TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6623|Birmingham, UK
Now I know a lot of you wont agree with me. And I know I may (and probably will) get a lot of -1 karma with reasons such as "What a noob with noobish ideas - what a noob!" but I will endeavour to make my point as well as I can.
This is, put simply, I expect there to be more medics playing in the game now because of the new patch. Many of you may not believe this now or even after I explain myself. I admit I may be wrong as some people are sometimes. This may be one of those occasions. However, with the patch stopping squad hopping (to a great extent) it has also (inadvertently possibly?) stopped squad cycling. I know many of you may have already made up your mind thinking that this is an exploit. But just stop and think for a second.
If you are in a squad and your squad leader dies shouldn't someone else take charge and then further troops be supplied under his command for support? I know that Battlefield 2 can NEVER (and I understand this) be a real life, to the exact point, simulation - but this is one point that should occur naturally in games. Also, EA and DICE claim - and I quote - "We believe this change will refocus the game play on team work and add more value to the roles of Squad Lead and Commander." I cannot see how this would refocus on teamplay. For a start, usually half your team (or even less) are in squads - even then half or even less use VOIP (if the option is available on the server). How can teamwork be properly achieved without the proper communication? I know EA cannot solve this but I am merely showing a flaw. If we take Strike at Karkand as an example, the way I believe EA and DICE say "Unfortunately squad leaders have been used by some to launch team wide attacks on remote parts of maps with little thought to actual team unity beyond these maneuvers", is a drastically under thought statement. If you did not have elements of you team attacking the Suburbs or the Cement Factory/Factory then the USMC would find it very hard to win (with even teams). If we take EA and DICE's statements as they are then we can surmise that they want us to follow the 'Knives and Pistols' server system where everyone attacks/defends one flag and when that flag is taken/lost it moves onto the nearest flag (Hotel, Square, Suburbs, Train Accident) etc. This is promoting a two-dimensional gameplay style for a very three-dimensional fast-flowing and diverse game.
Therefore, I propose a system that if you are dead you can leave a squad and cannot join any OTHER squad (so that squad hopping is still disabled) while you are dead. However, you can join back into the squad you were last in (squad-cycling enabled). This, I believe, would bring us to a compromise for all of us with no-one getting it all their way and so everyone can have a bit of triumph in this. Think about it. If you have a squad in the water attacking the Cement Factory then there may be a squad leader hiding under the shaded part of the water. As they are trying to come up anyone defending that position may get anything up to 4 or 5 kills before getting the squad leader and ending this attack. With squad cycling you could have two points of attack with everyone of the squad attacking and if someone sneaks in then your squad mates could all spawn on you. This would promote the original ideals of Battlefield 2 of fast-flowing, diverse gameplay when sneaking and not shooting may be the best solution.
Also, with squads not currently able to cycle then more medics shall be needed to keep the squad and squad-leader going. As many people don't agree with the current amount of medics calling them 'medic-whores' then this will just anger them more and vastly over-proportion the use of this kit over others. We could see a pandemic of medics and little of other kits.
Yet again, I must reiterate these are solely my views (as I have not spoken to anyone else about this) as far as I know and if you don't like it then fine - post. But please don;t give me -1 karma because you didn't disagree with this, didn't read the whole post or just don't like me.
Thanks and all the best,
Raven

For EA and DICE's statement about squads go to http://www.ea.com/official/battlefield/ … ate_050906

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2006-05-24 08:51:36)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
There are already loads of medics in the game. Main reasons:

- More points
- Self-Healing/Infinite health
- Has some of the best guns in the game
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6623|Birmingham, UK
Yes but...what about my last half-hour of writing?
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6626|UK
more medics? i'd say theres enough allready
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6623|Birmingham, UK
But what I'm saying is that the patch creates the need for more medics - crowding out the other kits. This is a very bad thing!
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6696

TheDarkRaven wrote:

Yes but...what about my last half-hour of writing?
Rofl! +1 for that.
Nomer
+10|6697|North of Boston
I've noticed a lack of medics at times too and been surprised by it.  It always seems strange to me that with so many bad players out there that could be helped by playing the class and healing themselves and getting points that I can see only 3 or so on a 32 player team and 5 or 6 each of special ops or assault.  But especially in situations where a squad leader has approached remote flag and there is very loose teamwork being used (ie no squad leader cycling) that people don't spawn on him as a medic so that they can heal others and potentially keep their SL-the spawn point alive.  Whenever I'm attacking a flag I figure the more numbers with me the better my chances are, but for some reason people are reluctant to play medic, even after the new patch.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6623|Birmingham, UK

Nomer wrote:

I've noticed a lack of medics at times too and been surprised by it.  It always seems strange to me that with so many bad players out there that could be helped by playing the class and healing themselves and getting points that I can see only 3 or so on a 32 player team and 5 or 6 each of special ops or assault.  But especially in situations where a squad leader has approached remote flag and there is very loose teamwork being used (ie no squad leader cycling) that people don't spawn on him as a medic so that they can heal others and potentially keep their SL-the spawn point alive.  Whenever I'm attacking a flag I figure the more numbers with me the better my chances are, but for some reason people are reluctant to play medic, even after the new patch.
Which is precisely why we need more medics with this new patch - YOU CAN'T SQUAD CYCLE!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard