MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6798|EUR
Before I made a topic on similar theme, about me getting an extra 512mb of ram, but declined the offer after you guys told me it would be a bad idea. 512mb x3 = bad. Well I was wandering will having my default 512mb x2 and an EXTRA 1gig of ram. (It will add up to a total of 2gb.) Run fine?

Also will 2gigs of ram take away choppyness? Also how does it effect map loading?

Thanks.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6793|AUS, Canberra
yeh it will

even if its not the best idea three x 512 or 2 x 512 and 1 x 1024 is goign to make a difference to the game.
MuseSeeker
+110|6798|EUR
What do you mean by "not the best idea?" I hear having 1.5 gb will make gaming worse but having an equal amount like 1 or 2gb is better?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6620|Seattle

I noticed a huge difference when going from 1 gig to 1.5
I have 2x512 sticks and 2x256 sticks. Load times, lag, everything.
(Edit: Major *improvement* in case that wasn't clear)

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-05-11 09:38:44)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
remo
+20|6600
It's best to have pairs of memory sticks ... it's due to the way the memory bus architecture is on most motherboards.

That said ... more memory is still better.

Last edited by remo (2006-05-11 09:39:12)

MuseSeeker
+110|6798|EUR
Ok - but people here are saying http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=21169 it sucks.

(1.5gigs)

Last edited by MuseSeeker (2006-05-11 09:39:17)

No 1 Gooner
coopj Dependant
+98|6595|England
My game sucked at 1gig,i was last into the game and all the tanks,helis and jeeps had gone,some people had scored like ten points before id fired a shot and the game was more choppy but at 2 gig i must say the biggest improvement was the loading time,im usually the first in the game now(or at least one of them)and the game is less choppy though not that much cos my graphics card suck a bit!lol i would upgrade the gig as soon as possible as its the best cheapest upgrade with the most improvement!!

Last edited by No 1 Gooner (2006-05-11 10:25:21)

skywalker107
+2|6602
I agree with going for it. I did and am happy as shit some maps load twice as fast now. I was also one of the last people in a map when loading and now i am in the first 10 that get in and my maps are ALOT less choppy at the beginning. I recommend 2gb for this game if you can get it. And as far as 1.5gb as long as you are getting it by matched pairs 2x512 and 2x256 then you are ok 3x512 is questionable especially if your mother board is optimized for pairs like most but not all. (I.E. one motherboard i had only had 3 slots so i had no choice.)
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6620|Seattle

MuseSeeker wrote:

Ok - but people here are saying http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=21169 it sucks.

(1.5gigs)
All I know is that it helped me out and I totally noticed a difference. I don't have any lag and my maps load just as fast as anyone else'. My system's not great by today's standards. Intel 2.6GHz w/HT I have a 256MB AGP video card. 1.5G DDR PC3200

I have no complaints. My graphics are set to medium, I do get choppy when I go to High.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6794|Atlanta, GA USA
The key is to get pairs of memory so you can take advantage of Dual Channel mode in the memory controller.  So, if you want to increase to 1.5GB, you would add 2x256MB, not 1x512.  If you want to go to 2GB, you would add 2x512MB.  The two stick must have the same timings (best to just get two identical sticks).  Also, if you are adding 2 more 512s, it would probably be better to try to get two more sticks just like what you have.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6759|Salt Lake City

Okay, let me bring everyone up to snuff here.  His 3200+ running at 2.2GHz means that it is S754.  That means it is single channel, but he has a board with 3 slots. 

Populating all 3 slots is not recommended.  You will not have any problems using 1.5GB if you use 1 x 1GB and 1 x 512MB; I use this configuration without issue.  You will not have any problems using 2 x 1GB...just don't try to populate all 3 slots.

Here are what I would recommend for RAM configurations.

1GB: 1 x 1GB or 2 x 512MB are fine

1.5GB: 1 x 1GB + 1 x 512MB are fine

1.5GB: 3 x 512MB is not good

2GB: 2 x 1GB is fine

2GB: 1 x 1GB + 2 x 512MB is not good
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6646|Edinburg
Why is it single channel? I have the same CPU and my mobo supports dual channel and currently have 2 x 512 in there. One slot is one channel and the other two is the other channel, from my understanding in this case you could have 1GB in one slot and 512 in the others and still get dual channel?

If its loading times you're worrying about the hard drive also makes a big difference, even with only 1GB I'm still one of the first into a round thanks to 3 raptors in RAID 0
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6759|Salt Lake City

BellusEndus wrote:

Why is it single channel? I have the same CPU and my mobo supports dual channel and currently have 2 x 512 in there. One slot is one channel and the other two is the other channel, from my understanding in this case you could have 1GB in one slot and 512 in the others and still get dual channel?

If its loading times you're worrying about the hard drive also makes a big difference, even with only 1GB I'm still one of the first into a round thanks to 3 raptors in RAID 0
No, you don't have the same processor if it is dual channel.  A S939 3200+ has an operating frequency of 2.0GHz.  A S754 3200+ has an operating frequency of 2.2GH.  Unless he overclocking, and not mentioned that, a 2.2GHz 3200+ is a Newcastle core S754 CPU.

A S939 CPU with an operating frequency of 2.2GHz is the 3500+.

Then again, I have been stating this information based on his processor being an A64.  If he has the old XP core, he should have stated that, because it makes a big difference.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2006-05-11 11:05:31)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6620|Seattle

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

No, you don't have the same processor if it is dual channel.  A S939 3200+ has an operating frequency of 2.0GHz.  A S754 3200+ has an operating frequency of 2.2GH.  Unless he overclocking, and not mentioned that, a 2.2GHz 3200+ is a Newcastle core S754 CPU.

Then again, I have been stating this information based on his processor being an A64.  If he has the old XP core, he should have stated that, because it makes a big difference.
Dood, you know too much
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6799|Kansas, USA

BellusEndus wrote:

Wow, so much information in there don't know where to start. The motherboard is what decides if the system is capabale of Dual-Channel memory mode - not the CPU.

You CANNOT have 1GB in one channel and 2x512 in another channel for Dual channel memory.

The hard drive has little to do with loading times. The majority of loading time is dependant upon the processor and the memory because the delay is not in reading the data, but in decompressing it. Plus the "Verifying Client Data" is also CPU/Memory intensive.

I'm not familiar with the OPs motherboard. But I know that in many three slot systems in order to populate channels channels 2 & 3, those sticks had to be single-sided sticks (at least I think that is the correct term).
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6759|Salt Lake City

King_County_Downy wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Dood, you know too much
LOL.  I work as an network admin for a living, and have been a computer "enthusiest" for a number of years.  I even moderate in the CPU/Processors/overclocking, and video cards & display forums on a hardware web site, so some of this is just of second nature at this point. 
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6794|Atlanta, GA USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Okay, let me bring everyone up to snuff here.  His 3200+ running at 2.2GHz means that it is S754.  That means it is single channel, but he has a board with 3 slots. 

Populating all 3 slots is not recommended.  You will not have any problems using 1.5GB if you use 1 x 1GB and 1 x 512MB; I use this configuration without issue.  You will not have any problems using 2 x 1GB...just don't try to populate all 3 slots.

Oh, well, if the memory controller doesn't support dual channel, then disregard what I said.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6759|Salt Lake City

Okay, I'm actually going to revise my statement.  I made a grevious error that should never be done, I assumed he had an A64 based system; and we know what assuming does.  Now, if it is in fact an A64 based system, my previous recommendations still hold.

If, however, this is dealing with an older XP series CPU, then you should be fine populating all 3 slots.  If you have an nForce2 chipset based board, then it does support dual channel.  The two sockets clustered together, closest to the CPU, is channel 1, while the single slot spaced off slightly, and furthest from the CPU, is channel 2.  Because this configuration does not stack the DIMMs more than 2 deep in any channel, you should be good to go.  Just keep in mind that the XP took a really hard hit in performance when running the memory and FSB async, so if you have to run the memory slower than the FSB to make it stable, you are better with less memory, than having more and having to run async busses.  In this case I would still recommend using larger capacity modules to avoid this.
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6646|Edinburg
If I'm reading it right theres some conflicting information being given here. Assuming he's using an XP (which is what I've got - 3200 barton core running at 2.2GHz with nforce2 chipset) dung bomb seems to say 1gb and 2 512 will work (although you didn't say it would be in dual channel?) but psycho says this won't give dual channel. Or do you mean it won't give dual channel but will still have better performance than 2 x 512 in dual channel?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6690

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

You can run an S754 MB with 3 slots of RAM as long as you downgrade the speed to DDR333.  But in general, it's better as you noted above. 

OP, simple solution is to downgrade your RAM speed to DDR333 and you should be fine with all 3 slots populated.  Best solution is to get 2 1GB sticks.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-05-12 09:54:48)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6759|Salt Lake City

BellusEndus wrote:

If I'm reading it right theres some conflicting information being given here. Assuming he's using an XP (which is what I've got - 3200 barton core running at 2.2GHz with nforce2 chipset) dung bomb seems to say 1gb and 2 512 will work (although you didn't say it would be in dual channel?) but psycho says this won't give dual channel. Or do you mean it won't give dual channel but will still have better performance than 2 x 512 in dual channel?
Unless the manual stipulates otherwise, installing a single DIMM results in a 64-bit, single memory channel.  To activate dual channel install DIMMs in 1&3, 2&3, or 1,2&3.  At leas that is according to the AN35N Ultra manual for the nForce2 board that I used to have.

However, having dual channel really provides little to no speed benefit to the XP.  Remember, the XP used a traditional north bridge to supply the memory controller functions.  The bus between the north bridge and CPU is always a single 64-bit DDR bus.  As such, have a 128-bit (2 x 64-bit) busses going from the north bridge to the memory controller doesn't do much because you are limited by the single bus that feeds the CPU.  If you are running many several concurrent I/O functions that use DMA mode, then it might help a little; by this I mean if you are trying to feed data to/from the CPU while also having many other devices that need to access memory directly via the DMA channel, then it can help some.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2006-05-11 12:23:41)

Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6828|Portland, OR, USA

atlvolunteer wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Oh, well, if the memory controller doesn't support dual channel, then disregard what I said.
Yeah, there is NOTHING wrong with 3x512, you just can't run dual channel mode with it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

I have four 512MB modules, and I currently run two. I've tried putting the other two in, but then it did not allow for dual channel and additionaly, the speed defaulted down to DDR333. Performance in battlefield, though it wasn't quite as choppy when first loading a map, saw a significant and noticable framerate decrease, which gave me a headache.

Your results may vary.
Prince1215
+9|6670|New Jersey
more the ram the better i hade orginally in my old pc was 1gb of ram! my uncle build me this new pc and it is awesome 2gb of ram 256 agp radeon x850 pro xt! and a kick ass amd anthlon system wit a 160 gb hard drive for space and a 80 gb for storage wat can a person ask for more!?
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6656|USA
i went from .5 to 1.5 gig and its  HUGE difference.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard