Sheep of War
+40|6651
By this friday my new PC should be finished (waiting for moniter and 7900GTX from newegg.) Anyways its the first time I've built one myself. While I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly, there is a few things that scare the shit out of me. I'm builing this thing with the best components available at the moment, its just that certain pieces seem to have major problems as I read the manufacterers websites. 7900GTXs seem buggy as well as ASUS SLI mobos.

Anyways, this post is mainly to ask about your horror stories when building a new PC...I figure maybe I can learn somthing before/if it happens.  Especially if you have any of the pieces listed. Thanx

Here is what I got...

ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo

AMD FX-60

ASUS 7900GTX

Epsilon SLI 700w PS

2 gig Corsair 3500ll pro

2 74gig raptors RAID 0

2 ASUS dvd burners

flopply drive

Zalaman 92mm blue LED heatsink

Aspire X-Cruiser Case (upgraded fans)

Zboard Merc keyboard

Logitech G7 mouse

SCEPTRE 20.1" Widescreen Moniter
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6773|Toronto Canada
OWNAGe
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6795|Barrie Ontario
How much that all cost you? Should run beautiful
Sheep of War
+40|6651
Not sure of the total but alot. I got all of it from Newegg.com (great site.) My tax return check helped alot, but I had the put the FX-60 and Hard drives on credit.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but there seems to be lots of probs out there with this stuff, thats why I didn't get an EVGA overclocked card. Also why I'm not running SLI. Seems real buggy still.

Hopefully, I don't get any major probs...well see.

Anyways when the stuff comes all I have to do is slap the card in for the moment of truth.
Username II
+3|6641
It's always the people who don't know what they're doing that get the ultra fast systems...

No offense, of course! You did say this was the first system you've built. lol And all that crap and you're planning on using integrated sound? Sheesh. Go buy an X-fi or three. On credit.

Tips from my last system:

If you've got an SATA system, you might find it helpful to check the bios about 15 times, I don't know if the motherboard manufacturers have cleared up that mess, but it's not hard to pick the wrong combination of controllers. And you're doing RAID...I spent about three months trying to figure out why my hard drive wouldn't boot. Fun.

Also, make sure the board is insulated from the case properly. I learned the hard way...the way which requires that you disassemble the whole system to remount the motherboard with the proper insulation.

Have fun with your great new system...
Defiance
+438|6679

This is your first built system?

All I can say is RTFM especially with that RAID.

There are a few changes I would make though:

G5 instead of G7, corded is better for gaming.

Different power supply. Look at Antec or PC Power and Cooling (best on the market these days).

Different monitor. Dell LCDs are in general kickass.
Sheep of War
+40|6651

Username II wrote:

It's always the people who don't know what they're doing that get the ultra fast systems...

No offense, of course! You did say this was the first system you've built. lol And all that crap and you're planning on using integrated sound? Sheesh. Go buy an X-fi or three. On credit.

If you've got an SATA system, you might find it helpful to check the bios about 15 times, I don't know if the motherboard manufacturers have cleared up that mess, but it's not hard to pick the wrong combination of controllers. And you're doing RAID...I spent about three months trying to figure out why my hard drive wouldn't boot. Fun.

Also, make sure the board is insulated from the case properly. I learned the hard way...the way which requires that you disassemble the whole system to remount the motherboard with the proper insulation.

I do OK with computers, but yes, this is the first one from the ground up. So I guess your right.

It is the first RAID setup, its on new drives, so I think thats supposed to help?  Other than that, it should be just getting the driver on a foppy hopefully. Then of course getting xp to recognize the array.

The insulation point is intresting. By this do you mean the cardboard washers that came with the mounting hardware? I mean, the case came with 3 things for mounting the MOBO...the brass posts, screws, and cardboard washers. The last thing I need is a short.
buttered noodle
+16|6654|ohio

Username II wrote:

reminds me of a funny story for everyone else, when i got this box the parts arrived new years eve day(04/05) for a lan party i was hoting that night and i spent 14 hours trying to figure out why the fuck i couldn't get the xp disc to recognixe my drives, then wit han additional 2 hours of waiting for techshit support on the phone i put up with the lower guy for 5 min and then hour later a guy just told me to put the drivers on a floppy and hit F2, i was unbeleiveably pissed when this was resolved, but i think that for a $250 mobo(asus P5AD2 Premium - easily best P4 mobo at the time) they should put everything in the manuel, not to excuse my own stupidity.
yerded
Bertinator
+255|6645|Westminster, California
I have almost the same 5k machine, and I also assembled from boxes.. I hate my audigy XFI xtreme, makes mic buggy.
carefull with the registry. contact a pro when software reveals itself to be the biggest issue which it will.
good luck
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6605
I've heard thoae blue LED fans can cause retinal burn.....

J/K

If you are worried try checking out the guide I wrote in the tech section to at least get it to post.  After that it's all up to MS OS.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6578|United States
5k??? If that guy paid around 5k for that system he just mentioned then he got ripped off. On a side-note, you really should have waited for the new AMD chipsets and motherboards to come out. No offense at all, just just remind me of the people who are buying regular(analog tv's) when HDTV's will be the standard at the end of 2006 and "regular tv's" will no longer be available.
Sheep of War
+40|6651

buttered noodle wrote:

Username II wrote:

reminds me of a funny story for everyone else, when i got this box the parts arrived new years eve day(04/05) for a lan party i was hoting that night and i spent 14 hours trying to figure out why the fuck i couldn't get the xp disc to recognixe my drives, then wit han additional 2 hours of waiting for techshit support on the phone i put up with the lower guy for 5 min and then hour later a guy just told me to put the drivers on a floppy and hit F2, i was unbeleiveably pissed when this was resolved, but i think that for a $250 mobo(asus P5AD2 Premium - easily best P4 mobo at the time) they should put everything in the manuel, not to excuse my own stupidity.
I've noticed that the ASUS manuals aren't very descriptive at all.  I got a real kick out of the BIOS section, especially.
Sheep of War
+40|6651

BeerzGod wrote:

5k??? If that guy paid around 5k for that system he just mentioned then he got ripped off. On a side-note, you really should have waited for the new AMD chipsets and motherboards to come out. No offense at all, just just remind me of the people who are buying regular(analog tv's) when HDTV's will be the standard at the end of 2006 and "regular tv's" will no longer be available.
Wasn't quite 5k, but its up there. I heard the next gen multicores weren't gonna be that big of a deal, maybe a slight bump in clock speed. Well the move to the next socket might matter. As far as the mobos, I think they still have a long way to go before any significant uprades are made. When ATI came out with the crossfire everyone was hyping it up saying "its the first true 32 lane multi card setup." Well in the benchmarks, it performed worse than the Nvidia. I debated about waiting, but I figure I'll get at least a year a couple years of decent gaming out of it.
Sheep of War
+40|6651

yerded wrote:

I have almost the same 5k machine, and I also assembled from boxes.. I hate my audigy XFI xtreme, makes mic buggy.
carefull with the registry. contact a pro when software reveals itself to be the biggest issue which it will.
good luck
Thanks man,

Thats one of the reasons I haven't gotten any sound cards yet...I've been hearing about how buggy everything is and I figured that I would wait to see how it goes with the bare essentials.
CrazeD
+368|6681|Maine
The AM2 (socket F) chips are basically the same thing as Socket 939, except they use DDR2 memory intead of DDR. It's really not THAT much better.

However, as much as I regret saying it, Conroe is going to own.

Anywho, that's a pretty sick rig you got there. I hope all goes well.
If you have trouble with hardware installation, just read the manuals over and over until it makes sense, lol.
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6605
Most motherboard manuals aren't terribly helpful except for the board documentation.

Those instructions were written by a fellow in Japan when they made this damn thing. They were probably translated by some gringo who was an expatriate American that couldn't get a job in this country. And then the Japanese guy probably translated him just to double check on him. You don't need these instructions. Not at all. Tear them up.  -Frank Corvin "Space Cowboys"
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6721|Norway
Helpful tip for you..

Ease up on the thermal paste Too much and you'll experience a nifty effect when you try to remove the fan/water block..

"...Won't act as an adhesive..." my ass...

So yeah - I basically ripped my X2 4400+ right out of its socket.. Not fun..
So now it's kinda funky at times - throwing hissy fits and BSOD's all around..

Didn't help when I removed the Heat spreader
beerface702
+65|6701|las vegas
really nice choice of parts. except the zalman HSF. i woulda of just stuck with the stock cooler that came with ur fx-60. its actually a lil better.

and unless you plan to OC her a bit. shoulda of gotten someOCZ plant pc3200 memory, or some G.skills pc4000 for overclocking imo

and the PSU, the new silverstone quad rail 750 is a bit better. and has more AMprage per 12v line

but otherwise nice rig

Last edited by beerface702 (2006-05-18 21:55:18)

Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6784|Kansas, USA

908741059871059781 wrote:

It is the first RAID setup, its on new drives, so I think thats supposed to help?  Other than that, it should be just getting the driver on a foppy hopefully. Then of course getting xp to recognize the array.
There should be two sets of SATA controllers on that M/B (4 SATA ports each). One set is part of the NForce4 Chipset and the other set is a 3rd party chip. If youuse the native NForce4 chipset controller ports you do not need to install any drivers. Best way to go.
Sheep of War
+40|6651
Thanks for the help guys, its all up and running although there is a few things I have to work out and som things I've noticed....

Keep in mind I haven't overclocked at all yet. I aslo updated all drivers and bios that I could (except video card bios.)

Idle temps are around 47 c (seems a little high?)

The memory I have has lights on it to indicate usuage. It seems the memory gets used alot its pretty much constantly blinking into the red zone.

Onboard audio really does suck. none of the front panel audio ports work, and the stereo headphones jack on the back doesn't send a stereo signal. Headphones are noisy and I only get sound out of one ear.

Performance loading ect. seems OK, but installing from CDS seems a little sluggish (maybe because I have 2 dvd burners in stead of CD/DVD read only drive?)

I've noticed that it really doesn't work the raid setup real hard, except defragging and somtimes loading stuff.

All in all I'm pretty happy, The 7900gtx is silky smooth with graphix on high.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6700|Calgary
The only thing I'm scared of is my wife's temper   

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard