SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6799|Perth, Western Australia
Now that most people have them, lets talk. Please give a reason, and make it a coherent reason, not just saying stuff like "cos its crap"

Best Unlock: L85A1, because it is kick ass at long range, but ONLY if you use it on semi auto, otherwise its quite shite.

Worst Unlock: Tough one because they are all pretty good, but im gonna have to go for the G36c, which is a good gun, but it is not as accurate as the Chinese Spec Ops gun, and not as powerful as the Mec one. By no means a bad gun, but just the worst of the four that i have
pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark
Actually they are all best depending on what you want to do, but I just play along - always like to talk about the weapons

Best: L85A1 (medic) - Its fast and accurate*... Gives you better results than m16 in close combat spraying enemies and you can return fire at most distances... 3-4 hits can be done fast at range (more accurate* than AK and hits harder than m16)!!
It doesn't give away your position easily.

*EDIT: Easier to hit with because of the scope

Sharky -> At most distances I often find it best to take 1-3 auto shots... mostly better than single shots!!

Worst unlock: Haven't found a bad one yet... I'm not a fan of the G36c but only tried it a little.

Last edited by pinky_81 (2005-10-11 03:01:09)

SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6799|Perth, Western Australia
Id have to disagree with u there. One day i was getting owned on dragon valley, and then iswitched to 1 shot, and it was not so bad anymore. I guess it depends on the map
dracul
+2|6821
A: the ak101 and the m16 are both better than the l85a1 at short/middling ranges. They both do more damage and are more accurate for sustained burst fire.

B: The g36c is slightly better than the m4, and much better than the ak74u when it comes to staying more accurate. it DOES open up more than either of the 2, but opens up later, and closes up quicker.

EX: you can use the m4 as a ghetto sniper rifle, but by the 3rd or so shot in quick succession the 4th is usually useless. The g36c on the other hand you can fire 6 or 7 quick shots all on target. You just dont get the 1.5X zoom that the m4/ak sight give you.

I think a large part of it is, people confusing the GUN with the SIGHT.
The g36c sights are crappy, but the l85 sites are much better.

Thats prolly because if they the g36c the l3ux or holo-dot sights it would be by FAR the most deadly gun in the game. (using the guns current modeling, anyways)
pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark

dracul wrote:

A: the ak101 and the m16 are both better than the l85a1 at short/middling ranges. They both do more damage and are more accurate for sustained burst fire.
Ok - the AK and M16 are more accurate, but it is easier to hit with the L85A1 (because of the scope)
McCullough
+7|6852
Best unlock: L85

Worst unlock: Right now it's the PKM. I dont now how to use it at all. I's it me or this gun incredible inaccurate?
The only chance you have to hit anything with it is to prone.
thinner44
+1|6823
1st. DOA-12, great close range, bad at distance. CQC, see them dance like rag dolls
2nd. Jackhammer, as above really, take it easy though, this empties at a phenomenal rate.
3rd. G36C, not so sure about this one. The scope, IMHO, is pretty bad at distance, unlike the ordinary version where you can hit a target at a decent range. The good points, it's got some kick and a fair bit of stopping power.
4th. PKM, only used it a couple of times, good for peppering jeeps and helis, makes them a little wary, good for close combat if prone, good for suppression. Bad for anything at distance.
5th M95, good single headshot will take out anyone.... unless you're/they're right on top of you. Great as a spotter.
The above are the ones I have unlocked and are of my own opinion.
pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark
How to use PKM:
Go prone... Point at enemy... Shoot until you kill enemy... Try not to overheat...
(Haven't used it enough to tell wether you should burst fire or let it rip for best accuracy)
WARNING: Do not shoot while friendly troops are in front of you
damxam
+0|6787
My ratings. I rate on how much of an improvement the weapon is to me over the standard. That's why the
support unlock gets an honorable mention.

Best:    DAO - It's an excellent close combat weapon, and a great alternative to the terrible guns AT gets.

Good: PKM - It starts out as accurate as an assault rifle if you're prone. Never fire it when you're not prone, unless
the enemy is in your face. 45 damage per shot is massive. Still, it gets massively inaccurate quickly, and is a poor assault weapon thanks to the prone requirement. However it is, as it is supposed to be, a great support weapon. I personally think that the US and chinese support guns are terrible, and the PKM feels closer to what a support weapon should be. For making support viable, it gets my "good" ranking as a solid improvement.

Worst:  I don't use the g36c because it doesn't have that sweet zoom, I don't use the L85 because it's a piddling
rifle with bad bad damage per shot and with a bit of skill you can get hits in just as wellwith the M16/AK in
90% of situations (and then you're more likely to kill), and I use the assault unlock only when I want to replace my
AK with something a little more long-range. (I know it isn't actually more accurate, but since it hits so hard you can
space shots better). I don't think any of them is actually bad, but they are all situational for me, and as for the L85, I just don't fancy it.
pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark
Many weapons are "hate or love 'em" weapons... All depending which team you play for and what kind of guy you are...
I think they balanced them very well... I think it's great that people still use the standard weapons on occasions... E.g. the AK for the medic has more stopping power
Rakasan
+7|6850|California, USA
This topic has been covered many times.  The best weapon is whatever you get the hang of the best to boost your confidence.  Worst is the sniper unlock or playing as sniper since it's pretty much useless for winning...."but they can spot".  Well, commander can do that.

I prefer the G36C unlock since I can take out armor, UAV, and a cluster of infantry.  Plus, long range shots are easy for me.

Last edited by Rakasan (2005-10-11 04:58:37)

omg! Buck_McCoy
+0|6787|Germany
Many people seem to underestimate the G36c. It is in genral more accurate than the L85, especially in automatic mode. In semi fire mode or if you shoot only short bursts you are able to hit and kill enemies over a really long distance. The G36C was my first unlock and i was disappointed by the zoomed view, too, but once you get used to it the G36 is a very powerful weapon, better than both the L85 and G3 although it delivers only 25 damage per shot.
The most useless weapon is indeed the PKM, because it delivers more damage than the standard rifles for support but on the other hand it fires slower. Additionally (what was already mentioned) it is still completely useless until you prone or stand just one meter away from an enemy. This is the impression i got by playing with it for a while, didnĀ“t unlock it myself.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6854|Cologne, Germany

people never get tired of this, do they....

ok, here is my 2c.

best unlock as far as improvement over the standard weapon is concerned would be the L85 ( medic ) for me, simply because you get a decent scope and the full auto capability, which the M16 does not have.

second is DAO-12 for me, because it adds a huge new dimension to the AT kit, my K/D ratio jumped considerably after unlocking it. The MP5 is just crap, even in CQC, and the DAO-12 kicks ass.
You will have to adapt your playing stile, that's true, but this game is all about adapting anyway...

IMO, all the other unlocks are just minor variations of the standard weapons, with no real improvement

G36C: higher rate of fire, a little more accuracy, scope is worse though.
PKM: higher damage, better accuracy at the price of rate of fire and clip size.
G3: higher accuracy, more damage, but less ammo in the clip and you loose the tube..

M95 and Jackhammer: haven't used them much. jackhammer features full auot, which is nice, but you loose accuracy.
Ravlen
+0|6793
Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people saying the g36c is a bad unlock choice. 2 months ago the debate was whether or not the L85 or the g36c were the best.

As it stands, I suggest people play with the g36c a little more before you rule it out. Especially now that SpecOps get points for taking out Comm assets, you'll want a gun that you can use to defend yourself. The M4 may have fancier sights on it, but the g36c definitely is more accurate, from what I've seen while playing. I regularly take out snipers using the g36c, from extremely long range (in single shot mode). Even in auto mode it does extremely well at all ranges. You just gotta get used to the iron sights. Trust me, it's a damn fine gun.

The one I haven't seen mentioned much is the G3. This is my latest unlock and I hadn't really tried it before (wasn't interested in the PKM or M95). I find it incredibly inaccurate at all ranges... I had hoped that at least the full auto would help out up close, but it isn't much of an improvement at all. 1 on 1 duals with people, at all ranges, is 50/50 at best for me (and I consider myself a reasonable shot). Up close, it's just random (whoever shot first). VS DAO or Jackhammer upclose is death, even though the G3 does more damage per bullet. Of course, there's also the obvious issues with small clip and no grenade launcher.

I'll practice some more with it (only unlocked it 1-2 days ago), and I'll comment then. Maybe it has different aiming properties that I'm just not getting... But so far, I'd say the G3 is the worst unlock.

As far as the other unlocks, the L85 in full auto mode is terribly inaccurate, but still is better overall than the USMC's gun. I'm not a big fan of the 3 round burst, so I like the semi/auto mode. The AK is better than the L85 though, I'd say. More damage, just as accurate, you just need to get used to the iron sights. The DAO is a fun unlock, everyone knows. Lots of people hate the Jackhammer... and sure, it isn't the best gun around, but man it's fun to use! I don't regret unlocking it, as I only use it while driving armor. I hop out to defend my tank against SpecOps that are too close for me to shoot and it's a blast to fill 'em with lead.

Ravlen
96D
+0|6788|Maryland, USA
I'm quite happy with the PKM; in the narrow alleys of places like Sharqi and Karkand you can cover an avenue of approach all by yourself. I wouldn't fire in bursts over 3 with the PKM, as its accuracy does suffer quickly. Then again, 3 hits from a PKM will down even a fully healthy armor-wearing kit.

The thing about machine guns is that their large ammo capacity isn't so that you can fire on automatic for a long time so much as it's about not having to reload as often. Sustained fire; that's the role of the machine gun. Firing for effect ("for effect" means "trying to kill people") on full automatic, at medium range or beyond, no matter what the weapon, is for suckers. Even if you're netting some kills, you're burning ammo faster than you need to to get them.

Anyway, getting back to the PKM. In maps where I'd have to shoot over longer distances, get this... I switch back to the non-unlocked weapon.

People seem to forget that you don't have to use an unlocked weapon once it's theirs. The reason opinions can vary so wildly--person A saying gun X is crap while person B thinks gun X is the bee's knees--is because no one unlockable weapon is really an all-purpose, good-in-every-situation alternative to the non-unlock.

You know why the unlock for Anti-Tank is a gun and not a different rocket launcher? Because, as a guided weapon, accuracy is left up to the player. The only thing that could really be done with an unlockable rocket launcher is to make it more powerful (or fire-and-forget), and that would truly be an all-purpose, good-in-every-situation unlock (at least for performing the Anti-Tank role). Where would the strategy be in choosing between the two?
Col-Khadafi
+0|6810|Your Mom's House
Worst: G3A1. Terribly inaccurate, even prone and single fire. does a whole 3 more dmg then the ak101, and the m16a2 is accurate enough that you can get easy headshots. Small clip, long reload, overall worthless.

Bad: PKM. Higher recoil then all the standards (seems like it), also higher deviation. The M249 and clone are much better close/medium, and the Ak74 does more damage as well.

Pointless: Mk3A1. Lets see, if you it dead on (all 8 shots hit), it would do a wapping 23 dmg more then the siaga or DAO. Its got a longer reload then the siaga, less max clips, and can't even get close to the power of the M11-87 / NOR982. Sure, there are some who cant even hit with a shotgun, and need quick followup shots, but IMO, its worthless (I do have it unlocked)

I wish: Pistol Unlock. It would have to be a Five-seveN without a doubt.

Last edited by Col-Khadafi (2005-10-11 08:15:18)

Dagger37A
+18|6777|USA
I love being support, I know the SOP on going prone, I do it with the SAW/RPK already. I just can't get the hang of the PKM. It sounds good, it's powerful, but I can't hit shiznit with it. Are short bursts better?
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6776

Well, I've unlocked all except the Jackhammer (but i've picked it up plenty of times in my hunt for which is the next good unlock before 1.03) and so I think i've got a good udnerstanding of all.

1st: G36C
This beats the L85 for it's ability to fire full auto with the sights and STILL hit the target. Not having a 1.5x scope makes barely any difference, open sights are much more stable in this game than the scopes. However, too many people underestimate the recoil of this weapon. Even in CQC you've gotta at least crouch to get in your shots efficiently. Taking two to three shot bursts and long range can take down bogeys much faster than any other gun, maybe with the exception of the M95. The damage is substantial and rate of fire is excellent, however the time to take it out can be an annoyance at times. Plus, everybody loves a '36!

2nd: PKM
If you know how to use it this weapon spells pwnage in CQC, and even at middle range. Going prone is the key, or even crouching if you're close enough. While standing, G36's and L85's don't do much for your enemy, with your PKM in hand. You never have to worry about ammo either. I've gone on countless suicide runs with the PKM, doing so well that i may have to take out the word suicide because I slaughter them all without dying. At long range you can still take out people, or even just scare them into cover giving you time to run up. In close 1on1 combat just bunnyhop and spray to get your first one or two shots in before they start reloading and you drop and pepper 'em.

3rd: DAO-12
This gun makes the Anti-Tanker fit for all situations. Longrange? Rockets. CQC? DAO-12. Vehicles? Rockets. You know you've had countless experiences where you can't do jack to the tank taking your control point, becuase you chose the wrong kit. Or rather, you can't take out a certain something, like shooting a sniper with your jackhammer, but with the AntiTank you've pretty much settled the CQC problem with your previous SMG, and now don't need to worry if you picked wrong. The only problem is the reload time, which can be a real hassle if you expend it all too fast. Ammo count is no problem at all, I personally don't think I've ever seen it gone below 30 shots remaining.

4th: M95
The sheer power and fun you get out of this gun is amazing. Even if you can't snipe for crap, or hate sniping, you'll want to have this gun's babies. Taking out those whores jumping into the assault choppers are always fun to kill, especially when they're too stupid to realize what's killing them and maybe try and turn the chopper around. Most of the time you needn't even go for a headshot, becuase just a little predone damage and your M95 is a oneshot body kill. It's quite easy to encounter someone with a G36C and kill them. They stand, underestimating the inaccuracy of standing full auto power, while you lie down and take your time to headshot them (just to be sure) and you've barely lost half your life. Shooting at people who think bulletproof glass is invisible is just so damn fun. For CQC, just drop your claymores and grenades, because you're probably gonna die and you wanna take that bastard with you.

5th: L85
Excellent firepower, but the fact that you have to shoot semiauto can cost your life. Close range spray and pray doesn't quite work either, making this gun pretty low on my list. The fact it has a scope increases the felt recoil by quite a bit. The two-three shots that you miss while in semi auto is more than enough time for someone else to shoot you, and while the reload time is decent, the CQC effectiveness just isn't good at all. I still stick with a trust Kalashnikov or M16 when I play medic.

6th: MK3
Comparable to the DAO-12, this gun fires only barely faster with a bit more power than the former, making it not much better. The automatic fire is surely fun, but quite impractical when you do face your enemy. It certainly is an improvement over the Saiga and pumps, but you're better off not using at all in combat while playing engineer. Being a shotgun, you have no longrange capability, not even a 20 yard pellet hit. Now when I pick this weapon up i just expend a mag on a wall because the only thing fun about it is firing it.

7th: G3
The game takes place a few years in the future but you get to unlock a gun that is fifty years old?! First of all, you lose the grenade launcher (which is probably the main reason you'd be playing assault) and you get those little yellow frags. You're pretty much at the same level as a Medic now, without the medipacks and defribs. I still don't see why EA and DICE didn't slap on an HK79, that would shift the G3 up to maybe 4th or 5th. The recoil is amazing for open sights, in fact I have a better chance of using my handgun than a G3 at long range. The magazine is extremely small as well, making CQC a big no-no.
pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark
Yes - PKM isn't accurate...

You have to go for a balance of fair accuracy and a lot of bullets... Short & Quick Bursts should give you the best results available with this beast - open up when close!!
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6785|Atlanta, GA USA
Of course the PKM isn't accurate!  It's a LMG!  None of the LMGs are accurate, but if you look at UBAR and do the calculations, the PKM is the most accurate (actually, the RPK-74 is just as accurate).
I have tried both controlled bursts and sustained fire with the PKM, and in my opinion, it is much more affective in sustained fire.  You reach maximum deviation on the 3rd shot (~1 when prone and zoomed), so anything after that uses the same deviation.
Well, enough of my PKM rant.
My unlock leaderboard:
1. DAO12 - In my opinion, the best "upgrade".  Beats the shit out of the SMG it replaces.  Sure, its no good in medium or short range, but neither is the SMG.  In CQC, it owns.
2. PKM - Once you get used to it, it is much better than all of the other LMGs at all ranges.  It is more accurate than US and Chinese, and more powerful than all three.
3. Jackhammer - I think this is a good upgrade over the standard shottys.  It is not as powerful as the pumps, but shoots a helluva lot faster.  You can make it "semi-auto", by doing quick clicks instead of holding down the fire button.  This makes it a lot more accurate.
4. G36C - I haven't used this one as much as the other upgrades listed above, but I do think it is better than the standard carbines.
5. L85 - I've heard a lot of people praise the L85, but I can't get used to the "nail" in the scope.  I think I'd like it a lot better if it had a standard reticle.

I haven't unlocked the G3 or the M95, so don't really have any experience with them.
vjs
+19|6784
Well considering everyone else is posting and the fact that I have all of them except the sinper and assult.

Medic, not bad when you play distance based maps (My first unlock and I'm glad I picked it)
Karkland or sharqi stick with the standard gun on full auto for CQC (hey aren't you suppost to run around with others anyways)

AT unlock like Nike "Just do it" period, distance you have the AT and pistol (NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE PISTOL)

Engineer I'd have to say the same the jackhammer is great when there is only one other person or a quick hop out of a vehicle. CQC again if you get close to one person they are finished I havn't lost yet. Two or three people, well give me a kit that you wouldn't die with? TANK is not a kit.

Support I'm with the PMK suxs class, I only play support when I'm MEC with the standard gun. But then again I havn't given this gun a chance yet. I use to love shooting distance bursts the PMK doesn't do that well, havn't tried enough CQC with it.

Special OPs unlock - hated it at first but then again I really hated the non-red dot guns as well. Played with a little more lately and I'm moving over to its alot better even on auto.

Now here is my problem (O.K. one of them)... what should I unlock next I only have the sniper and assult to choose from.

Assult gun - I've been picking up kits like crazy trying to find one. Havn't used it yet.

Sniper - I'm a pretty darn good sniper with the standard bolt action american gun on shot head kills "shoot them in the face". Chinese gun plink plink plink maybe they will fall down eventually forget the head shots.

Seems like alot of people have this unlock but I can't hit much with it, also the cross hairs look a little fat and off centered to me (medium graphics on 1024). The times that I've used it I don't like it much but I'm playing sniper more. I'm wondering if this is a decent unlock compared to the chinese or mec sniper.

------------------------

One more thing... I can't believe there isn't more to unlock. See my additional posts.

Last edited by vjs (2005-10-21 12:09:29)

=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6809|Barrington, RI
My picks:

M95- once you get used to it it just owns everyone, and you gain that oh so special ability of shooting piolts out of choppers, and taking out clueless HMMVV drivers. 

PKM- up close and personal it's just devestating against infantry, you can take out a whole squad if you know how to use it right.

G36c- great gun, provided you learn to use the iron sights.  I've sniped people I could barley see using this gun on burst fire.

L85A1-  great gun to use as a sniper rifle in a pinch, I love taking out snipers with it, especially after they just used their first shot with the bolt-action rifles and just damaged me, while they cahmber another round just losse a few shots in semi-auto and they won't be bothering anbody for another 15 seconds.  for QCC I prefer the standard guns

G3- it's ok if fired in bursts, other than that forget it.
wang!
+1|6821
1st. AT- DAO-12: Best all around kit IMO. Pick ppl off at a distance with the eryx and close with the dao. This is the only kit i play with. It never let's me down and forget about tanks near me. Anyone who thinks it sucks at a distance should come play on a server with me. ;D

2nd Support - PKM...great stopping power and infinite ammo.

3rd. Spec Ops..suicidal car bombs...thats all...

the rest of the kit unlocks suck...dont use them.
Ryan
+1,230|6856|Alberta, Canada

pinky_81 wrote:

How to use PKM:
Go prone... Point at enemy... Shoot until you kill enemy... Try not to overheat...
(Haven't used it enough to tell wether you should burst fire or let it rip for best accuracy)
WARNING: Do not shoot while friendly troops are in front of you
always use burst for more accuracy...its just common sense. it would give you less recoil than just firing full force
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6782|Human Meat Shield
Okay, I just had my first unlock, I waited and waited but finally picked one, I picked the L85A1. I totally love this weapon, as for any person, there is a time and map to use this (you dont' want everyone being a medic do you?? circa BF1942). But I am still new, I've been owned by all of them, unfortunately I've been owned a lot more by the DAO and the PKM. I was wondering on other posts as well if you like the DAO, why not be engineer if you want a shotgun? I think the DAO/AT run out of ammo quite abit!! (if you dont' get killed first) I was Support hanging around AT and we made a great team, he was ALWAYS coming back for ammo, and I did really well with the standard SAW, problem I ran into is if someone sneeks behind you and knifes you like a sniper, so gotta shoot - kill - move, in which I still hafta learn, I shoot - kill (er die also) -stand prone and look around (70% of my deaths). I want the PKM, blow up that crappy buggy!! Played with the DAO on Global Unlock and you hafta get kinda close (like shotgun) maybe I am not made to be in close. Anyway I like the L8!! woop!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard