling the game automatily from uninstall shield, then I wen through the whole computer looking for BF2 stuff related, ( registry, other windows user accounts ) and then reinstalled the game and last night I downloaded the 1.03 patch, in 9 seconds at 19 mb/s at 12:56 am, installed the patch, and the violla the game worked, in the mean time EA had been contacted and I was in the process of being escalated with a programmer and I solved the problem on my own, MAKE SURE WHEN U REINSTALL CHECK FOR ALL REMANENTS OF BF2 ARE REMOVED, ALL PROFILES OF BF2 IN ALL USER ACCOUNTS MUST BE DESTROYED OR REMOVED, this was agreed apon with the programmer when I talked to him this morning when u think of reinstalling the game. hope that helps with anybody with the same problem.
Burky3138
+0|6672
I bought a XPS 600 in October and have had nothing but problems trying to install BF2. I eventually had to maunally install the game and that worked. Dell Support could not figure it out to save their lives. EA games could not come up with an answer either. Now I have since bought the expansion pack and when I put in the CD, it doesn't go past "Preparing To Patch". Again I am at the same point where nobody can figure out what to do. I reformated my entire computer, upated all drivers, whiped BF@ completely from my pc but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have an answer that can help?
clncmmndr
+5|6774|Laguna Beach, CA
I have the original XPS 1st Gen when it first came out two years ago. However, some upgrades over time have improved my gameplay - especially on BF2.

~ Intel P4 3.4Ghz w/Ht Technology and 800Mhz FSB
~ 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
~ 256MB ATI Radeon x800 PCI-e
~ SoundBlaster Audigy 2
~ 160GB Maxtor HD
~ ZBoard Gaming Keyset
~ Logitech Laser Mouse

I personally love how it runs. I have no troubles at all if I keep up to date on all the latest drivers for all of my hardware components. I've only had one crash through SF (Doesn't everyone crash at some point while playing that shitty Xpack?). It was on a 64 player server and my DSL connection timed out and froze up the whole computer. Damn SBC.

Resetting modems is something that we as gamers shouldn't have to do at all.

Last edited by clncmmndr (2006-01-28 20:50:51)

SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6740
A blue screen means that you computer has overheated and shutdown. Try lowering the overclocks or put more fans inside.
clncmmndr
+5|6774|Laguna Beach, CA
I always wondered how people got their names in Orange or Big in display.

Now I know to put "|c1234" in front of my name.

Sweetness. Now to create a new profile.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard