Yes, it is Majorly Conservatively Biased.13%13% - 11
I never thought about it.3%3% - 3
Other (please state...)12%12% - 10
Total: 80
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6742
american dad: u know what makes america crap? the media is too liberal
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
bruisehound
+14|6806
Thanks, Viper 38. That was really informative.

I'll do Canada:

The CBC swings whatever way the government goes. Right now it's pretty liberal, but that's because we just finished 13 years of liberal government. We'll have Conservatives in power for a while now, so it will head that way.
The National Post swings pretty hard right (well, hard right by Canadian standards). Positive coverage of our troops in Afghanistan and all that.
The Globe and Mail is a liberal paper.
We have a variety of local Sun papers (Toronto Sun, Winnipeg Sun, Vancouver Sun). So far as I can tell, they are all conservative, and all rags.

Of course, by American standards, Canada as a whole is a fairly liberal place.

Hey Viper38, would you say Canada is liberal by British standards, or what?
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6567|vancouver

Horseman 77 wrote:

spastic bullet wrote:

The United States boasts the most sophisticated propaganda machine the world has ever seen.  It is capable of mobilizing public opinion on a scale unparalleled in all recorded history.  It gets the job done.

And if people knew, it wouldn't be true.
The United State of America has the widest and most diverse amount of news organizations and  all kinds of media. It is a fact that most of them lean left.
What is a wide and diverse amount?  Ranging from "none" to "many"?  This is a new and intriguing concept for me -- please elaborate.  Nah, just kidding ya.  I think I know what you mean.  Please refer to the second paragraph of my original post.  Perceived diversity of views is crucial to such a system's viability.

Also, given the relative nature of perceived bias of the system as a whole, it doesn't make much sense to make explicit claims as to the factual basis of your perception.  If you say that's what you believe, we'll believe you.

Finally, and for essentially the same reason, the most reasonable conclusions to draw from the results of this poll pertain to the overall slant of its participants, and not to the media itself.
bruisehound
+14|6806

Horseman 77 wrote:

The United State of America has the widest and most diverse amount of news organizations and  all kinds of media.
                                               /\
                                                |
                                                |
I think I agree with Horseman on this.   

But I also think I agree with spastic bullet on this
                                                |
                                                |
                                               \/

spastic bullet wrote:

The United States boasts the most sophisticated propaganda machine the world has ever seen.  It is capable of mobilizing public opinion on a scale unparalleled in all recorded history.
Yes the news agencies are more diverse than most places, but I don't think anybody in the world has serious, diverse media.
Heck, this whole debate has been about whether the media is Conservative or Liberal. 2 options? How diverse is that?
To me, having to choose between Conservative and Liberal is like having to choose between Pepsi and Coke. What if I want milk? Or, back to politics, what if I want Anarchism?
So yeah, the media system in the USA and countries like it is something to be proud of. It's at the top of human achievements. I just don't think we've achieved very much, and the way that news agencies and TV programs can control the behaviour of ordinary people like you and me is truly astounding.

Last edited by bruisehound (2006-06-14 00:12:30)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6701|Canberra, AUS
Once again, I am left wanting by an incomplete list of options. What about if you think it's biased (as it obviously is), but aren't sure of which way?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6794
If the media is so liberal why did they NOT report that there were no WMD’s when the invasion of Iraq started? The blogs on the internet printed these stories and they have budgets of about $5. Major news organisations have budgets of millions.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard