• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz?
WinstontheWolf
+11|6709

sixshot wrote:

I was a bit late on the reply... just got my new video card from EVGA so I'm rushing to get some backups done that I had backlogged.

Let's see... a 460W ought to be enough.  You'll probably need to make sure that it also has a PCI Express power connector so that it can cope with the power-hungry cards out there.  You can take a 'guesstimate' on the kind of power you need using this site here.  It's always tricky trying to gauge just how much power you need for the setup that you're going to have and the setup you may end up upgrading to.
Hm, don't know if I typed in the exact right numbers, but I got 295W. Well, I guess it's not gonna damage anything to have a coupple hundred more W's Btw I went for the Tagan 530 cause I saw some good reviews on it and some premade computer specs, and they were using it with a FX60. So, then I thought I'd be safe..

Again thanks for helping me out. 1 more karma for you
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

sixshot wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

sixshot wrote:

The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board I used to have was a major major MAJOR pain in the butt to deal with.
qft, +1

It couldn't run my Corsair 2-2-2-5 memory and 6800 Ultra video card at proper speeds without crashing Unreal every five seconds. I was rather irritated at the glowing reviews it got from websites (who apparently wanted to continue receiving parts from MSI for testing). Swapped it as soon as I could for an Asus A8V which, ironically enough for VIA, was smooth and worlds more stable than that MSI.
Weird... because when I had it running with my setup, it was a smooth ride. 

It's probably one of those isolated incidents but it is true what the reviewers said, the board is rock solid as a product.  All those horror stories that people had with a particular brand or model just happens to be that one combination out of a billion that doesn't mesh well.
Since this was bought around Oct/Nov '04, I'm willing to give MSI the benefit of the doubt that it may not have been their best revision. But since I've read about dozens of similiar difficulties requiring RMA or shop swaps, it sadly does not seem to have been an isolated issue. But at the same time, most others have had, as you said, smooth rides with the Neo 2.
WinstontheWolf
+11|6709
Well heres some feedback on the 4000+ I got... I am always among the 5 first to load the maps, and no lag at all on medium settings. I played some on high settiings, but I had some (very little, but some..) lag then. Anyway this is a great cpu;). Again, thanks for all your comments!
link52787
+29|6541
I have a X2 3800 and it runs games fine with no problems.  I dont have to set affinity and my games runs with out crashes although ppl tell me to set affinity.
LoMaX
+24|6553|Sweden is banned from hell ;)
Hi All.

I had a small pocket of money and chose a 3700+ w 1MB cache. (2GB RAM + 7800GT 512 MB)

I run BF2 with highest settings at 1280x1024 smooth as a baby tiger. When I have the money I will invest in an X2 4800 or such, when needed.

/LoMaX
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735
X2 since its a dual core, which is more future proof. and do not bump old threads up
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6638

link52787 wrote:

I have a X2 3800 and it runs games fine with no problems.  I dont have to set affinity and my games runs with out crashes although ppl tell me to set affinity.
Same here!
slo5oh
+28|6680

LoMaX wrote:

Hi All.

I had a small pocket of money and chose a 3700+ w 1MB cache. (2GB RAM + 7800GT 512 MB)

I run BF2 with highest settings at 1280x1024 smooth as a baby tiger. When I have the money I will invest in an X2 4800 or such, when needed.

/LoMaX
LoMax,
You should have taken a picture of your chip before you put it in.  If you got a good stepping it might overclock like a mad man.  There's lots of guys OCing that chip over on extremeoverclocking.com (NOT .net).  Nothing like a little extra speed for free. 
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard