IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6736
I was wondering how this went, seems to have gone good. Im sure u had fun thanx for the insider info.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6846|San Francisco

General.ly gravy wrote:

well done you lucky lucky boys
i would have given an ear to go E3

i think thyey shoul should have changed the game engine but i will give it a try anyway
Man, I would have given an ear to go to E3 too... unfortunately the closet they had us in at EA was not nearly as fun as E3 would have been, but it was still a blast.
Deadlift
+9|6679
Good work on the report.
However I'm still not convinced this will be a Battlefield Game, and not simply another UT clone.
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6656|San Francisco, CA
well. i guess all our rigs are current rigs that can handle BF2, can handle 2142..which is a good thing...I guess. Rather disappointing though since EA/DICE seem to just be basically rushing this game out though, instead of putting a good amount of time in to it, making it prettier and adding newer and BETTER content.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6711|Norway

chuyskywalker wrote:

Kilroy: OpenlGL -- heh, you're funny. As much as I am a fan there, not gonna happen.

Also, yeah 2142 is *not* a major graphical upgrade. Some reviews/interviews they've said they did "massive updates" -- and perhaps they did. But don't think "upgrades" think "optimizations". If anything the game should run smoother and faster while looking about the same or just a little better.

Also, if you want to see some really next-gen stuff, check out the Crysis trailers. These are things BF3 will NEED or will fail:

- collision environments
- soft particles
- advanced, high-detailed shaders (look at the faces at the end, omgwtfhax!)
- real time soft shadows with raytracing, bounce light and diffuse lighting. (wow, just...wow)
- volumentric lighting and objects (think clouds -- flying THROUGH clouds? badass)

THAT'S stuff you will not see in 2142 -- BF3 though, for sure. (It is also my very educated guess that BF3 is NOT going to be a future mod -- maybe slight future, but more like bf2 than 2142. God I hope so...)
OMGF!!!!

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/vids_1.html

*wet pants*

Sick!!!!!

*wet pants again*

Last edited by Friluftshund (2006-05-13 13:24:00)

ZhaoYun
+0|6618
Defiently looking forward to the game.

A great insight of the game, and great video. It was defiently something i wanted to see, as in most gaming sites, they didn't show the first person view and the hud and all that, but you gave exactly what i wanted to see!
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6804|Portland, OR, USA

kilroy0097 wrote:

Viper007Bond wrote:

I'll buy it the day it comes out, but it'll probably be the same kinda thing as BF2 -- i.e. designed for the noob pubber rather than the skilled match player.
While the game is easy to grasp and easy to participate in as well as the intial learning curve is rather easy I would hardly say the entire game is designed for the noob pubber. In fact I see a lot of clans that are absolutely killer clans. The Elite squad groups of OG and 101st just to name two. I believe you put skilled mature players in the game together without any idiots and you have an amazing and difficult modern combat FPS.

Seriously Viper you must be pissed off about the game right now to say such a blanket and encompassing statement.
UAVs so you can't hide / sneak up on people? Guns that fire bullets that go no where near where you aim?

I guess I must just be not remembering how BF1942 and BFV were.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Viper38
+118|6668
If most of the BF2s crew is going to support it then I probably will as well. I'm not a fan of futuristic games so I'll have to see ...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6720|Sydney, Australia

one of the guys wrote:

We spent all Wednesday playing against wandering players on the show floor
...you lucky bastards.

I haven't looked at the screens or the video yet (will do later), but the game looks good.

My only problem is with those floating gun drones. EA/Dice ripped them straight out of warhammer:
https://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tau/catalog/images/gun_drones.gif
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/ … drones.htm

Oh, and even though some people were rather impatient that your report didn't come out the day after E3, it was well worth the wait to see the extra effort that you put into http://bf2s.com/2142/ .

Mcminty.

EDIT: What file type is the video? Is it for quicktime or Windows player?

Tisk, tisk, tisk EA. I looked at the screens and saw "unmanned flying drone... only useably for squad leaders". In the game that the drones were ripped from, the squadleaders could get drones as an upgrade for their squad.

Last edited by mcminty (2006-05-13 19:16:15)

Milkballs
+16|6557|CT, US
Mcminty: It's default loadup program is for Quicktime, while I have my default loader as Winamp; Quicktime format.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6842|Bryan/College Station, TX

tF-afrojap wrote:

The main grudge I have about 2142’s development is that it looses focus, and waters down the series.. BF2 is such a fun game, and still has a lot of untapped potential. As an end consumer, I would have easily paid the 2142 price tag for a map pack (maybe 5-8 new maps) with some solid patches for BF2 vanilla. I would expect some new content in this new map pack, but this would not be such an undertaking as developing a new title since all the game assets are already there. Production costs would be lower, and the rest of the team could be focusing on R&D for the REAL sequel. If this was the case we would have a deeper and more diverse BF2 experience, and earlier delivery of the sequel (since we are getting rid of the intermediate product.). This is just my wish as an end consumer, and I’m sure DICE’s current strategy makes more sense from a marketing standpoint.. just my 2c. We still love your work DICE, keep it up!
I couldn't agree more as far as paying the same amount of money for a kick ass map expansion pack (no repeat of Special Forces). We already have tons of fun with the current installment of the Battlefield series that really they had no need to bring in BF2142 except for one particular nitch of the FPS market. The SCI-FI FPSers.

There is quite a few of them out there who are hooked on only Futuristic FPS type games. Quake, HALO, Unreal, Tribes. These all take place in the far future and I would expect that each of these games has a core group that just don't like FPS games based on modern combat (shock and horror), i.e. they don't play Battlefield, CounterStrike, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, SWAT etc.  So in truth while we may look at BF2142 as nothing more than a supped up Mod or expansion pack for BF2, I believe that DICE is looking at it as an attempt to pull even more FPS gamers into the Battlefield Series. Purely marketing in my opinion. I do not believe they expect to draw too many people completely from BF2. I fully expect that they intend on many people still playing BF2. It's just another genre.. another draw... for a different market of people.

I know I'm look forward to it just to give myself something different to play when not playing BF2. It will be just different enough to feel like a change.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
khmer
+86|6676|Central California
I can't wait looks good so far.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6654|Brisbane, Australia

What say you on news of the toilets!

Will ye comman man be able to take a crap on the very battlefield?!
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6804|Portland, OR, USA

Sarrk wrote:

What say you on news of the toilets!

Will ye comman man be able to take a crap on the very battlefield?!
On the face of the guy you just knifed of course! When you're humping them, make sure to take a dump too.

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-05-14 00:38:56)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
It looks pretty good - though the graphics might need a little work (in the movie). Though that could be due to the early build, however. All in all, the movie convinces me that this is a game worth buying.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Ugaminor
+21|6671
LOL... I wonder if I played with you guys when I was there.  I didn't get to walk the floor until Friday (working our booth).  I thought it was cool but you could definitely tell it was a pre-alpha E3 build.  The sniper/recon class sway will take some getting used to.  The titan game mode is definitely very involved and will require alot of teamwork but it allows for a mix of CC and open map fighting.  I wasn't fond of the donut like hit indicator.  I agree with alot of your points.  The customization of each kit is neat and the mechs do feel very clunky.  I'm glad you guys explained to me how the pods work I never got around to that.  All in all it was fun, but it truly is just an "official mod."  GG bf2s!
-EcS-Blade
Mr.Speakman
+153|6638|Manchester UK
Is the Titan mod ranked ?
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835
I think I am going to pass on this one, Like I said before ( Team fortress, MOH, BF42, BHD, BFV, ) BF2  will be my last game. Time to grow up. Really, this time I mean it. Maybe, I might buy it just to see what its like.
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6773|Nova Scotia, Canada

Commanders get x0.5 for loss? That should reduce the number of noobs commander then I think.

Dugg it too!
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6686|UK
i'd rather play with my own shit than this steaming heap
[DEI]Bart
fire at will!!!
+76|6711|Leiden, Holland for the n00bs
teh concept is pretty cool but they have to cool down a bit and wait for a new engine so the game is less a copy/mod of BF2
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6729|Michigan
Well, I think I'll buy it. I trust almost everything bf2s sees as cool. Hav'nt been steered wrong yet!!!
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6711|Norway

[DEI]Bart wrote:

teh concept is pretty cool but they have to cool down a bit and wait for a new engine so the game is less a copy/mod of BF2
Nah.. That's what'll sell BF3 when that comes
gameaddict
+35|6678|let op drempels

tF-afrojap wrote:

Here’s how I felt about the graphics.
BF2 has solid graphics, and it's still is a beautiful game on a decent gfx configuration. I can appreciate it more now that I’ve looked at the textures maps and realized how efficiently textures are utilized in this game. It really is a work of art. I think my comment in the graphics section in the review was pretty harsh, but when you look at 2142’s upcoming competitors, I felt that the gfx did fall short in comparison. This is a different thing from where my comfort zone is, and like I said, I would be perfectly happy with BF2 gfx
so on wich settings where you guys playing on in the vid??(low,medium,high)

Last edited by gameaddict (2006-05-14 18:20:33)

RedEyes-CAD
+1|6710|Arizona
I'll buy it because seriously, what else will there be to play?

Even though it looks like BF:Star Wars, I'll still support EA's modding of BF2 until they take over the world, then which we will all be forced to buy their new games; and if we don't we'll be forced to play the Sim's repeatedly. *cringe*  And by then it will be Sims: Space Dating!  *re-cringe*

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard