TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6643|Birmingham, UK
Every time, unless they are right on top of me...then I kill 'em!
sdg666
+2|6575|Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada
Spoting is a necessity in this game, so we always know what the foes are doing.

As a pilot, I love when team mates spot APC, Tanks, AA, ... so i avoid if to much damage or kill if possible, but yeah... usully a kill infantry in mass.

But remember, when your infantry ans spot, don't get to close of, so your pilot won't get punish for a temkill... this is really annoying
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6781

I try to spot a much as I can.  But I guess sometimes in gets annoying when you get killed when you are in a squad, then you start yelling over the mic trying to describe where the enemy is.......

usmarine2005 :  Dude, shit...he is to your left...no no no...I mean right!
jetmechanic1 :  What the fuck are you takling about?
usmarine2005 :  He ran off to the east of the church

jetmechanic1 killed by ph33r Korp

jetmechanic1 :  Why didn't you tell me where he was asshole?
TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6613|Las Vegas, NV USA
I play a lot of sniper, so I spot just about everything I can set my sights on.  If I'm commander, I flood the comm and minimap with spotted enemy targets.  Unfortunately, as a result I also get a bunch of generic "enemy activity" messages, and that really annoys me to no end.

However, that doesn't annoy me more than when I turn a corner on foot, see an enemy MBA or APC aiming at me, and five of my own teammates looking at said armor without a single spot used by any one of them.  Knowledge is king in this game, and I use my minimap religiously.  To not spot an enemy out, especially when the time is available, is just foolish.

usmarine2005 wrote:

I try to spot a much as I can.  But I guess sometimes in gets annoying when you get killed when you are in a squad, then you start yelling over the mic trying to describe where the enemy is.......

usmarine2005 :  Dude, shit...he is to your left...no no no...I mean right!
jetmechanic1 :  What the fuck are you takling about?
usmarine2005 :  He ran off to the east of the church

jetmechanic1 killed by ph33r Korp

jetmechanic1 :  Why didn't you tell me where he was asshole?
LMAO, I know exactly what you mean!

Last edited by TrueArchon (2006-05-16 13:00:38)

[tlv]TDL
+7|6677
Spot! Always, at least 3 times! As a jet pilot I want you to spot everything, makes my job so much easier!
Presul
+12|6661|With my rifle, where else?
Whenever I'm riding in a blackhawk I tried to spot as many people or tanks as possible. Especially since the gun was toned down.
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6769|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
I spot hard targets (tanks, helos, other vehicles) when I'm ground pounding. I spot targets when I can if I'm flying/gunning.

I spot as commander only if I have an asset at a place where they could be in danger and I couldn't put up a UAV OR when someone is capping a flag different than where my assets are currently involved.

IMO, if you spot everything as commander, it's information overload and the troops stop listening.

EDIT: Oh, and I spot snipers when I see 'em if I don't have the right kit to fix their problem.

Last edited by [1stSSF]=Nuka= (2006-05-16 13:03:38)

CmdrTenchi
Sniper / End-Runner / Wedge
+5|6749|Behind your front lines...
When I can, I do.  I just find it funny when you spot someone, and then immediately thereafter kill them.
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6763|St. Paul, MN
I spot most things except infantry. As said before, pointing out planes can help friendly pilots escape from a persuit. Armor and APCs are always a good thing to spot as it makes a pilot's or anti tank's job a lot easier, plus it serves as a good warning for your teammates. Spotting vehicles also helps moniter their movement, so your team can prepare a defense, flank and destroy, launch a counterattack, or avoid a nasty situation. Anti-air vehicles are definitely worthwile to spot, that goes for stationary anti-air as well as mobile. If you see a turret that's being used, manually spot it from the right-click menu.
     As far as infantry goes, spotting can still be very useful, but there's no need to spot every soldier you see. spotting snipers and campers is the most use spotting of infantry. Spotting infantry is a much larger and more important job for the commander than for soldiers. It's a commander's job to moniter the enemy's movements and relay that information to his forces and he has many ways he can do this namely UAV's, and satellite scanning.
     Another way to detect enemies is by 'blind spotting.' This is where you select a location on the map and spot there, without zooming in, to determine whether there are enemies near by. Good examples of this would be spoting around your airstrip to find a sniper, or spotting a flag that's turned gray. Blind spotting is useful for when you don't have a scanner sweep ready or when you think there might be enemies but you only know the general area they might be in, or when they're in a build or under a roof.
     You can also blind spot as an infantry, though it's not as practical since your spotting radius is smaller and you can't spot ppl through walls and ceilings. You would do this when you have a good idea of what direction enemy fire is coming from, but can't seem to see them (eg they're hiding behind some foliage or have some sort of cover.) By doing this, you can spot enemies you might not have been able to find otherwise and trace their icon on the minimap to their exact location.
     There are many, many reasons to use spotting. However there are also reasons not to spot. If you're playing as a commander, don't spot every single unit on the map, it is obnoxious and quite unhelpful as it clutters up peoples screen with needless text and minimap icons. Spotting the same thing over and over when there is no one who can deal with it is also pointless. Spotting becomes spamming when you do it without a purpose.
Oh, I almost forgot, it's most useful to spot moving targets as they are harder to track from a UAV.

Last edited by Kkookie (2006-05-16 14:11:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard