elite
+89|6722|Sheffield, England
In your country, whats your government doing to cut carbon emissions, and if so, what???

In my area, there are road signs that are solar and wind powered, and some local school are totally dependent on their wind turbine, and there are a few houses near me that have solar panels.
In the country side there are many wind turbines powering thousands of homes...there are more but i dont know them all.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6586|Florida
Some street signs that have flashers here have solar panels.  Other than that, most stuff in my area isnt "eco friendly".  Its all coal powered.  Dont get me wrong, i would like to see more solar powered stuff here.  But we cant depend on water to generate power, I live by one of the largest cities without navigable water in the US, (Indianapolis), and the wind here...it can get windy, but the chances of tornados taking them out is too high, so its not cost effective.  I think thats the same reason we dont have solar power plants or generators.  General Motors is promoting the E-85 cars that run on 85% ethenol like no other here....except ive yet to see a place to fill one of those cars up around here lol.
nieker
THE FLYING DUTCH PENGUIN, THE NINTENDO PENGUIN
+191|6635|The Netherlands
Who Cares As Long I Can Study And Play Bf2
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah, a few of the auto companies produce vehicles that can run on E85, Ford and GM to name a few.  However, there are currently very few stations that sell E85 unless you live in the midwest (I think Nebraska has a bunch).  E85 is actually more fuel efficient than straight gasoline.  The big problem is that there is no infrastructure to produce and ship the ethanol in great enough numbers.
In some areas, they are trying to build wind farms to generate electricity.  Funny thing, though.  I heard recently that someone was being blocked from building one in Virginia because it would "be an eyesore."  The people in the area thought it would reduce tourism.  "People want to come here and see our nice scenery, not big windmills." LOL
I personally think we need to invest more in researching alternate fuel sources like Hydrogen.  Last I read, though, the hydrogen fuel cells were still way too big to be practical in an automobile.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6586|Florida
I dont know if nebraska has a bunch of places for E85 or not.....obviously its more fuel efficient than straight gasoline, hence the use of 85% ethynol (corn) and 15% gasoline.  I know Indiana grows a shizit load of corn, but ive yet to see a station that sells E85.  Thats retarded about Virginia with the wind generator lol.  So they would rather not have alternate power sources, just so people can not look at it.  Too bad for them.  If Indiana didnt have such a great chance of tornados during the spring, I could see them building some here.....since we have no "scenery" except fucking corn fields outside of cities lol.  I can understand not building them around say.....state parks....or other major tourist attractions, but there is plenty of space to build elsewhere here.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6605|Seattle

We have lots of hydro-electric damns wich power 6 of our neighboring states.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
herrr_smity
+156|6636|space command ur anus
we are maybe going to build gas power plants withe zero emission
MooseRyder
+37|6663|Montréal, Canada
our main electricty source is created by hydro-electrcity.

we solar powered electric road signs too.
Rosse_modest
+76|6784|Antwerp, Flanders
I really wouldn't know.
Besides some wind mill parks off the shore. And a few wind mills here and there in the countryside. Have a handful of small hydroelectric facilities in the south of the country, but our main source of power is and always will be nuclear fission (unless some dopehead figures out a way to successfully and safely sustain nuclear fusion). Belgium is very densely populated and along with our industry it makes for a very power hungry society.

Some retard politicians launched the idea of replacing our nuclear plants with more environmentally friendly solutions but that's just impossible.

Concerning the industry: Belgium is the most "chemical" country in the world, you won't find any other country in which the importance of the chemical industry to the economy and the country's people is this high. This extensive chemical industry and dense population make for a lot of pollution. Relatively speaking that is. Which is what a lot of people here and abroad fail to understand. While we do have a lot of chemical industry, retard environmental hippies conveniently forget to see it's also relatively clean compared to other countries' chemical industries. Chemical companies have invested in waste reduction and energy efficiency in the Belgian plants like in no other country.  They kinda have to, for their own sake, if they hadn't all Belgians would be dying before the age of 35.

When the Kyoto accord's emission goals were to be divided among the different European countries, other nations sent team of experts to accompany their ministers: engineers, economists, social experts,...
We sent a minister and an ex-greenpeace activist. As you can imagine we got gangbanged (along with the Dutch, for that matter). As a result we are stuck with an unrealistic and unfair emission goal. In other European countries companies have to invest relatively little money to get a significant reduction in emission, but since companies here have already made those investments well before Kyoto, they would have to invest a shitload of money to get a barely noticeable reduction???
BVC
+325|6703
A bunch of small initiatives here, we have a lot of emissions from farming but also a lot of commercial forests.  There were plans for some sort of Carbon Tax under Kyoto, but that was scrapped.  Our forestry industry will help a lot, but plantings have been falling off lately.  Oh, and some sort of emissions testing has been talked about for vehicle fitness checks (every 6 months or so).
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Solar powered signs have been used to some degree here.  We are finally starting to get something that represents a mass transit system.  The state also offers some tax incentives for people using alternative fule vehicles (natural gas & propane), and some for high efficiency vehicles like hybrids.

With gas running $3 gallon, and me getting older and getting relatively little exercise as a network admin, I've started biking to work 2-3 days a week.

I don't understand why they haven't put up solar and/or windmill farms here in Utah.  Out in the west desert the area isn't attractive at all and is pretty well useless, the wind always blows, and being the 2nd driest state in the US, next to Nevada, we have some 300 days of sunshine on average each year.
MorbidFetus
+76|6559|Ohio
Honestly, who cares. It's just global warming scare tactics used to sell hybrid vehicles and efficient light bulbs. Sure, major cities wouldn't have soup for air but we'd have to reduce our emissions to 0 and actually start scrubbing the poisons out of our air to reverse the man-made additions to the natural process (sun spots, volcano eruptions, etc.) of the Earth warming.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA
I am actually more interested in reducing our reliance on oil.  Anything that accomplishes that (E85, Hydrogen cars, etc) is a good thing in my book.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
taiwan has some wind turbines and promoting use of solar powered water heaters instead of natural gas. but the US should just use chuck norris
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Rosse_modest
+76|6784|Antwerp, Flanders

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

taiwan has some wind turbines and promoting use of solar powered water heaters instead of natural gas. but the US should just use chuck norris
Chuck Norris doesn't get used, man.
GATOR591957
+84|6635

atlvolunteer wrote:

I am actually more interested in reducing our reliance on oil.  Anything that accomplishes that (E85, Hydrogen cars, etc) is a good thing in my book.
I agree whole heartedly.  There are several "good things" that will come out of reducing our dependence on foreign oil. 

#!.  The Arab nations will go broke, leaving all of our current administrations buddies in the cold.  They will wage war on each other because they have nothing else to do, and we won't care because we don't need their oil.  Sad, but true.

#2 The global warming is not a "hype" to sell hybrid cars.  It is a true documented ongoing event.  The ozone will not return to original shape,but will heal itself in centuries.

#3 The US will return itself to the dominate manufacturer's we once were.  *Assuming we come up with the technology first.  Which is a big stretch considering the lack of funding we are giving to it.

JFK once challenged the US to be the first on the moon.  We spend billions to do it, and did.  For moon rocks.  Tell me why an organization such as NASA can't be formed to conquer the task?  Look at all the inventions that came out of NASA's research.  Thermal underwear, microwave ovens, etc.  Why, are we spending the lives of our children on a war to (let's be honest) is designed to get a hold on Iraq and Afghanistan's oil. 

I know I'm on a rant here and apologize.  So my last word is this.  Currently 32% of the US citizens approve of George Bush's policies and governing of the country.  Literally 2/3 of the nation disapprove of the job he is doing.  Why do we impeach a president for wiretapping an opponents phone during an election, getting a stain on an intern's dress, but fail to impeach for doing a terrible job?  Again sorry for going off topic......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard