unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

If English is made the official language of the US, it'll basically just be icing.

I think US citizens should be encouraged to learn as many foreign language as they can, as opposed to sitting on their collective asses watching TV. But all the same, I would love it if immigrants learned proper English so that they could make themselves understood by the average American. This is can be a particular problem in the medical field...communication between patient and doctor.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-21 03:14:05)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6844
Thats all they ever do is " Play the Race Card."
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

Are you actually telling me that it is mean of me to expect someone who comes to my country and wants to be a part of it to insist they learn our language??
Not necessarily.  I *am* saying:

1) If they know English but choose not to speak it between themselves, they shouldn't be scolded for it.

2) If they're the ones propping up your economy, I wouldn't criticise them.
And how is 10,000 illegal aliens a day coming to America, lowering the working wage, NOT paying taxes, leeching off of ALL of our social services while not contributing to them helping to "prop up" our economy??
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

If they don't speak English, then they have no damn business being citizens of this country...assuming they are citizens at all.

Just keep in mind that this proposal is for government business only.
But the fact is, saying that is all well and good, but if the citizens don't speak it, then they won't be able to obey road signs and such.  How is that a good thing?
Then they won't be issued driver licenses and they will be criminally liable ( YET AGAIN ), this time for their driving illegally.

Last edited by lowing (2006-05-21 06:45:05)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If English is made the official language of the US, it'll basically just be icing.

I think US citizens should be encouraged to learn as many foreign language as they can, as opposed to sitting on their collective asses watching TV. But all the same, I would love it if immigrants learned proper English so that they could make themselves understood by the average American. This is can be a particular problem in the medical field...communication between patient and doctor.
I agree with this 100%.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6659|USA

skratch-x wrote:

lowing wrote:

Noooooo of course not, lets make EVERYONE else uncomfortable and pissed off that we have to change to accommodate THEM. Heavens for bid that they assimilate themselves to OUR society.

Are you actually telling me that it is mean of me to expect someone who comes to my country and wants to be a part of it to insist they learn our language??
lol@"heavens for bid"  You might want to learn your own country's idioms before asking others to learn English.
Sorry teacher, I put a space, and separated "for" and "bid"..I will try and be more careful as I now know that my posts are being graded for punctuation and grammar more than for substance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard