lilmike815
+2|6765|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.
I see alot of peopel talka about Gaming monitors but are they HD. I know some LCD TV's have DVI imputs for a computer but what about regular monitors??? Blue Ray and HD DVD will have high resolution so will the Monitors out now support them? Or maybe im just looking over the Monitors that have HD support. Im familiar with how they rate TV's with different specs like blah blah dpi and what not, but I dont see that for the different monitors. I 'm think it has something to do wit hteh resolution but i dont know what is HD for Monitors.

Thanks for teh help.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6645|Planet Seibertron ;)

lilmike815 wrote:

I see alot of peopel talka about Gaming monitors but are they HD. I know some LCD TV's have DVI imputs for a computer but what about regular monitors??? Blue Ray and HD DVD will have high resolution so will the Monitors out now support them? Or maybe im just looking over the Monitors that have HD support. Im familiar with how they rate TV's with different specs like blah blah dpi and what not, but I dont see that for the different monitors. I 'm think it has something to do wit hteh resolution but i dont know what is HD for Monitors.

Thanks for teh help.
The problem with the term 'high-definition' is that there's nothing to dictate what is considered high-def and what isn't.  However, in HDTV marketing, we have various terms such as 480p, 720p, and 1080i (or p).  These numbers are simply the number of horizontal lines the TV/display is capable of showing.  One can argue or say that computer monitors have been capable of high-definition viewing for years.  In some technical sense, this is true.  1280x1024 of your typical 19in monitor is as close to 1080 resolution as you can get, even though the aspect ratio is completely incorrect when compared to HDTV.

Some HDTV models that have a DVI port can be fed video from a computer.  Panels/LCD monitors usually sports one as well (although cheap models tend to have only analog input).  Either can be used to view the desktop from the computer.  The difference is the resolution.  For instance, a mid-range HDTV display may be capable of widescreen 480p display, yet the 19" monitor is capable of 1280x1024.  This is a huge difference in what you able to view in general, despite that the HDTV display in this example may be 30" in size.

I can try to answer more but the question you ask seems to be a bit of a jumble.  If what I posted answered what you asked, then goodie.  If not, we'll try again.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6775|Portland, OR, USA

What's the dot-pitch on a HDTV? i.e. how does it compare to a Monitor?

But anyway, just use black bars on your monitor. I run true 1080i on my 19" CRT all the time (I have a bunch of HDTV .ts streams that I watch). You just gotta kick the resolution up to 1920x1440, otherwise your PC is shrinking the image which results in higher CPU usage and a lesser quality video.

Here's some stuff for you to play around with:

* Matrix 1080i Screenshot (full file is like 12 gigs, lol)

https://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7199/thematrix1080ihdtvsampleimage9.th.jpg

* Microsoft WMV HD Showcase - a ton of free WMV HD movie trailers (the "Dust to Glory" one is especially sweet)

* Apple Movie Trailers - a bunch of movie trailers in QuickTime format, many in HDTV resolution

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-05-03 17:49:34)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
lilmike815
SixShot said the question I was was a bit of a jumble so  i will ask again.

Can I watch HDTV on today's LCD's, DO they need to say they are HD or have some special input (i.e. DVI).

I ask ask the question because I want to start researching for a new computer and I wanna be able to no just play games but also use it for HD movie and TV Watching. So I want to know what features I should look for in a monitor.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6645|Planet Seibertron ;)

lilmike815 wrote:

Can I watch HDTV on today's LCD's, DO they need to say they are HD or have some special input (i.e. DVI).

I ask ask the question because I want to start researching for a new computer and I wanna be able to no just play games but also use it for HD movie and TV Watching. So I want to know what features I should look for in a monitor.
As far as viewing HD content on computer monitors via computers, that's easily done.  So in some sense, yes you can view them using that.  But it's only one variable out of many...

TV viewing through the use of the computer will severely limit you as to what you can watch overall.  Viewing HDTV channels over the air is no problem, since there are tuner cards available that can handle it.  The problem will be what to do when it comes to HDTV channels through cable, as that can be a hit-or-miss thing, and will vary from provider to provider.  This is due to the encryption that some cable providers use to protect their HDTV content.  Some do it, some don't.  Another fallback is the hardware available made ot handle HDTV content that is encrypted.  The hardware for that is very limited and may not even work for you.  This side is when you wish to have the hardware in the computer... like your everyday conventional TV tuner cards out there today.

On the other end are the hardware that exists outside the computer box, such as a digital receiver, HDTV receiver, and whatever else associated.  For that, viewing HDTV on your computer monitor becomes a little tricky.  HDTV reception tuners will have one or two output, perhaps more.  One that is likely definite is using component cables.  These cables come in 3 wires and are both letter and color coded.  They appear like your typical RCA jacks that you see for audio and video (ie. red, white, and yellow).  If the only output from the HDTV tuner is that, then viewing it on your computer monitor depends heavily on whether it can accept such input.  Computer monitors/panels of this kind is very rare, and probably will carry a heavy price premium compared to others.  The other type of output that the HDTV tuner may have is what is called a HDMI port, which is short for High Definition Multimedia Interface.  At this time, I have never heard of a computer monitor capable of accepting this as input, unlike other HDTV displays where you're likely to find both DVI and HDMI video inputs.

Working around these limitations is going to be more troublesome than it is worth.  There exists a converter that takes HDTV component video input and converts the interface into VGA.  But that's an additional hardware expense that is likely to be not worth spending over.

In short... Can you view HD content on the computer?  It is definitely possible.  Can you watch HDTV on the computer?  The hardware exists for over-the-air reception and is scarce/rare for cable reception.  What should you look for if you wish to view HDTV?  If you're going to be watching HD movies, get a widescreen computer monitor as a starting requirement.  TV, however, you're going to have to live with standard-definition video.  Your other alternative, which will encompass and provide you with everything (at the cost of higher-resolution), is to find a good HDTV display that'll accept DVI for input.

If you need a suggestion as to what you should get, people have found Dell, Samsung, and Viewsonic to be pretty good for widescreen monitors.  The quality will vary between but someone will have to take over from here on out, as I have limited knowledge on this particular area.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

lilmike815 wrote:

As we said, it's just a matter of resolution.

Simply put, yes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Viper007Bond wrote:

lilmike815 wrote:

As we said, it's just a matter of resolution.

Simply put, yes.
Whatever the stats may be on paper, you absolutely, positively want to see any screen in action, in-person, before you make a purchasing decision.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, dot pitch, contrast amount, brightness, etc. all factor into the quality of a display.
lilmike815
I saw some LCD TV's with DVI ports and what not. But i was hopping i didnt have to go that route. I guess i just make a game PC and leave it at that and leave the HD to non PC stuff. I was reading someelse also, i belive at firingsquad.com, they talked about high defenition liscencing(sp?). Well the gist of it was that current high end video cards couldn't read HD conent because the device need soem special code. The article said that some of the media center PC's video cards had this but not the normal ones. They said that the DVD could still be viewed but it would be signifigant lose of quality. I will post the article if I can find it. It was posted in this forum before...I will try and post a reply ASAP

EDIT:  http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati … p_support/

found it in two seconds.......

1. So i guess final thought would be just to waill till DX10 and get a HD LCDTV with DVI or HDMI if i really want to get a HD experience with with the new DVD formats and HD TV broadcast through my computer(baring no serious complications with cbale company blah blah blah)?

2. What about Phone companies talking about bringing Video to home? Will that require new equipment or will you just be able to use something like a VIIV( http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/description.htm).

I saw this huge HD LCD TV with a VIIV computer on it in best buy. You could easily go back and foward between the PC and live  TV. But i guess that just like Regular media center PC's...I think im rambling again so I will stop this before I confuse people about what im asking.

Oh oh oh one last thing can plasmas's support PC inputs.....Becaue all the flat panel Monitors I have seen have been LCD.

Ok i think thats it for now.

EDIT 2: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe … ode=231791

I think i just answered my own question i think this had all the stats I would want.

Last edited by lilmike815 (2006-05-06 17:40:57)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

lilmike815 wrote:

I guess i just make a game PC and leave it at that and leave the HD to non PC stuff. I was reading someelse also, i belive at firingsquad.com, they talked about high defenition liscencing(sp?).
I don't think it will be very long be too long before games developers release high-definition material en masse, though. But for current purposes, a regular old LCD or CRT will be fine.
bubbass
humble
+61|6539
I use this for a monitor and to watch HD tele. I enjoy it and have no complaints.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard