Erkut.hv
+124|6705|California
Chris Wattie
National Post

Friday, May 19, 2006

Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims.

"This is reminiscent of the Holocaust," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. "Iran is moving closer and closer to the ideology of the Nazis."

Iranian expatriates living in Canada yesterday confirmed reports that the Iranian parliament, called the Islamic Majlis, passed a law this week setting a dress code for all Iranians, requiring them to wear almost identical "standard Islamic garments."

The law, which must still be approved by Iran's "Supreme Guide" Ali Khamenehi before being put into effect, also establishes special insignia to be worn by non-Muslims.

Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth.

"There's no reason to believe they won't pass this," said Rabbi Hier. "It will certainly pass unless there's some sort of international outcry over this."

Bernie Farber, the chief executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, said he was "stunned" by the measure. "We thought this had gone the way of the dodo bird, but clearly in Iran everything old and bad is new again," he said. "It's state-sponsored religious discrimination."

Ali Behroozian, an Iranian exile living in Toronto, said the law could come into force as early as next year.

It would make religious minorities immediately identifiable and allow Muslims to avoid contact with non-Muslims.

Mr. Behroozian said it will make life even more difficult for Iran's small pockets of Jewish, Christian and other religious minorities -- the country is overwhelmingly Shi'ite Muslim. "They have all been persecuted for a while, but these new dress rules are going to make things worse for them," he said.

The new law was drafted two years ago, but was stuck in the Iranian parliament until recently when it was revived at the behest of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

A spokesman for the Iranian Embassy in Ottawa refused to comment on the measures. "This is nothing to do with anything here," said a press secretary who identified himself as Mr. Gharmani.

"We are not here to answer such questions."

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre has written to Kofi Annan, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, protesting the Iranian law and calling on the international community to bring pressure on Iran to drop the measure.

"The world should not ignore this," said Rabbi Hier. "The world ignored Hitler for many years -- he was dismissed as a demagogue, they said he'd never come to power -- and we were all wrong."

Mr. Farber said Canada and other nations should take action to isolate Mr. Ahmadinejad in light of the new law, which he called "chilling," and his previous string of anti-Semitic statements.

"There are some very frightening parallels here," he said. "It's time to start considering how we're going to deal with this person."

Mr. Ahmadinejad has repeatedly described the Holocaust as a myth and earlier this year announced Iran would host a conference to re-examine the history of the Nazis' "Final Solution."

He has caused international outrage by publicly calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Iran does not yet have nuclear weapons, but Tehran believed by Western nations to be developing its own nuclear military capability, in defiance of international protocols and peace treaties.

The United States, France and Israel accuse Iran of using a civilian nuclear program to secretly build a weapon. Iran denies this, saying its program is confined to generating electricity.
Sambuccashake
+126|6580|Sweden
Loonies...
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Erkut.hv wrote:

"This is reminiscent of the Holocaust," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. "Iran is moving closer and closer to the ideology of the Nazis."
Godwyn's Law.

Given that the measure includes standardised dress, it's really more similar to a 1984 style of thing than a Nazi thing.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6649
I can't wait to invade Iran , Syria next and then perhaps North Korea .
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
Uh, yeah, the US is *not* going to invade Iran.  They don't have the resources w/ out pulling out of Iraq, which they won't do.  And Iran knows it.  There's even *less* chance of them invading N. Korea, as China might have issues with that, particularly given the current strained relationship over Taiwan.
section9
+9|6817|USA
It's a bullshit story:
The National Post is sending shockwaves across the country this morning with a report that Iran's Parliament has passed a law requiring mandatory Holocaust style badges to identify Jews and Christians.
But independent reporter Meir Javdanfar, an Israeli Middle East expert who was born and raised in Tehran, says the report is false.
"It's absolutely factually incorrect," he told The New 940 Montreal.
"Nowhere in the law is there any talk of Jews and Christians having to wear different colours. I've checked it with sources both inside Iran and outside."
"The Iranian people would never stand for it. The Iranian government wouldn't be stupid enough to do it."
Political commentator and 940 Montreal host Beryl Waysman says the report is true, that the law was passed two years ago.
"Jews should wear yellow strips, Christians red strips, because according to the Iranian mullahs, if a Mulsim shakes hands with a non-Muslim he becomes unclean."

The National Post cites Iranian expatriots living in Canada as its primary source on the story.
The Post story can be read here: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news … mp;k=32073
(You may have to highlight the link and copy and paste it into your browser.)
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

North Korea ? I doubt it. China is the regional power there, and I don't think they'll sit and watch US tanks roll into their backyard.

Being a german myself, this measure surely reminds me of the yellow David's Star Jews in Nazi germany had to wear. Racial discrimination is typical for totalitarian regimes.

Is Ahmadinejad the new Hitler ? I don't know. But if we have learned anything from WWII, it is that Appeasement doesn't work. The UN needs to act quickly, because if Iran really is developing nuclar weapons, there might come the time when we cannot stop them so easily...
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6649
Man tons of people say we don't have the resources to take on Iran . We only have 300,000 troops in Iraq and Afghanistan . Not dout in my mind if we attacked Iran without the " don't worry we will rebuild your country for you " method we could take Iran just as quickly as we did Iraq .
It all boils down to political will .
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6547|Florida
If you only take full time military personnel, such as full time Army, Marines, USAF, and Navy, we probably wouldnt have the resources.  But if you consider that if you activate the Reserves, and National Guard (which can be federalized when the gov't needs them) our personnel reaches into the millions.  Im not saying that gives us the opportunity to span the world with soldiers, but we have the people and technology to do it.  I just dont think we will....and I HOPE we dont.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
Calling up reserves could be interesting though, and significant numbers of reserves would have peripheral economic impacts.  Not only that, the calibre of soldier would likely be lower, which bodes poorly.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6701|Peoria, Illinois

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

Im not saying that gives us the opportunity to span the world with soldiers, but we have the people and technology to do it.  I just dont think we will....and I HOPE we dont.
I'm down with that. We need to fix Iraq before we go conquering the world.
Erkut.hv
+124|6705|California

section9 wrote:

It's a bullshit story:
The National Post is sending shockwaves across the country this morning with a report that Iran's Parliament has passed a law requiring mandatory Holocaust style badges to identify Jews and Christians.
But independent reporter Meir Javdanfar, an Israeli Middle East expert who was born and raised in Tehran, says the report is false.
"It's absolutely factually incorrect," he told The New 940 Montreal.
"Nowhere in the law is there any talk of Jews and Christians having to wear different colours. I've checked it with sources both inside Iran and outside."
"The Iranian people would never stand for it. The Iranian government wouldn't be stupid enough to do it."
Political commentator and 940 Montreal host Beryl Waysman says the report is true, that the law was passed two years ago.
"Jews should wear yellow strips, Christians red strips, because according to the Iranian mullahs, if a Mulsim shakes hands with a non-Muslim he becomes unclean."

The National Post cites Iranian expatriots living in Canada as its primary source on the story.
The Post story can be read here: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news … mp;k=32073
(You may have to highlight the link and copy and paste it into your browser.)
+1 for the backcheck on my source. Can you post a link countering the claim please? At work, don't have time to browse. Your link to the story I cited is the same one I saw this morning.

Last edited by Erkut.hv (2006-05-19 08:20:54)

jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6649
I bet my last dollar that if we needed troops and asked Americas youth to help out the numbers would be sufficient . I know if I was able too I'd join up if the call was made . That's the problem with Army commercials , they always have this cool tank driving , Air assault commando approach
I think the people would come out in droves to make up for what we need . Shit , you even had lawyers , businessmen and Pat Tillman give up lives for the Iraqi war . With the way Iran is acting people are going to forget all about Iraq and see Iran as a true threat . Things actually couldn't be better . I also bet that if we do attack Iran Israel will be behind us 100% and actually help in the ground assault .
Sucks to be Iran right now
DancinHomer
Gaming While Intoxicated
+27|6596|UK
Smells like another bullshit story dreamt up by 'our' western governments to get backing from their people for an assault on another oil-rich country.

I'm not saying that Saadam was an angel, but no nuclear weapons were ever found in Iraq, which was the excuse in the first place for the last invasion there.

Just something to think about people?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
jonnykill: Don't forget the wider economic issues, which are very important.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6649

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

jonnykill wrote:

I can't wait to invade Iran , Syria next and then perhaps North Korea .
Just like they can't wait to nuke poor innocent civilians like yourself for such mentality?
My menatality is that if you are the leader of a nation , call for the destruction of Israel , call the holocaust a myth , blow off the UN and all your next door neighbors and then flip off the world and make enriched plutonium for " peaceful purposes " and start to make all the non-muslims wear armbans like in the good old Natzi days , support /sipply islamic jihadists to kill not only American soldiers  but Iraqis as well innocent civillians too - yeah , invasion . Any questions ?
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6661|Calgary

Erkut.hv wrote:

Chris Wattie
National Post

Friday, May 19, 2006

Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims.

Iranian expatriates living in Canada yesterday confirmed reports that the Iranian parliament, called the Islamic Majlis, passed a law this week setting a dress code for all Iranians, requiring them to wear almost identical "standard Islamic garments."

The law, which must still be approved by Iran's "Supreme Guide" Ali Khamenehi before being put into effect, also establishes special insignia to be worn by non-Muslims.

Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth.

"There's no reason to believe they won't pass this," said Rabbi Hier. "It will certainly pass unless there's some sort of international outcry over this."

Bernie Farber, the chief executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, said he was "stunned" by the measure. "We thought this had gone the way of the dodo bird, but clearly in Iran everything old and bad is new again," he said. "It's state-sponsored religious discrimination."

Ali Behroozian, an Iranian exile living in Toronto, said the law could come into force as early as next year.

It would make religious minorities immediately identifiable and allow Muslims to avoid contact with non-Muslims.

Mr. Behroozian said it will make life even more difficult for Iran's small pockets of Jewish, Christian and other religious minorities -- the country is overwhelmingly Shi'ite Muslim. "They have all been persecuted for a while, but these new dress rules are going to make things worse for them," he said.

The new law was drafted two years ago, but was stuck in the Iranian parliament until recently when it was revived at the behest of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

A spokesman for the Iranian Embassy in Ottawa refused to comment on the measures. "This is nothing to do with anything here," said a press secretary who identified himself as Mr. Gharmani.

"We are not here to answer such questions."

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre has written to Kofi Annan, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, protesting the Iranian law and calling on the international community to bring pressure on Iran to drop the measure.

"The world should not ignore this," said Rabbi Hier. "The world ignored Hitler for many years -- he was dismissed as a demagogue, they said he'd never come to power -- and we were all wrong."

Mr. Farber said Canada and other nations should take action to isolate Mr. Ahmadinejad in light of the new law, which he called "chilling," and his previous string of anti-Semitic statements.

"There are some very frightening parallels here," he said. "It's time to start considering how we're going to deal with this person."

Mr. Ahmadinejad has repeatedly described the Holocaust as a myth and earlier this year announced Iran would host a conference to re-examine the history of the Nazis' "Final Solution."

He has caused international outrage by publicly calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Iran does not yet have nuclear weapons, but Tehran believed by Western nations to be developing its own nuclear military capability, in defiance of international protocols and peace treaties.

The United States, France and Israel accuse Iran of using a civilian nuclear program to secretly build a weapon. Iran denies this, saying its program is confined to generating electricity.
Who said, history repeats itself ?

Not too good.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6623
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

jonnykill wrote:

My menatality is that if you are the leader of a nation , call for the destruction of Israel , call the holocaust a myth , blow off the UN and all your next door neighbors and then flip off the world and make enriched plutonium for " peaceful purposes " and start to make all the non-muslims wear armbans like in the good old Natzi days , support /sipply islamic jihadists to kill not only American soldiers  but Iraqis as well innocent civillians too - yeah , invasion . Any questions ?
Yes:

1)  Why should Israel be allowed to exist in it's current form?

2)  How has Iran blown off the UN anymore than, say, the US?

3)  Why shouldn't they make enriched plutonium for peaceful purposes?

4)  Which neighbours have they pissed off?
Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6682|Wherever the F**k i feel like
Well Europeans are not on the ball with Iran. THEY WANT US TO SELL F-18'S TO THE IRANIANS! will some europeans tell me why the fuck to they think this a good idea? The U.N. started with a good idea but then they became lazy, and full of unintellegent, greedy, tax mongers. If the U.N. had half the brains that most americans think they should then they would have ended this with the first sanctions agianst the iranian nuclear program. They would have sent in the troops from the E.U. and the U.N. peace keepers. THIS is where we need to be looking for civil rights violators, also why dont civil rights activist talk about this nonsense? is it because they are to afraid or are they just so ignorant that they dont even know its going on?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

The U.N. started with a good idea
Same could be said of league of nations, or the USSR

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

but then they became lazy, and full of unintellegent, greedy, tax mongers.
Like America?

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

If the U.N. had half the brains that most americans think they should
It's funny, because that's what the rest of the world says about Americans.

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

then they would have ended this with the first sanctions agianst the iranian nuclear program. They would have sent in the troops from the E.U. and the U.N. peace keepers.
On what grounds?  There is no proof that the Iranians are attempting to create a nuclear weapon.

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

THIS is where we need to be looking for civil rights violators, also why dont civil rights activist talk about this nonsense?
Maybe they figure that the US can't tell other countries what to do until they have at least a semblance of fairness themselves?  Lead by example, now isn't that a crazy idea!
Lib-Sl@yer

Bubbalo wrote:

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

The U.N. started with a good idea
Same could be said of league of nations, or the USSR
Well you just back my idea huh?
nowbrdr123
Banned
+15|6523
Instead of MEC EA should have created Iran and added things like suicide bombers, car bombers, etc.
Lib-Sl@yer

Bubbalo wrote:

Lib-Sl@yer wrote:

THIS is where we need to be looking for civil rights violators, also why dont civil rights activist talk about this nonsense?
Maybe they figure that the US can't tell other countries what to do until they have at least a semblance of fairness themselves?  Lead by example, now isn't that a crazy idea!
Who says we need to be the example. Im fine with the freedoms i have now. Im talking about the U.N. find civil rights violators. Isnt that what the U.N. was made for? enforcing global justice? keeping the peace amoungst nations? Also the civil rights activist dont need to change america. If they dont like america move to another country. If i wanted a good social welfare system, i would move to france. I f i want open borders i would move to any country in europe.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard