The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6510|Los Angeles
Excellent guide, thanks for posting it
starman7
+15|6735
Nice guide... didn't realize just how vulnerable the tracks were until now.  Also, do you know any good way to pop some damage to a jeep before rocketing it? (sorta like how tanks will pop a few MG rounds into a jeep before firing their main gun to get an insta-kill).   Also, I'm a SMG fan... shotties can be a bit tough to handle close-up, and it's easier to spray/pray point-blank with 30 bullets than 6 cartridges.  I find that the USMC SMG are surprisingly effective, even at long range, in single-shot mode and if you click fast you can come close to full-auto.

Also, one major point you've missed-if you hit the rear of a tank at about a 45 degree angle, some sort of splash damage bug allows you to get a 1-hit flame kill.

I disagree with you on one fundamental point; I feel that AT is to neutralize the effectiveness of armor, NOT to rack up a kill count (which means killing drivers is less important to me, it's allowing the rest of your team to operate unhindered).

Also, it's best to travel in a squad with a support and a medic and maybe a second AT; support rearms and gives supressive anti-infantry fire, medic heals you (sometimes, you can't escape some main gun splash damage and MG), and 2 ATs can do a lot more than 1 AT.  That would make a very good dedicated H/K (Hunter/Killer) team, and even regular squads should travel with an AT for jeeps and the occasional APC/tank/AA kill.

One final note-stationary TOWs are more important than you think; it's often best to pop off that TOW and fire your missile in quick succession, given the LONG reload time.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6770
Stay tuned for the BF2142 guide to ATing, weak spots on all vehicles, how to kill walkers etc.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6791

NOOOO!!!!!  This guide is evil!!!! 

Good Job +1
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6401

(\_/)     (\_/)
(`-`)    (`-`)
(>  )><(  <)
Evil bunnies sealing pact over decision to give author of guide +1.
xgunnarosx
+0|6384
very helpful guide. will try to remember the soft spots on those tanks the next time. I also agree with you on the rockets needed to bomb a transport heli. One noticed a full chopper very lose to the ground full of passengers and got really excitet as a child on christmans eve. the first rocket was a hit and took out one opponent. The second was also a direct hit, but to my dismayit just flew away, albeit smoking, but I never saw any more kills appearing ony screen so I guess it got away. Pretty frustrating though , as it would only have needed a little bit firing until it exploded.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6355|Twyford, UK
A little to add here; I've recently taken to playing anti-tank and developed my own spin on it.

- You are small and squishy, tanks are big and armoured. Hide like a sissy, pop out and blast them when you can.

- The HUD is your friend. Spot them before firing if you have time, they'll show up on the map, and maybe someone else will take notice and come to your aid.

- Be a kill-stealing bastard. If you stumble across a tank in a fight already, fire when you see smoke.

- He has a machinegun too, you know. Fire, run off around a corner, and pop out to fire from somewhere different.

- They aren't ALL idiots. He won't fall for the same trick twice, change your firing points. Different corners.

- He can only see so high up. Stand on a sniper point and use guided missiles to your advantage.

- Chopper pilots are also idiots from time to time. If he's flying low and slow, whack him with a rocket. He deserves it for being such a moron.

- Defense! People come not expecting resistance. Hide and give them a nasty shock.

- Wreckage explodes. Don't teabag it if you want to have kids.

- For offense, speed is the key. Zip up in an FAV, bail, scarper, and hide nearby. Blast him, change positions, and prepare to blow up your car if someone steals it.

- Beware the jihad jeeps! Practice your reaction times, and snap off shots into the front. BELOW the windscreen, so it won't go through.

- The small stuff is also important. Blast anything that looks like you can pack more than one person in. Every little counts.

And a short guide on the DAO:

- It's a shotgun. Get close, aim for the head or chest, and tap that fire button!

- Sneak around carefully if you think there's someone there. They usually have full auto and longer range.

- Don't bite off more than you can chew. 4 shots is the average you'll need, and you can get that in 1 1/2 seconds or so. You have enough health to last two seconds under fire. One person at once!

- Hiding places. There are quite a few people use, but mostly all the same. Learn them, check first.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6334|New Haven, CT
I read this, and it helped immensely. Considering Anti-tank is my main class I play, I appreciated the advanced tips.

It surprises me, though, how stupid 95% of the anti-tank players I encounter while in armor are. I am merrily capturing some spawn point, and a guy pops out right in front me. Normally, this would be stupid, but it is doubly stupid because they stand there, guiding the rocket while susceptible to my machine gun. Obviously, they die easily. But when I don't kill them, usually because I twitch, they hit my turret. The only reason you attack a tank from the front is to get a tread shot. But they don't. I shudder to think what my rounds would be like with competent anti-tank players.

I disagree about the DAO-12, however. It does suck for long range. I agree with that. But it isn't unless. This is mainly because you have the pistol. The pistol is a great finishing weapon. Most tank drivers don't abandon the vehicles quickly enough to escape some of the blast from it exploding. With he pistol, you can easily pop them with three shots before they reach cover. Just dive down and use the sight. Also, since anti-tanking entails a lot of base defending, you are in close quarters. The DAO-12, being better at close quarters, lets you live long enough prevent a spawn point from being captured, while an SMG may lose you an infantry skirmish.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2007-01-03 16:50:42)

falafel
+5|6340
thx, i think AT is one of the hardest kits to play with, bad accuracy on the riffle make me an easy target playing AT, and i need the basic AT badge
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6334|New Haven, CT
Hop in a tank with AT and you will get ten kills very easily. If you lose an armor combat, hop out before you die and pop the enemy vehicle with a rocket. It usually kills them.
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6432|My room

G3|Genius wrote:

you know, I'm pretty freaking good at AT, but I never knew the weakpoints on a tank.  this will help me immensely.

+1 for that.

I disagree with you on the role of AT, though.  My favorite weapon is the DAO.  it was my very first unlock, and I have used no other gun nearly as much.  true, I have no long-range capabilities, but I don't really need them.  the only map I play frequently that has long range is Wake, but there's so much use for AT on that map that I still don't really need the long shot.
Maybe I'm special, but I can snipe with the DAO...hax?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6355|Twyford, UK
I have just found that standard SRAW/Eryx shots can take out a fighter jet in a single shot. This makes it perfect for basecamping, as you can wait for someone to get in, and then rocket them on the runway.

Also, the AT class is a VERY effective anti-chopper system. Two rocket hits take out a chopper, and it usually takes 3 or 4 to actually get the kill. At the very least, you can force them off back to base.
Best time is when they're hovering and capturing flags. The indecision and confusion caused from taking heavy fire while that low often allows for a second shot quickly.
deathpunker
+1|6322
Very nice dude
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6729|Melbourne, Australia
your guide is all wrong all pro at players use the dao
because at range they just use the rockets or pistol (Pistols are great when your at) you just need good aim
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6576|England

This is a very good guide. I have a lot of time as AT and use it all the time. The tactics in this guide are solid.

The only thing I would add, is to give little warning about SRAW rockets. Most tank drivers will put up smoke and move backwards/forwards as soon as they get a lock tone against them, meaning your rockets can often miss.
So, aim your rocket just in front of a tank, then as the rocket gets nearer, aim directly at the tank. The rocket will swerve and hit it, giving the driver little warning tone and no time to avoid the rocket. He will assume you are very close to him, making him panic.
Works every time.
Earl Jr.
+2|6225|Alaska

Snake wrote:

Most tank drivers will put up smoke and move backwards/forwards as soon as they get a lock tone against them, meaning your rockets can often miss.
I just wait for the smoke to dissipate, and hit them just as they come out of their cloud.  Remember, even though you can't see them, they can't see you either so you are fairly safe.
hanbbu
+1|6123
"Also, learn to utilize arcs so that you can have nice turns that shoot around corners, underground (rockets can fly underground if shot properly) and other ways to aid your attack." Found this in the class info of anti-tank. Could some one please explane this to me? How do I shoot an at-rocket underground?
hacefrio
+4|6254
Nice guide

One question though...How can I get a guaranteed kill on jeeps and FAVs.  Many times when they come straight at me, my AT rocket goes straight through them.  I saw a post where it said shoot below the windshield but anything more specific?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6355|Twyford, UK
Aim at the front axle, steering it down from above, or at the chassis from the side or rear. It passes through because you're firing through the gaps.
Find an empty server and practice your aim with the rockets for a while.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6158|San Antonio, Texas

hacefrio wrote:

Nice guide

One question though...How can I get a guaranteed kill on jeeps and FAVs.  Many times when they come straight at me, my AT rocket goes straight through them.  I saw a post where it said shoot below the windshield but anything more specific?
You want a sure fire kill? Easy.

Never (unless you love watching the birds in the sky as you're twitching on the floor) shoot when the car is coming toward you at full speed! I've never hit a car coming at me with a rocket.

-Evade them, and if they leave you alone, they're messing with the wrong kit! Your missile is guided for a reason, so as they're speeding away, guess what, your rocket is faster than the car, believe it or not. Guide it home, and it never misses, unless your guiding is poor.

-Evade them and they turn to try and run you down. As they're turning, they may slow down, best time to blast them! If not, dodge again. It's only a matter of time before they hit something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard