Which LCD screen (if any)?

Viewsonic Vx2025wm (20.1")46%46% - 14
Samsung 930B 19"16%16% - 5
Samsung Syncmaster 19" TFT LCD Flat Panel33%33% - 10
stick with 16?" CRT..3%3% - 1
Total: 30
CommieChipmunk
+488|6578|Portland, OR, USA
So right now i'm playin on a small CRT monitor and i'm looking to go LCD.  I've narrowed it down to the top three which i put on the poll, all have 8 ms response time and are either 19" or bigger.  I have a 6800 gt, so first i want to know how much this would effect my framerates, right now i'm running all high 4x AA and i get anywhere from 30 at the lowest to mid 60s at the highest (i'll get 103 in planes sometimes though..)

Anyways, I want someones advice who has either had or has one of these LCDs and can help me figure out which ones best

The size doesnt really matter, 20.1" would be nice but if its guna lower the settings.... anyways i'm just looking for overall quality of picture.

If you have any other recommended LCDs by all means name 'em.  Thanks
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6603|Ohio, USA
I put my vote in for the samsung 930b (being the same monitor that I have).  The monitor has excellent image quality, uses DVI (improved color and quality), good response time (no real visible ghosting of any sort), and has a small dent in desk room.  The only negative is that it can't really be modified for different heights.  I would decide between that and the 20.1'' Viewsonic monitor (although Dell and Gateway's offerings are also excellent for the widescreen market -- see if you can get a 2005FPW [I believe is the ending, that or FWP] for cheap).  The only problem with the widescreen monitors is that not all games support their resolutions, but this can be fixed normally pretty easily through a config file fix http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ I believe is the site that most people go to.

Last edited by Janus67 (2006-05-21 13:33:23)

acdc
+37|6584|SEATTLE, WA
I wouldnt do any of those.  Check these out.  I plan on purchasing one of these 3, I'm leaning towards the 204b because of it's massive size of 20.1

All Viewsonics come with a DVI cable, however most Samsung models do not, for instance the 19" 930b and the 940b don't come with a DVI cable but, all Viewsonics do and the Samsung 204b does (I think because it's a 20.1 they think they should include one, unlike their 19" models)

-----

Viewsonic VX924  - 19" 5ms response Gaming LCD older model (little cheaper)

$304.99

($264.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116355

-----

Viewsonic VX922  - 19" 2ms response Gaming LCD newest model (more expensive)

$269.99

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375

-----

Samsung 204b - 20.1" 5ms response Gaming LCD

$399.99

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226

Last edited by acdc (2006-05-21 15:08:24)

EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6660
Viewsonic make excellent LCD's, got the VX924 sitting in front of me now.

Been playing with the idea of getting either a VX922 or one of those widescreen jobbies myself.

Set it up as a second monitor and an extended desktop.
Jack Bauer
WWJD - What Would Jack Do
+26|6562
Samsung makes some of the best LCD screens out there.  Which brand of LCD screens does dell rebadge? You guessed it, samsung.

Regards,

Jack Bauer

*EDIT*

Also, I'd like to add that I've seen a lot of Viewsonic screens crap out (bad backlights) after a year or two.

just my .02c

Last edited by Jack Bauer (2006-05-22 15:09:35)

Croak
+11|6813|San Marcos, CA
I wouldn't worry TOO much about your 6800GT at 1650x1080. 

My last system was a socket 754 A64 3000+, 2mb RAM, using a BFG 6800GT AGP, and I got decent BF2 frames at that resolution, though I had to turn AA off. The upgrade to my Dell 2005FPW from a six year old 20" Sony CRT running at 1280x1024 was pretty dramatic at the time.

I've went a wee bit bigger since then...20" just wasn't big enough...37" is juuuuuuust right. 
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Just some things to keep in mind when buying an LCD.

1. Response time.  Yes lower is better, but make sure what numbers they are posting.  Some times they post the black-white-black numbers and some times the gray-to-gray numbers.  For gaming a good gray-to-gray time is better, but the black-white-black should not be ignored either.

2. Look at contrast ratio.  The higher the better.  This has to do with the contrast between the darkest dark and lightest light.  A monitor with a higher contrast ratio will do better and producing blacks; LCDs have a hard time with black anyway, and sometimes black will appear somewhat purple in color.

3. Look at the viewing angle.  The higher the better.  LCDs lose image quality and color reproduction/clarity as you start changing your viewing angle from a dead on front view.

4. DVI input(s).  Some higher end monitors will have dual DVI inputs, some will have a D-Sub and DVI, and some lower end units will only have a D-Sub.  The little extra money for a DVI input is well worth it.  Unlike a CRT, which is an analog device, an LCD is a digital device.  Since the data in your computer is also digital, using an analog D-Sub input requires the digital data in your computer to be run through the video card's DAC to convert it to analog, then it must be converted back to digital at the monitor.  This does result in lowered image quality, especially when viewing text.

5. Warranty.  Make sure you know what the warranty is.  I personally wouldn't touch a monitor that doesn't have a 3-year warranty that covers everything including the backlights; the warranty for the backlights can be different than the rest of the monitor.

6. Pixel policy.  Since LCD panels cannot be tested for defects prior to the completion of the panel's manufacturing, most companies have a pixel policy that allows for a certain number of pixel/sub-pixel failures before the display will be warrantied.  Full pixel failures will show up as a white dot (stuck on) or black dot (stuck off).  Sub-pixel failures will appear as red, green, or blue dots.

7. Native resolution.  When gaming on an LCD you need to consider the panel's native resolution.  Since an LCD cannot span resolutions without loss of image quality, like a CRT can, playing at the native resolution is always preferrable.  There are ways to work around this, by configuring the monitor to only use the pixels for the specified resolution.  However, this will result in borders on the top/bottom, sides, or both.  Aside from widescreen monitor resolutions, 19" LCDs use a native resolution of 1280x1024, and 20" LCDs are 1600x1200.
Maxxxie74
+25|6579|Brisbane, Australia
I have a VX924 3ms monitor, and it is just superb.  I've never had a moment of trouble with it.  It's clear and bright, no ghosting or distortion.  My only complaint is that the height cannot be adjusted, but I can live with that.  It has DVI and analog inputs, but why bother with analog?  Go digital.  They provide cables for DVI with the monitor.

I would like to add that its native (maximum) resolution is 1280x1024, which some people might think is restrictive.  Personally, I run at 1024x768, so it doesn't bother me.

Cheers,
Max.

Last edited by Maxxxie74 (2006-05-23 21:56:35)

acdc
+37|6584|SEATTLE, WA
I heard it ruins the life of the LCD screen if you don't run it at it's native resolution?

Also, where did you buy your 924 Max?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Brightness (cd/m2 or nits, as it may be described) is another factor to take into consideration. Low brightness is one of the factors of image degradation in extreme viewing angles.

Above all else, please go look at a screen in real life before buying it. If at all possible...

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Just some things to keep in mind when buying an LCD.

1. Response time.  Yes lower is better, but make sure what numbers they are posting.  Some times they post the black-white-black numbers and some times the gray-to-gray numbers.  For gaming a good gray-to-gray time is better, but the black-white-black should not be ignored either.

2. Look at contrast ratio.  The higher the better.  This has to do with the contrast between the darkest dark and lightest light.  A monitor with a higher contrast ratio will do better and producing blacks; LCDs have a hard time with black anyway, and sometimes black will appear somewhat purple in color.

3. Look at the viewing angle.  The higher the better.  LCDs lose image quality and color reproduction/clarity as you start changing your viewing angle from a dead on front view.

4. DVI input(s).  Some higher end monitors will have dual DVI inputs, some will have a D-Sub and DVI, and some lower end units will only have a D-Sub.  The little extra money for a DVI input is well worth it.  Unlike a CRT, which is an analog device, an LCD is a digital device.  Since the data in your computer is also digital, using an analog D-Sub input requires the digital data in your computer to be run through the video card's DAC to convert it to analog, then it must be converted back to digital at the monitor.  This does result in lowered image quality, especially when viewing text.

5. Warranty.  Make sure you know what the warranty is.  I personally wouldn't touch a monitor that doesn't have a 3-year warranty that covers everything including the backlights; the warranty for the backlights can be different than the rest of the monitor.

6. Pixel policy.  Since LCD panels cannot be tested for defects prior to the completion of the panel's manufacturing, most companies have a pixel policy that allows for a certain number of pixel/sub-pixel failures before the display will be warrantied.  Full pixel failures will show up as a white dot (stuck on) or black dot (stuck off).  Sub-pixel failures will appear as red, green, or blue dots.

7. Native resolution.  When gaming on an LCD you need to consider the panel's native resolution.  Since an LCD cannot span resolutions without loss of image quality, like a CRT can, playing at the native resolution is always preferrable.  There are ways to work around this, by configuring the monitor to only use the pixels for the specified resolution.  However, this will result in borders on the top/bottom, sides, or both.  Aside from widescreen monitor resolutions, 19" LCDs use a native resolution of 1280x1024, and 20" LCDs are 1600x1200.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6684|Planet Seibertron ;)
Adding in to the vote to beware of the Pixel Policy.  I do not know how much things have improved since LCD became so commonplace.  But it's always good to check with the manufacturer and store with their policy on pixels.  CompUSA, which I have heard, has a 0-tolerance policy on dead and stuck pixels.  If that's true that it's a good option to get it from there if possible.  If purchasing the panel from the store, it's in your best interests to ask them to help test out the panel prior to walking out the door.  This ensures that if they do have a zero-tolance policy on pixels that they'll find you a replacement right away and it'll likely save you a return trip.  My 19" cheap-o panel here, grabbed from CompUSA on Black Friday, came home with 9 stuck subpixels of all three color types: reds, greens, and blues.  I got a replacement since then and it's been pixel perfect across the board.

And DVI is an absolute must... accept nothing less.  I have shotty eyes and when I have migrated from my old Matrox G400 video card, it took me a while to get used to ATI's and NVIDIA's lesser DACs.  The difference between them is visible even to me.  It'll be the same when you view your desktop via DVI when compared to analog VGA.

There are other "measurable" factors... like it has been pointed out before.  If you intend to game, anything in the 16ms range is "good enough".  But do not buy into the hype of 6ms or 2ms or whatnot.  Try to adhere to visual quality as a high priority over anything else.  The better the colors are represented in the panel, the more you'll find your investment to be well made.  Just remember that this is something you're going to end up staring at for a while.... at least, for at around 5 years or so...
acdc
+37|6584|SEATTLE, WA
Yeah the question is whether to buy from a retail store or online.

Store -

Pro

Able to return if you get a LCD with dead pixels

Con

Sometimes more than $150 more than online (depends on the model and tax)

Online -

Pro

Cheap

Con

Stuck with dead pixels

-----

Many people I know have ordered LCD screens from newegg, none have gotten dead pixels but, I know when I order mine I will get them with my luck.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6801
I have a VX924 as well but I run mine at the native resolution of 1280x1024.  Everything on BF2 looks wonderful and at the weekend I got the Kylie Minogue Showgirl tour dvd... awesome!

Being in the UK, I got mine from Watford Electronics - http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/pr … strat=3240 - as they were doing the best deal at the time on all the stuff I ordered at the time (graphics card, monitor, ram, mouse).  Gonna have to check the warranty now though, as I've got a dead pixel (light blue) near the centre of the screen
Nexa
+2|6763
I've recently gotten the Viewsonic VX2025vm 20.1" Wide-screen, after spending much time reseacrhing for a new TFT.

This screen is great, especially for the price. 

I was very apprehensive about wide-screen, but now I'd definitely have a WS TFT any day over a normal, response time on this screen is 8ms and it plays BF2 really well.

U get a DVI cable and a normal cable as well, it's got built in speakers, but Viewsonic should not have bothered with these, it's basic compared to say a dell tft - no USB ports, but its excellent value for money and it's a lovely colourful and bright picture.

Hopefully some help for you
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6628|Mhz

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/moni … e=Features

My current one and one of the best, 6ms, 1500:1 contrast. pisses on most of its competition.
Maxxxie74
+25|6579|Brisbane, Australia

acdc wrote:

I heard it ruins the life of the LCD screen if you don't run it at it's native resolution?

Also, where did you buy your 924 Max?
Hi acdc!  I don't think there are any problems running in lower res, in so far as ruining the LCD, however some LCD monitors do not scale down well.  In other words, lower resolutions look like crap.  The Viewsonic works fine at 1024x768.  I should also have added that this monitor is 2-3ms response time.

I bought my 924 from Umart, a local distributor here in Brisbane (they're in Milton).  www.umart.com.au.

Cheers,
Max.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard