WarmPudgy
+41|6603|Arkansas
im completely replacing my old computer with all new hardware
but im wanting to at least upgrade my current vga on my old computer (9800 pro)

so any one know what the best agp card is right now?  or have a preference to a specific one?
wachtler83
+22|6601|Columbus,Ohio
nividia 7800 only one for agp i think itsfrom bfgtech.com
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6751|Salt Lake City

The X850XT/PE are about on par with the 7800GS for speed.  However, I think you will find that the 7800GS is easier to find and costs less because of it.
wayneakagod
+17|6762
This
is probably your best bet. The newest AGP card around.

The Inquirer wrote:

A cute thing for AGP supporters. Gainward is shipping the BLISS Geforce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail and it will cost you a saucy £352.44 including VAT. There is no doubt that this is the fastest AGP card to date and it is available now. Its secret is that it uses 7900 GT chip inside clocked at 450MHz+ core and 1250MHz + memory. It has a fully functional 24 pipes and we are looking forward to test this baby. You can buy it here. So the company is back to its old unique overclocking routes.

Last edited by wayneakagod (2006-05-01 11:44:23)

Janus67
Tech God
+86|6610|Ohio, USA
as others have said the 7800gs is the best price/performance on the AGP bus.  since you said you are going to replace all the old hardware with new hardware, why are you wasting the money on the old computer?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6751|Salt Lake City

I also have to agree with some of the comments about using AGP if you are going to do any type of major upgrade.  A good motherboard can be found fairly inexpensively, and would make far more sense.  If you go with PCI-e you have a much larger variety of cards to choose from, and will find an even better price/performance ratio because of it.
WarmPudgy
+41|6603|Arkansas
no no, i guess i didnt say that right

im making a new computer to replace the one im currently using
i will be using a pci-e card and mobo, but the 9800 pro is falling behind, and id like to replace just that on the old system

+1 all thanks for the help
JediNite
+3|6693
I just replaced my video card on an AGP based system and installed a 128 MB Leadtek 6600GT Card and it works quite well...  Cost me about $200 AUD...
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6690|Planet Seibertron ;)
Hard for me to not chime in on this one... so here goes.

Factoring a 9800Pro as a video card, I find it hard to justify getting a faster one at this time.  At the moment and as others said, the 7800GS is the fastest AGP card at this time.  However, the major downside is the price.  The amount paying for a card of this caliber heavily outweighs the benefits you'll gain from it.  I had this very same issue when I wanted a faster video card.  But what I have seen is a massive shift from aging AGP to newer and better PCI Express.

I have personally used the 9800 Pro in Doom3, UT200x, and in BF2.  All of them performed fairly well without major problems.  Limited to your typical 1024x768 resolution, framerate has been satisfactory.  My suggestion is to scrap the idea of getting a card better than the 9800 Pro.  Keep that video card for as long as possible until it literally dies out on you.  The card is robust and powerful enough to handle practically everything right now.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6671|Chandler, AZ
Though it may not be form EVGA, or BFG, or XFX...This card is probably the fastest 7800GS on the makret at this moment...

http://www.gainward.net/products/produc … ucts_id=29

But upgrading from a 9800Pro isnt gonna do much for you....Id suggest a 6600GT as a slight upgrade, and a 7800GS as a major upgrade...

But if I were you, id save that money and keep the 9800Pro right where it is....as there isnt much of an upgrade for it at the moment...Atleast not one that makes sense...
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6820|Portland, OR, USA

WarmPudgy wrote:

im completely replacing my old computer with all new hardware
but im wanting to at least upgrade my current vga on my old computer (9800 pro)

so any one know what the best agp card is right now?  or have a preference to a specific one?
Well, unless the computer is pretty kickass, getting a top of the line AGP card is overkill. A 6800 GT will do and it'll save you some dough.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

The 6800 Ultra seems to outperform the 7800GS, but the latter is cheaper, unless you can snag a 6800 from ebay.

WarmPudgy wrote:

no no, i guess i didnt say that right

im making a new computer to replace the one im currently using
i will be using a pci-e card and mobo, but the 9800 pro is falling behind, and id like to replace just that on the old system

+1 all thanks for the help
I understood you the first time. Sometimes people don't read things thoroughly. That 9800 Pro should work just fine in your old system.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-05 02:54:57)

iamtheoneneo
+16|6684
i have a 6600gt which iv overclocked. pretty cheap very good, but yeh i didnt relaised they released the 7800 on agp yet? if they have then get that if you can afford it - lush card
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

wayneakagod wrote:

This

The Inquirer wrote:

A cute thing for AGP supporters. Gainward is shipping the BLISS Geforce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail and it will cost you a saucy £352.44 including VAT. There is no doubt that this is the fastest AGP card to date and it is available now. Its secret is that it uses 7900 GT chip inside clocked at 450MHz+ core and 1250MHz + memory. It has a fully functional 24 pipes and we are looking forward to test this baby. You can buy it here. So the company is back to its old unique overclocking routes.
Whoever writes for The Inquirer sure likes the word 'saucy.' Yet...it is somehow fitting. You'd think they're selling little bars of gold.

lol

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-05 22:08:13)

Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6771|Hell, p.o box 666

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wayneakagod wrote:

This

The Inquirer wrote:

Whoever writes for The Inquirer sure likes the word 'saucy.' Yet...it is somehow fitting. You'd think they're selling little bars of gold.

lol
lol2... but The Inquirer is wrong. The Gainward Bliss 7800GS 512MB doesnt use the GPU 7900GT but the 7800GT.

And wtf? This card is around 399€ (520 US$), way too expensive. For the same money you´ll get a average new PCI-E Motherboard and 7900GT 256MB which is 15-20% faster then a 7800GS APG or 5% then a 7800GTX 256MB

You´ll get a good XFX non-oc 7800GS 256MB for about 290€, but none of the AGP cards is a par for the PIC-E.

For AGP take a 7800GS non-oc, put a good cooler on it like Zalman VF900C and do some oc by yourself, other cards like those gainwardthingys are unnecessary.

You think I´m a smartass? Yeah, check my systems here and then come back to me http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=7005&p=7
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

You think I´m a smartass? Yeah, check my systems here and then come back to me http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=7005&p=7
But surely, my dear man, you have more than just three?
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6771|Hell, p.o box 666

yeah just building my 4th QuadSli 4TW
BigRuss1534
Meat Puppet
+1|6651|North Carolina, USA
I'm still behind the times, so I've been using an (AGP) desktop (Dell P4-2.8) for BF2 that I originally upgraded with a 6600GT AGP card, 400w PS, and 1 gb ram.

This set-up worked fine, but with the advent of newer technology in the 7800 and 7900 series chips from NVIDIA, there was more benefit to upgrading again than simply a little faster processor (TAA, 3.0 shaders, faster GDDR3 VRAM).

NVIDIA's release of the 7800 based AGP card was brilliant.  It not only filled an AGP upgrade niche, but it also provided a way to for NVIDIA to market chips that otherwise wouldn't have been good enough to make it onto PCI-E cards.
I don't want to erroneously repeat technical jargon that I read while doing research of my own, so I'll just say that the 7800GS far out performs my 6600GT by using newer technology as well as a few more horses.

Plus, the damn thing runs at only 50 deg.C. with a full load.  Because of this, it only takes up one card slot, and has no heat-related problems.

Although the 6800 Ultra is probably still the fastest AGP card (if you can find one), it runs way hotter than most other cards.

I have now upgraded to an e-VGA 7800gs superclocked, and added another gig of ram (2).  It runs BF2 with no problems or stutter, and I have invested much less than I would have if I had made the full PCI-E upgrade.
I love this E-VGA card, which was the fastest available when I bought it in March, and it only cost me about $309 from New Egg.

Now if I can only get the VoIP to work again since installing TeamSpeak, I'll be happy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard