RedEyes-CAD
+1|6728|Arizona
Ok, I'm hosting a lan for about 15 people. All of the ones I've done before have been around 3-4, and I'm wondering if my computer can handle being the server for more people, or if it will stay the same.

So, will my computer(build will follow) be able to host games on CS:S and BF2?
and, As computers are added to a lan is more stress sent to the host?

amd 3000+ @1.8 now might go to 2.3 2.4 ish for lan
2gb ddr400 ram @ 3-3-3-8
ati x800xl pcie
160gb hdd
550w psu

Anything else needed, just post it.
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6690|Canada Eh?
Enemy boat spotted?
JE3146
+109|6587|Oregon

RedEyes-CAD wrote:

Ok, I'm hosting a lan for about 15 people. All of the ones I've done before have been around 3-4, and I'm wondering if my computer can handle being the server for more people, or if it will stay the same.

So, will my computer(build will follow) be able to host games on CS:S and BF2?
and, As computers are added to a lan is more stress sent to the host?

amd 3000+ @1.8 now might go to 2.3 2.4 ish for lan
2gb ddr400 ram @ 3-3-3-8
ati x800xl pcie
160gb hdd
550w psu

Anything else needed, just post it.
I think you should be more preoccupied with your power setup.

I ran LAN's back in highschool. Anywhere from 15 to 55 people.

Anything over 10 starts getting hairy with the amperage needed.

Factor 15amp circuits for residential lines. Max I'd say of 5 comps per circuit. So make sure you have atleast 3 dedicated circuits running into the room. Also make sure that you run 2 extension cords per circuit because most low grade cords are only rated for 10A.

3A per comp is a pretty safe guess, with room to spare.
RedEyes-CAD
+1|6728|Arizona
Ok, so 5 comps per circuit....I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Any ideas on the comp load?
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6782|Toronto Canada
i dont thinks thats really and issue it it? got routers?
RedEyes-CAD
+1|6728|Arizona
Yah, my friend is bringing a 25 port router.   

Now, the only problem is fitting about 15 people in my basement, xD!

Thanks for your guys help
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6612|Ohio, USA
is your net fast enough to upload/download with all of the splitting of 25 people?
slo5oh
+28|6677

Janus67 wrote:

is your net fast enough to upload/download with all of the splitting of 25 people?
Isn't the game smart enough to allow for a "local server" so he doesn't end up with 15 guys sending traffic across 1 (forgive me) DSL or Cable line?  That's a real quesion, I've never setup a server.

The only real "net" traffic should be the server connection to the net and those that are connected to it in the "outside" world.  Otherwise a standard cat5 100mb network will laugh at the little traffic of 15 people sharing the load of 1 game.  I don't think they make "hubs" anymore that are not actually "routers".  All the hubs I've bought in the last 5 years or so have actually proven to be routers, even the little 4 or 5 port ones.  The difference for those that don't know is a hub is dumb and sends network packets to all ports while a router "directs" the traffic only to the 1 port it's going to.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6612|Ohio, USA

slo5oh wrote:

Janus67 wrote:

Isn't the game smart enough to allow for a "local server" so he doesn't end up with 15 guys sending traffic across 1 (forgive me) DSL or Cable line?  That's a real quesion, I've never setup a server.

The only real "net" traffic should be the server connection to the net and those that are connected to it in the "outside" world.  Otherwise a standard cat5 100mb network will laugh at the little traffic of 15 people sharing the load of 1 game.  I don't think they make "hubs" anymore that are not actually "routers".  All the hubs I've bought in the last 5 years or so have actually proven to be routers, even the little 4 or 5 port ones.  The difference for those that don't know is a hub is dumb and sends network packets to all ports while a router "directs" the traffic only to the 1 port it's going to.
so basically what he should be using is a 25port switch, not a router.
RedEyes-CAD
+1|6728|Arizona
We will be connected to internet for when everybody dies down, but we'll be playing on a local server...which will be me.

I don't know what exactly my friend is brining, but he said 25 port router...so I'll use that.
Maj.Do
+85|6768|good old CA
im sure its a network switch^.
dont forget snacks : ) .
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6711|Vancouver BC Canada
When we did a 25-30 player lan in town (small town) we just used a couple of routers. Routers are like switches, but smarter. For local games it should work fine. Does anyone else have a faster PC?

Whats your network card/routers speed?

My AMD FX-53@ 2.4Ghz hates to host even with 2Gb of ram, although i think its a heat issue. (dual EVGA 7800GT COs below processor /w stock heatsink). A dual core or a hyperthreading Intel would fare better hosting, even though I hate advising using Intel (dedicated Intel basher).

Also, is this a dedicated host or are you going to try and play on the same PC? Thats starting to load that PC if thats what you're planning. See if anyone else with a faster PC would be willing to run as the host.

P.S. Dont use single player bots they load up a PC so fast its not even funny.
Maj.Do
+85|6768|good old CA
i dont think bf2 works well with HT.  so far only Q4 and COD2 sees any improvements in SMP
JE3146
+109|6587|Oregon
If my networking terminology hasn't been lost from years of inactivity, he'll need a router, and a switch.

Connect the switch to the router via crossover cable, then plug everyone into the switch.

This will assign IP addresses to everyone on the switch.

Using mulitple routers will just create a whole mess of subnets and it might be difficult to find games on the LAN IIRC.

I haven't done this for YEARS. Man did I feel like i was dusting off cobwebs thinking through this post
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6640|Edinburg
if you're running a server and playing on that you'll almost definately have difficulties, but if its just as a server for 15 players i'd guess you'll probably get away with it, especially if you clock it up over 2ghz you shouldn't have any problems.
slo5oh
+28|6677

Janus67 wrote:

slo5oh wrote:

Janus67 wrote:

so basically what he should be using is a 25port switch, not a router.
You're right... too much caffeine 4 me today!

Hub = dumb network connector (each packet is sent to EVERY port)
switch = smart network connector (each packet is sent only to the 1 port it's going to)
router = VERY smart network connector that allows "routing".  (such as a firewall/router box used to share 1 internet connection)
duhh... some days I wonder where I left my brain...
vjs
+19|6788
What slo5oh said about hubs, routers and switches.

We had about 12 people hosted the game off a 3G P4 with 1G of ram no issues.

For networking a 10-port switch no issues at all, yup 10-port with two routers attached. I think about 6 people tapped of the switch and the rest were off the routers or hubs.

I also can't stress the power enough as well. Try to find at least 1 circut per 5 people and get some decent cords.

Basically choose an outlet, then switch off that breaker. Try to find another that still works.

Just b/c it has a different wall plug doesn't mean its a different circut. Generally everything on one wall is on the same circut.

Also you can play with about 4 people on-line together, 5 was too much for us. Might want to try looking for wireless signals or talking to your neighbour.

If your close neighbour (next door same street etc) has a cable modem as well. Try borrowing it for the day, you can hook it up in your house and it should work. Someone from a different street or even just down the block... nope won't work the MAC is not valid for that particular cable node. If they are on DSL, one of your 15 might have 100 feet of CAT5e... I know I do.
Maj.Do
+85|6768|good old CA
i dont think a house connection can even support more then 5and up.  the upload cap may be the bottleneck: (
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6640|Edinburg
depends on the number of players in a server. at a rough guess (and something I read ages ago) someone on a 64-player map will use about 100k, so assuming a 386(ish) upload around 4 people is right, lower the map size you play on the more people can play (though not double for 32-p etc., think the min bf2 uses is around 30-40k). play on a 16-player map you could prob get away with 6 or maybe more......only one way to find out!
RedEyes-CAD
+1|6728|Arizona
Very cool guys, thanks. 

I'll definantly try the breaker-circuit thing. 
We'll be on a local server(me) and not online.  We've tried having 4 people on one bf2 server on my internet, doesn't work.

Yep, getting snacks a few days before, I'm already stocking up on dew xD!
Maj.Do
+85|6768|good old CA
my lan party last week had 20 boxes of pizza and alot of gatorade(no beer for reasons), and chips, we also had some popcorn machine lol .  Bf2 is fun at a lan party i tell you.

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-05-15 18:45:00)

the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6711|Vancouver BC Canada

JE3146 wrote:

If my networking terminology hasn't been lost from years of inactivity, he'll need a router, and a switch.

Connect the switch to the router via crossover cable, then plug everyone into the switch.

This will assign IP addresses to everyone on the switch.

Using mulitple routers will just create a whole mess of subnets and it might be difficult to find games on the LAN IIRC.

I haven't done this for YEARS. Man did I feel like i was dusting off cobwebs thinking through this post
I have a dual router set up at home and it acts as 1 network w/o sub networks. Im pretty sure a mutiport router should do the trick.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard