rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6605|England
Am I the only one who thinks that if someone is an admin on a server, they shouldn't also be playing at the same time. I'm talking about being a ghost presence that doesn't spawn, at all. IMO they shouldn't be given a team, or take up slots out of max players. This should fix most of those abusive admins who kick players for killing them etc. or those who just idle in armour for hours on end.
If you're going to admin something like a ranked server, which so many people take seriously, you need to be objective, and the point of being an admin isn't to gain points but to keep the game fair for those who are playing.
Just my opinion, so these people can devote their time to the job they are supposed to be doing.
davblos
+4|6748|Melb, Australia
Fair point.

It's pretty hard to make administrative decisions when you've got buckley's idea of what's going on.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6671|USA
Good idea....

But to some "admins" the point of paying for a server is to exploit it for thier own point-whoring purposes.

I like the idea though.
DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6666|Birmingham
i am an admin. you often only get one sided arguements when your looking at the bf2cc client so when you are in game it makes it easier to get a feel of what is going on. i normally play [and actually play not just sit there] whilst being admin, if something isnt right then its just Alt+Tab and i take according action. remember, admins pay to have that server so if there is one admin 'ghosting' then it shouldnt be much of an issue but i can understand if it were to be like 6 of them doing it.

i understand where you are coming from though with you are there to be an admin not gain points. but we have at least 4 admins present at any one time so not much is missed.

i hope that helps a little bit if not then i will try harder
Bernadictus
+1,055|6745

Hmm, sounds like a pretty good solution, although it would face some difficulties.

Admins on servers are also to be allowed to play, you can't refuse them/ghost them on their own paid server.
And if an admin is the only one on a server he should be able to do administrative tasks.

Hosting providers should look at the age they are assigning gaming server to. If you take out everything below 18, which wouldn't be a bad idea, you should have less retarded administrators.

But those are just my couple of cents.
arson
+99|6645|New York
What admin just wants to sit there while everyone else is playing?  I doubt many and I really don't know of any. Usually they tend to monopolize vehicles,  kick whoever pwns them and  ignore rule violations when its happening to the other team. Watch how fast they react when the disturbance is on their side lol...Its safe to say that admin abuse runs rampant  throught the BF2 server's.  The good servers have checks and balances in place so you can make notes of any admin abuse on their public forums.  Its a tough job to properly admin a server and my hats off to those that do it well......
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6655
Good luck finding people who just want to sit back and watch people play instead of play the game they paid $50 for.
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6688|Denver, CO
I hate it when Admins kick you for something you didn't do just because you owned some noob and he screamed out "ADMIN!!! INCSOC IS BASERAPING!!" ... all i can manage to say is "WTF!" before i see the "You've been kicked" screen.  Through out all my gaming, only once did an Admin ask for my explanation and decided not to kick me.  90% of the time they don't even bother warning you.
Flembo70
+0|6653

rh27 wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that if someone is an admin on a server, they shouldn't also be playing at the same time. I'm talking about being a ghost presence that doesn't spawn, at all. IMO they shouldn't be given a team, or take up slots out of max players. This should fix most of those abusive admins who kick players for killing them etc. or those who just idle in armour for hours on end.
If you're going to admin something like a ranked server, which so many people take seriously, you need to be objective, and the point of being an admin isn't to gain points but to keep the game fair for those who are playing.
Just my opinion, so these people can devote their time to the job they are supposed to be doing.
Never going to happen.

Find server with decent Admins who at least attempt to keep the game fair and then make it your home, OR, rent your own and make it a home for others.
The Soup Nazi
+18|6796|North Lauderdale, FL

arson wrote:

What admin just wants to sit there while everyone else is playing?  I doubt many and I really don't know of any. Usually they tend to monopolize vehicles,  kick whoever pwns them and  ignore rule violations when its happening to the other team. Watch how fast they react when the disturbance is on their side lol...Its safe to say that admin abuse runs rampant  throught the BF2 server's.  The good servers have checks and balances in place so you can make notes of any admin abuse on their public forums.  Its a tough job to properly admin a server and my hats off to those that do it well......
I spend the majority of my time "ghosting" when I am wearing my admin tags.  Our admins have to live by a simple rule- "Do not act on what other people have said- rather, you have to see it for yourself."  Although it's (seemingly) impossible to watch every aspect of the game at all times, you can catch the majority of rule-breakers from in-game chat.  If you notice someone saying that a player is harassing them on the helipad, I ghost over the helipad and wait for a repeat performance. 

The way it works on our server, if you want to actually "play" the game, admins are requested to remove their admin prefix tags.  That way they have a lesser chance of being harassed by other players and enjoy their game.  Playing with the admin tags on is not recommended.  Not only can you not see what is going on outside of your field of vision, but players on the other team may think that your team will be getting "special treatment" because of your prescence on the battlefield.

I don't really enjoy ghosting and I get frustrated when people I've kicked for an offense before come back and do it again and again and again...  But someone has to do it and try to keep the server running as clean and efficient as possible.  I look forward to the day that BF2142 comes out and (hopefully) most of the BF2 smacktards will leave.

Last edited by The Soup Nazi (2006-05-05 05:43:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard