Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6757
DISCLAIMER: Yes, a medic guide has recently been featured, but I disagree with most of it, so I'm writing my own. Also, it doesn't have anything on weapons. No offense to the author, it’s quite a good guide anyway.

Intro

So, you’ve decided to play medic. Whether you’re good at it, bad at it, or terrible at it and no idea what to do, this guide will cater.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good: Medics generally score the highest points in a round. You also get effectively unlimited health, as you can heal yourself. It’s the closest thing to cheating! You also get to help your team win, by reducing the number of deaths.

The Bad: Without any medic unlocks, you’re a sort of assault class without body armor, not so great.

The Ugly: You’ll have to throw yourself into the line of fire sometimes to save people. But not to worry.

The Guns

”Medics have guns? I thought they only have health packs and the defibrillator …” – A noob, 2006.

Anyway, you have, as normal, three guns to choose from. We’ll start with the defaults. As you probably know, medics get the same default guns as the assault class. So, to prevent you looking, I’ll paste the stuff in form the assault guide (I wrote some of the weapon section, but thanks to Sgt.Davi as well for the rest).

AK 101 (MEC) and AK 47 (PLA)

These two guns are the most versatile in the game. They're effectively the same (the 47 does 1 more damage and the 101 has less maximum deviation added per shot). In english, you can use them for everything. Close up spraying has effects similar to a shotgun. The 30 shot magazine will take a large group down on close-quarters maps. Firing in 4/5 round bursts can be very accurate, and since you only need 3-5 rounds to take down a target, not many need to hit. Finally, going prone, zoomed and single shot gives you very good accuracy and you can drop snipers with 3 bullets. The 101 is always superior to the AK-74U. the AK47 only appears on large maps (and some SF ones), so the QBZ spec-ops gun tends to be better. Still, if you like capping bases and rushing the enemy, it is a must-have.

M16A2

This is very accurate, regardless of stance. The 3 round burst does not make it a popular choice, however you must adapt if you are going to use it. Try to crouch when firing at an enemy, just to make your shots count. Many of you will have unlocked the G36E, this gun is the slightly less effective version. Going prone will give you a little extra accuracy, but zooming makes the real difference. Try not to engage in close combat, you can easily take out other assaults and spec ops from medium range. This gun is pretty useless for flag capping, so be prepared to sit back and cover the flag while your teammates take it. Overall, this gun is best used on larger, open maps such as Dalian Plant, Dragon Valley and Zatar Wetlands. Stay away from it on Karkand and Sharqi. Finally, it will kill armoured in 6 shots, and non-armoured in 4. So 2 bursts should take anyone down.

Now for the unlocks. Surprisingly, the medic gets two of the best unlocks in the game, the L85A1, and the G36E.

L85A1

Please note: This gun used to be crap, before one of the patches (1.03?). If you haven’t used it since then, try it out, its far better now.

The L85A1 performs well at long and short ranges, but not so well at medium. It has quite a large deviation added per shot. This means it gets less accurate with every shot you fire. This sounds bad, but is very useful at short ranges, as you can spray them without missing. At long ranges, it does enough damage for a 1 shot head shot. The 2.5x zoom scope allows you to place these well. It will also kill non-armored (including snipers) in 3 shots, so you can take snipers down without too much hassle if you place your shots well. This gun suffers at medium ranges, as it’s too inaccurate on automatic fire. But with practice, it becomes very effective.

G36E

This is by far the most used and best medic weapon. It’s the second unlock, so you need Special Forces to get it, as well as the L85. Why is it so good, you ask? Well, it’s so insanely accurate. The only things more accurate are a PKM while prone, or a sniper rifle. The downside is, it only fires in 3 shot bursts. However, the high rate of fire means you can use these bursts like you would single shot on other guns. 2 bursts will drop anyone, 1 will do 80-90% damage. Guaranteeing a kill assist. Generally, all three bullets hit or they don’t, you’re unlikely to hit with only one. This gun will work on any map bar Karkand, and can work well there (although not recommended near the hotel).

The Health Packs

The medic receives a number of health packs with which to heal himself and others. Embarrassingly I can’t remember how many. Still, they can be used in two ways:

-Holding the pack slowly heals yourself and others around you.
-Dropping a pack fully heals anyone who picks one up.

Facts/Hints about the health packs

-They recharge automatically, you don’t need to pickup ammo.

-If you drop them all, you can’t hold one in your hand as of the latest patch. You’ll have to wait for them to recharge.

-To get a healing point, you must heal 100% of health. Say Bob has 40% health and runs over your pack, you’ve healed 60% health. Then Jim runs over another pack, he has 50% health. You’ve now healed 110% health, and get a point. You now need to heal another 90% to get a second point. This means you can’t get a point from healing a single person.

-When to hold your pack instead of dropping it: Only do this when you’ve lost a small amount of health and need to stay on the move. For example, you’ve been shot a few times and can’t see your enemy. Get out your health back and start running for cover. Its also useful if you lose health from jumping off a building.

-When to drop packs: Always drop packs to heal someone, they won’t stick around to wait for you to heal them slowly. Drop packs to heal yourself if you have time and cover. Also, for the health trick, go prone, look straight down and drop all your packs. As you get shot you’ll heal automatically. You may be accused of cheating as it looks like you’re invincible.

-Where to drop packs: Many people drop them around friendly flags. That’s pointless, as you spawn with full health, and not many people defend flags. Place your packs at choke points (eg: alley in Karkand, bridge in Mashtuur), so people can’t help but run over them. Also, if you see an injured person, throw the bag either at him so he gets it automatically or in front of him where he can see it. Don’t throw it behind him, he won’t get it. When healing yourself, try to drop it near your feet, then run over it two/three times so it registers.

-Overall, you should heal people. The pointwhoring medics tend not to heal people, but let them die before reviving them, normally giving the enemy two kills. You get the most amounts of points from healing and reviving. Also, healing is much more reliable, you only get around 10 seconds to revive someone.

-When not to use packs: When healing someone in a firefight. Help him shoot the enemy first, then heal or revive him. Never run around with your packs out, always keep your gun ready.

-When to heal yourself: Whenever you’ve won a fight against enemies and have sufficient cover. Never heal yourself in the open, always run back or sideways to find somewhere to shelter. Same applies if you’ve been sniped, but be extra careful about the cover. Even if you emerge and you get shot again, the sniper will be very surprised to see you alive when he’s shot you twice!

The Defibrillator

Contrary to popular belief, its spelt defib, not defrib.
Anyway, the defibs are a pair of shock paddles used to revive people. They can be used a short-range weapon as well, but this isn’t advised, as the long reload time means you won’t get more than one kill in most circumstances.

There are two main methods of reviving someone effectively:

1.    The “revive dive” – In this method, you go prone next to the body of the dead and zap him.
Advantages: hard to miss.
Disadvantages: Makes you easy to target from close range, and leaves you near the danger zone for longer.

This method works well for longer ranged maps, as going prone makes you a smaller target at long range.

2.    The “standing revive” and “running revive” – In this method, you run over the dead body and zap his chest. The running version requires you to zap him while running, so you don’t stop moving. However, that needs practice, so it’s best to start off standing for practice.
Advantages: much harder to hit a running target, gets you away from danger zone quickly.
Disadvantages: Hard to aim correctly, requires a lot of practice.

This method works better at short range maps.

Facts/Hints about the defibs

-To revive someone you need to aim for the torso. The legs don’t work.

-To revive/kill someone you don’t have to be touching them, you can be about 1m away.

-They’re 1 shot kill to enemies, so if you need to make a silent kill, use it sintead of the knife.

-Using them as your main weapon on Karkand (which is possible) is not advised unless you’ve had serious practice.

-Keeping them out to quickly revive anyone is a complete waste of time. You get 10-15 seconds to revive someone. That doesn’t sound like much, so count to 15, now.

One elephant, two elephant, three elephant…

See? Quite a long time. So, always keep your gun out, move into the area, check that its clear or kill anyone if it isn’t, THEN revive the person. Otherwise, you’ll get killed before you get to the dead guy, or you’ll revive him and then both got killed.

Conclusion

Playing as medic doesn’t have to be all points and no fun. Kill and heal. Kill and revive. You’re an assault with infininte health and the abaility to get tons of points. What are you waiting for?

Last edited by Talon (2006-05-20 14:38:09)

travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6696|U.S
actually the defibs reload when you put them away as of patch 1.22
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Very nice guide m8
Talon
+341|6757

travisb05 wrote:

Not that I don't belive you, but can anybody confirm this?
Kobrakai
Weirdo
+152|6785|England

Talon wrote:

travisb05 wrote:

Not that I don't belive you, but can anybody confirm this?
Confirmed.
Talon
+341|6757
Changed, thanks.
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6632|South Jersey
you said:   Also, it doesn't have anything on weapons. 

uh, yes it does.  half of the guide is on weapons.

Last edited by -Gunsmoke- (2006-05-20 14:51:59)

Lamsey
+11|6643|Glasgow, Scotland
Excellent guide, although there is one point I'd consider an important addition:

Talon wrote:

-When to hold your pack instead of dropping it: Only do this when you’ve lost a small amount of health and need to stay on the move. For example, you’ve been shot a few times and can’t see your enemy. Get out your health back and start running for cover. Its also useful if you lose health from jumping off a building.

-When to drop packs: Always drop packs to heal someone, they won’t stick around to wait for you to heal them slowly. Drop packs to heal yourself if you have time and cover. Also, for the health trick, go prone, look straight down and drop all your packs. As you get shot you’ll heal automatically. You may be accused of cheating as it looks like you’re invincible.
Dropping packs is preferable almost all of the time. The one time you do not want to do it is if you're sitting trying to quietly capture a flag or blow up assets or whatever without the enemy noticing. When you drop packs, a 'medic pack' icon appears on the HUD and your soldier yells "First Aid! Here!" ingame.

The first thing you're going to hear after that is "Frag Grenade!" "Grenade!" "Grenade out!" "Grenade!" as all the enemies around you throw all the high-explosive ordnance they can find onto your quivering, prone body...
Brasso
+1,549|6627

Lamsey wrote:

Excellent guide, although there is one point I'd consider an important addition:

Talon wrote:

Dropping packs is preferable almost all of the time. The one time you do not want to do it is if you're sitting trying to quietly capture a flag or blow up assets or whatever without the enemy noticing. When you drop packs, a 'medic pack' icon appears on the HUD and your soldier yells "First Aid! Here!" ingame.

The first thing you're going to hear after that is "Frag Grenade!" "Grenade!" "Grenade out!" "Grenade!" as all the enemies around you throw all the high-explosive ordnance they can find onto your quivering, prone body...
lol its "Frag out!" or "Gombe entumbola!" as the MEC team says...
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Yeah the self-healing thing is retarded. Oh well. Infinite health, good thing they have no body armor and there's loads of medics. If you down a medic and got shot abit, just take their kit, re-heal yourself and go back to your own kit. Do it well and you're basically a re-healing, G3 toting, Body armor wearing, assault maniac. There's no exceptions as medics are found plentiful in any map, anywhere. Hope they don't get rid of the re-healing.

Very nice guide.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2006-05-20 16:26:58)

M_Harrower
Will code HTML for food
+114|6571
Nice guide! +1
FromTheAshes
+53|6701
Clear! Alright buddy, your good to go now get back to the fight!
comet241
+164|6762|Normal, IL
ok, as the author of "the other guide" i take offense at the comment that it has nothing on weapons. in fact, it has quite a bit on weapons, especially all the "other" weapons that you didn't cover like defib and nade and whatnot, but im open to any and all constructive criticism.

Your comments on the guns themselves are impressive and i aggree wholeheartedly that the g36e is the best medic weapon, and in my opinion, in most general situations, the best gun out there in bf2, imo....

i agree that dropping packs at friendly flags is useless, and stated that very explicitly in my post. in regards to your comment on around 10 seconds to revive someone, you infact have exactly 15 seconds to save somones life once they get critically wounded. as far as your comments on killing enemies before reviving fallen comrads is totally opinion based i feel. if you are with friendly troops who should be doing their job, get the revive first, because they should, note the should, be covering your ass and getting the non-friendlies. if you are alone, sure, get the kill first, if you feel you can before the time is up. as a medic, you are expendable, your whole goal is to keep others alive, getting kills is second, imo. other people think otherwise....

I think we agree on most everything, we just covered different areas with different intensity. add what you think needs to be added to my post in the favorites section for a more complete guide for everyone.

to be honest, i haven't played medic but a couple hours in the last few months since i got the hundred hours and the expert combat medic for both vanilla and sf. ive been focusing on other kits. from what ive seen the medic kit has been nerfed pretty badly since patch 1.22 or so, with the f-ed up reviving and bag tossing, but maybe 1.3 with fix it all.....  nice adds
Darky
Hi..
+71|6559|Here.

comet241 wrote:

as far as your comments on killing enemies before reviving fallen comrads is totally opinion based i feel. if you are with friendly troops who should be doing their job, get the revive first, because they should, note the should, be covering your ass and getting the non-friendlies. if you are alone, sure, get the kill first, if you feel you can before the time is up. as a medic, you are expendable, your whole goal is to keep others alive, getting kills is second, imo. other people think otherwise....
They are called combat medics for a reason. I have well over 60 hours as medic, and its my prefered class out of all classes.

Classic example is this. 3 of you in a fire fight and you're the only medic. Your 2 team mates go down, leaving 2-3 enemies. Take them down first, then revive. No good giving them an open shot and getting yourself killed before you can revive your fallen team mates.

Other then that, I prefer the 101 over the G36 and the L85 over the M16.
Sgt.Zubie
+77|6572
Nice guide, thanks +1
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6640|England
Oh I see its time for me to write another guide........
Talon
+341|6757
Thanks for all commments/karma
Shopvac
If it doesn't say shop-vac keep shopping!
+25|6537|Grand Rapids, MI

Darky wrote:

They are called combat medics for a reason. I have well over 60 hours as medic, and its my prefered class out of all classes.

Classic example is this. 3 of you in a fire fight and you're the only medic. Your 2 team mates go down, leaving 2-3 enemies. Take them down first, then revive. No good giving them an open shot and getting yourself killed before you can revive your fallen team mates.

If these three guys take out two of your friends, what makes anyone think that they would then be able to kill these opponents and then heal their comrades in the 15 second window?

I still like the original post by Comet the best. That's why it's in the favorites section.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6582|Seattle
m16 is more accurate on single than the g36E but good guide.
Sea_JayUK
+19|6520|Notts

Shopvac wrote:

Darky wrote:

If these three guys take out two of your friends, what makes anyone think that they would then be able to kill these opponents and then heal their comrades in the 15 second window?

I still like the original post by Comet the best. That's why it's in the favorites section.
You have to try otherwise your just extending their time to spawn.
I was on Karkand yesterday and saw a guy on UAV who was running around a corner which i was the other side of, of course i waited and killed him as he rounded only to have a medic revive the guy from out of my sight.... another kill, another revive. It was at least 3 revives before I manage to take the medic down aswell but that guy was an asshole. Once the original guy was revived I couldnt really leave him be or he'd have shot me!
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6694|Germany
Same applies if you’ve been sniped, but be extra careful about the cover. Even if you emerge and you get shot again, the sniper will be very surprised to see you alive when he’s shot you twice!
No,I won't be surprised because I know the "heroic" strategy of the "brave and mighty" medics.

But the medic will be surprised that I'm finishing him off with a clean headshot,use his kit to heal myself and if there's still time - teabag the naughty nurse.

rdx-fx wrote:

L85A1, single shot = mini-dragunov.  Try it as an anti-sniper weapon on any map with a TV/Radio station (to pick off the TV/Radio camper-snipers).
To be truly perverse, use it on wake.  Quite funny to keep up with the snipers picking on the U.S. artillery island.
LOL!!! Yeah,I'd like to see that on Wake.
The Type88 has a x3.33 zoom,the L85A1 has a x2.5 zoom.
From where I usually shoot you can just see the people in the middle of the island,the stinger site is not visible(with the type88!).
With the M24/M95/L96A1(all x5 zoom) I have spots where people also begin to disappear when they move a bit away(but that's at around 450 meters).
And you think you can "keep up" with your x2.5 zoom? You would have to crawl at the edge of the beach to see anything and are just another stupid target for every real sniper.
But hey,I won't stop you,every dead medic is a good medic.

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-08-22 10:47:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard