terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6624|Westminster, Colorado
They will start selling AMD Opteron(TM) Dual Core processor-based servers by the end of the year.

I think it's about time.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060518/20060518005798.html?.v=1
http://news.com.com/2061-10810_3-607405 … ;subj=news
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6526|Scotland
finally.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK

ddenholm67 wrote:

finally.
i was goin to say that
Shadow893
lel
+75|6662|England

liquidat0r wrote:

ddenholm67 wrote:

finally.
i was goin to say that
me too
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6552|MANCHESTERRR

Shadow893 wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

ddenholm67 wrote:

finally.
i was goin to say that
me too
I third that motion.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Dell can suck my ass. I'll build my own for less
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6669|U.S
are you saying like pentium d kind of processors because they have had those for a while.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

travisb05 wrote:

are you saying like pentium d kind of processors because they have had those for a while.
Opteron are AMD's line of server processors.  Basically a server grade version of their X2.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2006-05-18 14:05:49)

mikkel
+383|6571
I hope this is a step on the way to A64 desktop-level computers, and doesn't stay just servers like HP did. Dells Intel machines are usually hiding in the jungle of horrible celeron-level desktop processors. If they'd make reasonably priced A64 non-Sempron machines, they could probably end up with decent machines and decent prices.
vjs
+19|6741
Yup basically Dell was blackmaled into it by AMD and Nvidia ABOUT TIME!!!

Both those companies were going to join with IBM or someone to basicaly remove dell from the server market and make them loose market share in personal computers.

It's the whole Intel selling chips cheaper to dell to maintain market share.

There was even talk of AMD selling their processors at Walmart. Even potentially selling a sort of e-machine with a basic onboard everything nvidia board. This was going to be cheap cheap cheap, dell finally came around.
slo5oh
+28|6631

vjs wrote:

There was even talk of AMD selling their processors at Walmart. Even potentially selling a sort of e-machine with a basic onboard everything nvidia board. This was going to be cheap cheap cheap, dell finally came around.
I think they should.  It would be a better option than buying the prebuilt fry's garbage.
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6669|U.S
okay dont like amd so i didnt know.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
strange, didnt they have some kind of deal with intel? Anyways i wonder if XPS systems will soon ship with amds. 
Naw dell will go with the conroe probably
Croak
+11|6775|San Marcos, CA
While it's big news that AMD finally broke down the walls at Dell, keep in mind that it's ONLY for servers, and while servers make Dell money, it's the desktops and laptops that REALLY pay the bills at Dell...no announcement yet about Dell desktops or laptops with AMD processors.

About the whole Conroe thing, I'm not holding my breath there either...if they come out and perform as claimed, great, more choices and more horsepower for gamers, but I'll reserve judgement until they're actually on the ground and in people's homes.  And don't count AMD out even if the Conroe is all that it's claimed to be...the 60nm AM2 chips will be out in about 6-8 months, and I expect they'll put up a good fight (and for that matter, current X2/Opterons are not going to be made worthless by Conroe).

Last edited by Croak (2006-05-18 18:19:57)

Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA

King_County_Downy wrote:

Dell can suck my ass. I'll build my own for less
yes, but if you work at a place that want a standardized server (for instance, a hospital like I work at) they want it from a regular company not a regular homebuilt machine.  I'm glad to see they finally brought AMD into the picture.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA

Croak wrote:

While it's big news that AMD finally broke down the walls at Dell, keep in mind that it's ONLY for servers, and while servers make Dell money, it's the desktops and laptops that REALLY pay the bills at Dell...no announcement yet about Dell desktops or laptops with AMD processors.

About the whole Conroe thing, I'm not holding my breath there either...if they come out and perform as claimed, great, more choices and more horsepower for gamers, but I'll reserve judgement until they're actually on the ground and in people's homes.  And don't count AMD out even if the Conroe is all that it's claimed to be...the 60nm AM2 chips will be out in about 6-8 months, and I expect they'll put up a good fight (and for that matter, current X2/Opterons are not going to be made worthless by Conroe).
im not sure if im right but 60nm arent suppose to be better, just cheaper, less heat, and not expensive to make
Croak
+11|6775|San Marcos, CA
Yeah, but they always do some tweaking with the core when they revise die sizes, and the K8L 60nm part is supposed to have some other enhancements in it, along with a little "free" performance gain using low latency DDR2.

Not to mention that there are strong rumors that the dual core K10 (next year) will incorporate "reverse hyperthreading", which basically uses both cores to run a single-threaded process, resulting in a potentially huge performance boost (especially for most current single threaded apps and games), while still allowing the use of multi-threaded instructions for those programs that use them. 

Lets say a K10 runs at 3.0ghz and is dual core...if they get the reverse hyperthreading working, it would effectively have the potential to double the speed of single-threaded operations...turning it into a 6ghz single core processor...of course there's going to be overhead and less than perfect efficiency, but getting 4-5ghz single core speeds out of that "3ghz" setup is not unreasonable.  Now picture a quad-core K10 series (or 2 dual-core K10 Opterons) with the same technology.

And lets face it, clock for clock the Athlon series is STILL more efficient than the Intel processors, even the Conroe...all they are doing with Conroe is brute forcing the old less efficient basic P4/P3 design....so a "virtual 5ghz" AMD should prove to be a serious challenge for Conroe-style chips in the future.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard