Erkut.hv
+124|6733|California
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national … -1805r.htm

Discuss please

Last edited by Erkut.hv (2006-05-19 06:22:27)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559
It's a logical measure, although given the time at which it has been introduced, I can understand what he's saying.  *However*, I don't know him, and he's probably just doing for the immigrant vote.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6769|Atlanta, GA USA
He's pandering.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6696

It's hardly racist, i'm tired of people saying 'I come over here illigally and I can't speak english, they get mad at ME?! Why, that's racism!' UGH I just get so pissed.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

Although never made an "official" language, there was a vote to have a single language under which the government of this country would operate.  The vote was between English and German...English won by only 1 vote.  None the less, that is the language that was chosen, and it has been the language of this country ever since, official or not.  It's time to make it official.

As far as I'm concerned, all government offices, documents, etc. should be in English only, and that includes everything down to the most basic local government levels.  If private businesses still want to post bi-lingual signs, that's their business, but government affairs should be in English only.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559
Why?  If a particular area has a large number of people who only speak a certain language, it makes sense to have signs in those languages.  The fact that it is an official language ought mean that everything is done in that language, not necessarily that everything is done in *only* that language.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

Bubbalo wrote:

Why?  If a particular area has a large number of people who only speak a certain language, it makes sense to have signs in those languages.  The fact that it is an official language ought mean that everything is done in that language, not necessarily that everything is done in *only* that language.
If they don't speak English, then they have no damn business being citizens of this country...assuming they are citizens at all.

Just keep in mind that this proposal is for government business only.
ArMaG3dD0n
+24|6833|Deutschland/Germany

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Although never made an "official" language, there was a vote to have a single language under which the government of this country would operate.  The vote was between English and German...English won by only 1 vote.  None the less, that is the language that was chosen, and it has been the language of this country ever since, official or not.  It's time to make it official.
As far as I know this vote is just a legend.....
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

ArMaG3dD0n wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

As far as I know this vote is just a legend.....
Regardless.  It would be too hard to try and have a government that has to work within many different languages.  There needs to be a defined language, and since English has been the primary language, it should be made the official language.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

If they don't speak English, then they have no damn business being citizens of this country...assuming they are citizens at all.

But the fact is, saying that is all well and good, but if the citizens don't speak it, then they won't be able to obey road signs and such.  How is that a good thing?
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6769|Atlanta, GA USA

Bubbalo wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

But the fact is, saying that is all well and good, but if the citizens don't speak it, then they won't be able to obey road signs and such.  How is that a good thing?
Most road signs use symbols, not words, and would not be affected.  And I'm sorry, but they can figure out what "Road Work" means.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

If private businesses still want to post bi-lingual signs, that's their business, but government affairs should be in English only.
Fine, signs *in general*.  Happy now?
yerded
Bertinator
+255|6634|Westminster, California
Reid...
Artillary! His area!
Starfleet1403
...to bodly spawn where no one has spawned before!
+66|6620|Born in West-Berlin
In my humble opinion. If I choose to live in a Country other than the one I was born in, than I have to f**king adapt to that country's standards, therefor learn its language.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6653|United States of America
I think that Language should be random in the US. Maybe Chinesse taught in one public school, while 8 blocks over the public school is teaching only Latin, and Schools in Wyoming only teach should teach Spanish. 

This way the Liberals will all be happy because the US will be as F@#%ed up as they are.

I'm so sick of the rampant stupidity in the US that we need to start shipping some of these morons to France where they can live in their own "Utopia" of stupidity.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

There should not be anyone speaking ONLY in a foriegn language in the USA. I shouldn't have to choose between Spainish and English whenever I try and do business over the damn phone. It shouldn't be EXPECTED that when I am in Miami that I speak Spainish.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

Major_Spittle wrote:

I'm so sick of the rampant stupidity in the US that we need to start shipping some of these morons to France where they can live in their own "Utopia" of stupidity.
France is stupid, eh?  This coming from an American?

lowing wrote:

There should not be anyone speaking ONLY in a foriegn language in the USA. I shouldn't have to choose between Spainish and English whenever I try and do business over the damn phone. It shouldn't be EXPECTED that when I am in Miami that I speak Spainish.
Which is why *everything* should be done in English.  I just don't see why *some* things can't also be done in other languages.  As in English *or* Spanish, in your example.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-05-20 20:02:26)

Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6711|Wherever the F**k i feel like
Well i think that this is a good idea. ALL of the united states founders spoke english. we teach english in our schools as the prime language. And what about other countries? do people claim it rascist when Britain made its offical language english? no. Listening to this bull$h!t spewed out of this dee dee dee's mouth i just wonder how someone can be so unintellegent.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

France is stupid, eh?  This coming from an American?

lowing wrote:

Which is why *everything* should be done in English.  I just don't see why *some* things can't also be done in other languages.  As in English *or* Spanish, in your example.
Funny thing today I was in line to get my drivers license renewed, All races were pretty much represented in this line and we were all talking. 2 Mexicans started speaking in Spainish, when a hispanic middle aged woman piped up and scolded them, saying "When you are around people that don't speak Spainish it is rude for you to speak it in front of them. They might think you are talking about them. You are in America and you need to be speaking in English!" A few people in line thanked her for saying that and she almost got an applause. She was a better American than any of us in that line today.

Last edited by lowing (2006-05-20 21:16:55)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

lowing wrote:

Funny thing today I was in line to get my drivers license renewed, All races were pretty much represented in this line and we were all talking. 2 Mexicans started speaking in Spainish, when a hispanic middle aged woman piped up and scolded them, saying "When you are around people that don't speak Spainish it is rude for you to speak it in front of them. They might think you are talking about them. You are in America and you need to be speaking in English!" A few people in line thanked her for saying that and she almost got an applause. She was a better American than any of us in that line today.
And it's not mean to make them talk in a language that might make them feel uncomfortable and restrict the number of words they can use?  About half of the Year 12's at my school come from Asia, and speak their native tongue in front of me.  Sometimes halfway through a conversation.  I don't scold them (the teachers do because they need to learn English for exams, but that's a whole other reason)
Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6711|Wherever the F**k i feel like

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

And it's not mean to make them talk in a language that might make them feel uncomfortable and restrict the number of words they can use?  About half of the Year 12's at my school come from Asia, and speak their native tongue in front of me.  Sometimes halfway through a conversation.  I don't scold them (the teachers do because they need to learn English for exams, but that's a whole other reason)
Hmm. I would think that if i were to move to Russia i would speak russian. so people would understand what i say. I f these people refuse to learn a language that is VITAL to thier survival and succes in a country then thats thier problem.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

Noooooo of course not, lets make EVERYONE else uncomfortable and pissed off that we have to change to
accommodate THEM. Heavens for bid that they assimilate themselves to OUR society.

Are you actually telling me that it is mean of me to expect someone who comes to my country and wants to be a part of it to insist they learn our language??

Last edited by lowing (2006-05-20 22:20:47)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

lowing wrote:

Are you actually telling me that it is mean of me to expect someone who comes to my country and wants to be a part of it to insist they learn our language??
Not necessarily.  I *am* saying:

1) If they know English but choose not to speak it between themselves, they shouldn't be scolded for it.

2) If they're the ones propping up your economy, I wouldn't criticise them.
skratch-x
+25|6634|NY, USA

lowing wrote:

Noooooo of course not, lets make EVERYONE else uncomfortable and pissed off that we have to change to accommodate THEM. Heavens for bid that they assimilate themselves to OUR society.

lol@"heavens for bid"  You might want to learn your own country's idioms before asking others to learn English.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6653|United States of America

skratch-x wrote:

lowing wrote:

Noooooo of course not, lets make EVERYONE else uncomfortable and pissed off that we have to change to accommodate THEM. Heavens for bid that they assimilate themselves to OUR society.

lol@"heavens for bid"  You might want to learn your own country's idioms before asking others to learn English.
Please retype your comment in Spanish, I can read it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard