Qrbz
+0|6648

137[CSi] wrote:

This is where you're wrong... the apache will have to hide behind the main upper deck of the essex the entire round because there is a possibility of 8 aa missles being launched at you from the mec base You have the 4 of the tunguska and the 2aa sites with unlimited ammo.

As long as all AA is occupied on the mec side of the map the apache will have no choice but to hide behind those pillars and wait for a hind or a convoy chopper to float over the ship. And even then because of your limited flight roof and the fact the hind may have a GREAT tv gunner you're in some trouble playing defense as the SEALS...
Not true. It's quite easy to take out MEC AA in the Apache. First you need to check your map to see if the IGLAs are occupied. Then from behind the Essex, as close to the water as you can get, fly to the extreme left of the map and make your way over to the shore. Now fly over the little hill onto the pathway behind the village and sneak up behind all of the unexpecting AA sites and tunguska. 9 times out of 10 with a decent gunner onboard you can destroy them all out before they know what hit them.

Iron Gator, IMO, is definitely one of the best maps in the game especially if you play on a 24/7 server like FW Gauntlet where people know what they're doing. Not to mention I love stealing the Apache and raping the shit out of the flight deck, hangar bay and viewing deck.

[img]http://www.qrbz.com/BF2/qrbownij2.jpg[/img]
106 kill streak that round
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

IMO, this guide is worth as much as the players that follow it. If have been hovering next to the Essex AA countless times withouh the AA'er notecing me because he was to busy shooting at the MEC shore.
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6776|Hamburg, Germany
Never forget to use the MEC transport chopper to cap the 1st floor flags. Just land on the deck where the flags are and you'll start capping. Well after your team captured the flags on deck.
†FW†Ravenwolf
+10|6657|Saskatchewan, Canada
Well being host of a 24/7 Iron Gator server, you see it all.  Most of what everyone says here happens.
US AA can be taken out easily.. if you know your gunner can use the TV .. usually it takes a quick typestroke as the Hind is warming up to tell your gunner to take out AA with TV.. pilot rises.. hits flares and gunner just aims right of the Viewing Deck flag .. boom.. done.. either that or your APC guy has already made his way to the beach to do just that for you.. then gives you the all clear... however, the Hind HAS to do it's job to battle the apache, with the tungska being a pain in the ass for it as well...  doesn't take much to take out the Tungska as well from the gator.. usually when they lock on, as a gunner I usually pay attention to where the missle fire is coming from.. then i tell my pilot to give me a shot..  most times you can get it this way.. or like the one guy posted.. go FAR left of the map and sneek attack..

No one chopper really is the dominant.. it's the pilot and gunner that dominates really.

When we first started out with Gator.. we usually just parked the transport near the doorway.. right beside where the apache spawns..  usually 3 out of 5 guys make it in.. Mess Hall flag is a good flag to take to start off with, better to do both Hanger Fore and Mess.

If you get by the firepower of the apache.. Hanger Aft is a good way to do it as well.. just fly it in.. park it and cap.. just watch out for C4.. and in lots of cases.. mines.

Teamwork is key though.  If you don't have anyone on the server who don't know what they are doing.. then you're pretty well screwed..  I know i've been stuck MEC plenty times and haven't been able to board.. quite frustrating actually..

But anyway, come visit.. *FW*Gaunlet .. See how it's done.. Pings are decent.. 32 slots  / 64 man map ..

Later

Last edited by †FW†Ravenwolf (2006-05-29 04:15:56)

Windrider_Melb
Pwned so often there's an IPO.
+29|6506|Melbourne, Australia
I like Iron Gator purely because of all the SF Maps regularly played (I hardly ever get to play the night maps, which I prefer) it is the most like what Special Forces do IRL. Most people just seem to want to play vanilla BF2 on Warlord, Ghost Town and Surge

One tactic that I have found works reasonably well for establishing a presence on the Essex (as MECSF) is to get the APC out the back, keeping the Well-Deck clear. Then get a squad leader on a jetski to come around that edge of the map - if you start by actually going away from the Essex then following the combat zone around (I don't; I 'cheat' and go out of bounds, only dodging back in to avoid the punish) and then turn to head straight into the Well-Deck under covering fire from the APC. Once aboard you are a spawn point for your comrades and can make a play for the engine room.

However, capping the Flight Deck and Viewing Platform early are a great tactic because it confines the Seals below decks and frees some air-cover people for CQB.

If you could synchronise these kinds of attacks with the aforementioned Hangar-Bay play, you might win very quickly.

Hmmm would require teamwork... so there goes that idea,

\\'
Stephen_Sung_811007
+4|6701|Taiwan
I simply fly the MEC transport chopper to 200 altitude over the US Essex and tell everyone to bail.

Works.
Windrider_Melb
Thats a good one on Wake too.
Solid144
+1|6538
Good points by all. I haven't played this map in a while, but last time I racked up a lot of easy kills as MECSF by firing Eryx rockets from the shore at the Essex AA and any SEALs foolish enough to try to cross over to land by boat. BUT... and I don't think anybody's mentioned this... this, and the strategy in the OP depends heavily on having an ammo resupply. The IGLAs don't need it, of course, but the Tunguska's going to run out of rockets fast, as will any AT players on shore. Last time, a Support guy in my squad was more than happy to stay with me on shore and get a crapload of ammo giving points while I fired away with the Eryx.
†FW†Ravenwolf

Solid144 wrote:

Good points by all. I haven't played this map in a while, but last time I racked up a lot of easy kills as MECSF by firing Eryx rockets from the shore at the Essex AA and any SEALs foolish enough to try to cross over to land by boat. BUT... and I don't think anybody's mentioned this... this, and the strategy in the OP depends heavily on having an ammo resupply. The IGLAs don't need it, of course, but the Tunguska's going to run out of rockets fast, as will any AT players on shore. Last time, a Support guy in my squad was more than happy to stay with me on shore and get a crapload of ammo giving points while I fired away with the Eryx.
Yeah.. but that's boring, don't you think?

Thats just like how the MEC can't get on the ship.. easy kills.. boring game.
Solid144
+1|6538

†FW†Ravenwolf wrote:

Solid144 wrote:

Yeah.. but that's boring, don't you think?

Thats just like how the MEC can't get on the ship.. easy kills.. boring game.
Admittedly... it wasn't the most exciting round I'd played. But it helps the team, keeping that Essex AA off of them, and we got a fair amount of points for it. In that case, if my memory serves me right, MECSF eventually took the Flight Deck and the other upper flag (Viewing Deck?) so we just took a boat to the carrier... and then the server crashed.
sfg-Ice__
+4|6654
This is a good basic guide.  Your missing some of the finer points but thats ok.  To be honest with you, the hind will not win you the game what so ever.  I find that the guys in the hind tend to rape flight deck and really don't do much to help the rest of the team.  The real object of the entire team should be to initially take a flag on the boat.  I have my way that works about 9 out of 10 times.  You para drop on the deck at the beginning of the con tower.   You jump throught the access there and run your happy ass down to Fore or MD and cap that flag.  Its the quickest and safest way.  It places you just outside the fire range of the major two concentrations of seal forces. 

I would like to say this to you all....If the enemy has both choppers screw the flight deck and viewing deck (unless the pilots are morons) you can sit and defend below decks very well instead of giving chopper whores free kills...

I would share more but there is only so much you can tell someone and it reach the point where they actually need to learn the map.
BobtheBean
+0|6472
You're joking, right?  My setup is an Athlon 3000+, 1 GB Corsair RAM, nVidia Gefore 6800, Soundblaster Live-64 bit, and this map runs perfectly on mine...try lowering your settings if its going slow
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6753|Toronto, ON
If you are on MECSF and are losing.  Just TK the guys not doing their job in the chopper and solo.
Alpha as fuck.
DSRTurtle
+56|6687

Nyte wrote:

If you are on MECSF and are losing.  Just TK the guys not doing their job in the chopper and solo.
lame ass answer from a lame ass player.
HCSkorpio
Hind Secks
+8|6538|California
Pretty good guide.

I play Iron Gator in TCS and OBC, but pretty much you summerizied what all the good players do.

Usually Nastie Butler and I think one of the TCS 3 star generals always get into the hind,  destroy the essex turret,  and spin the hind killing all the anti tank on the flight deck.

The tungska is a great asset for the MEC because I always use the guns to destory the ESSEX turret,  and you can aim at the flight deck and spray the deck.  The only problem with the tunguska is in order to do some serious damage you need to place your vehicle far enough into the water without it taking damage.

I still think its basically comes down to public servers,  who you are against with.  I still believe the MEC has a really hard time getting on the the iron gator.  Because sometimes you can just C4 the helicopter when it tries to get inside the Iron Gator.  I got my explosives badge that way,  by doing that twice to the MEC helicopter trying to get inside that "elevator - levy".

The MEC flying tub always get spotted,  and a lot of anti tank shoot up their SRAW's bringing it down. 

It is still best for the MEC to take the upper decks cause its easier fighting downhill than uphill.  But thats hard to do as lot of snipers and other people like medic,  support guard the upper decks with clays,  PKMs..etc.

Still though Iron Gator is a fun map to play.
Windrider_Melb

HCSkorpio wrote:

It is still best for the MEC to take the upper decks cause its easier fighting downhill than uphill.  But thats hard to do as lot of snipers and other people like medic,  support guard the upper decks with clays,  PKMs..etc.
This is very true, pinning the SEALS below decks means MECSF can pull resources from asset defence and anti-air. And grenades go down stairs really nicely.

And at least you've explained to me why the Mess is so often the first flag capped

Recently as SEALs we were pinned below decks but had all the below decks flags. The MECSF had both attack choppers (both as Hinds luckily) and kept trying to fly them into the hangar. I was in the boxes next to the elevator and kept it constantly moving up and down (while dying and getting revived a lot). Neither of the pilots we game enough to try getting in there with me flipping the switch all the time - I'd love to see what happens if you *do* crush a chopper in the elevator...

\\'
DSRTurtle
+56|6687

Windrider_Melb wrote:

HCSkorpio wrote:

This is very true, pinning the SEALS below decks means MECSF can pull resources from asset defence and anti-air. And grenades go down stairs really nicely.

And at least you've explained to me why the Mess is so often the first flag capped

Recently as SEALs we were pinned below decks but had all the below decks flags. The MECSF had both attack choppers (both as Hinds luckily) and kept trying to fly them into the hangar. I was in the boxes next to the elevator and kept it constantly moving up and down (while dying and getting revived a lot). Neither of the pilots we game enough to try getting in there with me flipping the switch all the time - I'd love to see what happens if you *do* crush a chopper in the elevator...

\\'
That would be funny to see.  I killed one of the helo's trying to fly into the hanger bay yesterday with a couple of AT rockets.  The gunner kept shooting at me but missed Have to love unprepared people sometimes.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6532
Some very nice ideas. The bad thing is you wont be able to organize such a tactic with so many people doing god knows what. Another thing that is quite succesful is flying into the hangar bay with the transport chopper. That is to say if there is no C4 on teh entrance and if someone doesnt raise the deck while ur flying in. 6 Peole inside the gator and they can start capping the hangar bay right away and move on from there.

Oh yeah another thing we did was I was squad leader piloting the transport and I rose to like 500 height or so and just kept hovering over the gator and people just kept spawning and bailing out and landing right on top of it.

Last edited by ShadowFoX (2006-08-10 09:09:36)

Windrider_Melb

DSRTurtle wrote:

Windrider_Melb wrote:

HCSkorpio wrote:

\\'
That would be funny to see.  I killed one of the helo's trying to fly into the hanger bay yesterday with a couple of AT rockets.  The gunner kept shooting at me but missed Have to love unprepared people sometimes.
Well for some wierdass reason the DICE guys have made some ridiculous fanatasy eunuch of the real Hind - instead of a 20-30mm rotary cannon (imagine the gun off the linebacker or havok firing 2-3 times faster) they gave it something more like the stunted 50cals of the jeeps and transport choppers. And for some reason they got rid of the personnel transport section (4 troops I believe) and most of the payload capability. So yeah, I can believe the gunner kept missing; he'd need multiple direct hits to actually lay you out. (I wish they would simulate the equipment realistically and then find game balance a different way)

\\'
Spiderman696
+12|6647
Destroing the essex aa from the shore is a very nice idea. Will use it in my next match.

+1 for you.
darkcrystal
First Aid! Here!
+12|6688
my 2 cents:

at the start of the round, TV THE GOD DAMN ESSEX GUN.  jesus, it is so easy and so quick it just boggles my mind how NO ONE thinks of it.  from there, you can totally rape the deck, because the appache will be suppressed by the massive ammounts of aa on the beach. 

however, it is rather easy to tv the tungsakakakaka from behind the essex, because once you see where the missles are coming from, its a sitting duck (well, for me at least...).  usually people forget to man the iglas, so once the tungsakakaka is down, go ahead and rape the island.
†FW†Ravenwolf
lol.. i feel your pain .. thre's not too many guys that know that.. so hopefully they read what we are saying.  Other wise its just a double ass rape if you have a gunner who can't take out the Essex gun.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6532
The Gauntlet is filled with 2 kinds of gunners. Amazing hit-anything-with-tv gunners like Raven, M_Harrower and others and gunners who do not know the exsistence of the TV guided missile let alone use it. My good gunners get constant TV oppurtunities and my bad gunners dont get squat I just rape the deck with the rockets until the apachea finally hits me with a tv since there is no way to take one down with the flying bus hind without a good gunner unless the Apachea pilot sucks total ass.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6674|Colorado
Oh god its finally time for these 2 sides to be played, Iron Gator 24/7 here I come.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
Well done. I'll run Iron Gator on my server later tonight and my clan will give this strategy a field test. Looks pretty solid. I'd like to see your full strategy for the Seal team.

I think I've played a total of about two hours on Gator, so this may actually encourage me to go ahead and give it a shot, now that some of the key flags and positiions have been explained.

+1

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard