128mb x300
$9 mouse
stupid wireless keyboard

if I upgraded, get a new computer
would i get better
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6673|San Francisco, CA
more power = better. Assuming you know what you're doing with..whatever.

what kind of mouse, keyboard, ram do you have?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

You'd get a better gaming experiance. I seem to find tha if I'm on one of the shitty computers at my iCafe I don't do quite so well as when i'm on one of the two decent computers, (90% of the time controlled by WoWers.)

You seem pretty good anyway, so probably not.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
[NTHW]LemonyBrainAid
Karma whore
+27|6637
Yes. When I upgraded from 2x256mb RAM to 2x1GB (Dual Channel) I saw a huge difference.
I now own you all.
Sexy in Garden
+11|6598
I have exactly the same spec and gfx card as you except my cpu is 3.0Ghz. Mine's a dell dimension 5000, so crap
a fly
+105|6659|The netherlands
the better the pc, the easyer it becomes. that is if you have skill (havent looked at stats )
l::.:LIAM:.::l
+139|6688|Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

MURcarnage wrote:

labtec mouse that always disconects
hp wireless keybord
generic 2x256 ram
gbr.hitman
Fair Play!
+21|6616|Warwickshire, England
yes you would become a better player.

You would spawn a lot quicker, you could change your graphics settings so you can see clearer and further, and the game will run a lot more smoothly. Also, if you get a new mouse, your accuracy should improve and you should get more kills as you can respond to things quicker.

and don't forget a decent pair of headphones! my game improved so much when i got headphones, as you can hear exactly when a tank is coming, and where from, from a distance. You can even hear the arty firing from a long ditance too and not to mention people creaping up on you
Dodoextinct
+16|6664
I have a generic Keyboard ( I am getting a G15 probably ) and a G5 laser mouse. Yes it will make a difference.

It is like touch typing, once you start getting good at it, you just get better and better. Also, better hardware (ie RAM, GFX, Monitor) all help. But don't overlook the simple things.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6593|Florida

gbr.hitman wrote:

yes you would become a better player.

You would spawn a lot quicker, you could change your graphics settings so you can see clearer and further, and the game will run a lot more smoothly. Also, if you get a new mouse, your accuracy should improve and you should get more kills as you can respond to things quicker.

and don't forget a decent pair of headphones! my game improved so much when i got headphones, as you can hear exactly when a tank is coming, and where from, from a distance. You can even hear the arty firing from a long ditance too and not to mention people creaping up on you
A better than factory sound card would be better for this too.  I noticed a huge difference when I got a new sound card.  I didnt change my speakers, just the card.

A better PC will make things run better, which in the end of course will feel like your able to play better.  If your skill has outmatched your computer, well.....then your computer can just keep up with you and youll score more.  If your computer outmatches you, then there is plenty room to grow.
MURcarnage

l::.:LIAM:.::l wrote:

MURcarnage wrote:

labtec mouse that always disconects
hp wireless keybord
generic 2x256 ram
well, mouse/keyboard doesn't usually matter, but RAM sure does make a difference. You oughta get more ram and probably a name brand, but the most expensive isn't always the best! be sure to check out g33k sites like www.hardocp.com 'r some other geeky-site for reviews about ram 'n stuff. There's also www.bensbargains.net where they basically list a buttload of deals going on. Not all of them are computer related.

For mouse & kb, i prefer wired. There's just too much of a hassle with wireless. As a matter of fact, wireless sucks. But yeah, for a mouse, get like..a Logitech MX518, they're pretty good. Wired and optical, and on the fly sensitivity changing.

Keyboard, that's really up to you. I use a Microsoft Multimedia KB that's an ergo. Not a fan of the typical straight keyboards. But you really don't have to get a fancy-pants KB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
CrazeD
+368|6688|Maine
Get a Logitch G5 gaming mouse..it just simply pwns anything else. $52 shipped at newegg.com

When I went from 512mb RAM to 1GB, it was a night n' day difference. Flying jets was like a slideshow.. like .5 FPS, and once I upgraded the RAM (it was only a 40$ stick of Kingston DDR400 too) the lag was gone (for the most part).

If you buy RAM, get a quality brand. G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston - all good brands to choose from. Get DDR500 if you plan to overclock at any point in the future.

You're biggest improvement would be a new video card though. Slap in a GeForce 6800 256mb card, that will be a huge upgrade from your x300.

A faster harddrive will do you some good too. See if you can grab a pair of Western Digital 34GB Raptors (10,000RPM...yeeee) and set them up in RAID 0/1 (if you have a RAID compatible motherboard/powersupply). A good SATA RAID drive will chop your verifying time in half. Good RAM will do you even better.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6717|New York
The 2 things you need to upgrade is The ram(you NEED 1gig or more to enjoy this game) And a different vidio card. If you have PCIexpress, A vanilla 6800 256mb card will make you see what you have been missing.

Oh sorry one more thing, A G5 Wired mouse is a must IMO. Great On the fly DPI  Awesome!

I also did the Tips in the sticky on the main page, Bypassing the pagefile on my computer(as per the tip) Has really helped with getting the drop on a one on one or three on one gun battle. It use to be me that died in a half second, now with the better response, I get the kills like the Uber Elite do in the rounds. Now that i have aquired alot more skill, My new account is MUCH better than my old one.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6667
I'd say the single biggest change when I went to a new keyboard, mouse, processor, graphics card, memory, motherboard would be the mouse. It probably made the biggest difference when it comes to sniping, especially for long range where I can change the dpi suddenly to a very low setting and get pixel perfect accuracy.

That said the fact that I now have what is classed a "bitch'n" system helps too.

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-05-13 06:45:06)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6680|NT, like Mick Dundee

I just wish to add to this thread that LIAM is a farkin good player already... Haven't seen his stats but he killed me, repeatedly. Which isn't hard, but it isn't easy either...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6642|Warlord
Q. Does a good PC make a difference?
A. Yes.

After being hooked up with an extra gig of RAM to take me up to two I'd say now that's a must-have if you can afford it. And a really high-spec machine will make things in-game go more smoothly... as the saying goes: better, stronger, faster

Flecco wrote:

I just wish to add to this thread that LIAM is a farkin good player already... Haven't seen his stats but he killed me, repeatedly. Which isn't hard, but it isn't easy either...
Yeah, his stats aren't too shabby so with a better machine I'm sure he'll kick even more ass.
Bilco
+3|6689|Northamptonshire UK
Have to agree with most here, add more RAM and you wil be flying through to the Spawn screen, I have 4GB of RAM, cheap stuff mind, cost £120 from dabs.com. But I have just upgraded my motherboard, hard disks and Graphics, Got an AMD 3000+, with ASUS MB with SLi and 2 7900GT's, with 500GB HD on SATA. I seem to spawn, on a new map, either first or second.
Before I upgraded though i had 2GB of RAM and shoved in 2 more and that made the Biggest difference I have known so far.
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6714|U.S
i have 3 gig of ram it just flys through loding i think a wired keyboard is best because if batteries start to die it just pises you off wireless mouse isnt bad it eats batteries but if you have rechargeable ones that helps big time.
jermyang
I've Seen the Saucers.
+38|6755|Norcal, usa
your guys' systems kick my system's ass.
i run everything on low.
MURcarnage
well go get a job, and buy a better one. whiner.
jermyang
I've Seen the Saucers.
+38|6755|Norcal, usa
hey, be cool
Maj.Do
+85|6767|good old CA
i dont think so... well on a better computer u might not lag alot and load times and so on
Defiance
+438|6686

Better framerate and less lag will give you more oppurtunities to see and attack your opponent (try playing on 40FPS compared to 4) but if you don't know how to aim either way, a smoother framerate won't help.
pfc_toecutter
meatshield
+38|6633|Houston, TX

[NTHW]LemonyBrainAid wrote:

Yes. When I upgraded from 2x256mb RAM to 2x1GB (Dual Channel) I saw a huge difference.
I now own you all.
Yeah, when I went to 2 gigs it was a HUGE difference.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6721|Antarctica
A good PC improves your reaction times drastically because you get a better frame rate.  When I got my current PC I started getting about double the points per round.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard